PDA

View Full Version : Kim to receive Belgian Trophy on tuesday.... ...

vettipooh
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:18 PM
After her doubles match with Elke,for Sports Personality Of The Year 2003. Well done Kim.Now take that diamond racquet since Vee is out .

tennnisfannn
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Why shouldn't Justine recieve it, she is the one making the loudest noise on the tour. She is the one making all the difference, she is the one with the big titles which IMO equals big personality. She has shown drive and determination. Surely this isn't a Miss Congeniality contest.

vettipooh
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:29 AM
True,true,true,but it all depends on their definition of 'personality'.I'm not sure what their focus was.

beauty_is_pink
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:44 AM
yay KIM!!!! :D

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM
This award was voted for by the public. It has nothing to do with your results. And results do not = personality.

justine&coria
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:17 AM
This was voted by Flemish people, if I'm right !
It's a kind of Trophy made especially for Clijsters to win at least one trophy for last year (since Justine has them all)!

xin_hui
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:33 AM
It's a kind of Trophy made especially for Clijsters to win at least one trophy for last year (since Justine has them all)!
whatever:rolleyes:

gentenaire
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM
This was voted by Flemish people, if I'm right ! !

You're wrong.

Previous winners are: Dominique Monami (she was the first), Luc Van Lierde (Iron man winner), Gella Vandecaveye (judo), Jacques Rogge (IOC prez) and Marc Herremans (tri-athlete who ended 6th on his first Iron man, then had a terrible biking accident which left him paralysed waist down. The next year, he was again taking part in the Iron man, this time in a wheel chair. he had to give up during the swimming. This year however he did finish)

From Ironmanlive.com

For last years sixth place finisher, competing this weekend is both a joy, and an amazing disappointment. Herremans came off the race of his life in 2001, only to have tragedy strike just a few months later. On January 28th, he was hit by a car while training on his bike, and ended up with a broken back.

He was told that would have to stay in hospital for at least eight months. He was told that it would take a year before he would be able to do any sort of physical activity.

That might have been the case for most, but Herremans refused to follow that progression. Within four months, he was back training for what will now be the biggest challenge of his life completing the Ironman Triathlon without using his legs. Hell swim, handcycle, and push a wheelchair through the 140.6 miles ahead of him on Saturday.

The doctors told him that his body would need a year to recover. Now, after eight months, hes competing at the Ironman. Being in Kona this week has been difficult for him, though.

Its very difficult to see all the other athletes with healthy bodies and theyre looking good, and Im sitting in a wheelchair, its not easy. Herremans said. Im glad Im here, otherwise I would be at home, lying down and crying. But Im here, and Im glad. Its going to be a hard day, and Ive trained very hard for it.

Even if he doesnt finish, though, just getting to the line on Saturday will be a victory for the 28-year-old.

I have achieved my first goal, just getting to the start line, he said. If I dont finish, I know that there are worse things than that. I made it through the 28th of January. Its the worst thing that can happen to an athlete breaking your back. And if I cant finish the race, Ill be back next year better prepared.

Ive always been fighting in my life, doing things that other people dont do. My lifes not over, and I want to do things that I enjoy, and this is one of them.

Well be rooting for Herremans right here on Ironmanlive.com this Saturday

(18.10.2002

alexusjonesfan
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:08 PM
congrats Kim :yeah: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM
OMG a JHH fan negative repped me for this comment I made in this thread

This award was voted for by the public. It has nothing to do with your results. And results do not = personality.

Because according to them it was a Flemish award, It is not as Beggin' Beguine will support me in. The whole of Belgium could have voted if they wanted to, so maybe they chose not to - heck that isn't Kim's fault:rolleyes:

I think they may be a little testy that Kim got this award. Wonder if they will give me another negative rep:tape:

:yawn:

Cookie
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Because according to them it was a Flemish award, It is not as Beggin' Beguine will support me in. The whole of Belgium could have voted if they wanted to, so maybe they chose not to - heck that isn't Kim's fault:rolleyes:

It wasn't aired in the French speaking part, so not really.

xin_hui
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM
the way the justine fans defend her for not winning is really funny...:lol:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:41 PM
It wasn't aired in the French speaking part, so not really.
Well ladida my Friend is Wallonian and he voted for Henin.....

minboy
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM
That was a tv-show broadcasted only in flanders, so, theorically, only flemish people did vote. Off course you can vote as a walloon, but it is quite difficult to do so if you don't even know the existence of such an award ceremony ( which was the case ). Nobody never heard of this trophy outside Flanders.

justine&coria
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
the way the justine fans defend her for not winning is really funny...:lol:

The way some Kim fans are happy because Kim received that kind of trophy is pathetic ! Personality : WOW !! :rolleyes:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:18 PM
The way some Kim fans are happy because of this trophy is pathetic ! :rolleyes:

who said we were so happy? We just are annoyed that Kim wins one trophy and so some not all JHH fans make excuses why Kim won, so of course we are going to defend Kim winning it cause she won it fair and square end of argument.

angele87
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
The way some Kim fans are happy because Kim received that kind of trophy is pathetic ! Personality : WOW !! :rolleyes:
I don't know about all the other Kim fans but personally I support her because of her great personality and because of the great person she is, not because of how many tournaments she wins. Of course I'd love for Kim to win grand slams but at the end of the day I think being a good person ( i.e having a good personality) is worth more. Note that this isn't to say that Justine isn't a good person or anything like that, I'm just explaining why some Kim fans are happy with this kind of trophy :)

Lore
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Go Kim
but she is still from Limburg, you know!
grapje
:wavey:

tfannis
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
It's funny how Justine fans come up with the Flemish stuff...Dominique Monami was the first to win that trophy....and if I'm not mistaken Dominique = Walloon :rolleyes:

And :rolleyes: at justine&coria...who needs personality right? :rolleyes: It's a cool trophy and i'm happy Kim won...she deserves it in my opinion...she's a great ambassador for the sports (the ITF and the other players awarded her too for her personality so the fact that Kim won because this is a "Flemish" trophy is crap)

minboy
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:27 PM
It's funny how Justine fans come up with the Flemish stuff...Dominique Monami was the first to win that trophy....and if I'm not mistaken Dominique = Walloon :rolleyes:

)
please........, you know that most flemish prefer kim over justine only beceuse she's flemish ( i'm not talking about people on this board, but about average people ), so don't act like her being flemish had no incidence on the vote.

A LOT of things happen since 1997 anyway

minboy
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I'd like to add that there is a misunderstanding about the expression "sport personnality" . People seem to think it has to do with personnality, caracter, or whatever, but i don't think it's about personnality as a psychological thing. I thing we should understand "sport personnality" as "sport-figure". Then that would be a trophy that people from the world of sport - and not only succesfull sportsmen- could get : like jacques rogge, who's not a sportmen, but a big "sport-figure", herremans, who finished #1544534687464 at the iron man, but is a "sport-figure", like a football coach, ...........it think that was a way to award sport people even though they aren't successfull or really doing sport.

What would be the reason to award a "sportman who has a great personnality " anyway? I mean, i know tons of people who are playing football, tennis, .......and who are very very funny and stuff, but no way they will ever get such a trophey

gentenaire
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM
please........, you know that most flemish prefer kim over justine only beceuse she's flemish

rubbish! I'm sure I know a lot more Flemish people than you do, most people say the same thing: Justine's got the nicest game, Kim's got the nicest personality. How many Flemish flags do you see when Kim is playing? How many Belgian flags do you see? That should make it pretty clear that it's just the media making the disctinction, not the people.

tfannis
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:51 PM
please........, you know that most flemish prefer kim over justine only beceuse she's flemish ( i'm not talking about people on this board, but about average people ), so don't act like her being flemish had no incidence on the vote.

A LOT of things happen since 1997 anyway
I agree it had influence, but I don't think it was determined...if Flemish and Walloon would have voted in equal amounts I still think Kim would have won...but off course that is speculation. So we will never know.
But Justine fans claiming Justine didn't win because it were basicly Flemish votes is not a great argument. *sigh* Dominique = Walloon :smash:

tfannis
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
rubbish! I'm sure I know a lot more Flemish people than you do, most people say the same thing: Justine's got the nicest game, Kim's got the nicest personality. How many Flemish flags do you see when Kim is playing? How many Belgian flags do you see? That should make it pretty clear that it's just the media making the disctinction, not the people.
indeed....
"Justine the nicest game, Kim nicest personality" The opinion of most (Flemish)people I know.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Such an injustice :mad:

minboy
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Come on, i'm not talking about regular tennis fans, i'm talking about average peole watched 3 tennis matches over the last year : RG, us open and anstralian open final. Those choose one or another because she 's the one people are talking about in the news, she's the one they ( the media ) described as " nice", she's the one they ( the media ) described as a " warrior" , .... there's always a lot of theads in justine's official site's forum with flemish posters complaining that their "compatriot" only like kim because she's " die van bij ons" and stuff. You guys haven't got a clue how people can get fooled by the media

Cookie
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:20 PM

You should read all the nice things the readers say about Justine in 'Het belang van Limburg'; it keeps coming back - she's the 'walloon' as if it's another country:(

gentenaire
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:22 PM
I'm talking about exactly those people, Minboy.

The people in the Justine Henin forum can hardly be called neutral, now can they?

gentenaire
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM
You should read all the nice things the readers say about Justine in 'Het belang van Limburg'; it keeps coming back - she's the 'walloon' as if it's another country:(

You can hardly call the people from Bree and wider region the neutral Flemings.

Allez-H
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Well,I'm ok with the fact that Kim won.It's pretty much the only throphy Justine didn't won last year.But it is quite unfair that they only covered it in Flanders.I mean most of the Walloons didn't even know that this throphy exsisted.PLus the way they started the show was patethic they anoounced Kim as the first Belgian to have become the world #1,that she won the Masters and two GS-doubles titles.And then they announced Justine as the current world #1,and that's it :rolleyes:Why didn't they say that she won 2 GS's or that she became the first Belgian GS-winner?Plus they showed films about each sports(wo)man,they showed the victory of Kim at the Masters AND an interview with KIm.And for Justine they showed the clinic she gave in Brussels,which we mostly allready saw in the journals.Why didn't they show that amazing match against Jen at the USO(they showed very little bits of her with USO-throphy),why didn't they show her with the RG-throphy or dedicating the title to her mother?Cuz that's also caracter and personality.Again I'm happy with the fact that Kim won but I did have my doubts about the way the show was organised.I was very happy though that Justine came in second.It showed that there are still allot of Flemish people that respect what she did.A big differnce with the last two years when she didn't even made the last 5 :rolleyes:

Come-on-kim
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:00 PM
:rolleyes: I am walloon and I voted for the contest and I didn't see the show on tv :D

minboy
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Come - on-kim, if it wasn't for this board, you wouldn't know there was such a ceremony.
And begguine, stop fooling yourself : You know what i'm talkin about, but you can't agree with me ( and some others ) just because you think it would "taint" kim's victory. Well, i 've got some news for you : kim's victory is not tainted by the fact that it was a flemish award, it just explained it a little bit.
btw : why would you, a kim fan, be more neutral than posters on justine's site?

Maajken
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:36 PM
justine won "sportswoman of the year", an award voted by the whole of belgium (if i'm not mistaken). as far as i know there are still more people living in flanders than in wallonia, so justine would have never won this if flanders didn't support or appreciate her.

why is it so hard to accept that most people who voted think kim has the best personality? besides it's not like justine didn't get any votes, she did end second.

minboy
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:21 AM
"sportswoman of the year" is an award where only journalists vote, not the whole belgium.

And, no, it is not hard to accept that kim won "because she has the personnality", we just tried to explain to some people ( among whom tennisfannn who asked first ) why Justine didn't get it. Got it?

~|Naomi|~
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:44 AM
why is it so hard to accept that most people who voted think kim has the best personality? besides it's not like justine didn't get any votes, she did end second.
Because they hate Jhh losing to Kim it gets under their skin.

And, no, it is not hard to accept that kim won "because she has the personnality", we just tried to explain to some people ( among whom tennisfannn who asked first ) why Justine didn't get it. Got it?

Yes but I answered Tennisfann's questions by simply saying results do not equate to personality. You all then jumped into her not winning cause it was a 'flemish vote' which is rubbish. A better question is why can't JHH fans credit Kim for winning one trophy rather than begrudging her? Oh yes already answered that in this post!

Maajken
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:49 AM
"sportswoman of the year" is an award where only journalists vote, not the whole belgium.

And, no, it is not hard to accept that kim won "because she has the personnality", we just tried to explain to some people ( among whom tennisfannn who asked first ) why Justine didn't get it. Got it?i doubt justine would have won if the entire world for that matter would have voted. kim didnt just win cause she's flemish (you obviously have no idea how many justine fans there are in flanders), she won because, for the 20th time, people appreciate her personality more than justine's. and considering all that happened last year, who can blame them?

tennnisfannn
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys for tryiing to answer my question. I didn't mean to cause a war between the Flemish and the Waloon. As an Aussie i means very little to me, the difference i.e I have utmost respect for Kim, and wouldn't begrudge her the trophy, but i also feel the ' Sports personality award' isn't very clearly defined. Sport almost by definition includes competiton from which emerge winners and losers. What Justine has done to get to be the holder of three GS demonstrates alot about her as a person and an athlete.

justine&coria
Feb 16th, 2004, 09:10 AM
i doubt justine would have won if the entire world for that matter would have voted. kim didnt just win cause she's flemish (you obviously have no idea how many justine fans there are in flanders), she won because, for the 20th time, people appreciate her personality more than justine's. and considering all that happened last year, who can blame them?
How can you know what would've happened if the vote took place in the entire world or even in Belgium ?
And don't tell me that the fact that Kim is Flemish didn't help her win at all !
It's funny how you believe you have an objective/universal point of view. Are you God ? :confused:

Maajken
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
How can you know what would've happened if the vote took place in the entire world or even in Belgium ?
And don't tell me that the fact that Kim is Flemish didn't help her win at all !
It's funny how you believe you have an objective/universal point of view. Are you God ? :confused:i dont know. i dont claim to have a "universal" point of view either lol. it's called having an opinion. ever heard of that?

the one thing we do know, is that kim won. there. now get over it.

btw yes. you got me. i am god :p

Rub
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:30 PM
congrats to kim!!! :dance: