PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Amélie will win a Slam eventually?

Mariangelina
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I certainly hope she will :inlove:, but I was curious to see what you guys thought.

When she emerged about 5 years ago and got into the top 10 in just a couple months despite all the attention directed at her coming out :worship: I'm sure a Slam seemed like a certainty for her. But then she kept injuring herself through 99-00, looked a little out of shape in some old pics I've seen (even in some early 2001 pics she looked about 20 pounds heavier than now) and it sounds like her then-girlfriend was a jerk who had a knack for getting into the middle of everything. And I'm sure fielding all those stupid things said about her in the media with grace was a distraction. I know I couldn't have done it!

And then she played really well in early 2001 but had that awful mental lapse at RG. By the time she recovered from that and made SF at Wimbledon and US Open (her SF against Venus was one of the most thrilling matches i've ever seen :inlove: ) she hurt her knee and then was hurt though most of 2003, choked at Rg, then started playing really well again (but still didn't show up at the YEC final) At the Australian this year she was playing terrific and then hurt herself :crying2: :sad: It really seemed like a great chance for her :sobbing:

24 is tennis middle age. Though Amélie has a bit of a choker rep and has certainly had her mental lapses, it does seem like she gets injured every time she's playing well :sad: I wonder what causes all those injuries. I'm sure it doesn't help her consistency- gets thrown off every time she gets into a rhythm. Do you think there's still time for her to get a major title? I hope so.

Allez Amélie!

alextreiber04
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:20 PM
No. If she can't deal with playing at home, because Roland Garros is only the slightest thing she has a shot at.

LindsayRulez
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I'll have to say no - everyone says she has so much variety, but the fact is she has no more variety than any of the other top players, most of which are stronger, faster, or more mentally stable than she is. With that combination, she will need a very lucky draw to ever win a slam.

S-O-S
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:19 PM
i say never say never, Jana won hers at 29, what's stopping Amelie,
but the keyword here is "improving", that's what she has to do to keep up
with the Williams sisters and the growing Belgians.

tennnisfannn
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:14 AM
No. If she can't deal with playing at home, because Roland Garros is only the slightest thing she has a shot at.Don't agree, Amelie is competitive on every surface.

starr
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:20 AM
How old was Novotna when she won Wimbledon?

My bet was that she wouldn't win a slam, but with the Williams Sisters no-shows, she's got a better opportunity.

Mariangelina
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:22 AM
She does need to learn how to play at home- no doubt about that. But Mary broke through :worship: and I'm an optimist. I think if the injuries stop she has a chance. But sadly, that's a big if. SOS is right, but it's hard to improve when you're injured half the time. She can be competitive on every surface, which is good, and she's had patches of playing well enough to win one- but they never seem to come at the right time.

But if Jana Novotna can get a Slam in the end, there's hope for Amélie, IMO. :hearts:

vettipooh
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:35 AM
In big instances,Amelie chokes. Seen it against Venus, Serena, Justine and Kim,especially at 03 year end Champs. She just folded to Kim. She's never going to win a slam this way.She loses her killer instinct when it counts most.

tennisIlove09
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:39 AM
No. Unless Paris is Venus, Serena, Capriati, Davenport-less.

Harju.
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Yes, she will get one eventually.. IF she's injury-free and metally stabler..

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:09 AM
She's not going to the favourite in any really big event. There have been too many let-downs, such as the 2001 RG debacle and the YEC final last year. But she can beat any player on a given day, and can sneak efficiently through a draw. She always has to be one of the players with a realistic chance in any tournament, including a slam event.

If she won just one, it'd get the monkey off her back and she'd win more, but I agree that time is running out for her. Still, I'll keep the faith.

Greenout
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Off course. She's got the physical ability and game for it; it's the mental
and emotional side that needs work. Has the same chance to win
a grand slam as Kim.

When Amelie finally does win a grand slam. Boy, there won't be
a dry eye on center court. :)

shap_half
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:14 AM
I think she has the talent to do so but talent isn't enough.

Greenout
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:17 AM
I think she has the talent to do so but talent isn't enough.

She's beyond just talented. Has the ablity to take out Justine and Kim.
It's all mental. Besides..I think the days of getting by without
a an all court game may be over. How many players on tour really
have what it takes nowadays? Isn't it just Kim and Amelie now
to be first time grand slam winners?

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I don't like her very much but I hope she does. And Dokic Clijsters Hantu Dementieva could use one as well. It would mean the tour had grown into something resembling serious competition, instead of Graf ERA, Hingis ERA, SErena ERA JHH ERA... :armed:

Rtael
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:23 AM
I think it's possible, even likely that she will win one eventually. More likely than Kim in my opinion. Her best chance, I think, is a Williams-less USOpen. I don't see her beating either of the Belgians consistenly (Justine at all) at any of the other majors and with the Sisters history of injury, I'm sure she will have a couple chanes at the USO without the Williams in the draw!

Knowles
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:24 AM
I personally don't believe Amelie will ever win a slam, but stranger things have happened. It's not that she isn't a good player but there are just a few better than her so if they're always in the field, than I believe her chances are shot.

Rtael
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Also, Davenport/Capriati are no competition for a healthy Mauresmo.

Greenout
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:32 AM
I think it's possible, even likely that she will win one eventually. More likely than Kim in my opinion. Her best chance, I think, is a Williams-less USOpen. I don't see her beating either of the Belgians consistenly (Justine at all) at any of the other majors and with the Sisters history of injury, I'm sure she will have a couple chanes at the USO without the Williams in the draw!

I'm a NRR-DEN supporter and let me tell you she can beat Justine
at a grand slam. Beat her already at the WTA Championships.
Anyway, let me tell you why i do believe she could do it at
a grand slam against Justine. If you seen their matches, you'll
notice an odd occurence of sorts. Justine at times can't read
Amelie's shots. I've seen her go bolting in the wrong direction
for returns against her, which is a rarity. I've also seen mistimed
shots from Justine off Amelie's returns too. They produce really
great tennis when playing against each other.

Kim has problems with Amelie too. It's just an odd DF or weird
UE that decides their matches.

The outcome of Amelie vs Kim or Justine isn't written in stone.