PDA

View Full Version : Is Serena an "A" List celebrity yet?

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:59 PM
well, is she?

dekker
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:00 PM
hahahahahahaha NO

AjdeNate!
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Um.... no.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:07 PM
No.

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:08 PM
A-list tennis celebrity maybe

shap_half
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:15 PM
no she's definitely not

volley1
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:35 PM
No, but you are an alist ***hole for sure. :wavey:

bigshow21
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:36 PM
No, i dont think so.

PatM04
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Not yet. Agassi is probably the closet in the tennis world. Because of his former marriage to Brooke Shields and his charity event every year which is extremely popular with celebs. Now that I think about it Andy has Andre beat because of Mandy Moore.

ptkten
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I'm not a Serena fan, but I don't know, I think everyone in the United States knows the Williams Sisters, even non sports fans, and that's pretty hard to say even for most actors and actresses. I don't think Andre is even as well known. I would say Kournikova is about even with the Williams sisters, although sometimes non sports fans and girls forget her name.

Hendouble
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Probably a "B-" list celebrity, but not one tawdry enough to be packed off to the jungle for I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here, that's for sure.

SJW
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:59 PM
i'll go along with B List also...

Rocketta
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I say who cares...She's a millionaire and certainly more famous than you and really that's all that matters...:cool:

sartrista7
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Agassi and Roddick are nowhere near even B-list... people round here forget that tennis is really a pretty minor sport. This is why Anna K is as close to the A-list (though she is not there either) as a tennis player will get, because she's not famous for her tennis. The Williams sisters are ahead of Agassi and Roddick, behind Kournikova. Really, I think only Serena, Roddick and Anna K among tennis players actually care about their celeb status.

(Capriati gets extra points because of the Matthew Perry thing... but no, she's not B-list either.)

harloo
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Well if Serena is on the B list, then Justine must be on the D list? You think?

For sure, for someone who does not like Serena you are surely becoming her biggest fan.:tape: :lol:

sartrista7
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:37 PM
I love Justine, but I'd be the first to admit that she is simply not a celebrity. She is not on any lists. That's how she likes it, so it's OK.

Even B-list is pushing it for tennis players. Maybe Anna K is on the lower fringes of B-list... maaaaaybe, and on balance probably not. Tennis = sport which most of the population doesn't care about. Anna only gets as high as she does on the hot blonde factor.

(Name recognition factor does not = celebrity status, incidentally.)

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:55 PM
i'll go along with B List also...
I agree.

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:56 PM

For sure, for someone who does not like Serena you are surely becoming her biggest fan.:tape: :lol:
There's a difference. Serena is American and she's trying to be a big American celebrity. Justine isn't. Aside from the fact that she's a good tennis player, all she really is, is a Belgian wife.

Serena is trying to star in movies, she's trying to be a star, so it's ok if we ask what type of celeb she is.

Justine isn't trying to be a star. :rolleyes:

jenny161185
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:58 PM
serena along the lines of Madonna? not yet anyway!

vettipooh
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Serena's nearing the A list.She's all over the place-on sitcoms,talkshows,parties,awardshows, magazinespreads,you name it! She's quite popular in LA,I'm sure, and probably well sought after. I'm sure every celebrity in the US knows who she is, so that makes her A list material.Even the then president Clinton called her after she won the 1999 US open.I'd say that's A list.!!!

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Serena's nearing the A list.She's all over the place-on sitcoms,talkshows,parties,awardshows, magazinespreads,you name it! She's quite popular in LA,I'm sure, and probably well sought after. I'm sure every celebrity in the US knows who she is, so that makes her A list material.Even the then president Clinton called her after she won the 1999 US open.I'd say that's A list.!!!
That's because she's the first African-American woman to the US Open. I don't think it was because of her, per se. I mean if Venus had won that year, she would've got the call.

Anyway, we'll see, but in entertainment circles, there's still a huge element of "Serena who?" She needs to star in more TV shows, and especially movies, if she wants to move up.

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:40 AM
There's a difference. Serena is American and she's trying to be a big American celebrity. Justine isn't. Aside from the fact that she's a good tennis player, all she really is, is a Belgian wife.

Serena is trying to star in movies, she's trying to be a star, so it's ok if we ask what type of celeb she is.

Justine isn't trying to be a star. :rolleyes:Sorry if Justine is percieved as a prude to some, it's just that she has no umph at all imo. She is a good tennis player, but she has no personality.

As far as you saying that Serena is "TRYING" to be a star, well that's your opinion. IMO, the public has made her a star.

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Anyway, we'll see, but in entertainment circles, there's still a huge element of "Serena who?" She needs to star in more TV shows, and especially movies, if she wants to move up.In what circles? You have the inside scoop on something that we all need to know about? ROTF........:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Hulet
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:49 AM
You guys argue as if A-list celebrity status is something really reserved for the select few: look at the Hilton sisters, for crying out loud - I have no clue what in the world they achieved by themselves but sure enough they are in the A-list status. If Serena wants to climb to the A-list height, she should video tape herself with one of those basketball players she is watching in the All-star game in one of those hot private moments. But, I am not sure if she wants to do that.

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:51 AM
You guys argue as if A-list celebrity status is something really reserved for the select few: look at the Hilton sisters, for crying out loud - I have no clue what in the world they achieved by themselves but sure enough they are in the A-list status. If Serena wants to climb to the A-list height, she should video tape herself with one of those basketball players she is watching in the All-star game in one of those hot private moments. But, I am not sure if she wants to do that.
No. It's called "money". These days it can buy you fame and a-list status amongst other things. :rolleyes:

harloo, Serena wants to be a movie star, it's pretty obvious.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Yeh Serena wants to be a movie star but she has no chance if you ask anyone with a brain. She is nowhere near becoming a celebrity. There are millions of people trying to become actors and actresses, and only a few(very few) make it big, and they are all gorgeous and talented, and a lot more versatile than Serena. She will have a hard time getting any role that's not complete crap and that's not tennis related.

And NO she is not anywhere near the A list. IF there is anyone from sports that is considered a celebrity, that's Anna Kournikova and she doesn't even try too hard. She is injured all the time and is offered millions to show up everywhere:retard: Why Not?!

vettipooh
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Trust me Serena is gorgeous,talented, and versatile,enough to be in SI,win her Serena Slam,and persue other interest off court-she now has her own clothing line.If that's not versatile,then I want to know what is.Serena is more of a household name than Anna K.Most people say Anna who?

SerenaSlam
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:00 AM
what is the "A" list, b/c when you compare her to anyother Athlete, Andy, Andre, Steffi, i can think of a whole list of stuff Serena has done, that alot of these others have done. but i can really think of more and more things serena done no other has done. she has done more than anyone i know, i honestly think she has become the number 1 most knowned "tennis player" b/c when you even as the babies who "serena williams is" they know along with the elders.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Trust me Serena is gorgeous,talented, and versatile,enough to be in SI,win her Serena Slam,and persue other interest off court-she now has her own clothing line.If that's not versatile,then I want to know what is.Serena is more of a household name than Anna K.Most people say Anna who?

Are you alright? They say ANNA and that's enough! EveRYONE KNOWS KOURNIKOVA! They will say Serena who or Williams who!? Who's dating that moron Enrique Iglesias?! Enough said!

And Serena is not versatile in terms of being cast in different roles because she is huge and her shoulders are too big for her to play a normal person, or a person who's not an athlete. I think they offered her a role in some movie and guess who her character was?! A TENNIS PLAYER :silly:

Jarrett
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:04 AM
c-list imo

dreamgoddess099
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Yeah, Serena and Venus have much higher Q-ratings than Kourni. Of course Venus and Serena are A-list celebs, they're international superstars. Tons of A-list celebs know them and view them as important. Oprah, Micheal Jordan, Tiger woods, Denzel Washington, Condolezza Rice, and many many more. No need to lie about them not being A-list.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Yeah, Serena and Venus have much higher Q-ratings than Kourni. Of course Venus and Serena are A-list celebs, they're international superstars. Tons of A-list celebs know them and view them as important. Oprah, Micheal Jordan, Tiger woods, Denzel Washington, Condolezza Rice, and many many more. No need to lie about them not being A-list.

Are you serious? :eek:

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Are you alright? They say ANNA and that's enough! EveRYONE KNOWS KOURNIKOVA! They will say Serena who or Williams who!? Who's dating that moron Enrique Iglesias?! Enough said!

And Serena is not versatile in terms of being cast in different roles because she is huge and her shoulders are too big for her to play a normal person, or a person who's not an athlete. I think they offered her a role in some movie and guess who her character was?! A TENNIS PLAYER :silly:
Sorry but what has Anna did but lose matches, and show her tits. It's pretty sad, she just shows up and that's all people take her for is a dumb blond. I guess that's versatile. LOL

In that respect, I guess Serena is not an A-list celebrity. :lol:

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Sorry but what has Anna did but lose matches, and show her tits. It's pretty sad, she just shows up and that's all people take her for is a dumb blond. I guess that's versatile. LOL

I'm not sayng Kournikova is versatile. She's never going to be a movie star but at least she is aware she is not good enough. And she's not trying to become one. I was just talking about Kournikova because she is insanely more popular than Serena. And there's no way around it because it's TRUE no matter how many tennis matches she loses. No one gives a damn because she is not popular for her results the last few years anyway. Serena on the other hand... :tape:

And there's no need to insult Kournikova because of this. Dumb blondes are generally fake blondes, women who would give everything to be blonde and beautiful like the natural blondes. Serena was the true dumb blonde if you recall. And looked so good! :unsure: Yeh right

In what concerns showing tits, I don't remember any Anna's pics wearing see through black tops :tape:

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I'm not sayng Kournikova is versatile. She's never going to be a movie star but at least she is aware she is not good enough. And she's not trying to become one. I was just talking about Kournikova because she is insanely more popular than Serena. And there's no way around it because it's TRUE no matter how many tennis matches she loses. No one gives a damn because she is not popular for her results the last few years anyway. Serena on the other hand... :tape:

And there's no need to insult Kournikova because of this. Dumb blondes are generally fake blondes, women who would give everything to be blonde and beautiful like the natural blondes. Serena was the true dumb blonde if you recall. And looked so good! :unsure: Yeh right

In what concerns showing tits, I don't remember any Anna's pics wearing see through black tops :tape: Anna is the reason why women sports is disrespected. She wins nothing, and makes a sexual video talking about how atheletic she is. It's sad.

The sad part is that her parents allowed this to happen to her, and now since she's injured she will never be able to prove that she is not a dumb blond. Serena proved that she was worthy of celebrity by competing and winning slams. Anna has not proven that she belongs on sport pages, but she has proven that a AUTHENTIC blond with no skills can sell her body to 13 year old boys.
:lol:

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Anna is the reason why women sports is disrespected. She wins nothing, and makes a sexual video talking about how atheletic she is. It's sad.

The sad part is that her parents allowed this to happen to her, and now since she's injured she will never be able to prove that she is not a dumb blond. Serena proved that she was worthy of celebrity by competing and winning slams. Anna has not proven that she belongs on sport pages, but she has proven that a AUTHENTIC blond with no skills can sell her body to 13 year old boys.

What does being successful in sports have to do with your IQ? Come on that way Serena would be a genius, and that's not the case. For Serena, Championship = "Championchip" - the champion of all chips :unsure:

And let me tell you BEING POPULAR IS NOT ABOUT DESERVING! You're popular or you're NOT! Anna never pursued anything, labels and fame pursued HER! On the other hand, Serena is too busy to play tournaments, desperately trying to promote herself :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with belonging or being deserving :lol: Life is not fair :lol: Who cares if Serena has "proven that she belongs in sports pages", Kournikova hasn't and look where she is now! She is everywhere!

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:52 AM
What does being successful in sports have to do with your IQ? Come on that way Serena would be a genius, and that's not the case. For Serena, Championship = "Championchip" - the champion of all chips :unsure:

And let me tell you BEING POPULAR IS NOT ABOUT DESERVING! You're popular or you're NOT! Anna never pursued anything, labels and fame pursued HER! On the other hand, Serena is too busy to play tournaments, desperately trying to promote herself :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with belonging or being deserving :lol: Life is not fair :lol: Who cares if Serena has "proven that she belongs in sports pages", Kournikova hasn't and look where she is now! She is everywhere!
You can laugh all you want, but Anna has destroyed the perception of the female athelete. She took it back too stone ages. Like I said it's pretty sad to train all your life to win a title, and you can't even get one, but you are a top of the line celebrity because you are a dumb blond. I'm sorry, but their is no way you can justify it at all.:lol:

Dawn Marie
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Serena is popular than Anna K is at the moment.

In fact it seems that Anna's popularity is not like it use to be.

Look in here there are no Anna threads anymore, not worthy of even a bump.:)

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:05 AM
You can laugh all you want, but Anna has destroyed the perception of the female athelete. She took it back too stone ages. Like I said it's pretty sad to train all your life to win a title, and you can't even get one, but you are a top of the line celebrity because you are a dumb blond. I'm sorry, but their is no way you can justify it at all.:lol:

Serena however has been having these flashes that she is going to become a star, while she just stick to what she does best: hit the ball as hard as she can with great results! :D

But we're making progress, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE KOURNIKOVA IS AT THE VERY TOP OF BEING A CELEBRITY! :D

And what makes you think I need to justify what u just said. I never said she was successful in tennis or smart. I'm not here to make excuses for Kourniokva, I'm just stating facts. She sucks at tennis but is the most successful TENNIS PLAYER EVER! :lol: That's a fact and if that's being dumb, then Serena needs to use her stupidity better since she is so desperate for similar attention that Kournikova gets

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Is there anyone on this board with even an echo of a shadow of a qualification to determine what an 'A-list' celebrity is? If so, what are your qualifications?

And while we're at it, what the hell IS an "A-list celebrity, anyway? Is it just what parties you get invited to? What?

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Is there anyone on this board with even an echo of a shadow of a qualification to determine what an 'A-list' celebrity is? If so, what are your qualifications?

And while we're at it, what the hell IS an "A-list celebrity, anyway? Is it just what parties you get invited to? What?
Good grief, what qualifications do YOU need to determine an A-list celeb or not. :rolleyes: It's not rocket science.

And no, it's more than what parties you get invited to. A-list actors = people like Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger, Cate Blanchett. B-list actors = people like Peter Sarsgaard and John C. Reilly.

Basically, it's just about how well known you are and how accomplished you are in your fields. The sisters are A-list tennis stars, but as celebrities, they're B-list at best.

Steffi Graf is an A-list celebrities in Germany. She's the 1st lady of German sport.

Sorry, Serena's not there yet, not in sport and certainly not in entertainment.

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Good grief, what qualifications do YOU need to determine an A-list celeb or not. :rolleyes: It's not rocket science.

And no, it's more than what parties you get invited to. A-list actors = people like Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger, Cate Blanchett. B-list actors = people like Peter Sarsgaard and John C. Reilly.

Basically, it's just about how well known you are and how accomplished you are in your fields.
So, it's whoever your personal favorites are are 'A'-list?

Is Alan Greenspan an "A'-list celebrity? He's certainly well-known and accomplished in his field. George Soros? Rupert Murdoch? The Sultan of Brunei? In fact, by that definition Serena IS an A-list celebrity. She's VERY well known and VERY accomplished in her field.

Sorry, I don't see how this differs from conducting a popularity contest on the board. A celebrity, it has been famously said, is 'someone who is famous for being well known'. That tells us being a celebrity has nothing to do with character or accomplishment.

What's the 'A-list'? Is this an actual list? Who makes it? Or is this just a catch-all phrase for 'people who other people tell me are famous'? How about 'people who other people tell me to envy'?

Is this anything other than an excercise in people wrapping their preconcieved notions in a new covering?

Sam L
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Volcana, Serena wants to be a movie star. That's why she's b-list at best. If and when she has a few hit movies, she'll be an a-list celeb. Sure she's an a-list tennis star, i agree.

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Volcana, Serena wants to be a movie star. That's why she's b-list at best. If and when she has a few hit movies, she'll be an a-list celeb. Sure she's an a-list tennis star, i agree.Look, I'm trying to find a definition for what 'A-list' and 'B-list' objectively ARE? When I hear or read the term used in the media, it does NOT seem to break down by profession. Micchael Jackson didn't make movies, but he seemed to be considered 'A-list'. Ditto Elton John. Was not Princess Diana and A-list personality? What about Paris Hilton, who makes Anna K look like a monument to accomplishment?

All these people I've heard or read referred to as 'A-list'. NONE of them are actors. None of them make movies. The thread asked if Serena was an 'A-list celebrity'. So far, no ones saying what the hell that is. Youare trying, and I thank you for that. But youseem to be taking a very different definition than the title of the thread implies. All celebritites are not movie stars. Hell, sure she's a bit of a has-been, but wouldn't you have called Anna K 'A-list' a couple of years ago?

I'm not a girl who spends her time with her nose in the society pages, but surely 'A-list' and 'movie star' are two different things.

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:33 AM
You can laugh all you want, but Anna has destroyed the perception of the female athelete. She took it back too stone ages.
Are you insane? Seriously. Or are you just so anti-Anna it completely blins you reality? Stop and think, just for a moment, about how many people never even WATCHED women's athletics before Anna Kournikova? If even one in ten of the people who tuned in to see Anna Kournikova discovered how cool women's athletics was, then she did WAY more good than harm. And if youchecked out tournaments in 200- and 2001, she hads hoards of little girls seeking her autograph. They weren't lining up to leer. They admired Anna the Famous, Beautiful Athlete. And if one in ten of those little girls takes up tennis, again Anna did way more good than harm.

'took it back to stone ages'. Exactly how popular do you think women's sports ARE in the world? Pre-Anna K, we weren't exactly in some utopian paradise where women in athletics were admired and lauded for their ability.

irma
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:48 AM
it's sad that being a celebrity has become more important then results :o
I mean that they don't put a player on a tenniscover because she is not "pretty" enough despite that she won 3 slams (maybe they put her on now though. I don't read tennisweek)

Alan
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I think among tennis players... Agassi (maybe Graf), Becker and Seles?

SJW
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM
i don't know if their your fave actors or not, but apart from Nicole and and maybe Russell, i wouldn't call them A List :retard:

A List = ppl like JLo, Britney, Christina etc etc etc

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
i don't know if their your fave actors or not, but apart from Nicole and and maybe Russell, i wouldn't call them A List :retard:

A List = ppl like JLo, Britney, Christina etc etc etc
You see, this is why I view the whole thing as an exercsie in subjectivity. Why Jennfer Lopez instead of Renee Zellweger? Why Cristina Aguilera instead of Cate Blanchett?

The only criteira seems to be, 'who does I feel like saying is 'A-list' today? The whole concept has no meaning outside of gossip columns.

dreamgoddess099
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
A-list celebs are people who are very famous. Whether for sports , music, movies, or whatever reason. It's hard to describe because certain celebs are huge in certain parts of the world, like David Beckham, but not so well admired in the US. It's funny to hear people from non-US countries judge Serena's celebrity status. Serena may not be as popular in your country, but then there are people who you may consider to be A-list in your country, like Cate Blanchett or who ever, that we in the US don't give a hill of beans about. Bottom line is, Serena is an A-list celeb here in the US and that's huge because this is the biggest market on earth. If you can make big here there is no need to be big anywhere else. When Oprah tells the Williamses that she's been trying for years to get them on her show and that they make her so proud to be a woman, or Micheal Jordan affectionately refers to you as "My girl", or you have a Q-rating (marketing scores used to measure your appeal and recognition by the general public) of above 70, rest assure you are a superstar. All superstars are A+-list celebs and Serena (being a superstar) surely qualifies.

Ballbuster
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:05 PM
YES she is!

As long as she continues to win Slams.

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Hmmm.. Q-rating. Now that might actually be an objective measure of who's 'A'-list. At least it's somewhat objective.

sartrista7
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:28 PM
The only criteira seems to be, 'who does I feel like saying is 'A-list' today? The whole concept has no meaning outside of gossip columns.

What, you mean that celebrity matters outside of gossip columns?! :eek:

You're right, of course. It doesn't. Alan Greenspan and George Soros are not celebrities. Neither is Justine Henin-Hardenne. To be a celebrity you have to... want it on some level. Serena does... and her status is being way overrated here.

Put it this way: the top celebrities are known for much, much more than just what they do. Madonna is a singer, but she is also married to a British film director, has two children, snogged Britney at the MTV Awards, wants to be English. J-Lo is more famous for the Bennifer monster than for either her songs or films. Serena... is good at tennis. Apart from her back story - and everyone's got one of those - no one cares about her beyond that. More people are interested in Anna and Enrique than in any of Serena's dalliances... and no one's really interested in Anna that much.

MarcusRock
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM
LOL. This probably one of the more funny unfoldings of a thread asking a pointless "yes" or "no" question.

Volcana
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:00 PM
To be a celebrity you have to... want it on some level.
Disagree. Meryl Streep practically runs away and hides. Barry Bonds treats the media like a pack of back-stabbing weasels. Both are well-known all over the world, despite clearly NOT wanting the attention to their lives as opposed to their work that makes up being a celebrity. The one constant I see in 'celebrity-hood' is that people want to know about you. Whether you like it or not.

Fingon
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM

For sure, for someone who does not like Serena you are surely becoming her biggest fan.:tape: :lol:For sure, for someone who does not like SerenaJustine you are surely becoming her biggest fan.:tape: :lol:

Ballbuster
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:18 PM
For sure, for someone who does not like SerenaJustine you are surely becoming her biggest fan.:tape: :lol:

Nobody like her.

sartrista7
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Disagree. Meryl Streep practically runs away and hides. Barry Bonds treats the media like a pack of back-stabbing weasels. Both are well-known all over the world, despite clearly NOT wanting the attention to their lives as opposed to their work that makes up being a celebrity. The one constant I see in 'celebrity-hood' is that people want to know about you. Whether you like it or not.

I haven't heard of Barry Bonds, and I don't think Meryl Streep's always been as anti-publicity as she is now (additionally, the "I want to be left alone" tactic is a superb one of adding to your celebrity status: it increases interest but preserves mystique, and gives you more control - also, it makes people think that you're above such petty notions as 'celebrity'). I think most celebs KNOW that the media are back-stabbing weasels... but the relationship needs to be maintained.

I don't buy the argument that there are celebrities who don't want it... if you don't want to be famous, then you don't have to go to film premieres, award ceremonies, hot parties. You don't have to go on MTV every week, you don't have to publicise yourself. If your devotion is to your craft... you can go and be the best Broadway actor ever, or spend your life writing songs in your bedroom, and no one will recognise you on the street. You'll still be able to make a decent living. Indeed... arguably, this is what Justine Henin-Hardenne is doing.

Fingon
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Nobody like her.
I do

Pureracket
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Well, Serena J. Williams certainly is "A-List" on this board. The starter of this thread simply hates her, but like the other vultures here, can't seem to stay away from her. Sick, psychotic obsession by people who don't like you has to account for some kinda criteria for making this mythological "A-List", right?

Hulet
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ballbuster
Nobody like her.
I do
Hence, you are a nobody, Fingon.

Sorry, can't help myself there. :angel:

wongqks
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:53 PM
A list celebrities are people like Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz, Madonna, even people like Jennifer Ainston cannot really be considered an A List celebrities, so I don't thinK Serena is quite there yet ;)

But ditto what someone say, who cares ;)

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Okay. People who take her for a dumb blond are usually dumb people.Those who are testosterone-driven and self-righteous bitches who have no previous knowledge about Anna's tennis results and tennis in general. I sincerely hope you're not one of those. You're talking like a less-than-casual tennis fan if you think that all that Anna did was lose matches. :)

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM

In what concerns showing tits, I don't remember any Anna's pics wearing see through black tops :tape::worship: :tape:

I always remind myself that if they start bashing Anna fashion-wise, I can always link that infamous Serena pic anytime anywhere. :lol:

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Anna is the reason why women sports is disrespected. She wins nothing, and makes a sexual video talking about how atheletic she is. It's sad.

Anna is the reason why women sports is disrespected. Do you honestly believe that or you just wanna make Serena look good in your argument.That's just disgusting.

Anna opened the door to young girls nowadays especially her compatriots. Safina said that herself. She raised tennis' popularity at its highest. She drew crowds that Seles and Graf couldn't. If King, Chris Evert, Navratilova, Seles, Hingis think she's good for tennis, who the f**k are you?

Stefwhit
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Forbes Magazine has listings for everything and since they specialize in lists I thought they maybe the could help in putting in to perspective Serena's celebrity status. They calculate "celebrity status" by factoring in pay rank, web rank (how many hits), press rank, and TV rank to come up with their list. Below is their list for 2003. Serena, Hingis, Anna, and Venus made it to the list- in years past Monica, Steffi, and JCap have made it on as well.

Source: http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Power+list+top+100+celebrities&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3Brequest Id%3Dfddc8b580fa0a945%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D2% 26amp%3BuserQuery%3DPower%2Blist%2Btop%2B100%2Bcel ebrities%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%2 52Fwww.forbes.com%252Fstatic_html%252Fcelebs%252F2 002.html%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DAppleTop&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fstatic_ht ml%2Fcelebs%2F2002.html

To become a celebrity is to become a brand name," Philip Roth said more than 20 years ago. He was right, of course, but the novelist wasn't thinking big enough. Exploited correctly, celebrity can be converted into something more durable than a mere brand. That is indelibly evident in this year's annual ranking of fame and clout, the Celebrity 100.

Money is still the most important metric of celebrity, and we calculate which entertainers and athletes have earned the most in the past year; in the interest of diversity, we've selected top earners from different professions. But the measure of celebrity entails much more--media mentions and Web buzz and other touchstones of fleeting fame. Thus our Power 100 list combines earnings with media exposure to calculate the relative status of a vast array of stars.

(Power Rank) (Name) (Pay Rank) (Web Rank) (Press Rank) (TV Rank)
1 Jennifer Aniston 23 20 40 26
2 Eminem and Dr. Dre 23 1 7 4
3 Tiger Woods 5 8 1 3
4 Steven Spielberg 1 13 15 10
5 Jennifer Lopez 44 2 11 11
6 Paul McCartney 9 18 16 12
7 Ben Affleck 22 23 25 25
8 Oprah Winfrey 3 41 39 5
9 Tom Hanks 10 21 24 9
10 Rolling Stones 7 26 6 21
11 Will Smith 8 10 41 32
12 Osbourne family 45 24 19 19
13 Michael Jordan 23 6 5 6
14 Mike Myers 17 17 47 34
15 J.K. Rowling 4 29 49 45
16 Nicole Kidman 49 7 13 20
17 George Lucas 2 12 56 66
18 Eddie Murphy 13 14 45 35
19 Michael Schumacher 6 30 23 92
20 Jim Carrey 15 35 53 42
21 Julia Roberts 38 4 30 27
22 Shaquille O'Neal 37 41 8 23
23 Tom Clancy 19 11 55 41
24 David Letterman 32 33 29 14
25 Matthew Perry 23 62 71 43
26 Bruce Springsteen 46 28 21 13
27 Peter Jackson 20 27 44 61
28 Cher 31 32 32 33
29 Halle Berry 70 5 27 24
30 Dixie Chicks 55 9 28 16
31 Lisa Kudrow 23 56 73 68
32 Dave Matthews Band 20 34 62 82
33 Samuel L. Jackson 38 15 48 50
34 Kelsey Grammer 16 63 70 49
35 Celine Dion 46 19 37 30
36 Rush Limbaugh 33 43 63 22
37 Robbie Williams 38 16 31 73
38 Siegfried & Roy 12 53 96 69
39 Barry Bonds 58 40 4 15
40 Howard Stern 36 22 67 46
41 Courteney Cox 33 59 97 79
42 Mary Higgins Clark 14 67 87 75
43 David Copperfield 10 91 75 82
44 Jay Leno 58 36 34 8
45 Ray Romano 30 87 69 39
46 Andre Agassi 53 52 10 38
47 Jerry Bruckheimer 23 79 72 64
48 Brian Grazer/Ron Howard 23 99 64 53
49 Bill Clinton 81 3 2 1
50 Nora Roberts 18 56 88 94
51 Kevin Garnett 46 66 33 50
52 Alex Rodriguez 50 61 14 57
53 Allen Iverson 63 39 17 31
54 Michael Crichton 35 51 74 65
55 AC/DC 38 31 76 75
56 David Beckham 63 37 3 55
57 Derek Jeter 56 49 22 55
58 Reese Witherspoon 69 45 50 44
59 Jeff Gordon 65 38 26 50
60 Serena Williams 76 46 9 29
61 Renee Zellweger 76 47 35 28
62 Paul Harvey 38 68 89 71
63 Oscar De La Hoya 38 82 60 88
64 Arnold Palmer 65 44 38 57
65 Venus Williams 71 64 20 40
66 Grant Hill 51 69 52 85
67 Rudy Giuliani 80 97 18 2
68 John Madden 72 55 42 54
69 Jacques Villeneuve 54 48 59 98
70 Anna Kournikova 81 25 36 48
71 Katie Couric 72 81 65 18
72 Regis Philbin 58 83 80 60
73 Karl Malone 65 74 43 71
74 Annika Sorenstam 91 71 12 17
75 Judge Judy Sheindlin 52 92 84 66
76 Jack Welch 86 60 51 7
77 Scottie Pippen 61 84 54 75
78 Nia Vardalos 76 85 57 59
79 Alonzo Mourning 56 87 68 90
80 Juwan Howard 61 93 66 90
81 Wolfgang Puck 75 72 81 61
82 Heidi Klum 83 65 86 70
83 The Olsen Twins 68 90 99 79
84 Simon Cowell 95 94 58 46
85 Emeril Lagasse 86 73 82 37
86 Martina Hingis 90 58 46 75
87 Anna Nicole Smith 99 50 61 36
88 Christy Turlington 85 70 93 73
89 Gisele Bundchen 74 80 91 93
90 Patricia Heaton 79 95 92 61
91 Milla Jovovich 84 53 95 98
92 Frankie Muniz 89 75 77 84
93 Evan Marriott 100 100 78 79
94 Johnny Knoxville 98 78 79 88
95 Melissa Joan Hart 94 76 90 97
96 Hilary Duff 96 86 85 85
97 Amanda Bynes 96 77 83 94
98 David Blaine 93 89 94 85
99 Carolyn Murphy 88 96 100 94
100 Alain Ducasse 91 98 98 98

MarcusRock
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Forbes Magazine has listings for everything and since they specialize in lists I thought they maybe the could help in putting in to perspective Serena's celebrity status. They calculate "celebrity status" by factoring in pay rank, web rank (how many hits), press rank, and TV rank to come up with their list. Below is their list for 2003. Serena, Hingis, Anna, and Venus made it to the list- in years past Monica, Steffi, and JCap have made it on as well.

Source: http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Power+list+top+100+celebrities&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3Brequest Id%3Dfddc8b580fa0a945%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D2% 26amp%3BuserQuery%3DPower%2Blist%2Btop%2B100%2Bcel ebrities%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%2 52Fwww.forbes.com%252Fstatic_html%252Fcelebs%252F2 002.html%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DAppleTop&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fstatic_ht ml%2Fcelebs%2F2002.html

To become a celebrity is to become a brand name," Philip Roth said more than 20 years ago. He was right, of course, but the novelist wasn't thinking big enough. Exploited correctly, celebrity can be converted into something more durable than a mere brand. That is indelibly evident in this year's annual ranking of fame and clout, the Celebrity 100.

Money is still the most important metric of celebrity, and we calculate which entertainers and athletes have earned the most in the past year; in the interest of diversity, we've selected top earners from different professions. But the measure of celebrity entails much more--media mentions and Web buzz and other touchstones of fleeting fame. Thus our Power 100 list combines earnings with media exposure to calculate the relative status of a vast array of stars.

(Power Rank) (Name) (Pay Rank) (Web Rank) (Press Rank) (TV Rank)
1 Jennifer Aniston 23 20 40 26
2 Eminem and Dr. Dre 23 1 7 4
3 Tiger Woods 5 8 1 3
4 Steven Spielberg 1 13 15 10
5 Jennifer Lopez 44 2 11 11
6 Paul McCartney 9 18 16 12
7 Ben Affleck 22 23 25 25
8 Oprah Winfrey 3 41 39 5
9 Tom Hanks 10 21 24 9
10 Rolling Stones 7 26 6 21
11 Will Smith 8 10 41 32
12 Osbourne family 45 24 19 19
13 Michael Jordan 23 6 5 6
14 Mike Myers 17 17 47 34
15 J.K. Rowling 4 29 49 45
16 Nicole Kidman 49 7 13 20
17 George Lucas 2 12 56 66
18 Eddie Murphy 13 14 45 35
19 Michael Schumacher 6 30 23 92
20 Jim Carrey 15 35 53 42
21 Julia Roberts 38 4 30 27
22 Shaquille O'Neal 37 41 8 23
23 Tom Clancy 19 11 55 41
24 David Letterman 32 33 29 14
25 Matthew Perry 23 62 71 43
26 Bruce Springsteen 46 28 21 13
27 Peter Jackson 20 27 44 61
28 Cher 31 32 32 33
29 Halle Berry 70 5 27 24
30 Dixie Chicks 55 9 28 16
31 Lisa Kudrow 23 56 73 68
32 Dave Matthews Band 20 34 62 82
33 Samuel L. Jackson 38 15 48 50
34 Kelsey Grammer 16 63 70 49
35 Celine Dion 46 19 37 30
36 Rush Limbaugh 33 43 63 22
37 Robbie Williams 38 16 31 73
38 Siegfried & Roy 12 53 96 69
39 Barry Bonds 58 40 4 15
40 Howard Stern 36 22 67 46
41 Courteney Cox 33 59 97 79
42 Mary Higgins Clark 14 67 87 75
43 David Copperfield 10 91 75 82
44 Jay Leno 58 36 34 8
45 Ray Romano 30 87 69 39
46 Andre Agassi 53 52 10 38
47 Jerry Bruckheimer 23 79 72 64
48 Brian Grazer/Ron Howard 23 99 64 53
49 Bill Clinton 81 3 2 1
50 Nora Roberts 18 56 88 94
51 Kevin Garnett 46 66 33 50
52 Alex Rodriguez 50 61 14 57
53 Allen Iverson 63 39 17 31
54 Michael Crichton 35 51 74 65
55 AC/DC 38 31 76 75
56 David Beckham 63 37 3 55
57 Derek Jeter 56 49 22 55
58 Reese Witherspoon 69 45 50 44
59 Jeff Gordon 65 38 26 50
60 Serena Williams 76 46 9 29
61 Renee Zellweger 76 47 35 28
62 Paul Harvey 38 68 89 71
63 Oscar De La Hoya 38 82 60 88
64 Arnold Palmer 65 44 38 57
65 Venus Williams 71 64 20 40
66 Grant Hill 51 69 52 85
67 Rudy Giuliani 80 97 18 2
68 John Madden 72 55 42 54
69 Jacques Villeneuve 54 48 59 98
70 Anna Kournikova 81 25 36 48
71 Katie Couric 72 81 65 18
72 Regis Philbin 58 83 80 60
73 Karl Malone 65 74 43 71
74 Annika Sorenstam 91 71 12 17
75 Judge Judy Sheindlin 52 92 84 66
76 Jack Welch 86 60 51 7
77 Scottie Pippen 61 84 54 75
78 Nia Vardalos 76 85 57 59
79 Alonzo Mourning 56 87 68 90
80 Juwan Howard 61 93 66 90
81 Wolfgang Puck 75 72 81 61
82 Heidi Klum 83 65 86 70
83 The Olsen Twins 68 90 99 79
84 Simon Cowell 95 94 58 46
85 Emeril Lagasse 86 73 82 37
86 Martina Hingis 90 58 46 75
87 Anna Nicole Smith 99 50 61 36
88 Christy Turlington 85 70 93 73
89 Gisele Bundchen 74 80 91 93
90 Patricia Heaton 79 95 92 61
91 Milla Jovovich 84 53 95 98
92 Frankie Muniz 89 75 77 84
93 Evan Marriott 100 100 78 79
94 Johnny Knoxville 98 78 79 88
95 Melissa Joan Hart 94 76 90 97
96 Hilary Duff 96 86 85 85
97 Amanda Bynes 96 77 83 94
98 David Blaine 93 89 94 85
99 Carolyn Murphy 88 96 100 94
100 Alain Ducasse 91 98 98 98The highest ranking Williams on this list is Robbie.... http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/marcusrock/Vomit.gif

Stefwhit
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Jennifer Aniston number 1?
That's the same response people had toward the end of Hingis' career when she was still ranked number one, same goes for Clijsters. Forbes explained how they came up with their calculation considering various factors. It's not exactly scientific by any means, but it's a lot better than "us" saying who is and who isn't an A List celebrity.... Us tennis fans should know that rankings don't always tell the real story. ;)

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I was surprised to find Martina's name on that list.

Also, it must be skewed toward Americans, because I don't see how David Beckham could be so far down otherwise.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM
LOL at that list

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Are you insane? Seriously. Or are you just so anti-Anna it completely blins you reality? Stop and think, just for a moment, about how many people never even WATCHED women's athletics before Anna Kournikova? If even one in ten of the people who tuned in to see Anna Kournikova discovered how cool women's athletics was, then she did WAY more good than harm. And if youchecked out tournaments in 200- and 2001, she hads hoards of little girls seeking her autograph. They weren't lining up to leer. They admired Anna the Famous, Beautiful Athlete. And if one in ten of those little girls takes up tennis, again Anna did way more good than harm.

'took it back to stone ages'. Exactly how popular do you think women's sports ARE in the world? Pre-Anna K, we weren't exactly in some utopian paradise where women in athletics were admired and lauded for their ability.
Sorry, Volcana but that's how I feel about Anna Kournikova. She has never won a title, and is a celebrity. It's quite sad, and nope I'm not insane. I just don't agree with you, and that's not wrong now is it? Or do you feel as your opinion is more valid that everyone elses?

I don't hate Anna at all, but the truth about it is that when her name comes up around anyone besides her fans she is not discussed in a respectful manner. The only thing she has to offer is her looks and her body, and that denigrates women sports regardless of how any one tries to justify it.

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
For sure, for someone who does not like SerenaJustine you are surely becoming her biggest fan.:tape: :lol:
How original Fingon. But really dude, seek professional help because your obsession with me disliking Justine's ethics is reaching a new level.

Oh, and you can negative rep me for giving my opinion again also.:lol:

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Okay. People who take her for a dumb blond are usually dumb people.Those who are testosterone-driven and self-righteous bitches who have no previous knowledge about Anna's tennis results and tennis in general. I sincerely hope you're not one of those. You're talking like a less-than-casual tennis fan if you think that all that Anna did was lose matches. :)
Anna has failed to win a singles title. She is quite the doubles slam winner though.

harloo
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:00 PM
You have it all wrong. She won many titles... There's nothing sad about her considering most wta players would love to accomplish what she did in her short career.

If she's not discussed in a respectful manner, it's because people are sexist and/or ignorant. She only has her look to offer for now, because she's injured. We could say the same about every injured player.
Oops Hairspray Queen, I meant singles title. Sorry about that. I think I'm going to leave this thread now, folks are so upset about reality. Anna has won alot of doubles titles, but never lived up to the hype.

You are respected in the game of tennis based on your achievement mainly as a singles player.

Peace:wavey:

CJ07
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:38 PM
In No Way is Serena A list

thats a very short list

she is a B- list, while Venus is a C list (and likes it that way)
Kournikova is also a B- list.

No tennis player, unless they put out an album or do a major movie or something will ever be A list. And even then their tennis career will just be on the sidebar.

As for Andre and Andy? Pff, C list at best.

apoet29
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I think it is a very big leap to say that Kournikova has debased women's athletics, and that she alone is solely responsible for the sexualization of female athletes. That happened before Anna, and she just took it to the next level, in part, thanks to the internet. However, female athletes continue to be sexually glorified in the name of their sport, and I believe that would have happened with or without Anna's presence.

Was Anna overhyped? Yes, but she is not the first athlete to be overhyped and not be able to live up to it, and she will certainly not be the last. She has had a decent career although she could have accomplished much more. Yes, she was injured, but that can only be an excuse for so long. Anna had many opportunities to break that titleless curse and do not take the chances when they were presented to her. Hopefully, that will change if she tries to make a strong comeback.

It is a rare athlete that manages to crossover into mainstream popularity with Michael Jordan probably being the best example of this. I believe that Anna, Serena, Venus and Martina's rankings were so high on that Forbes list because these are the only female athletes that are known on a first name basis.

Besides, does it really matter who is A-list? When did that become a basis for judging someone's athletic accomplishments?

Siyasema
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Well, Serena J. Williams certainly is "A-List" on this board. The starter of this thread simply hates her, but like the other vultures here, can't seem to stay away from her. Sick, psychotic obsession by people who don't like you has to account for some kinda criteria for making this mythological "A-List", right?Of this I agree. Whatever level of celebrity Serena is, she definitely is A-List at this board. Obviously when she plays and even when she doesn't. Her contract status intrigues, fitness, schedule and even what she wears. She's on people's minds here, and even at other events, whether they are musical or sport - Nascar for example has asked for her services, and even at the most recent basketball allstar game her tennis status was interesting enough that she was interviewed on court.

Serena's a major celebrity in her own right crossing boundaries further than just tennis.