PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Upset Ever In Womens Tennis History!!!!!!!!

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:38 AM
What was the most shocking upset in womens tennis history?

Here are a few examples.

Kathy Horvath (who?) over martina navratilova in the french open, a humiliating loss that stopped navratilova having the perfect unbeaten season. that maybe it right there........

Maybe Hingis losing in the first round of wimbledon (twice!!) to unknown (then) Dokic and later Ruano pascual.

Same goes for Graf losing to Mc Neil in the wimbledon first round. Total shocker..........Def another of the biggest upsets in tennis history. Although of course garrison and mc neil, who both beat graf at SW19 in big upsets, were so talented on grass, it was less of a surprise.

What about VW at roland garros. she went there so heavily favored, and had some howlers.........

What do Y'all think?

LindsayRocks89
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:53 AM
i agree with what you said, hmm i dont know bout this one but Hingis losing to iva at the french 97?

Leo_DFP
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:33 AM
I would say the Horvath and McNeil ones.

Andrew.
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Van Roost def. Davenport 1r French Open :p

tennisIlove09
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Lori McNeil def. Steffi Graf 7-5 7-6

1st Round Wimbledon...94?

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Van Roost def. Davenport 1r French Open :p

good point.......

Van roost also had a huge upset beating sanchez-vicario in the aus open.

she was one of the original really great belgians!!!!!!!

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Ive thought of more...
shriver over tracy austin at wimbledon
jordan over evert at wimbledon
shriver over navratilova at the us open

navratilova comes up again and again, she did her share of choking..........

John83
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:09 AM
I do not know

irma
Feb 14th, 2004, 04:57 AM
masters 92 was a way bigger upset then wim 94
I mean steffi had not played well since months in 94 and it was clear something was wrong (tennis wise), while in 92, she had won the last 4 tournaments, she lead 5:1, had beaten mcneil 6:0 6:2 two weeks before and suddenly loses 7:6 6:4 and then two days later there is the story that she had no time to play the tournament anyway;)

in 94 she said in key biscane I am tired of tennis, then chokes after 6:4 5:2, then loses a set to joannette kruger, then loses 6:2 6:2 to mary p, then loses to mcneil, then claims I want a baby and I will retire and then gets injured. that wimbledon match fitted right in and mcneil had beaten steffi in the last match anyway. see above;)

sure I don't think masters 92 was the biggest upset in tennishistory, but from a steffi point of view 92 was definitely more shocking then wim 94 jmho

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 14th, 2004, 05:02 AM
1997 RO final was a huge shock, Hingis had been unbeaten all year.

moby
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM
i dont think the 97 RG final was a shock
didn't martina fall off a horse or something
and for a period it was unsure whether she would compete?
and even when she did, she was clearly not well prepared

Jakeev
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Horvath's victory over Navratilova is definitely one of the great upsets of all time. But although McNeil's upset over Graf at Wimbledon was huge, many had expected that could happen.

Lori was an outstanding grass-court player and upset or not, it was not a shocking victory.

bw2082
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Martina N losing to Conchita at Wimbledon

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Horvath's victory over Navratilova is definitely one of the great upsets of all time. But although McNeil's upset over Graf at Wimbledon was huge, many had expected that could happen.

Lori was an outstanding grass-court player and upset or not, it was not a shocking victory.

i agree re mcneil..
in fact, I think I did infer that in my post......

still someone like graf was still expected to find a way to win in round 1 of a slam..............

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Martina N losing to Conchita at Wimbledon

in the big history picture that looks like a really huge upset, but u have to keep in mind that MN was on borrowed time by that stage. not challanging for too many slams and ranking slipping.

That said, it was a pretty ignominious defeat, consider CM was recognized as mainly a clay courter. That siad CM played great. MNs tactics were a bit suspect though..............

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:00 AM
heres another.....

amanda coetzer beating graf again and again. I always thought that those losses took a lot away from steffi's air of invincibility....