PDA

View Full Version : How Can Mary Beat Kim?

VeNuS#1LoVa
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:41 AM
I'm trying to think in my head any possiblw ways for Mary to beat Kim, but none come to mind. Kim has her beat in many departments and I'm wondering if Mary does do it, what should her strategy be?

BTW, How do you like my "Supportive Signature":devil:

treufreund
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Mary needs to serve well and be aggressive as much as possible and try to finish some pts off at the net with swinging volleys and some of her touch shots too. Return well and consistently and throw in some short angled shots from time to time.

Andrew.
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Love your sig. ;)

Mary has come so close to winning the first set from Kim, I see no reason why she can't this time, then carry that momentum over to the next set. Allez Mary! :D

VeNuS#1LoVa
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Yes, I think the first set will be the key, if Mary loses it, I don't think she has a chance...but I hope she does it.

Couver
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Mary has to find her "Zone" if she can do that, Kim will find it very tough to beat her.

Berlin_Calling
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Love your sig. ;)

Mary has come so close to winning the first set from Kim, I see no reason why she can't this time, then carry that momentum over to the next set. Allez Mary! :D
so true. last year in filderstadt, when Mary was less fit and when Kim was playin well (maybe better than this week), Mary pushed her in the first set. I think winning the first set would be important for Mary this time and if she just plays her game, she can win. There is not a reason why Mary could not beat Kim if she played her game. In fact, if each played their best, Mary would win.

PS, love the sig VeNuS#1LoVa ;)

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Just BLOW HER AWAY. Do not try to wear her down 'cause she keeps counterpunching, until the point when she gives you a sharper return and you're in trouble, and as we all know, Pierce doesn't move that well so she cannot run Kim around. Serve well and go for the winners at the 2nd 3rd shot. Some will end up in errors but Pierce does this well so Kim will lose confidence and crumble

There's no need for touch or net play, just hit winners out of nowhere and Kim is gone

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:24 AM
I'm trying to think in my head any possiblw ways for Mary to beat Kim, but none come to mind. Kim has her beat in many departments and I'm wondering if Mary does do it, what should her strategy be?

BTW, How do you like my "Supportive Signature":devil:

Well, anybody can beat anybody on any given day. That's the glory of tennis.

Greenout
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:25 AM
She should do what Agassi does..stay planted on the back court and
control the rallies. Don't make it a running match. Kim's the best
when she on the run going side to side or forward. Ton's of ace's
would help too.

Fingon
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:10 AM
it's up to how Kim faces the match.

Mary, on or off form is one of the best strikers of the ball, when she is on (her game, not physically) she is lethal, her problem is that she doesn't get to the balls.

A good example was her match against Chanda last year (can't remember the tournament and can't bother to look). First set Chanda was playing dumb, to Mary's' body and Mary won 6-0, then Chanda started to move Mary around and won.

The same will happen here, if Mary is on. If Kim moves her around I think Kim will win, but if Kim is dumb and hits down the middle, to Mary's body she is in big trouble.

Additionally, Mary needs to start well, because that will get the crowd on her side. The french are not very patient and if she starts bad she can get booed, on the other hand, if it looks like she can put up a fight, the crowd will be behind her and believe me, they can be really noisy. I don't know how Kim will deal with that since she has never played with the crowd agaisnt her.

Berlin_Calling
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:17 AM
it was the Aussie Open 2nd round Fingon ;)

and yeah, Mary needs to take control initially, moving is definitely not her forte, but i think she is moving 75% better than she was at last years aussie. still, mary needs to overpower kim and not let her get into the rallies.

fammmmedspin
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:22 AM
FO Sf 94.:worship:

tenn_ace
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:27 AM
she should play like Farina Elia: no rythm, no pace.

of course, it' not what Mary's game is about, so she'll try to power herself through the final, trying to move Kim around a court. Kim is better at playing this kind of tennis, so in my books, Mary has very little to chance to beat Kim.

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:29 AM
I think Mary needs to attack the second serve and try to end the points early. I would hit a lot of angled shots to Kim's forehand...waiting for the "splits" which always bring out an easy ball.

Jakeev
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Just to echo what some have already said, Mary needs to be lethal off the ground from the first point and not let the match get into a running game.

Kim is too quick off the ground and can out run Mary easily from anywhere on the court.

But like I said, Mary is still a lethal player and if she is fitter than she was last year, Kim could be in danger.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM
kim, just dropshot her...if she makes it to the net, then give really high lobs so she has to run back to the baseline.

Dawn Marie
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:55 AM
I don't think Mary will win but if she were to be coached I would state the following:

Attack Kim's forhand especially when it starts to go off. Hit with angles and make Kim move forward as Kim doesn't seem to like to move forward. Apply pressure from the baseline and attack Kim's balls with alot of pace stand on the baseline and not in the back. Attack Kim's service especially the first, thus she'll get nervous and start throwing in doubles. Attack that first serve go for it!

Pretend like you are hurt and just go for winners all over the court.

Tratree
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:35 AM
One of Mary's best shots is the backhand down the line. This shot is seldom used these days with everyone seeming to want to rally cross court and end it with a big forehand. Mary is one of THE best at turning those shoulders and nailing the bh down the line for a winner. Change of direction is a good thing :)