PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters won Open Gaz De France 2004: 62 61 against Pierce

AaronJoyB
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:40 PM
:) well done Kim..

now destroy Justine in Belgium!

xin_hui
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:41 PM
the win is expected, but the scoreline is a bit shocking:eek:

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Well done....as long as it isnt a GS-final and it isnt against Justine, Kim can do! :yeah:

venusfan
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:43 PM
wow.. I'm sure the spectators are happy they saw this match. *yawn*

K&J fan
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM
congrats Kimmy :banana:

and of course :wavey: to the haters :p

Kim_for_number_1
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM
well done kim!! she played great this week!

Tompier
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Mary :sad: but it is your firt tourney this season and you did a good job :bounce:

G_Slammed
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Should have been a double bagel... you disappoint me Kim.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
kudos to mary too!makes her first final in decades!

kim4eva
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
:worship: :yeah: Kim! :hug: :kiss:
Congrats Kimmmie!

alexusjonesfan
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
the win is expected, but the scoreline is a bit shocking:eek:
my thoughts exactly :eek:

congrats Kim :yeah:

Mercury Rising
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
wow.. I'm sure the spectators are happy they saw this match. *yawn*Obviously you didn't see it, cause it was a good match with some great tennis, especially the first set. it was closer than the score suggests.

GoDominique
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:51 PM
PierceCheng won't be happy. :unsure:

Lady
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Butterfly, I only don't understand why you bring Justine in celebration topic for Kim?? :shrug:

Congrats Kim fans! (esp. Nica :kiss: )

morbidangle
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Congrats Kim!

Mary! :sad:

Joachim
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Congratulations KIMMY!! Kim played perfect!!

justine&coria
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah, Kim played really great !!
25 winners to 5 UEs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Pierce had 20 winners to 19UEs, and yet she lost)

Andrew.
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Poor Mary. :sad:

vettipooh
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Scoreline is totally unexpected, but I'm sure Mary give it her best shot.

angele87
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Well done Kimmie :D :yeah:

Hagar
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Match was less one-sided than the scoreline. Pierce was good, I'm glad to see her back. But Kim was just... well, we know how she is indoors...

John83
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Kim beat the Mofo :)

stijntje
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
good performance by Kim!

now keep playing that way next week when I'm gonna see you play in Antwerp ;);)

Seles_Beckham
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:48 PM
BRAVO Kim """!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy_Fool
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Wow, what the hell happened to Pierce?! I did not believe she is that much worse than Clijsters!

silverwhite
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
PierceCheng won't be happy. :unsure:

I hope he doesn't start a thread titled, "Shoud I Blame Kim Clijsters?". :haha:

THE NET
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:24 PM
OMG, Mary lost to Kim 'the jerk'? Gosh, she must played badly. :mad:

Hawk
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Well Done Kim :D :bounce:

I can't believe she had 5 aces in this match :eek:

tfannis
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Well Done Kim :D :bounce:

I can't believe she had 5 aces in this match :eek:
Two in the first game if I'm not mistaken :eek:...I was kinda worried since Kim seemed to be saving her always present double faults for the important stages of the match ;)...but it turned out alright :worship:

Congrats Kimmy :kiss:

NaturalBlues
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Bet you didn't see that match ;)
It was quite good actually.

pigam
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:28 PM
It was a good match.
Mary played some great shots but Kim was just :eek: today. I tell you, there is noone ad this moment who can beat Kim ad her own game (that is playing fast from the back of the court). Not even Justine. The only chance Justine has is 'fooling' with Kim by giving her high balls, slice etc. and obviously, it's working :angel:
Farina prooved it too, Kim can be bothered especially when she is in a bad day. But NO WAY will anyone beat Kim ad her own game indoors. No way. Serena & Venus will have to be really sharp, especially their serves, if they want to beat Kim. her defense, offense and serve were ON. Players who arn't prepared/able/willing to try something different against Kim are going to get crushed. She's just too fast, too bendy, too confident just too plain good.
Nice match Kim!

jenglisbe
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM
pigam - In general, Justine beats Kim in the finals of majors (i.e. because of the situation, not her style of play). Take out those matches, and Kim is a dominating 9-4 in the head-to-head with Justine.

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Every Match is Different.
Clijsters reminds me a little of Hingis RE: being able to crush players with almost No unforced errors...the Problem comes when people a. could hit out-right winners (Williams sisters) and b. Can get to most of her shots, forcing her to go for too much (Justine/Williams sisters.)

pigam
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:36 PM
pigam - In general, Justine beats Kim in the finals of majors (i.e. because of the situation, not her style of play). Take out those matches, and Kim is a dominating 9-4 in the head-to-head with Justine.
Watch those matches again. Justine always comes out with a specific game plan to beat Kim. It works. I agree that Kim's mental state has something to do with it too, but it is often Justine who drives Kim crazy by her tactics. Kim knows it, her trainer knows it too.

Now please, let's not start about Kim's *lost* finals;.
I only siad I think she is practically unbeatable @ her own game. Justine (or Farina) do NOT play like pierce or Safina, that's all I say. Pierce played well, really well, but Kim is just too good .

tfannis
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Oh by the way :D For those who saw the match...was it just me or did Kim's French improve tremendously? :eek: She still made quite some mistakes but it all sounded very fluently (she nearly made it to her Flemish speaking speed ;)) and she didn't mind giving long answers and she answered to the point...It sounded as if she had a little practice the last couple of months :)

faste5683
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Kim played really great !!
25 winners to 5 UEs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Pierce had 20 winners to 19UEs, and yet she lost)

Wow, that is a clean match! Yet the score was so lopsided.

Way to go Kim (and great effort by Mary.)

:banana:

pigam
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Oh by the way :D For those who saw the match...was it just me or did Kim's French improve tremendously? :eek: She still made quite some mistakes but it all sounded very fluently (she nearly made it to her Flemish speaking speed ;)) and she didn't mind giving long answers and she answered to the point...It sounded as if she had a little practice the last couple of months :)
Mmmm, her French wasn't that good, I thought, but it's true she was giving long answers and the fact she speaks French is something Justine could learn from (to speak Dutch, of course ;) )

About hte practice... maybe she has a real good friend she speaks French with ... euhm ... could it be... Justine :angel: ;)

ans
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I saw an on-court interview on the French television and I was impressed by her French! Still with many mistakes but she wasn't afraid to answer everything in French and she spoke very fluently. I think that's great:)
Oh, and btw, great match with many fantastic points.

Tompier
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Match was good, but not for people like you I guess. You need eyes to see that. :rolleyes:

tfannis
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Mmmm, her French wasn't that good, I thought, but it's true she was giving long answers and the fact she speaks French is something Justine could learn from (to speak Dutch, of course ;) )

About hte practice... maybe she has a real good friend she speaks French with ... euhm ... could it be... Justine :angel: ;)Well they did meet quite often the last couple of months so maybe Kim is picking up French a bit so she can say nasty things to Justine or so ;) (j/k)

Her French wasn't all that great but it was really so much better than the last couple of times she spoke with the French press....Allthough making mistakes (le numero un du montre :o) She said what she wanted to say and it was all pretty clear and to the point...last year she was interviewed by Nelson Monfort on France 3 during Roland Garros and she was sitting in his studio with her cute red cheeks and stuttering and scrambling some words, trying to answer as quick as possible....I really had the impression she improved a lot (was Nathalie Tauziat laughing at her at one point? :fiery: Or was she just being friendly? :o)

Fedcup
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM
pigam - In general, Justine beats Kim in the finals of majors (i.e. because of the situation, not her style of play). Take out those matches, and Kim is a dominating 9-4 in the head-to-head with Justine.What a stupid post.

Uhm let take away the matches outside the GS and uhm Justine is dominating Kim 3-0 in the head tot head. Really stupid post jenglisbe.

Besides congrats to Kim on this wonderful win. Good luck next week

kwanfan
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Way To Go Kim! Keep It Up In Antwerp! :bounce:

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:59 PM
:yawn:

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM
It was a good match.
Mary played some great shots but Kim was just :eek: today. I tell you, there is noone ad this moment who can beat Kim ad her own game (that is playing fast from the back of the court). Not even Justine. The only chance Justine has is 'fooling' with Kim by giving her high balls, slice etc. and obviously, it's working :angel:
Farina prooved it too, Kim can be bothered especially when she is in a bad day. But NO WAY will anyone beat Kim ad her own game indoors. No way. Serena & Venus will have to be really sharp, especially their serves, if they want to beat Kim. her defense, offense and serve were ON. Players who arn't prepared/able/willing to try something different against Kim are going to get crushed. She's just too fast, too bendy, too confident just too plain good.
Nice match Kim!

Im sure you meant to say: No one can beat Kim like that INDOORS!! Because on outdoor hardcourts, still think the Williamses are in a class-apart.

Lady
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:16 PM
The problem with Mary today was she was too slow for Kim ;)

Not taking anything away from Kim's great play today! :)

VivalaSeles
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:37 PM
:yawn:
Did you - at least - watch the match ?

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Did you - at least - watch the match ?
:yawn: No. Why? You knew Kim would win. The WTA is BORING right now, and it will be until Venus-Serena-Amelie-Jennifer and are all back and playing at 100%. I haven't even been in this forum much, because WTA tennis sucks right now

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Im sure you meant to say: No one can beat Kim like that INDOORS!! Because on outdoor hardcourts, still think the Williamses are in a class-apart.

That is in fact exactly what Pigam said.

VivalaSeles
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:00 PM
:yawn: No. Why? You knew Kim would win. The WTA is BORING right now, and it will be until Venus-Serena-Amelie-Jennifer and are all back and playing at 100%. I haven't even been in this forum much, because WTA tennis sucks right now
It's wonderful to see that, even if you don't watch the matches, you still have no problem in telling me how boring the WTA is right now and how greatly it sucks. You know what: I prefer to see the matches and then form an opinion. Moreover, the "entertaining" factor of matches is not restricted to who wins or who loses. For your information and despite the scoreline, Mary vs Pierce was thouroughly entertaining with lots of great shots. But you are not interested in that: just on who won and how the WTA sucks. It's a pity.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:47 AM

Dokic was the last player to beat Clijsters INDOORS! :D And before that I think it was Venus in Antwerp2003

Myskina also beat her but she was injured and forfeited the match, so it wasn't really a win

Rub
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:38 AM
nice win for kim! now get a grandslam kimmy! :Dance:

pigam
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Well they did meet quite often the last couple of months so maybe Kim is picking up French a bit so she can say nasty things to Justine or so ;) (j/k)

Her French wasn't all that great but it was really so much better than the last couple of times she spoke with the French press....Allthough making mistakes (le numero un du montre :o) She said what she wanted to say and it was all pretty clear and to the point...last year she was interviewed by Nelson Monfort on France 3 during Roland Garros and she was sitting in his studio with her cute red cheeks and stuttering and scrambling some words, trying to answer as quick as possible....I really had the impression she improved a lot (was Nathalie Tauziat laughing at her at one point? :fiery: Or was she just being friendly? :o)
Nath was prolly laughing at her ;) :(

jlamire
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM
It's wonderful to see that, even if you don't watch the matches, you still have no problem in telling me how boring the WTA is right now and how greatly it sucks. You know what: I prefer to see the matches and then form an opinion. Moreover, the "entertaining" factor of matches is not restricted to who wins or who loses. For your information and despite the scoreline, Mary vs Pierce was thouroughly entertaining with lots of great shots. But you are not interested in that: just on who won and how the WTA sucks. It's a pity.
People follows the wta for personalities and not for tennis but it's ok for me.
I've spent 8 hours watching quarter finals in Paris last week. No Williams, no Justine, no Jenny etc... but I've spent great moments. Maybe I like tennis, don't I?

Astro Jetson
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:30 AM
You're right, GoDominique. This event is hurting all of Mary Pierce's fans (include myself). :o

Thus, I can't say anything to comfort her...... :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :hysteric: :sobbing: :crying2:

However, this time she has the best score in this year currently!! :bounce: :hearts: :inlove: :kiss: :wavey:

*dead*

moby
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM
sheesh... at some point you'd think people will realise that justine has won FIVE out of their past SEVEN encounters... ONE of her TWO losses came from a retirement in a match she was leading... :rolleyes:

it's a bit like, take out venus' last 6(?) matches against serena and she is a dominating 5-2. or take out the finals of the majors they met and venus has a 4-3 lead.

Astro Jetson
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:50 AM
*dead*

:haha: I just got bad repped by PierceCheng with the words "Are you saying I am dead?"

Andy_
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Match was good, but not for people like you I guess. You need eyes to see that. :rolleyes:
You're quite right, Tompier! :) The final score actually doesn't mirror what happened on court... Mary started playing some awesome shots, and the match opened with some really outstanding rallies. There were winners coming from both players almost on every point, and that is quite the definition of a quality match. What was evident, though, is that Kim was quite comfortable playing with that kind of intensity and consistency, whereas Mary is just on her way back to that level. I was very happy to see that Mary's been working hard, and fitness-wise the change from her first matches of the past season was dramatic! Still, even in her best days, Mary's never been the fastest girl out there, and right now if she doesn't manage to go for her shots and is forced to play a defensive game, those limits appear too much of a hurdle, when her opponent is Kim. Yesterday Kim was very focused, made very few unforced errors, served amazingly well and was pretty relentless, fighting on every single point.
:worship: to Kim for a good solid win and her usual sportsmanship
:worship: to Mary for showing the will to come back and compete at high level, and for being able to smile on a tennis court, and to applaud her opponent's best shots!

starr
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
:worship: Kim.

What a girl! To spend the time to learn to speak a third language sufficiently well to give answers in an interview. That's very accomplished. :)

I wish American players would take the time to learn at least ONE other language.