PDA

View Full Version : Did Hingis congratulate Jen on her OZ win?

Oizo
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:52 PM
I am sorry, I don`t wanna start any fight.
But shouldn`t you congratulate a player who won a Grand Slam in your speech? I watched this great final many times now and heard the speech, but couldn`t hear the word "Congratulation" in Martina`s words. :rolleyes:

harloo
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Don't know didn't see the ceremony. But if she didn't, maybe the loss for her was so devastating that she couldn't think straight. I know she walked away crying, because she let it slip away.

Snuffkin
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Don't know exactly, but she did say that Jennifer was just too good today, and then went on to mention about the Heineken. In all honesty, considering how distraught Martina must have felt, as a Jenn fan, I would very easily forgive her if she hadn't said anything straight after the match. Seeing them embrace each other after the match and the jokes they shared during the post-match speeches, reminded me that they hold each other in great respect. Any slip-up from Martina would have just been due to emotion. These two do get on, remember they played doubles together at the last Slam.

Personally, I thought under the circs, Martina gave a great speech

Oizo
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Well, yes. I agree with you Snuffkin. :angel:

Imelda
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:50 AM
No she didn't but she did however sneak into Stephen's room that night and well you know the rest... :rolleyes:

Jordan.
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Imelda
No she didn't but she did however sneak into Stephen's room that night and well you know the rest... :rolleyes:

:mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

Imelda
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Oh hon behave. :kiss: ;)

Lola
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:25 AM
Martina could have been nicer in her speech, but who cares about that? Not even Jenny...

joaco
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Lola, Martina actually did congratulate her after the speech.
When they were holding their trophies for the photos she told Jennifer that she deserved, Jen denied with a smile (modesty) and Martina told her that she had player better in the key points.

That's what I got from watching the tape over and over reading their lips :) (if you don't believe me, please be my guest) ;)

Lisbeth
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:28 AM
I thought Martina said something along the lines of "you were too good for me today, congratulations" in her speech.

Rollo
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Hingis showed a lot of class--considering the brutal conditions and having match points, she could have retired and not finished at all.

tenn_ace
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:13 AM
No she didn't but she did however sneak into Stephen's room that night and well you know the rest...

and that's supposed to be funny???:rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :confused:

go hingis
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:26 AM
I think Martina did a great job with her speach.

venusrocks
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:30 AM
who cares...i'm glad martina didn't congratulate FAF!

she didn't deserve it - she was just lucky :wavey:

destructo_girl
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Martina gave a great speech, especially under those circumstances.

She said Jennifer was too good, yada yada yada.

Which, in its way, takes a bigger person to say than a simple "Congrats".

At least, I think so.

mn73
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
LUCKY!!! Have you watched those four match points?!! Jennifer went for her shots when it counted!?! I will agree she was very close to losing, but it was guts that got her the win, not luck!!!

A lot of Martina Hingis fans may be disillusioned with that match, but I think it was an important step for Martina. She played well for a set and a half, mixed it up, denied Jennifer her speed and power and shotmaking skills. When she was in a winning position she faltered, but that is understandable - it meant such a lot to her and Jennifer was on the other side of the net the year before when she thought the win was in the bag after beating the Williams sisters.

Martina and her mother will have discussed the final. It was obvious Martina did not really believe in herself even when she was serving for the match at 6-4 5-3. It's a learning curve.

sartrista7
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:28 PM
I was impressed that Hingis could even speak at all - she must have been devastated. And it's not as if she didn't acknowledge Capriati.

Lola
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Joaco, I did not say martina hadn't congratulate Jenny. The only thing I have said was that Martina could have been nicer.
But it has been O.K.. I was surprised that Martina could even speak at all. Remember French Open '99...

RockSteady
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Martina could have been nicer? Did you expect her to shine Capriati's shoes after the most devestating loss of her career?

Lola
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Martina did not mean it. It was all fake: her smile, everything!

HAIL-VENUS
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:49 PM
I didn't hear Hingis' speech, or read her post-match interview so I don't know exactly what was said. I don't know what's the big deal about congratulating your opponents. It's not written anywhere that players have to immediately "suck-it-up" and rant and rave about just losing a GS final. I think it's a sign of good sportsmanship, but by no means is it a must. Especially, in this situation where it's been so long for Martina and she was so close to winning AO, I didn't consider her praising Jen for her victory, eventhough it was a great "comeback".

Keith
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:09 PM
I saw them talking at the ceremony...

It doesnt matter if Martina congratulated her. Jen won. A few congratulatory words will not change that

Oizo
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:37 PM
LOL@ LOLA.:wavey: Yes, that is true. ;)

AUSBOY
Feb 19th, 2002, 11:22 PM
What a joke of a topic

Martina couldn't have been more gracious in defeat than she was. Her speech was superb!

Given the heat, emotional state and the fact she had 4 match points and lost made her speech more remarkable and creditable.

Anyone who thinks Martina didn't congratulate Jennifer enough oughta go see a shrink!!!

Oizo
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:00 PM
How goofy to think that way. LMAO! :bounce:

Ryan
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:53 PM
I cant even believe people would expect her to congratulate FAF. She must have been devastated. And its not like Capriati would be listening, shed be too busy staring at the trohpy.

Lola
Feb 21st, 2002, 12:19 AM
Personally, I don't expect anything from Martina.
It doesn't matter if she congratulated Jenny or not, at least I don't care about it.

Oizo
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:23 AM
LOL@ LOLA !!!:bounce: :wavey: ;)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:51 PM
Lola, if you really don't care about it, then why have you replyed several times then? :rolleyes:

Lola
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:16 PM
I answered the question, have written my opinion about it and that's it! As simply as that. And yes, I don't care about it.
More questions, Marri?

:)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Feb 21st, 2002, 11:37 PM
As SIMPLE as that? yeah, sure I understand! I see that you don't care about it.

:wavey: