PDA

View Full Version : Serena Out of Shape?

locawilliams
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Do you think Serena is out of shape that is why she is not competing. Do you think while she was out she did not practise at all. I am wondering if the reason why she withdraw from Paris is because she is not physically ready yet.

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I haven't the faintest idea why Serena Williams isn't playing. I don't think anyone but her trainer and possibly her doctor have any real knowledge about her physical condiditon. And only a few others know about her practice regimen.

Janet
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Please, Serena out of shape don't think soooooooo.......just watch and see when she returns serena does thinks on her own term........

malaye
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
From the look of those pics in Sports illustrated, there is nothing wrong with her shape(s)

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM
:lol:

tennnisfannn
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:08 PM
What do you mean by out of shape. Has she put on weight? I think not, on the contary she seems to have lost some, she looks slimmer, less mascular in the t.v appearances she has made. But a player could get slimmer and be out of shape/condition like Daniela was last year, lost both weight and form. We can only tell what form serena is when when she actually starts playing again.

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:15 PM
She's recovering forem knee surgery and hasn't play a competition match in seven months. OF COURSE she's out of shape! And given the running, cutting, hard-hitting game Serena plays, returning when she's less than 100% gives her a big chance of injuring something else. Look what happened to Venus.

I just HAD knee surgery (February 5th), after resting the knee for a couple months to heal ligament damage.. I've started rehabbing and it's really damn annoying all the things I can't do, or can't do painlessly. But the doctor warned me it's long road back to 'painless'. For months going forward, I'm at risk of the knee swelling up, or being excessively sore. That's not new damage. It's just part of the normal recovery progress. I'm not going to be doing ten mile runs for a looooong time.

Please.

Be rational.

malaye
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Get well soon Volcana.

tennnisfannn
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM
All the best Volcano

SerenaSlam
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
i don't think serena is out of shape, i think she has been delaying her comeback b/c form wise she isn't where she wants to be.

she was quoted as saying she wants to comeback with a bang, so i don't think she wants to come back with a lot of kinks and rust when she does comeback. so i just think her "form" isn't where she wants to be. if serena is out of shape it would be evident. i don't think she has lost nore gained any weight.

Knizzle
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:00 PM
If anything Serena saw how Venus came back and wasn't 100% and feared the same thing would happen to her.

ys
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Well, she, by her own definition had minor knee surgery ( which was supposed to take 2 monthes to heal ) and now she is out for almost 8 months. Steffi back in 1997-1998 was back sooner than that after she had a major ( was it a reconstructive?) knee surgery. One thing is obvious - there is a lie in official story, either the surgery was not a minor, or something is not going well, or maybe Serena is just taking her time off and is not really eager to get back on Tour ASAP.

for-sure
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Well, she, by her own definition had minor knee surgery ( which was supposed to take 2 monthes to heal ) and now she is out for almost 8 months. Steffi back in 1997-1998 was back sooner than that after she had a major ( was it a reconstructive?) knee surgery. One thing is obvious - there is a lie in official story, either the surgery was not a minor, or something is not going well, or maybe Serena is just taking her time off and is not really eager to get back on Tour ASAP.

Reminds me when Serena kept saying that Venus was out-playing her in practice. So much so that Serena felt 'bad' that she could not put up more of a fight against Venus. Venus later point-blank said it was a lie.

RoanHJ
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Do you think Serena is out of shape that is why she is not competing. Do you think while she was out she did not practise at all. I am wondering if the reason why she withdraw from Paris is because she is not physically ready yet.

I don't think she's out of shape. Serena will come back and will win again and again. :banana: Granted she may suffer a loss here and there as she gets back into tournament play, but hey, that's normal after being out so long. I think in just a few months we'll see her back and playing some more great tennis. Serena has years to still play this game. :clap2:

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM
We all know she isn't rushing up her return to the tour for obvious reasons, not only for medical reasons. I say good for her. This injury, regardless of how serious it is, exposed her to other possibilities and gave her the opportunity to do some things aside from tennis.

steve437
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:49 PM
From the look of those pics in Sports illustrated, there is nothing wrong with her shape(s)
Yeah, I'd like to see a lot more women players as 'out of shape' as Serena (shares in sports bra manufacturers would certainly rise!)

William Hunt
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Serena is havind motivation problems, right now the chance that she will never return is 90%.

DeDe4925
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:35 PM
She's recovering forem knee surgery and hasn't play a competition match in seven months. OF COURSE she's out of shape! And given the running, cutting, hard-hitting game Serena plays, returning when she's less than 100% gives her a big chance of injuring something else. Look what happened to Venus.

I just HAD knee surgery (February 5th), after resting the knee for a couple months to heal ligament damage.. I've started rehabbing and it's really damn annoying all the things I can't do, or can't do painlessly. But the doctor warned me it's long road back to 'painless'. For months going forward, I'm at risk of the knee swelling up, or being excessively sore. That's not new damage. It's just part of the normal recovery progress. I'm not going to be doing ten mile runs for a looooong time.

Please.

Be rational.

Finally, a word from someone who's actually had knee surgery. Thanks for the input Volcana and I hope that your knee gets back to normal soon. Actually, I think half the people hatin on Serena have never had surgery on any part of their body in their life. :wavey:

DeDe4925
Feb 17th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Reminds me when Serena kept saying that Venus was out-playing her in practice. So much so that Serena felt 'bad' that she could not put up more of a fight against Venus. Venus later point-blank said it was a lie.
That's a lie. Both were talking to reporters and joking about each other. It was of course the same old question, "how does it feel playing against your sister" and Serena said after the Wimby final that Venus was hitting better than her during practice and giggling when she said it, and Venus giggled and said that that was not true, that Serena was hitting better than her during practice. That's called having differing opinions or one sister giving a compliment to the other and vice versa, which my sisters and I do to each other all the time. You make it seem like a vicious/malicious lie that Serena told.
:fiery:

Jakeev
Feb 17th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I don't think she's out of shape. Serena will come back and will win again and again. :banana: Granted she may suffer a loss here and there as she gets back into tournament play, but hey, that's normal after being out so long. I think in just a few months we'll see her back and playing some more great tennis. Serena has years to still play this game. :clap2:
And that is the key is how well she will do in her first few tournaments.

*JR*
Feb 17th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Serena is havind motivation problems, right now the chance that she will never return is 90%.
That's a pretty high degree of certitude! On what do you base it? :confused:

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 17th, 2004, 11:52 PM
I think Serena is not in top playing shape and only playing against other players will get her that. I think Serena is in shape, probably as best shape that she can be in not having played in months.

With respect to "motivation" problems. Serena's last match was at Wimbledon -- she was she so unmotivated that she still won?

BigTennisFan
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:36 AM
LIES!!! :lol:

davenport_1
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:51 AM
I think Serena has to work extra hard to keep off extra weight because she's built like a heavier person. It's Very likely that she gained weight.

vettipooh
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:05 AM
I think Serena is probably weighing a life off the court with no injuries,vs a life on court with constant injuries,and she may be having a tough time making the decision for various reasons unknown to us. Venus just came back from injury and is injured again.That ,plus every time we turn around, someone withdraws with some type of injury,must not sit too well with Serena.It must be difficult to indulge in a sport where one is so easily injured.Knee, shoulder,thigh,hip,leg,back,muscle,wrist,chest,eve n buttocks[Petrova],you name it.I know we want to see our faves return to the courts,but give Serena a chance.She'll be back in her own time and I'm sure she won't disappoint us!!!!