PDA

View Full Version : Can Davenport Win The French Open (this year)?

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:46 PM
well, can she?

Bezz
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:52 PM
No

Maajken
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:54 PM
she could, but im not even sure she'll play

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:54 PM
why not?

gmak
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:58 PM
imagine having won the 3 other slams, the Olympics, Fed cup and Year-end championships, that would have been the icing on the cake!

don't see it happen though... her best chances were 1998 and 1999 i think!

LindsayRocks89
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:03 PM
it would be hard for her to beat all the top players for two weeks on clay but i could see her getting to the semis and im sure shell play, why wouldnt she :confused:

Glenn
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Hmm, I don't think so.
But she has a shot.

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Lindsay and clay?! Donīt exactly rime imo....too slow, too many counter-punchers who can frustrate her to death, not mobile enough.

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Of course she can...but will she, and who will stop her?

flyingmachine
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Don't like so.

LindsayRulez
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:14 PM
I don't think she'll win; but she had a really great clay season last year, so we'll see...

saki
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I really doubt it. I think her best shot at a major is the Australian Open - IMO, if she hadn't had to play Justine in the QF, she'd have done extremely well.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I don't think she'll win; but she had a really great clay season last year, so we'll see...

totally agree with you

AjdeNate!
It could happen... but she's certainly not in the Top 3-7 faves to win it.

Joana
Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena have far greater chances to win than Lindsay. I just can't see her beat them on clay. :sad:
1998 was her best chance.

Andrew.
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I find it very strange that she is skipping Miami. I think she is going to really try to prepare for the clay season and give it her best. She did very well last year, and could have done even better if not for the crap foot.

LUIS9
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I dont think so? Why? Well simply because she has never won a clay tournament on red clay! If she couldnt do it at her peak why would she do it now during her decline? Yes she's played some great tennis this season so far, but she didnt have to beat many top players for so? Once she met a top player she faultered, eventhough she had her for more than half a set, she lead 4-0 and squandered and melted! Besides her groundies dont penetrate as much or nearly as much on clay, once those are gone Davenports game is no better than say a top 50 player. To add to this her serve isnt as potent on clay, so take away her groundies and abilities to hit out right winners and loses her edge on the serve, many players can and will take advantage of it, hence why Davenport is at a disadvantage on clay. One more thing her lack of good mobility is more than exposed and this is where she's completely at a loss, poor mobility means struggle on clay! Therefore as someone pointed out she isnt in the top 6 or 7 to win this tournie, players like Petrova and Zvonareva can even have greater chances of beating Lindsay and even Suarez has an edge over her on clay! Now this isnt to say she doesnt have a chance, shes still a top player and will have a billion times more chance of winning it than lets say Bedanova or some other top 80 player!

Maajken
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
lindsay has at least won madrid and strasbourg more than once (maybe not big names but still on red clay) and she beat jenn on clay last year, let's not forget that.

vettipooh
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Lindsay doesn't stand much of a chance if Justine,Kim,or a healthy Serena and Mauresmo are playing.I think Amelie is hungry for her first slam,and wants to avenge her disappointing loss to Serena at FO 03. She just might do it this year.

Sam L
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:54 PM
She can't win a slam let alone, THE French Open, the one she's never won. :shrug:

Lindsay needs to show us and her opponents something different if she's to win a big one again.

fammmmedspin
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:01 AM
:eek: More chance of finding Bin Laden, 1000 tons of Iraqi chemical weapons, Beagle 2 and Elvis.

If she could play like the first 4 AO games against Justine for 8 more games Wimbledon might be another matter.:)

LindsayRocks89
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Lindsay has won Madrid ;)

moo_ont
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Lindsay is a great player. She always has a good shot to win. But clay isn't her favorite surface. It therefore depends on her draw. Personally, I want her to win more majors. Don't want her to quit just yet.

magassi
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:44 AM
No...

MisterQ
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:54 AM
I really doubt it.

But stranger things have happened!

I would love to see it!

Whatever happens, I hope Lindsay has a very successful year.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:02 AM
She is not the top favorite but SHE CAN WIN!!!!!!!!
SHE IS A CHAMPION for a lot of reasons.

alextreiber04
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:16 AM
:haha: No. :haha:

LindsayRocks89
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:03 AM
She is not the top favorite but SHE CAN WIN!!!!!!!!
SHE IS A CHAMPION for a lot of reasons.

well said, she will always be a champion in my eyes :bounce:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:09 AM
no. its like asking if sampras can win it.

Doraemon
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:11 AM
If Iva could do it, there's no reason why Lindsay can't do it, is there?

tennisIlove09
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Here's what I'm saying:

She's at her best on hard courts. Clijsters (who is MUCH BETTER on Clay); dominated her on hard courts last year.

If Lindsay can't close out a 4-0; 5-3 lead against JHH on rebounce ace, she won't on clay (JHH's best surface).

So, no...I don't see Lindsay winning.

kerbear
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:47 AM
no i definately don't see Lindsay winning. She'll do all right as usual but clay's not her court. No chance.

vogus
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:22 AM
anybody who gave a serious response to this thread is either

a) not very knowledgeable about tennis
b) bored and smoking a lot of dope
c) under the age of 14

I'd be surprised if Linzi ever reaches the French Open fourth round again in her career.

tennnisfannn
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:34 AM

c) under the age of 14

I'd be surprised if Linzi ever reaches the French Open fourth round again in her career.Not so hasty there my friend, clay has produced many unlikely players in the past serena included.
Who would have thought Justine could win USO. Sometimes circumstances align themselves just right. An early upset, injury, illness and Lindsay could be in the finals. This same girl beat Capriati on clay who is a very solid player.

vogus
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Linzi beat Capriati on GREEN clay. Very different surface, not as difficult for her to move on.

Justinefan
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:41 AM
I think if she gets the right draw she has a great chance, if somehow a belgian can uliminate the a williams sister in her half, and she can make the final to play a belgian, i think she can beat them... although Justine's best surface is clay.. i guess we'll ahve to see.. I hope so though!

bubble
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:00 AM
No, you must be joking?
As good a ball hitter she is, she is just not mobile enough on clay and Roland Garros is her weakest Grand slam rite?

bigshow21
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Of course not! Jennifer Capriati is!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :p :cool: :)

Doraemon
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM

c) under the age of 14

I'd be surprised if Linzi ever reaches the French Open fourth round again in her career.

And you think you're better than us?
Get your brain checked before it's too late.

TNT96
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:23 AM
[QUOTE=fammmmedspin]:eek: More chance of finding Bin Laden, 1000 tons of Iraqi chemical weapons, Beagle 2 and Elvis.

If she could play like the first 4 AO games against Justine for 8 more games Wimbledon might be another matter.:)[/QU

What does Beagle 2 mean? You lost me

JustineTime
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Not.
A.
Chance.

propi
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I don't think she can.... about she winning in Madrid, I was really surprised but Madrid draw isn't the hardest you can find on clay.... specially when finishing the saturday before RG...

lleykifanatic
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:28 AM
No!

bis2806
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:09 PM
i think she could if she played with the strategies she does have on hardcourts really...

LindsayRulez
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I think she'll do better than most people think - I don't buy the whole "her groundstrokes aren't as lethal on clay because everything is slowed down blah blah" - she was still smacking winners against Conchita last year in the few games that she could play. Hell, she hit almost 40 winners against Patty Schnyder in a 6-1, 6-1 victory on green clay.

Plus, grass used to be her least favorite surface and then she surprised herself by winning Wimbledon over Steffi Graf, so stranger things have happened.

Rub
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
nope... kim will win roland garros! :bounce:

SerialKiller#69
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Unless Kournikova shows up.;)

:cat: meow meow!

GoDominique
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM
No. And the problem is not the clay, it's Lindsay herself.

PatM04
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I don't know if she can but last year she was playing very well except for the foot.

emptyhead
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:11 PM
lol Ah my sides are aching, stop, please stop lol Lindsay win RG ? she's as much chance as winning the French as Monica Seles has of winning Wimbledon. ZILCH!!

bw2082
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:45 PM
If she believed in herself and cared enough, Lindsay can win anywhere.

spencercarlos
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I think she'll do better than most people think - I don't buy the whole "her groundstrokes aren't as lethal on clay because everything is slowed down blah blah" - she was still smacking winners against Conchita last year in the few games that she could play. Hell, she hit almost 40 winners against Patty Schnyder in a 6-1, 6-1 victory on green clay.

Plus, grass used to be her least favorite surface and then she surprised herself by winning Wimbledon over Steffi Graf, so stranger things have happened.
Davenport can win the french is the following players are no playing her:

Justine Henin
Kim Cjijsters
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Amelie Mauresmo

I doubt she can win a slam lately without beating any of this players, and on clay it makes her odds even worse. There you see at the Australian Open, the longer the point went against Henin, the worst her chances were, Lindsay to beat this players has to hit winners from the start, otherwise she will be moved around the court and eventually beaten. On clay winners are returned to play, she`ll need to hit more winner shots in the same point to take the point, is Davenport still fit enough to make the deal?... I doubt she can win Roland Garros now, she had better chances before, but not now.

Best chances of a slam are at Wimbledon. Still a long shot for a player who has not been in a slam final since Usopen 2000 (yes she has missed tons of slams since), but i think she has the talent to win but not the footspeed to compete against today`s athletes.

spencercarlos
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:18 PM

To your comment on Lindsay.....
Grass suits Davenport`s game better than any other surface, her lethal serve and hard and flat groundstrokes can do more damage on grass than any current surface played for the grand slams.

There is no way Clay, her worst surface could suit Davenport now as you say in a strange thing to happen for her. Davenport`s problem is movement, if she can find a way to be quicker around the court she could be winning the slams right now. Can she?

fammmmedspin
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=fammmmedspin]:eek: More chance of finding Bin Laden, 1000 tons of Iraqi chemical weapons, Beagle 2 and Elvis.

If she could play like the first 4 AO games against Justine for 8 more games Wimbledon might be another matter.:)[/QU

What does Beagle 2 mean? You lost me
beagle 2 was the third rover heading for Mars - the two US NASA Rovers landed but Beagle - the British/european one hasn't been seen since it phoned home to say "I am about to land" - bits havn't even shown up on any photograph despite people looking for it.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:28 PM
You wouldnt think so....she needs to be quick around the court to be able to do it. I hope she does well, it would be great to see her win but somehow i cant see it happening. think wimbeldon is more of an option.