PDA

View Full Version : Were you ever a fan of a player you had never seen play?

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I know that I was a huge fan of Anna Smashnova...until I saw her play.

SJW
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
ummmmm...no

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Fan to me would be wishing luck upon her...and following her results.

SJW
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
oh....yea...i do that

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:58 PM
It's not being a "fan", it's simply being interested to her.

let's just say that if she was playing an I was looking at live scores on the internet I would be cheering for her.

gmak
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:08 PM
i was interested in Daniela at some point .... not that i disliked her when i saw her on TV but she never became a fave.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of Lindsay and have never seen her play :sad:

per4ever
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM
yep..I've been following Claudine Schaul for many years now..and I only saw her play live in Antwerp last year :)

Reichen
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:11 PM
let's just say that if she was playing an I was looking at live scores on the internet I would be cheering for her.

Yeah, I do that with Dally Randriantefy...never seen her play, but I've heard a lot of stories about how she was having money troubles awhile back and is starting to work her way up now...so I root for her to win almost any match(except against my faves;))

-Sonic-
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Nope never done that.... in fact i prob do the opposite, until i know some stuff about them i'd rather they lost and let people i know get some limelight lol

but i do like watching the new people, so i can then actually give a crap about how they do, and there are many that i want to see play so i can get an opinion of them

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Were you ever a fan of a player you had never seen play?

Certainly yes.

I became a huge Sharapova fan in October last year without seeing her play a single game on TV.

Luckily after meeting her in person in Hong Kong in January, now I like her both as a player and as a person.

Gowza
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:09 AM
by the definition of 'fan' being used in this thread i would say certainly, actually i follow a few juniors as they make their jump to the pro's and i never see them play, i can see the point about misuse of the word 'fan' my definition is wishing them luck etc and not necessarily having seen them play but obviously every1 has their own opinion of which they are allowed to have.

i would call myself a fan of krajicek and vaidisova and have never seen them play and i was a 'fan' of sharapova b4 i ever saw her play

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:22 AM
So what lol... Fan means you are passionnate... It's something strong. It's more than a simple interest of watching results or wishing good luck.

The word is being misused on this board.
Is staying up late or getting up early to stare at numbers on a scoreboard and then later express joy or dismay over the result, not being "passionate"?

You can develop some form of "connection" to a player through reading their interviews and learning about them. You might not have a good feel for their game, but I fail to see how you lack passion for a player if you haven't seen them.

It's just different

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I think definition of 'fan' is varied for different people.

I addition, fans also have different expectations from their favorite players.

irma
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:04 AM
what's passionate?
I am a Kim supporter. I root for her every match, but I don't buy magazines or do any all crazy stuf that I would do if I was passionate. So is that being a fan? for some it would be, but in comparing with my Steffi fanship I am a lausy Kim supporter;)

I don't even know what the Bild of Belgium is;)

Andy T
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:15 AM
I've been a devoted fan of Navratilova since 1978 and have never seen her play in real life. I got sooooooo close at Wimbledon 1987 but the girlfriend I was with had bad period pains and we had to leave.