PDA

View Full Version : What is the best come back in the history?

Joachim
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Capriati's come back!

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Halard-Decugis and Rubin's recovery from injuries also needs to be mentioned.

Greenout
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I think Jenn's comeback was incredible. If you look at sports in
general her comeback was quite astonishing. Gotta mention
Lance Armstrong too... I only follow certain sports so, I guess
my choices of BEST COMEBACK might not be valid. Can't
name anything from Basketball, baseball, hockey nor American
Football.

Stefwhit
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Twelve years after winning her first Grand Slam and 20 grandslam wins latter, at the age of 29, Steffi made one of the greatest comebacks in history- just like the days of yesteryear. What makes her comeback so special and unique is that her comeback was also her goodbye. Considering all that she went through and all these years that had passed by- she was surely not at her peak anymore, her winning (in 99) at the French and making the finals of Wimby was truly remarkable and speaks volumes at the kind of competitor she really was. Since she had lost her #1 ranking to Hingis she slipped out of the top 50 in the rankings and before it was said and done managed to bring it back up to #3 in the world. Steffi suffered through severe sinus problems, allergies, knee surgery, hamstring injuries, wrist problems, ankle problems- bone spurts, leg problems and chronic back problems. Through it all she managed to put together one hell of a final year at the slams beating the worlds #1, #2, and #3 players en route to winning her 6th French Open. People have asked the question how many slams would Steffi have won if Seles never left the game, but I think a better question would be how many slams would Steffi have won if she was never plagued by injury.

(honorable mention to Seles in her coming back and winning Oz after the stabbing, ditto that for JCap- coming back to better than she was before!!)

hingis-seles
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Monica Seles came back to the sport after an assasination attempt. Nothing tops that. I think it's sickening to even compare certain comebacks to it.

Andy T
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:41 AM
I can think of five in the last 50 years (singles only) that deserve consideration:

1) Capriati - overcame all kinds of personal problems and the self-abuse they provoked to win three grand slam singles titles.

2) Seles - overcame a highly traumatic physical and emotional assault which required great strength to overcome as it was directly linked to tennis to win a grand slam title, and reach three other grand slam finals.

3) Evonne Goolagong - returned after pregnancy twice. The first return, aged 26, saw her win two more grand slam singles titles and reestablish herself in the top 3, the second, aged 30, saw her return to the top 20.

4) Margaret Smith-Court - returned from "retirement" once in 1968, aged 25, to win 7 Grand Slam singles titles, including THE grand Slam, then from maternity in 1972, aged 30, to win 3 majors in 1973, then from maternity again in 1974/5 to reestablish herself in the world's top 10, aged 33.

5) BJK, returned from retirement in 1976, aged 33, to beat Goolagong in the Fed Cup final and went on to return to the top 4.

5 Less successful comebacks:

1) Maria Bueno in 1974, aged 35, after 5 years off the circuit. Won her only pro' title (Japan Open) but failed to get back into the top 20. She did have a great comeback in 63/4 after having been off the tour for a year with hepatitis 61-2, though.

2) Tracy Austin in 89 - comeback halted because of a motor accident. Tried again in 93/94 but never cracked the top 50.

3) Regina Marsikova - came back in the mid-80s having been banned by the Czech Federation from competing on the circuit following a conviction for a car accident. Never made it back to the top 50.

4) Karen Hantze Susman. Wimbledon Champ. 1962 Retired afterwards Married in 1963 & had a baby. Returned in 64 but never won another major singles title. Retired again in 65 and came back in the 70s. made it back to the top 100.

5) Venus Williams 2003 (so far). Wait for it....

Stefwhit
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hingis-Seles- It's not sick to compare her comeback to that of others, it's sick what happened to her- no doubt, but don't get it all twisted.... Her comeback is probably one of the greatest and if she would have really worked harder physically she could have even done better than she did and it would probably be "The" greatest comeback of all time... It's totally ok to compare her comeback to that of others...

moby
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Hingis-Seles- It's not sick to compare her comeback to that of others, it's sick what happened to her- no doubt, but don't get it all twisted.... Her comeback is probably one of the greatest and if she would have really worked harder physically she could have even done better than she did and it would probably be "The" greatest comeback of all time... It's totally ok to compare her comeback to that of others...
imo, it's still the greatest comeback of all time :)

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I think Selesīs the best too....how can coming-back from a near death experience NOT be the best comeback?!

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:06 PM
^Yeah, true.

irma
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Monica Seles came back to the sport after an assasination attempt. Nothing tops that. I think it's sickening to even compare certain comebacks to it.
this says it all

and the most important thing
she won a slam in her 4th tournament. not after being back already for 5 years and then tought let's work a little :o

moby
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:30 PM
she might even have won a slam in her 2nd tournament if not for a lousy line judge ;)

Stefwhit
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Moby- that ball was clearly out, Seles doesn't need to cheat to win....she lost fair and square that day... U just saw the ball with ur heart and not ur eyes...lol.

flyingmachine
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:36 PM
The best come back in tennis history.
Jennifer Capriati
no doubts ;)

magassi
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM
In terms of a sports achievement, I'd have to go with Capriati (because she came back with no ranking, fell to 200+ in the world, even lost in qualifying a few times, not to mention that every sports writer called for her retirement). In terms of a personal achievement: hands down Monica Seles (but we must remember she came back with a ranking of co-#1, which was justified, but also gave her entry to every tourney and sweetend her draws). I also think Steffi's was very impressive...

irma
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM
she could still have won the set and she didn't, but that's not the point.
this is about a player who didn't play for 2,5 years, came back and was succesfull right away and a player who had been back on tour for 5 years again and then got succes. which many players did (in that case we can include Justine too. she overcame a lot)

and then I am not even talking about the circumstances of both players. which is a huge shame to even compare it :o

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
In terms of a sports achievement, I'd have to go with Capriati (because she came back with no ranking, fell to 200+ in the world, even lost in qualifying a few times, not to mention that every sports writer called for her retirement). In terms of a personal achievement: hands down Monica Seles (but we must remember she came back with a ranking of co-#1, which was justified, but also gave her entry to every tourney and sweetend her draws). I also think Steffi's was very impressive...

Jenīs fall was her own fault...no matter what the circumstances were. Monicaīs wasnīt.

magassi
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM
True, but we have to factor in what they accomplished after returning to the game -- not just the fact that they returned or what derailed them. One can even argue that Jennifer was an abused child (I don't think she chose to play tennis at the age of 5 and become the sole provider for her family). Also, Capriati won her grandslams after everyone counted her out and at a time when women's tennis was most competitive. Nobody was asking Monica to retire or forcing her to play qualies...

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:55 PM
True, but we have to factor in what they accomplished after returning to the game -- not just the fact that they returned or what derailed them. One can even argue that Jennifer was an abused child (I don't think she chose to play tennis at the age of 5 and become the sole provider for her family). Also, Capriati won her grandslams after everyone counted her out and at a time when women's tennis was most competitive. Nobody was asking Monica to retire or forcing her to play qualies...

I donīt know whatīs worse: A never-was who became( Jen) or a could-be who didnīt become anymore( Seles)?!

I think exit B is more sad....

-Ph51-
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM
The great MARGARET COURT.

Kart
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Monica obviously. Just her stepping on the exhibition court against Martina N was enough to win it for me.

Or maybe Mary Joe at the French 1993 QF :mad:.

:kiss: Hingis-Seles and irma :hearts:.

JenCap's 'comeback' was a very different kind of story, she had never reached the heights of no.1 etc before 2001, I never really think of it as a comeback as just late bloomer. At any rate it's still worth a :bigclap: my choosing Monica over her is not a dismissal of her achievements.

Kart
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Also those who came back after having kids deserve :worship: as well.

AaronJoyB
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Monica

STEFFI

Jennifer

Andre A

alextreiber04
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM
What about Serena?

She really hurt her foot at Sydney in 2002, and all of a sudden came back and started to win all these titles and Slams.

anabel
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Seles'

Leo_DFP
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Monica Seles takes the cake. Yes, Capriati's was also great, but her original setback was self-inflicted.

NicoMary
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Seles:worship: , Capriati, Pierce:hearts: (she's been 295 in the world)

To come Kournikova :sad: and V Williams:sad:

JulieC
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Jennifer Capriati, Monica Seles and Richard Krajicek

skanky~skanketta
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM
What about Serena?

She really hurt her foot at Sydney in 2002, and all of a sudden came back and started to win all these titles and Slams.

but it wasnt a life or career threatening injury. when she does the same this year, it will be a great comeback!

anyway, i still believe that monica's comeback was the best. THE BEST!she was stabbed, lived in fear and yet she made it back.

hollywood7172
Feb 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I donīt know whatīs worse: A never-was who became( Jen) or a could-be who didnīt become anymore( Seles)?!

I think exit B is more sad....
jen a "never-was" before her comeback?? are you on drugs or born in 1999?? semi's of almost all the slams by age 15, an olympic gold medal, and top 5 ranking is a never-was?? :rolleyes: :lol: :confused: :rolleyes: :worship:

raquel
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Monica Seles takes the cake. Yes, Capriati's was also great, but her original setback was self-inflicted.
Monica's comeback was the greatest I agree. Capriati original setback self inflicted? I don't totally agree with that. She was worked very hard by her father who made her play a huge amount of exhibtions at 14, 15, 16 and she had to grow up in a media frenzy. I am not surprised she rebelled and wanted a more normal teenage life and to get away from tennis. The stealing and the drugs was just a way to rebel I think. I admire her a lot for getting it back together and putting the work in to become a champion after everyone had her written of as an example of burn out, which she still is I suppose.

MisterQ
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:24 PM
I believe Capriati's was the greatest because she was actually BETTER and far more successful after the comeback than before. The same can be said about Andre Agassi.

Monica and Steffi both had great comebacks, but their greatest successes remained earlier in their careers.

*JR*
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:43 PM
What about the Rather Recent Return of a certain Big, Blonde le, le....... lefthander? :worship:

Andy T
Feb 14th, 2004, 08:36 PM
In the men's game there are three in the last 10 years that stand out for me: Krajicek, Agassi and Ivanisevic.

Serena in Sydney 2002? NO way. She was back on the tour 7 weeks later to win in Scottsdale. That's a short injury break, not a complete hiatus in her career. If she can make it back this time, after 9 months out, that counts, though.

raquel
Feb 14th, 2004, 08:54 PM
In the men's game there are three in the last 10 years that stand out for me: Krajicek, Agassi and Ivanisevic.

I would also include Thomas Muster's comeback, which was about 10/12 years ago? He showed real grit in coming back after being run over by a drunk driver and was playing again after less than a year. I am sure he was in a wheelchair for a lot of the time as well.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 14th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Jennifer and Monica!!! :kiss: :hearts:

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:02 PM
For Sure the Greatest Come Back in History by The Greatest Player Jennifer Capriati!!!!!!!!!!!!

irma
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:11 PM

Serena in Sydney 2002? NO way. She was back on the tour 7 weeks later to win in Scottsdale. That's a short injury break, not a complete hiatus in her career. If she can make it back this time, after 9 months out, that counts, though.didn't you say before that winning a slam after being out for so many months is nothing special?

darren cahill
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I would also include Thomas Muster's comeback, which was about 10/12 years ago? He showed real grit in coming back after being run over by a drunk driver and was playing again after less than a year. I am sure he was in a wheelchair for a lot of the time as well.
You are right...he was in a wheel chair for sometime and would even practise from the chair. he was in some magazine back then...maybe TENNIS or Sports illustrated and it had photos of him playing tennis from the wheel chair...i cant remember how long between the accident and him winning the french open though? wasnt it relatively close?

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Capriati's come back!Agree

hingis-seles
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I think it's terrible to even compare Monica's comeback to Jennifer's. I mean, Monica was a teenage superstar, on her way to becoming the greatest of all time, when a nutjob attempted to kill her for being the best at what she did. She survived it all and came back with a respectable form of her former self. Jennifer was also a teenage superstar, who was on the verge of breaking through, yet she couldn't handle the pressure and eventually cracked. She dropped out, started shoplifting and smoking up. She came back and for nearly five years did zilch before achieving her success at the very highest level.

Good for both of them that they came back. But what did they come back from? One returned from an asassination attempt while another returned from shoplifting and smoking pot. You be the jury. I feel, it greatly trivializes Monica's truly awe-inspiring comeback to even compare it with Jennifer's.

Kart :hearts: :kiss:

Leo_DFP
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Monica's comeback was the greatest I agree. Capriati original setback self inflicted? I don't totally agree with that. She was worked very hard by her father who made her play a huge amount of exhibtions at 14, 15, 16 and she had to grow up in a media frenzy. I am not surprised she rebelled and wanted a more normal teenage life and to get away from tennis. The stealing and the drugs was just a way to rebel I think. I admire her a lot for getting it back together and putting the work in to become a champion after everyone had her written of as an example of burn out, which she still is I suppose.
In the end, it was her own decision to do drugs. Yes, her father was hard on her and, yes, she did have tons of pressure on her young shoulders. But no one forced her into doing that; she had a mind of her own.

hingis-seles
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
You are right...he was in a wheel chair for sometime and would even practise from the chair. he was in some magazine back then...maybe TENNIS or Sports illustrated and it had photos of him playing tennis from the wheel chair...i cant remember how long between the accident and him winning the french open though? wasnt it relatively close?
Muster got hit in 1989 and won Roland Garros in 1995.

Leo_DFP
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Muster got hit in 1989 and won Roland Garros in 1995.
So? How many people can say that they survive an accident of that magnitude and return to the highest level of a professional sport? Muster's comeback was one of the greatest.

MAURO
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:07 PM
jenny of course

Crazy_Fool
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:39 PM
I think it's terrible to even compare Monica's comeback to Jennifer's. I mean, Monica was a teenage superstar, on her way to becoming the greatest of all time, when a nutjob attempted to kill her for being the best at what she did. She survived it all and came back with a respectable form of her former self. Jennifer was also a teenage superstar, who was on the verge of breaking through, yet she couldn't handle the pressure and eventually cracked. She dropped out, started shoplifting and smoking up. She came back and for nearly five years did zilch before achieving her success at the very highest level.

Good for both of them that they came back. But what did they come back from? One returned from an asassination attempt while another returned from shoplifting and smoking pot. You be the jury. I feel, it greatly trivializes Monica's truly awe-inspiring comeback to even compare it with Jennifer's.

Exactly hingis-seles. There are far more successful stories in tennis than Capriati's. Yeh she did well to come back but she got herself into the mess. Someone tried to kill Seles for god sake, that is far more than anything Jennifer came back from.

MisterQ
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I can think of five in the last 50 years (singles only) that deserve consideration:

1) Capriati - overcame all kinds of personal problems and the self-abuse they provoked to win three grand slam singles titles.

2) Seles - overcame a highly traumatic physical and emotional assault which required great strength to overcome as it was directly linked to tennis to win a grand slam title, and reach three other grand slam finals.

3) Evonne Goolagong - returned after pregnancy twice. The first return, aged 26, saw her win two more grand slam singles titles and reestablish herself in the top 3, the second, aged 30, saw her return to the top 20.

4) Margaret Smith-Court - returned from "retirement" once in 1968, aged 25, to win 7 Grand Slam singles titles, including THE grand Slam, then from maternity in 1972, aged 30, to win 3 majors in 1973, then from maternity again in 1974/5 to reestablish herself in the world's top 10, aged 33.

5) BJK, returned from retirement in 1976, aged 33, to beat Goolagong in the Fed Cup final and went on to return to the top 4.

5 Less successful comebacks:

1) Maria Bueno in 1974, aged 35, after 5 years off the circuit. Won her only pro' title (Japan Open) but failed to get back into the top 20. She did have a great comeback in 63/4 after having been off the tour for a year with hepatitis 61-2, though.

2) Tracy Austin in 89 - comeback halted because of a motor accident. Tried again in 93/94 but never cracked the top 50.

3) Regina Marsikova - came back in the mid-80s having been banned by the Czech Federation from competing on the circuit following a conviction for a car accident. Never made it back to the top 50.

4) Karen Hantze Susman. Wimbledon Champ. 1962 Retired afterwards Married in 1963 & had a baby. Returned in 64 but never won another major singles title. Retired again in 65 and came back in the 70s. made it back to the top 100.

5) Venus Williams 2003 (so far). Wait for it....

I was about to add Goolagong and Courts comebacks, but I see you have already done that. And you put all of those in the precise order I would! So you have saved me some work. thanks :clap2: :)

DA FOREHAND
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:56 PM
I think Selesīs the best too....how can coming-back from a near death experience NOT be the best comeback?!
aren't we dramatic

Andy T
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM
didn't you say before that winning a slam after being out for so many months is nothing special?

I don't think I wrote anything of that sort, Irma. Where do you think I wrote it?

MisterQ
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM

I think some of us are concentrating on the cause of the intial fall more than others. I put Capriati first in my previous post because her career after the comeback was even better than it was before. I wouldn't say the same about Seles.

I certainly agree about the tragic nature of Seles' reason to leave, and that it was graver than Capriati's.

However, once the two players were out of the game, one could argue that Seles, with 8 GS singles titles, the No. 1 ranking, and the number one ranking, could have retired without feeling that her career was a waste. And she also knew that her reason for leaving was not her fault in the least, and that circumstances had been very unlucky for her.

Compare this to Capriati. What kinds of self-doubt, shame, and guilt must she have grappled with knowing that she herself had caused much of her downfall? How did she get the strength to trust her talent and believe that she could win a grand slam, when even in her younger years she had been unable to? In a way it was much more surprising that Capriati attempted to give it another go. I think a very large number of people had written her off (and understandably so).

I say all of this in a pro-Monica tone (she's my favorite btw). :)

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:00 AM
jen a "never-was" before her comeback?? are you on drugs or born in 1999?? semi's of almost all the slams by age 15, an olympic gold medal, and top 5 ranking is a never-was?? :rolleyes: :lol: :confused: :rolleyes: :worship:

Is that better than 8 GSīs at age, what 18 or 19?!

DA FOREHAND
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Thomas Muster...coming back from getting hit by a car

Jenn brought it all on herself...nice comeback great...nah

Seles comeback was impressive too

darren cahill
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:19 AM
I think some of us are concentrating on the cause of the intial fall more than others. I put Capriati first in my previous post because her career after the comeback was even better than it was before. I wouldn't say the same about Seles.

I certainly agree about the tragic nature of Seles' reason to leave, and that it was graver than Capriati's.

However, once the two players were out of the game, one could argue that Seles, with 8 GS singles titles, the No. 1 ranking, and the number one ranking, could have retired without feeling that her career was a waste. And she also knew that her reason for leaving was not her fault in the least, and that circumstances had been very unlucky for her.

Compare this to Capriati. What kinds of self-doubt, shame, and guilt must she have grappled with knowing that she herself had caused much of her downfall? How did she get the strength to trust her talent and believe that she could win a grand slam, when even in her younger years she had been unable to? In a way it was much more surprising that Capriati attempted to give it another go. I think a very large number of people had written her off (and understandably so).

I say all of this in a pro-Monica tone (she's my favorite btw). :)
i like this post...i agree..what difference does it make how the person left the game? a comeback is a comeback....we shouldnt say 'well this person left on their own free will so thats not the same'

That jennifer left the game on one level and came back to better her resume is outstanding...same with Muster, he did stuff that he didnt do prior to the accident...Seles on the other hand was already an all time great, her comeback was more a personal triumph than a career comeback, she was already a legend. (and this pains me to say cause shes my least fave player but a facts a fact)

irma
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:23 AM
I don't think I wrote anything of that sort, Irma. Where do you think I wrote it?
not in this thread, but you wrote french 99 was nothing special because "so many people did it" in another thread. when I said french 99 was seen in a different light because of the fact that steffi was unranked 12 months before and during those 12 months she underwent another surgery.

bigshow21
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Capriati's come back!

For Sure the Greatest Come Back in History by The Greatest Player Jennifer Capriati!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough said!!!!

hingis-seles
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:38 AM
So? How many people can say that they survive an accident of that magnitude and return to the highest level of a professional sport? Muster's comeback was one of the greatest.
I was just informing darren_cahill who wanted to know when Muster got hit and when he won Roland Garros. I wasn't putting Muster down. I think it's phenomenal that he came back and achieved the great things he did.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I don't think that Jenn's problems being "self inflicted" lessens the significance her comeback, in any way. I certainly don't put it on the same level of Seles', but that is because the circumstances were SO different that such comparison would be of little use.

It's very easy to say that Jenn's problems were her own and brush off her comeback as "nothing special". But imo, fighting yourself and winning is one of the greatest achievements at all. It's not easy to look your demons in the eye and say "hey, you know what? Get the fuck out of my way"

The significance of what Monica came back from goes without saying.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Thomas Muster...coming back from getting hit by a car

Jenn brought it all on herself...nice comeback great...nah

Seles comeback was impressive too
See, I take issue with the "Jennifer brought it all on herself". Jennifer's problems were more than likely a result of her environment, which was far from optimal for a young girl. She had no control over that, at the time. No, not everybody would have reacted to the situation as Jennifer did. Some would have not had such a drawn out "dark period" as she did, while others simply would have never made it back at all.

That, and as I was getting at before - we all fuck up. Not everybody is strong enough to say "yeah, I fucked up. Now it's time to learn from that and get better".

Andy T
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:12 AM
not in this thread, but you wrote french 99 was nothing special because "so many people did it" in another thread. when I said french 99 was seen in a different light because of the fact that steffi was unranked 12 months before and during those 12 months she underwent another surgery.

I've tried to find the post to see exactly what was being discussed but I can't, Irma, so I can't say much. Are you sure we weren't talking about winning a slam at 29? I'll keep looking, anyway.

Dymension
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Monica, easily. It's so sad what happened to her in Hamburg. :sad: :crying2: :bigcry:

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Enough said!!!!
With much respect To The fierce competitor that Jen is: re. her being "....The Greatest Player" what RU and RedFila um, er, smoking? :o

Grice
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Monica's comeback of course. An innocent young gigglish girl getting stabbed in the middle of a match... imagine the nightmare and horror... and she was on the way to her peak of her career... the plunge of the knife into her back also sent her morale and career plunging down.

Just stepping back onto the tennis court makes this the greatest comeback ever... :bounce: *salutes*

irma
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:42 AM
I've tried to find the post to see exactly what was being discussed but I can't, Irma, so I can't say much. Are you sure we weren't talking about winning a slam at 29? I'll keep looking, anyway.
no because it started after I made an homage to steffi's comeback not the fact that she was 29;)
It's not a big deal of course!

I guess the reason why Steffi's comeback isn't seen as one is because she retired two months later anyway!

btw about Cappy. sorry but her environment might have been bad and she might have had a bad daddy and pressure and all
well she was not the only one :o
And of course we are not all the same. One reacts this way and other reacts that way. but it's hardly a hero act to go bad when things don't go like you plan
She had the talent from 96-2001 too, but simply not the motivation to work on herself. That's not a credibility either
It's the same for Andre. who is seen as such a great comeback player while in fact he wasn't even really away. just playing crap :o
Good for them that they got the motivation in the end, but it's hardly something to admire jmho

hingis-seles
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:51 AM
no because it started after I made an homage to steffi's comeback not the fact that she was 29;)
It's not a big deal of course!

I guess the reason why Steffi's comeback isn't seen as one is because she retired two months later anyway!

btw about Cappy. sorry but her environment might have been bad and she might have had a bad daddy and pressure and all
And of course we are not all the same. One reacts this way and other reacts that way. but it's hardly a hero act to go bad when things don't go like you plan
She had the talent from 96-2001 too, but simply not the motivation to work on herself. That's not a credibility either
It's the same for Andre. who is seen as such a great comeback player while in fact he wasn't even really away. just playing crap :o
Good for them that they got the motivation in the end, but it's hardly something to admire jmho
Irma, there are comebacks from Crappy play as well. Just ask Cinderella. :devil:

irma
Feb 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Then Steffi's french open 99 was definitely up with the greatest comebacks of all time. I mean it couldn't get worse after the Sandra Nacuk match in Berlin :devil:

hingis-seles
Feb 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Then Steffi's french open 99 was definitely up with the greatest comebacks of all time. I mean it couldn't get worse after the Sandra Nacuk match in Berlin :devil:
You forget. Steffi didn't smoke pot, steal $10 bracelets and wasn't American.

Sorry, it doesn't count. :devil:

Stefwhit
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:07 PM
I'm glad others have recognized Steffi's comeback as something worthy of mention. Steffi didn't have to face some of the major obstacles that a lot of others had to face, so that's not what makes it so impressive to me. The fact that it was 12 years after her first Slam victory, the fact that she was passed her prime, the fact that she beat the worlds #1, #2, and #3 players, the fact that this was 16 years into her career, the fact that she was able to reach down deep and get that one last Slam victory before it was all said and done- those are the things that make it something special. She had a storybook ending to a fantastic career after battling back through ever imaginable injury- talk about going out with a BANG! So I'd say it was the greatest "comeback/ending" right along side Pete Sampras...

In terms of battling back through "major" obstacles that title belongs to Monica. She had the biggest hurdles to overcome and the way she was able to pick up where she left off just cements the deal IMO.

In terms of coming back and achievements, then I probably gotta go with Jenn for the simple fact that she came back better than before. Tennis is sport built on confidence and when ur used to winning and it's no longer happening like it used to it's easy to get discouraged, but she stayed with it and prevailed beyond anyone's expectations. Like Agassi, that has to be viewed as something special.

MLF
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Umm, it's not just that Regina was banned by the Czech authorities she couldn't play because she was in prison!

I guess I would have to put Capriati's 3 slam titles and ascent to #1 ranking as best comeback ever. Seles returning after a murder attempt to lift a slam title is up there too and probably constitutes the best comeback mentally off all time.

irma
Feb 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I'm glad others have recognized Steffi's comeback as something worthy of mention. Steffi didn't have to face some of the major obstacles that a lot of others had to face, so that's not what makes it so impressive to me. The fact that it was 12 years after her first Slam victory, the fact that she was passed her prime, the fact that she beat the worlds #1, #2, and #3 players, the fact that this was 16 years into her career, the fact that she was able to reach down deep and get that one last Slam victory before it was all said and done- those are the things that make it something special. She had a storybook ending to a fantastic career after battling back through ever imaginable injury- talk about going out with a BANG! So I'd say it was the greatest "comeback/ending" right along side Pete Sampras...

I have a different view I think Steffi's obstacles make it incredible impressive. injuries, the fucked up environment, daddy with money signs, the press on her back for 14 years and it became worse and worse with time. incredible that she kept going all the time. as she said many times she wanted to run away. but she didn't. Incredible impressive :worship:

and that has nothing to with that you can't compare it with Monica. She was almost killed on a place were she felt safe and the man almost got a well done sign. That could be enough to go totally crazy and the misery didn't even stop there and she still keeps going and even that's almost impossible because she is always injured
and she still doesn't give up. that's a :worship: too

hollywood7172
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Is that better than 8 GSīs at age, what 18 or 19?!
you didn't answer my question. or you didn't understand it. i know you hate jennifer and you cannot bear to see her as the first in ANYTHING. everyone on this board knows that anytime you can put jennifer down you do and will.

so your answer to my question is that she is a "never-was" because, unlike monica, she didn't have 8 GS' by age 19?? ok. :rolleyes: so i guess serena and venus are both "never-was" by that definition as well then?? i'm sure you don't think that. therefore, just because someone doesn't have 8 GS by age 19 does NOT make them a "never-was", and therefore your answer to my post makes ZERO sense. :scratch:

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 01:40 PM
you didn't answer my question. or you didn't understand it. i know you hate jennifer and you cannot bear to see her as the first in ANYTHING. everyone on this board knows that anytime you can put jennifer down you do and will.

so your answer to my question is that she is a "never-was" because, unlike monica, she didn't have 8 GS' by age 19?? ok. :rolleyes: so i guess serena and venus are both "never-was" by that definition as well then?? i'm sure you don't think that. therefore, just because someone doesn't have 8 GS by age 19 does NOT make them a "never-was", and therefore your answer to my post makes ZERO sense. :scratch:

:lol: Youīre really pathetic. Even if it was that what I said, then both Serena and Venus are closer to "become" than Jen will ever be.

Now back to the topic. Monica was on her way to becoming an all-time great and a lunatic derailed that. Jen showed a lot of promise early in her career, but what happened to her I think is her own fault.

hollywood7172
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
YOU'RE NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION!!! is jennifer a "never-was" in her early years??

you keep dancing around and skirting the issue and wont admit that you used the wrong word, "never-was", to describe jennifer. we call this condition of yours the "avoidance personality". or just "in denial"

the answer: NO!! because a never-was would have accomplished nothing and we all know jen accomplished a whole lot.

and don't even jump on that sad bandwagon of "it was her own fault...", that doesn't take away from the fact that she came back and won 3 grandslams, beating serena, monica,lindsay,kim, and hingis along the way.

hollywood7172
Feb 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM
by the way, forgot to answer the thread title!:p

:bounce: :worship: :bounce: JENNIFER CAPRIATI:bounce: :worship: :bounce:

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
YOU'RE NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION!!! is jennifer a "never-was" in her early years??

you keep dancing around and skirting the issue and wont admit that you used the wrong word, "never-was", to describe jennifer. we call this condition of yours the "avoidance personality". or just "in denial"

the answer: NO!! because a never-was would have accomplished nothing and we all know jen accomplished a whole lot.

and don't even jump on that sad bandwagon of "it was her own fault...", that doesn't take away from the fact that she came back and won 3 grandslams, beating serena, monica,lindsay,kim, and hingis along the way.

What?! What?! As I said: Jen showed PROMISE in the beginning of her career, but that was it. She won an olympic Gold and.....?! She had a couple of semiīs and stuff, but she didnīt even have a GS-final and wasnīt really challening to top either. Her record against both Graf and Seles was horrid.

Best come-back: Seles.

kerbear
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:03 PM

This is how I find my foundation in that Capriati's comeback was the best. When Jen came back her reputation was forever changed. She was no longer viewed as the cute kid who did really well in tennis. She was now the troubled teenager, she was brandished by the press as a terrible person. Not only that but to be able to come back to a world that had loved her for being good at tennis, that needed to continue to love her for being herself. Jenn grappled with a lot. She had to win back her fans but mostly herself. For a few years after she came back, she wasn't as good as she is now. In fact she dropped into the 100s. She had to work this out, because she had the ability to be number one but not the mental strength she had as a child.

With the press constantly hounding her about this. She couldn't seem to get away from the demons. But somehow she found away. She found a place within herself that helped her to realize that tennis isn't about the past but is about the here and now. Jenn needed to play like she was in the here and now. And at the 99 US Open she informed the world like this, only to face a world that was still unable to accept the fact that a person can comeback from this. Only to face a group of press people that attacked her for her personal demons until she broke down and ended the press conference.

But she did stand up and show that she had beat the demons, that she knew her tennis strength. She became #1, she won 3 grandslams. Jenn can face each day in the here and now and know that she has the ability and feels that she has proved it. Of course there are still some that don't believe in her talent. And Jenn has realized she doesn't need to impress everyone. Those that are close to her. And her fans. And she doesn't care anymore what people say that aren't her fans.

Robert1
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Without any doubt Seles' comeback was the greatest ever. She came back from the attack, not having played for 2 and a half years and won the Canadian Open, then the Australian Open. Nobody comes close.

hollywood7172
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM
BANDABOU: ANSWER MY QUESTION: is jennifer a "never-was" before 2001?? and why??

Robert1
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
>>>>>>>>><. I feel, it greatly trivializes Monica's truly awe-inspiring comeback to even compare it with Jennifer's.

That is so true and I can't believe people even dare comparing their situation. Compared to Monica's dominance in the early 90s, Capriati was absolutely nothing. Seles was stabbed, coming back from that, hey, and winning a Grand Slam plus being a top 5 player 7 (!) years after the comeback, wow. It was and still is the greatest comeback in Sports' history, not only Tennis.

raquel
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Compared to Monica's dominance in the early 90s, Capriati was absolutely nothing.Monica's comeback was the greatest I agree but I would not go as far as to say Jennifer was nothing. She was not as good as she was after her comeback but she was better than 'nothing' :rolleyes:

And your signature is wrong. From 1990-1993 Monica was not leading the head to heads against any player. She trailed Linda Ferrando 0-1.

bandabou
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM
BANDABOU: ANSWER MY QUESTION: is jennifer a "never-was" before 2001?? and why??

Yes....what did she have?! Three SF, a couple of titles, olympic gold...that was it. Plus she didnīt have the self-discipline to stay away from drugs. Isnīt that what sports are supposed to teach you?!

Kart
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:51 PM
i like this post...i agree..what difference does it make how the person left the game? a comeback is a comeback....we shouldnt say 'well this person left on their own free will so thats not the same'

It makes every difference but it depends on your definition of 'comeback.'

JenCap never had to step onto the court thinking that the last time she did so, someone had tried to kill her. No doubting she had issues as well but I still think they pale in comparison.

For me, it's not about what they achieved afterwards, aside from returning to top level tennis which both did. It's about what demons they must have had to deal with to decide to come back.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Yes....what did she have?! Three SF, a couple of titles, olympic gold...that was it. Plus she didnīt have the self-discipline to stay away from drugs. Isnīt that what sports are supposed to teach you?!
Well said! this Capriati comeback is over-rated. I cant imagine, for example in football, someone having so much sympathy for a player who was on drugs.

TNT96
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:58 AM
This was a comeback of sorts-perhaps not the best but it was a comeback
Gabriela Sabatini ending a two year title drought to win the 1994 season ending Virginia Slims Championships-her fans (and her) waited forever for this!!!!!!!!!!!!

davenport_1
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:58 AM

BRAVO!

bigshow21
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:08 AM
This is how I find my foundation in that Capriati's comeback was the best. When Jen came back her reputation was forever changed. She was no longer viewed as the cute kid who did really well in tennis. She was now the troubled teenager, she was brandished by the press as a terrible person. Not only that but to be able to come back to a world that had loved her for being good at tennis, that needed to continue to love her for being herself. Jenn grappled with a lot. She had to win back her fans but mostly herself. For a few years after she came back, she wasn't as good as she is now. In fact she dropped into the 100s. She had to work this out, because she had the ability to be number one but not the mental strength she had as a child.

With the press constantly hounding her about this. She couldn't seem to get away from the demons. But somehow she found away. She found a place within herself that helped her to realize that tennis isn't about the past but is about the here and now. Jenn needed to play like she was in the here and now. And at the 99 US Open she informed the world like this, only to face a world that was still unable to accept the fact that a person can comeback from this. Only to face a group of press people that attacked her for her personal demons until she broke down and ended the press conference.

But she did stand up and show that she had beat the demons, that she knew her tennis strength. She became #1, she won 3 grandslams. Jenn can face each day in the here and now and know that she has the ability and feels that she has proved it. Of course there are still some that don't believe in her talent. And Jenn has realized she doesn't need to impress everyone. Those that are close to her. And her fans. And she doesn't care anymore what people say that aren't her fans.

Very, very, very well said!! :worship: :)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM

I disagree completely.

I think that it's inspiring to see somebody who has screwed up in their past comeback and make up for lost time. We ALL make mistakes. We don't all own up to them and grow up. Jennifer just didn't own up to them and deal with it, but she did it with the world watching.

I find it mindboggling that people are able to look at that and say "big deal, it's all her fault". Indeed. She screwed up when she was a teenager, and had to deal with the demons that haunted her into her 20's. And she won the battle. How ORDINARY.

I also think that you are simplifying her problems. Nobody said that everybody reacts poorly to being in crap situations. Some people go on and don't have too many problems. Others kill themselves. Others still do what Jennifer did. I don't think that anybody here has the right to judge how Jennifer responded to her situation. There isn't a single person on this board who can possibley understand the pressures and possible abuse that she had to deal with when she was just a child. Talk about being judgemental.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:01 AM
You're completely missing the point. Talk with irma and hingis-seles. You can all miss it together.

Andy T
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I disagree completely.

I think that it's inspiring to see somebody who has screwed up in their past comeback and make up for lost time. We ALL make mistakes. We don't all own up to them and grow up. Jennifer didn't own up to them and deal with it, but she did it with the world watching.

I find it mindboggling that people are able to look at that and say "big deal, it's all her fault". Indeed. She screwed up when she was a teenager, and had to deal with the demons that haunted her into her 20's. And she won the battle. How ORDINARY.

I also think that you are simplifying her problems. Nobody said that everybody reacts poorly to being in crap situations. Some people go on and don't have too many problems. Others kill themselves. Others still do what Jennifer did. I don't think that anybody here has the right to judge how Jennifer responded to her situation. There isn't a single person on this board who can possibley understand the pressures and possible abuse that she had to deal with when she was just a child. Talk about being judgemental.

I agree totally with these remarks. There seem to be four types of "comeback" cited: (1) from injury/surgery and maternity, i.e. a major physical upheaval (2) from "retirement", a voluntary break (3) from a period of bad results and (4) from a break because of emotional/psychological problems.

In all these cases, the player has to turn around physically and psychologically to refocus and get back on top. Capriati's achievement is therefore no less admirable than those of the other players cited. For me, though, Seles' achievement is greater as her comeback required that she overcome the physical and psychological effects of the assassination attempt and long lay-off, plus slay the demons of sitting in a chair at the changeover every time she stepped onto the court.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Well said! this Capriati comeback is over-rated. I cant imagine, for example in football, someone having so much sympathy for a player who was on drugs.
That's because football players are -generally - grown men. Jennifer was a teenager when she was convicted. She was a teenager doing something that is actually fairly common among teenagers! Imagine that. The way people talk about her "drug problem" on here, you'd think that she had been trying to smuggle cocaine across the border. I mean, christ. Do you all live in boxes, or what? I'm not saying that what she did is right. I'm saying that it's common.

You're also wrong, by the way. A LOT of people have sympathy of Theo Flurry (NHL player) who has been struggling with substance abuse problems for most of his life. When he was selected to play for Team Canada in the olympics and did a fine job contributing, at a point when many people questioned his selection, many saw this as a great triumph. Sadly though, his struggles with the bottle and drugs have continued since.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I agree totally with these remarks. There seem to be four types of "comeback" cited: (1) from injury/surgery and maternity, i.e. a major physical upheaval (2) from "retirement", a voluntary break (3) from a period of bad results and (4) from a break because of emotional/psychological problems.

In all these cases, the player has to turn around physically and psychologically to refocus and get back on top. Capriati's achievement is therefore no less admirable than those of the other players cited. For me, though, Seles' achievement is greater as her comeback required that she overcome the physical and psychological effects of the assassination attempt and long lay-off, plus slay the demons of sitting in a chair at the changeover every time she stepped onto the court.
I agree that what Seles had to overcome is greater. That is why I refuse to directly compare what her and Jennifer have done.

irma
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I don't know Cappy's story inside (who does outside her) but I never read she was abused ala mary p or mirjana l.
she was pushed and forced in a life she couldn't handle(not tennis otherwise she had never returned), but in that case nobody can be judgemental about Serena not wanting to play either. She was born to be in this game :o

hingis-seles
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I agree that what Seles had to overcome is greater. That is why I refuse to directly compare what her and Jennifer have done.
This is exactly my point! It's like comparing apples and oranges. I feel the Seles and Capriati comebacks cannot be compared because of the circumstances.

I do agree with you that Jennifer did not do anything too uncommon amongst American teenagers (dabbling in drugs and shoplifting) but when you hear about the media harp endlessly about how her returning from it all is the greatest thing since Suzanne Lenglen, it does get extremely annoying. Somewhat like the Andy Roddick hype as nausem.

Yet, it is important to mention that Seles' was much more tragic and frightening as she very nearly had her life taken away from her.

moby
Feb 16th, 2004, 10:50 AM
obviously seles' comeback is greater
but at the same time it is almost surreal
we can all relate to cappy's one more, i guess
which is why it is probably the comeback that can teach us more about ourselves and overcoming difficulties

hollywood7172
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM
NEWSFLASH EVERYONE!!!! according to our resident GENIUS bandabou, winning an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL at age 16 means NOTHING!!!!!! it means you are a "never-was"!!

pity those poor kids who train all their lives for olympic glory....someone thinks an olympic gold medal is NOTHING. :rolleyes:

note to bandabou: when you hate a certain player and try to put them down, it's better to use your brain before you speak. otherwise, in the future whenever people see your name heading a post they will think "garbage" or "moron" and will move on.:p

it's so sad that your hate for someone you've never even met consumes you so much that you have to say retarded things like "winning an olympic gold medal is nothing...semi's of 3 GS by age 15 means nothing". i'd like to see YOU do something like that. it surely must be easy, since it means NOTHING. :lol: :lol:

where is the love man? i might not like justine or serena but i'd never LIE in order to consolidate my opinions.:confused:

malbasdn
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:15 AM
THE best comeback will come from ANNA KOURNIKOVA in 2004

Gandalf
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I can't believe that people are putting Capriati's comeback over Seles. Sure, it was more succesful, but it 'only' depended on her putting the hard work. Seles was traumatised and out-of-shape, and really didn't know if she would be humiliating herself the first time she put a foot on court. Capriati didn't even come back from an injury, just had to decide whether she really liked to play tennis and give it her best. It's like Agassi playing bad for 3 years and then dedicating himself to the sport. Sure, it's inspiring, but it's much more difficult to overcome what Seles has done.

I also think that Corina Morariu's playing tennis after her leucemia is a bigger comeback than Jen's.

magassi
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Once again, I'll have to point out that Monica came back ranked co-#1 (read: easier draws, 1st round byes, etc.), while Jennifer had to play qualies... that's why as a "sports acheivement" Jennifer's comeback (at a time when women's tennis was the most atheletic and competitive) is more spectacular than Monica's. As a "personal acheivement" Monica wins hands down. BUT, if we are talking about sports: it's Jennifer Capriati.

AnDyDog621
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Who here is putting Jennifer's comeback above Monica's??? Isn't everyone in agreement that Seles' Comeback is better...

bandabou
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:15 PM
NEWSFLASH EVERYONE!!!! according to our resident GENIUS bandabou, winning an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL at age 16 means NOTHING!!!!!! it means you are a "never-was"!!

pity those poor kids who train all their lives for olympic glory....someone thinks an olympic gold medal is NOTHING. :rolleyes:

note to bandabou: when you hate a certain player and try to put them down, it's better to use your brain before you speak. otherwise, in the future whenever people see your name heading a post they will think "garbage" or "moron" and will move on.:p

it's so sad that your hate for someone you've never even met consumes you so much that you have to say retarded things like "winning an olympic gold medal is nothing...semi's of 3 GS by age 15 means nothing". i'd like to see YOU do something like that. it surely must be easy, since it means NOTHING. :lol: :lol:

where is the love man? i might not like justine or serena but i'd never LIE in order to consolidate my opinions.:confused:

See all the other people who share my opinion and I donīt think Iīm a morron. Jenīs comeback is great and all, but it was all due to LACK OF SELF-DISCIPLINE that she dropped so low to begin with!

And I meant never-was compared to Monica. Monica was no.1, on top of the world and got stabbed...on a TENNIS-COURT!! If you can come-back after that, youīre great, great!

Andrew.
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Ditto.

bello
Feb 17th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Definately JENNIFER!!!

and honourable to Monica too!!!

i think Tracey's 1989 comeback being halted was a real shame, she could have come back strong!

R&J
Feb 17th, 2004, 05:50 AM
I agree of course. Monica's comeback after what happened to her has got to be the Greatest Comeback in sports, but definitely for tennis without a doubt. Well, in my opinion.

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Feb 17th, 2004, 06:13 AM
I can't quote everyone that is for Jen but they were all really good. Oh yeah and winning a gold metal means nothing anymore I forgot that too!!!

Andy T
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Once again, I'll have to point out that Monica came back ranked co-#1 (read: easier draws, 1st round byes, etc.), while Jennifer had to play qualies... that's why as a "sports acheivement" Jennifer's comeback (at a time when women's tennis was the most atheletic and competitive) is more spectacular than Monica's. As a "personal acheivement" Monica wins hands down. BUT, if we are talking about sports: it's Jennifer Capriati.

When you consider that Monica reached the final in all of her first four tournaments back and won three, beating EVERYONE in sight except Steffi, the fact that she was co-ranked number 1 seems justified on the basis of form. She beat Po, Tauziat, Huber, Sabatini and Coetzer for the loss of just 14 games in the 95 Canadian and at Flushing meadows beat Dragomir, Delone, Kamio, Huber, Novotna and Martinez ceding 26 games total and without losing a set. At Sydney she beat Davenport in the final and in Aus 96 she beat Majoli, Rubin and Huber. At the end of the day, special ranking or not, Monica was beating those players and winning tournaments whereas Jennifer's comeback was more gradual.

azza
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Lucic.

Robert1
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:30 AM
That's right, Raquel, wow that was a great match. I watched it live on tele back then, full of drama and the crowd was so into it, the atmosphere was fantastic and actually it's one of my "favourite" losses of Monica, that US Open 90 3rd round.

Robert1
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM
When was Capriati's comeback? Wasn't it in 1996? And what did she achive that year? Well, not much, and from then on she was crawling around in the first few rounds at any tournament for a few years. She got more stable after about 3 or 4 years, 3 or 4 years she was playing again before she won her first Grand Slam, so that was her comeback???? It's not a comeback, it's a form she found (IMO she took drugs, other kind of drugs this time, and when being asked about it, she said "it's my business what I take and do to my body" and then she was phyisically so fit, never became tired and therefore won the AO) after many years.

And Monica? She was gone for a few years, then - bang, was back and won tournaments right away. Good draw or not, she was good enough right away to reach at least the finals anywhere and beat anybody. THIS is a come BACK.

raquel
Feb 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
That's right, Raquel, wow that was a great match. I watched it live on tele back then, full of drama and the crowd was so into it, the atmosphere was fantastic and actually it's one of my "favourite" losses of Monica, that US Open 90 3rd round.
Glad you managed to get some enjoyment from it Robert :) When ASV lost I never enjoyed it! It is probably Monica's only really freak result in her career. I think it is strange that Ferrando did nothing much else after it, as she could obviously play good tennis if she beat Monica in 1990.

alfajeffster
Feb 17th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Margaret Court left the tour to have her son, Danny in 1971, leaving Billie Jean King and Evonne Goolagong to take over. She returned in the Summer of 1972, and began winning tournaments again. By mid-1973, she had returned to #1 in the world, and by the end of 1973 had won not only her coveted Australian Open, but the French Open and U.S. Opens. Amazing comeback for a new mother.

bandabou
Feb 17th, 2004, 04:51 PM
and the jury is out: You canīt start counting a playerīs comeback only when they start winning. Monica came back and was winning from the bat. Jen didnīt do thing save for that brief surge she had in ī01-ī02, winning four titles. Not even THAT much..