PDA

View Full Version : Are people taking out their frustration on the Williams Sisters

Freewoman33
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Well, the Belgians have won almost all the tournaments they’ve played in since last year’s French Open, excluding Wimby where both William sisters were in the Finals. Since the injuries of Venus and Serena, the Belgians have dominated the tour, leaving fans of other players frustrated.

Every time there’s a thread about a Williams sister withdrawal from a tournament, it garners 3 to 4 pages of talks, mostly bashing from one side and defending from the other side.

This brings me to my question. Are fans of other players taking their frustration out on Venus and Serena because, even if they don’t like V and S, they know that Venus and Serena can seriously challenge the Belgians? On the other hand, is it just plain hatred for the Williamses?

Well, maybe I’m wrong and people are content with the state of women’s tennis right now. Hey, as long as those the Williams Sisters aren’t dominating, all is well with the world.

Oh well! Maybe it's just me.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:03 PM
well obviously im a Lindsay fan but i like Venus and Serena alot and i hope they come back soon.

Paneru
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I just find it commical that some of the haters who say they are bad for tennis are still complaining even though they're out. Not sure if it'a all frustration over the Belgians or just their usual venom for V&S.
Though I have seen some posters who were haters just because the Sisters were so dominant and not really being challenged. So, who knows.

As a fan, I can't wait until their back, but most of all, healthy!

Has Venus pulled out of Dubai?
I ws thinking maybe she pulled out of Antwerp because she still has two more years to claim the racquet and just decided to skip it and be in even better shape for Dubai.

sartrista7
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
This brings me to my question. Are fans of other players taking their frustration out on Venus and Serena because, even if they don’t like V and S, they know that Venus and Serena can seriously challenge the Belgians? On the other hand, is it just plain hatred for the Williamses?

Well, maybe I’m wrong and people are content with the state of women’s tennis right now. Hey, as long as those the Williams Sisters aren’t dominating, all is well with the world.

I think most of the frustration is directed at the state of women's tennis right now more than at any specific players... it seems that the only real Williams 'bashers' are the same ones as usual who just like to rile up the Williams fans, and who are very easy to ignore. But women's tennis is rubbish at the moment, and the two main reasons for that are a) so many injuries and b) so few rivalries. As a Venus fan, it's frustrating that she keeps getting injured, and that an extended period of time where she's healthy just doesn't seem like it'll happen any time soon... which in turn prevents any decent rivalries from building up.

The ideal, of course, is that there's a three-way rivalry between Venus, Serena and Justine where the outcome of any give match is never predictable... and injuries are stopping that from happening. It's boring watching Justine beat Kim all the time (even though I love Justine!), and Kim beat everyone else when Justine's not around. It's boring watching Kim full stop.

It doesn't help that Serena gives the impression that she can't be arsed to turn up any more.

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Well that´s been the story of the Williamses, since.......well since forever! It was never right, anything they did...they don´t play enough, they´re this and that, they win too often, they are bad for tennis,etc...

Now it´s dem Belgians and it is STILL about the Williamses. I guess when you´re the best, this is what you get.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Haters will be haters. I have now decided to put all haters who show no sign of intelligence on ignore.

I agree with rista; injuries are ruining the tour. Is the season too long? Is the season too short? are some players just unlucky when it comes to injury? Venus and Serena hardly ever play a full schedule so its hard for me to see the season being too long for them. Maybe they are unlucky like anna and ameilie and monica who seem perpetually injured. Look at martina, injury ended her career.

It only takes a wrong move and justine can end up with a twisted anlke or kim can end up with a broken wrist. Its the nature of sports.

maccardel
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:25 PM
I think that with no real enemy such as serena and venus, then fans have to choose the lesser of two evils out there and they happen to be from the same place again. Why couldn't the two top players be from russia and belgium, why did both have to be from belgium. This is not fun for fans and also take into consideration that the real challenge was from Amelie, but now she is hurt and therefore cannot challenge them the way they are suppose to be challenged. Oh well. When the sisters were on top, everyone was bitching about it and now two other players are on top, they are hoping for the sisters to return and they are tired of seeing the same players in the finals. Now we all realize, it wasn't the sisters' fault to begin with.

vettipooh
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:32 PM
What's really frustrating is that we don't have a clue about Serena's intentions as far as her returning to tennis, is concerned,and Venus being constantly injured.This leaves no real competition to look forward to.Outcomes of matches are now too predictable.I guess some of us are frustrated for reasons which are a combination of both---'no Wiliams sisters and the Belgians winning everything'.Seems that the real challengers,vee,Serena, Amelie,Jcap and Chanda,are all injured,along with players like Dokic,Hantucova,Shaunessy,Stevenson,and Sugiyama,not taking advantage and elevating their level of play.Hope Vee and Serena come back healthy and give us some interesting matches to look forward to.

Justinefan
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Well, the Belgians have won almost all the tournaments they’ve played in since last year’s French Open, excluding Wimby where both William sisters were in the Finals. Since the injuries of Venus and Serena, the Belgians have dominated the tour, leaving fans of other players frustrated.

Every time there’s a thread about a Williams sister withdrawal from a tournament, it garners 3 to 4 pages of talks, mostly bashing from one side and defending from the other side.

I disagree for me at least. I like the Belgians and Capriati Lindsay, even Venus.. I want them to come back. I know when I go to those posts I may not be the one saying, defending taht they should stay away, but I want them to come back just as much as their hardcore fans do. No one can deny that tennis isn't the same without them. I love the Belgians winning, but it'd be nice to have some competition back on the tour.

Freewoman33
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:04 PM
You guys make very important points.

Cyb. I understand totally about Martina. I think it was one of the worse moment in tennis because she retired as such an early age. I think I'd be depressed for months if Venus or Serena were to retire today. Thats how much I love them. This is why I don't get upset when they pull out of tournaments with injuries.

As for them withdrawing after the draws are made, I don't think it's a big deal. Who knows for sure that the TDs are not putting their names in the draws to sell more tickets? Venus stated on her website that she was going to try and play Antwerp. To me, it was not an affirmative statement.

Joachim
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Williams sisters? pffffff

Infiniti2001
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Mostly the latter, I'm sure, trust me it's the same on the aol boards. You have a handful of frustrated fans but you can pick them out easily. :tape:

Joachim
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=Hairspray Queen]The Williams domination is over. :tape:[/QUOT

I agree with you!!! :) :) :) :)

Freewoman33
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:18 PM
How do you add a poster to your ignore list?

paellapan
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:19 PM
What a weird point of view :rolleyes:

so other players' fans are getting frustrated because of the "injuries" of the Williamses ?

Seems rather to me that a lot of fans of the Williamses are losing their patience and are getting more and more frustrated, just take a look at this thread and esp. the signature of the threadstarter...

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=103155

kerbear
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I disagree for me at least. I like the Belgians and Capriati Lindsay, even Venus.. I want them to come back. I know when I go to those posts I may not be the one saying, defending taht they should stay away, but I want them to come back just as much as their hardcore fans do. No one can deny that tennis isn't the same without them. I love the Belgians winning, but it'd be nice to have some competition back on the tour.

I agree with Justinefan. I like all the top players a lot. Belgians, WS, Amelie, Cap and Linds. I would like everyone to come back but I think they're finally waiting until their injuries are healed. Venus tried to come back to soon and she lost early in AO. I think she realized it was too soon and will wait until she's officially healed.

I think Dubai will bring a chance for us to finally see some competition for the Beligians. Amelie and Cap are both supposed to be there. Or maybe we'll wait until Indian Wells...

Of course I'm not one of those people who goes and complains when they pull out. I wish them get well and hope they come back soon!

sartrista7
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:22 PM
How do you add a poster to your ignore list?

Click on their name, then "view public profile", then "add user to ignore list" is in white on the right hand side.

Freewoman33
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks very much.

Paneru
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:29 PM
What a weird point of view :rolleyes:

so other players' fans are getting frustrated because of the "injuries" of the Williamses ?

Seems rather to me that a lot of fans of the Williamses are losing their patience and are getting more and more frustrated, just take a look at this thread and esp. the signature of the threadstarter...

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=103155

No weirder than most of the
crap started by all the haters!

Wow, one thread and everyone's frsustrated! :rolleyes:

How about all the threads hating on the sisters for not playing and
a "lack" of committment and/or respect for the game?
Yet many of these threads are by posters who think
the game is better off w/o them!

Some rational V&S fans while may be being a little frustrated realize that their health is most important above all else. Rather have V&S back in full health than semi-health and developing another injury!

If i were certain haters I'd enjoy it while I could because when the Sisters return in full health it's on! :)

hollywood7172
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM
i think this thread title should be changed to "williams fans"

really, i don't see the same group of williams haters pining for their return, and i don't see the same group who said their williams-finals were bad for tennis praising belgian-finals either.

i think the problem is that williams fans have this chip on their shoulder and they think everything is directed at them, every hatred is about the willies, when in fact there is a LOT of haterd being thrown at other players as well, namely justine and jennifer.:sad: and those two mostly get it from williams fans, who are always complaining of hate from others...:rolleyes:

i admit being a fan gives you more insight as to the shit thrown on this board. i am a capriati fan so i see all the shit tossed her way, perhaps more than a williams fan would.:fiery: on the other hand, a williams fan ( i only like venus, so i'm not a "williams" fan, plus serena gets more shit than venus) probably is attuned to more of the hatred than i would be.:)

here's my take on the issue. there are players i like, andplayers i don't like. some i even hate. but i would NEVER want them to be injured or hurt. i want ALL my female tennis players, whether i like them or not, to play and compete and to make tennis in general more exciting. and that way, who ever wins i will have no complaint--because the best has won. meanwhile, i will try my best not to putdown or badmouth players i don't like--because that is childish at best and hurtful at worst.:tape:

where is the love?:kiss: :hearts: :angel:

Jericho
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:38 PM
There are far more posters whos posts are almost all about dissing the sisters its disgusting. The other player that gets dissed the most is Kim, but the sisters are always bashed playing or not even playing.

esquímaux
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
...mostly bashing from one side and defending from the other side...

Don't forget about the wackos in the middle :silly:

harloo
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:04 PM
On the other hand, is it just plain hatred for the Williamses?
Looks like you answered your own question.

Futhermore, the folks who hate on the Williams about not playing never do it for the concern about the state of women's tennis. They do so because this is their chance to take a jab at the sisters while they are down. It's the nature of WTAworld, so IMO it's nothing new. :lol: If these people think they are covering new ground, they are seriously mistaken.:rolleyes:

Bright Red
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:51 PM
To understand the impact of the WS absence, a distinction must be made between sentiment on this bulletin board and the general opinion of state of women's tennis.

Posters on this board tend to be avid and polarized fans of certain players and aren't really representative of the audience at large. So the absence of the WS (love them or hate them) will invariably have a far bigger impact. There are strong opinions on both sides resulting in huge excitement for some and incredible boredom for others. And of course, some could care less one way or the other.

I don't think these extremes are widespread within the general audience as the WS do not make or break the entire sport. The broader community obviously feels the WS are excellent competition. They just happen to be injured right now--just like other players. They'll heal and come back. This is no different from how it's always been and probably not a big deal.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM
To understand the impact of the WS absence, a distinction must be made between sentiment on this bulletin board and the general opinion of state of women's tennis.

Posters on this board tend to be avid and polarized fans of certain players and aren't really representative of the audience at large. You Mean Many of the posters are supposed to realize That The World Won't end if their favorite players don't win? :eek:

starr
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I'm not frustrated.

I'm highly entertained. :)

I was reading Seabiscuit. He wasn't much good on an off track and because of the condition of his legs, his handlers didn't want to run him except on a fast track. He was scratched many, many times at the last minute. Fans booed loudly and longly. And don't say it didn't matter because he was a horse. His trainer and owner were the ones who got the booing, not the horse.

And as for Venus and Serena getting bashing on these boards, it seems to me that most of the top players get terrible things said about them. Kim, Justine, Capriati, Myskina..... and even though they aren't top players, Daniela and Anna are routinely ridiculed.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I can't imagine ever getting up enough gumption to actually hate a player. I really didn't care for Justine after that hand thing at the french but I wouldn't say I hated her. Its just a game for Christ's sake. Everyone is doing their best. How could you hate an athlete? As if they could ever have any real affect on your life. I refuse to believe that every poster on this board is a resentful, jealous, acne ridden thirteen year old.

starr
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM
I agree. Hating someone is pretty strong. But then "hate" is a mighty overused words. I say I hate beets. But I don't actually hate them. I say I hate George Bush, but I don't really hate him.

People on this board who say things critical about the Williams Sisters are labled haters, but probably they just dislike Venus and Serena.....

There are people who say extremely nasty things about Justine. I'm thinking they don't actually hate her.

Siyasema
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:07 PM
i think this thread title should be changed to "williams fans"

really, i don't see the same group of williams haters pining for their return, and i don't see the same group who said their williams-finals were bad for tennis praising belgian-finals either.

i think the problem is that williams fans have this chip on their shoulder and they think everything is directed at them, every hatred is about the willies, when in fact there is a LOT of haterd being thrown at other players as well, namely justine and jennifer.:sad: and those two mostly get it from williams fans, who are always complaining of hate from others...:rolleyes:

I disagree with some of this. I have read a few comments about fans of both Venus and Serena having this chip on their shoulders and I think that itself is false.

When in a thread about Venus withdrawing out of Antwerp comes up and a poster states the WTA should ban Venus because of this particular case, where does the chip come into play? I think posters are reacting to comments such as these on the message board.

It's as if there is a moment of schizophrenia with some fans who dislike the Williams Sisters; both Venus and Serena. I can only imagine it is about dislike and nothing in between.

When Venus and Serena are playing and quotes of domination and it being bad for women's tennis come into play, you can count that as dislike. When Venus and Serena are injured or have not come back on a particular timetable and some fans bash them for that, what else but dislike can be claimed for that? Especially if Venus and Serena were playing, these same fans would still claim a wrong on the Sisters part?

When a Sister's name is mentioned and something derogatory or negative is mentioned how does that conclude a fan of either Sister is only reacting because of a chip on the shoulder?

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I agree. Hating someone is pretty strong. But then "hate" is a mighty overused words. I say I hate beets. But I don't actually hate them. I say I hate George Bush, but I don't really hate him.

People on this board who say things critical about the Williams Sisters are labled haters, but probably they just dislike Venus and Serena.....

There are people who say extremely nasty things about Justine. I'm thinking they don't actually hate her.
Absolutely Agree. With the exception of bigotry, I think what's really meant is "hating on" someone, a very different thing. ;)

saki
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I think that everyone (including the 'haters' cos they're bored now ;) ) is disappointed not to have either Venus or Serena playing. It is getting dull (and I'm a Justine fan!) and it's also getting annoying when people claim that Justine's wins are only due to V&S not being there. As far as I can tell, what's happening is that non-Williams fans are letting that disappointment sometimes become vicious or unpleasant whereas (obviously) Williams fans aren't.

saki
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM
There are far more posters whos posts are almost all about dissing the sisters its disgusting. The other player that gets dissed the most is Kim, but the sisters are always bashed playing or not even playing.
Oh, come on, the player that gets bashed most after V&S is definitely Justine!

Jericho
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Oh, come on, the player that gets bashed most after V&S is definitely Justine!
you can say that since, she is hated by fans of venus, serena, kim, capriati, and davenport :o

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:01 PM
And as for Venus and Serena getting bashing on these boards, it seems to me that most of the top players get terrible things said about them. Kim, Justine, Capriati, Myskina..... and even though they aren't top players, Daniela and Anna are routinely ridiculed.
True. I don't see that Venus and Serena cop more vilification and ridicule, in proportion to the number of posts about them, than those other players. Daniela and Anna K are ridiculed unmercifully. Justine is a "cheater". Cappy is obese, an ex-criminal etc, etc.

In the case of V&S it is about five posters who really dislike them, and have some carping comment in every thread. It's easy to define exactly who those posters are and then put them on ignore.

There are also some posters who can't let anything good be said about any other player without feeling the need to put them down and make some point about them not being as good as the sisters. I find this rather irritating, but I suppose I could put them on ignore, too, if it got really bad.

sartrista7
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:08 PM
In the case of V&S it is about five posters who really dislike them, and have some carping comment in every thread. It's easy to define exactly who those posters are and then put them on ignore.

And in most of those cases you sense that they don't hate V and S per se, but that they're just immature kids who like pissing people off over the internet... and they've found that Williams fans are very easy to piss off. I've even seen Diya, for example, make some nice comments about the Williamses when she thinks no one's looking... but she loves to rile up their fans, and sadly a lot of them fall for it every time.

There is really vicious Williams hate on other boards, but not so much here.