PDA

View Full Version : Seles, Schwartz, Svensson, Dragomir, Kremer, Testud - how will they do ?

ChrisGermany2nd
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:17 AM
This year is fascinating with a number of BIG names coming back after longterm-injuries or pregnancies.

But, even apart from the rankings, how will they do ?

We all hope for Seles coming back a final time strong, but how will she be treated seeding-wise ? Is she seeding among the best32 in Miami or among the best16 ? Will she be able to return to the top16 till the end of 2004 ? Is she returning to the Olympics by a special treatment by ZinaG ? Is she returning to the top8 for LA ?

Will Dragomir be a solid clay courter again this summer ?
Will Schwartz finally live up to her potential in 2004 somewhen ?
Is Testud, who isn´t keen on rankings, doing some surprises in 2004 ?
Is Svensson a solid top100 soon again ?
Will Kremer once again be the nightmare for JelenaDokic in some draws ?
Can Majoli become the PattySchnyder for the indoor tournaments again ?

Do you know some other players coming back and rate their chances ? Is Kveta Hrdlickova retired after her marriage or was she pregnant when retiring ?

sylvain
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:30 AM
What about Karina Hasudova? will she play again: we only saw her last year at US Open in double.

Greenout
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM
This is very interesting. I think the test will be how well they
are able to cope with the heavy hitting, big ground stroke, footspeed
and youth of the Russians on tour. They sort of took all the spots and
set up an average standard that must be utilized in the top 30 nowadays.

esquímaux
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Svensson already pushed Rubin around in 3 sets at the Aussie Open ;)

ChrisGermany2nd
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:51 AM
The only one who should be keen on ranking or title questions is Seles. I think her comeback is the most difficult one as everybody will expect her to become a GS or tierI/II title favorite. But who has seen her against Petrova in FO2003 should speak against that.

Testud or Schwartz should be extremly dangerous on hardcourts this fall. I don´t see Sandrine finding her rhythm before that and therefore I question her comeback. Schwartz should be a force at the Australian 2005 and should her her best year 2005 before maybe retiring 2006. It´s sad to see those Austrians like Plischke or Paulus having to retire because of injury.

sylvain
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM
I saw Sandrine Testud at Gaz de France Open, she seems full of motivation. Next tournament for her: Dubai if she is not injured

ChrisGermany2nd
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:18 AM
The motivation might be there, but the "magic" of Justine was her solid game. If she decides to go to Arabia for 2 weeks and gets, let´s say, Henin in round1, how should she find her game again if then resting till Berlin ?

If I understand her interview correctly, it will be like this

Italy-challenger quarterfinal
Paris round1
Dubai
Doha
Berlin
Rome
Paris - GS
2 events in US
US Open - GS
2 events indoors

The gap between the schedule-stages are too wide to find her form !