PDA

View Full Version : Is it realistic to expect Serena and Venus to return in Miami?

S-O-S
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:23 PM
i dont really see Serena playing Dubai, and Venus already pulled out.

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I hope they come back but if they are injured then they should wait!!!

pigam
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:34 PM
The longer they have to stay sidelined the more difficult it will get, I think.
Still thinking about what Richard Williams said a few moths ago. Venus and Serena should stay away for a couple of years, and than come back to win everything again! Is this what Serena is doing for the moment? Staying away 'on purpose'. :confused:

for-sure
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:35 PM
trust me, she is NOT staying away on purpose. She had a winning formula...This was their chance to win the 'golden slam'

AjdeNate!
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:36 PM
The longer you're (meaning any player) out the harder to come back, I would imagine.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:47 PM
all i know is that by that time i really hope they are both back on the court with there wonderful winning attitudes and games :worship:

beauty_is_pink
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:16 PM
sure... why not?

Nabalonge
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:31 PM
The longer they stay away, it does add a harder edge to come back, however I would rather them come back when it is really right for them to come back and not be rushed. Rushing back for other's expectations rather then their own bodies isn't the right thing to do. I'll welcome Venus and Serena whenever they come back.

GoDominique
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Well, who knows ???

It's an unfortunate situation. I don't have any doubt regarding Venus' injury (she looked committed to the game at AO and devastated when she lost), but I have some problems with Serena's withdrawals or at least her statements. I just don't believe she's "daily on the court practising and fully fit" like she says. It MIGHT be true of course. But then why isn't she playing tournaments already ? Either she's not willing to travel outside the US for just one tournament, or she just isn't really interested in tennis right now, which is what I tend to believe. Again, I might be terribly wrong.

Either way, it's a disaster for the game that both are out for such a long time while most people still see them as the top-contenders, which in one case might not be the reality.

starr
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:45 PM
If Venus and Serena aren't playing in Miami, where will they play? I think Venus has an injury right now, but she should be healed by late March.

Serena :rolleyes: Who knows what is going on with her. But I expect that whenever she chooses to return, she'll be back blazing away.

lizchris
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:09 PM
I still think they should play Indain Wells and at this point, if Venus wants to stay in the top 20, she may want to consider it.

starr
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Where are her big point totals? Antwerp comes off. Then she went out early in Maimi. Pulled out in Warsaw.... anything else before RG?

But really what difference does her ranking make so long as the WTA gives her a protected seeding?

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I canīt believe that they wonīt be back by Miami....thatīs their home tournament. If they canīt bother to play that tournament, then....

kerbear
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:34 PM
I really expect Serena at least to be at Miami. She's defending a big title there and its at home. Not only do I expect that she'll be there, I hope she will.

Time will tell. I'm still suprised that Venus pulled out of Antwerp. It must mean that injurys pretty bad and I don't expect her back until close to RG.

for-sure
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Maybe Serena just re-injured herself trying to come back. Therefore, it's not all about the knee.

Alan
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:43 PM
I'm not a FAN, but I want them BACK! :)

S-O-S
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I really expect Serena at least to be at Miami. She's defending a big title there and its at home. Not only do I expect that she'll be there, I hope she will.

Time will tell. I'm still suprised that Venus pulled out of Antwerp. It must mean that injurys pretty bad and I don't expect her back until close to RG.
close to RG!? that is a long time, i'm hoping though she is back in Berlin now that she does not mind playing Tier I anymore, but Serena is really not coming out yet, i mean, if she is skipping Key Biscayne, what else is she going to play exactly:(
i mean, do they not mind Kim getting a cakewalk draw to the title in Miami!?

lizchris
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:01 AM
i dont really see Serena playing Dubai, and Venus already pulled out.
Where did you get the information that Venus pulled out of Dubai?

S-O-S
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:05 AM
meant to say Venus pulling out of Antwerp

lizchris
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:10 AM
meant to say Venus pulling out of Antwerp
Oh, OK because Serena is scheduled to play in Doha which starts March 1. Venus is still scheduled to playn in Dubai though I doubt she will.

starr
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Do you expect Serena to show up in Doha?

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:37 AM
I expect them to both play Miami.

Couver
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Who knows?? I'm thinking Venus' new injury isn't as searious as her other one, but we don't know how long she's been advised to recover.

And I have no clue what is going on with Serena.

So I'm hoping they are healthy and back in Miami, but if they are not fit then I don't want them back until they are totally healed.

lizchris
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Do you expect Serena to show up in Doha?
I really expect them to be in Maimi, but I would not be shocked if they played Indian Wells.

Knowles
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I really doubt either one of them would even contemplate playing Indian Wells again. I really do hope, however, that they both return soon and at the top of their games.

fammmmedspin
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Oh, OK because Serena is scheduled to play in Doha which starts March 1. Venus is still scheduled to playn in Dubai though I doubt she will.
There are reports of vast incentives to play in the Gulf - if they were really big it might be worth turning up even if you catch the next flight home? Though come to think of it, didn't Venus withdraw from a gulf tourament last year suggesting the rewards are not that attractive?

starr
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM
I really expect them to be in Maimi, but I would not be shocked if they played Indian Wells.
I would be extremely shocked.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:55 AM
I would be extremely shocked.

As would I.

#1 Lindsay
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:02 AM
it is realistic but i dont see it it happening at leasy not both of them together