PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider Anastasia Myskina to be the best ever Russian WTA player!?

S-O-S
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:04 AM
now that she has won Tier I Moscow beating #1/2 in the world, and actually ranked ahead of Serena:eek: with a chance to break into TOP 5 playing 2 tier II's soon and ranked far ahead of the others. She does have the best ever Russian ranking at #6, so i guess we can start considering calling her the top Russian like we did to Amelie

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Olga Morokova was better.

We'll see I guess...

johnboy4
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:21 AM
myskina is the best

S-O-S
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:53 AM
that's strange, i thought no Russians before had ever achieved what Nastya had done,
i dont understand why all the people who dont give her credits at all

AnDyDog621
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I think no one gives Myskina as much credit because other Russians had more potential and burst on the scene before her, while she kind of quietly made it through the top 20, then 15, then 10...now top 6 until next week at least, but anyway, She certainly does have a tier one win...but i think a semifinals in a major is more important (even though Lisa and Zugala just did it) or at least stands out more...but she certainly is the best SINGLES Russian player ever

fammmmedspin
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Myskina is a gem. Olga gets it on career though still

http://www.wtatour.com/players/playerprofiles/PlayerBio.asp?PlayerID=130228

Depends on what you mean by Russian too. If you include the Former Soviet Union states Natasha Zvereva is ahead on GS performances, wins and scalps. Natasha has Graf, Seles, Davenport and Venus knotches on her racket.

Shooter
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:25 AM
By virtue of her #6 ranking, I think Myskina has proven herself to be the best Russian ever. She may still go higher. She's one player who doesn't seem to be injury prone.

fammmmedspin
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:35 AM
By virtue of her #6 ranking, I think Myskina has proven herself to be the best Russian ever. She may still go higher. She's one player who doesn't seem to be injury prone.
You can't measure Olga's ranking - though she does have it on GS and wins.

If you count FSU players, Natasha was ranked higher than Anastasia has got to yet, has a better GS record and when I checked had wins over Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Seles, ASV, Hingis, Davenport and Venus which is a complete set of number 1s before Jennifer. Myskina of course hasn't been at it as long and may get there.

Jakeev
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:10 AM
that's strange, i thought no Russians before had ever achieved what Nastya had done,
i dont understand why all the people who dont give her credits at all

Compare and contrast the career of Morozova to Myskina and then get back to us.

But somebody is destined to replace Morozova its just a matter of time.

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Well Anastasia has yet to make a slam semi whilst Petrova, Dementieva have and Kournikova did. Results wise outside the slams, scalps and rankings she is definately the best currently but I'd put Morokova ahead of her at the moement.

Daniel
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:39 AM
yes, she is the best Russian player right now :D :bounce:

Jeff
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:40 AM
No, Anastasia cannot be considered the best Russian yet. I know for sure Anastasia doesn't consider herself the best, either. She still has many more years to reach for that, and I have no doubt that she can; She has the talent!!

What matters right now, though, is that she is the "current" best Russian. All she has to do now is gain confidence that she can beat the top five players.

Dymension
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Anastasia is the best Russian right now, but Olga Morozova and Natasha Zvereva are ahead of Myskina on Grand Slam performances. (Both reaching a final)

But theres still time for Myskina. ;)

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Yes

Rollo
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Pul-LEASE ladies and gentlemen!

Greatest Russian EVER?:rolleyes: In history? Does one have to define "greatest" "ever" and "history"? Maybe she's the greatest ever if you have the lifespan of a flea!

How many Grand slam semis does Myskina have?
How many slam finals?
How many Doubles slam titles?

Drum roll please......NONE! Zero, Zippola, the Bagela :devil:

Olga Morozova twice made grand slam finals in 1974. She was ranked in the World's top 10 from 1972-75 and was ranked as high #4 in 1974. She also won a slam doubles title.

Sorry to be harsh, and I do like Myskina, but know your tennis history or at least:tape:

Rollo
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I apologize for my little rant. I like Myskina and hope she goes on to pass Olga:angel:
BTW-Morozova would have done better had the USSR not stopped her and all Russians form playing after 1976. The USSR protested South Africa's and kept men and women off the tour until the 1980s.

Volcana
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Some people have no memeory past five years, and can't be bothered to read tennis history. I can't beleive the number of people who answered that question yes. What next? Serena Williams is the best American player ever? Alicia Molik is the best Australian ever?

Experimentee
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:07 PM
You think she is the best ever just because she won a Tier I and got to some GS quarterfinals? :rolleyes:

S-O-S
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
well, i admitted that i didnt know who Olga was, however, i do know my history,
the reason why i said Russia was because i didnt include former Soviet in there, so far
Russia only existed for a few years am i not right? so "so far" Nastya is the best ever.
and from the short time "Russia" existed, Nastya has been the best player ever,
singles-wise anyways:)

S-O-S
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM
You think she is the best ever just because she won a Tier I and got to some GS quarterfinals? :rolleyes:
Tier I titles do award more points than a GS SF you know;)

Leo_DFP
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Obviously not. Morozova is the best ever, but I think it's inevitable that someone achieve more than her (possibly even Myskina some day, but not yet).

for-sure
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
A healthy Anna would Kill Myskina

flyingmachine
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Myskina is a good player but a lot needed to improve especailly her serve. It will be better for if she just beefy up a bit :boxing: so she can match the power of the belgiums and the williams. By then the WTA will be very interesting :drool: