PDA

View Full Version : Are the big tournaments too spread out?

JennyS
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
In tennis, the big tournaments are spread out from January through November (early December for the Davis Cup finalists). Do you think these tournaments should be less spread out, with smaller events played during the rest of the year?

JennyS
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I think having the big tournaments held in a period of 8 months, followed by 2 months of smaller tournaments for players who were lower ranked or injured earlier during the year would be a great idea.

Some fans think that the season is fine because players can choose their events. But I think if the "big events" were played over a shorter period, there would be even more scheduling flexibility.

If the WTA Championships were held two weeks after the US Open and were followed by a 6 week tournament schedule of tier 3,4, 5 (and maybe a couple of tier 2 events) then it could benefit all players. Higher ranked players could take a break, or they could still play and lower ranked players would still have a chance to play and gain experience.

I like that other individual sports, such as golf, put most of the big events in a shorter time frame, because it seems to be beneficial to all the players.

ghosts
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:41 PM
maybe 9 months or less will be better for the players

but for the fans it's definatelly OK as it is ;)

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:08 PM
There are certain "logjams" that aren't spread out enough, I think. In March (this year into early April) 4 weeks are for the "Super Tier I's" (with their $3MM purses) in IW and Key Biscayne, with not even a "Lowly Tier V" anywhere else. RG and Wimby are too close together for HALF the Slams; Berlin and Rome need a week Inbetween, IMO.