PDA

View Full Version : How about a psychological question....

Hulet
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Say for a moment, tennis is just like soccer - full of cheaters, who do anything for the sake of winning.
Then, would we really feel angry and depressed when players cheat their way to a slam title? Or, do we on the contrary feel elated by the never die attitude of the cheaters/players? Do we label the honest players, i.e., those who don't use everything available (including gamesmanship) to win a match, as "fake" or "bottlers" in those kind of situations?

GoDominique
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:45 PM
I don't know. But if tennis was like soccer I wouldn't follow it closely, just like I don't follow soccer closely.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Sigh.

Every tennis player on tour has used gamesmanship, just like soccer players try to get away with whatever is possible. Tennis players do too.

And why shouldn't they be able to? If you can bend the rules and get away with it, more power to you. That's outthinking your opponent. I'm a big believer in doing whatever you can to win matches, and I think the all the players are too.

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Chanda's never used this gamesmanship you talk of :shrug:

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Chanda's never used this gamesmanship you talk of :shrug:

Yes she has. They all have.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:27 PM
While watching a Suarez vs. Pierce match in Toronto...Her coach was constantly yelling stuff to Suarez. Every single point he could tell her about 10 things.
Same thing with Elena vs. (unkown) in toronto.

Knizzle
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:29 PM
While watching a Suarez vs. Pierce match in Toronto...Her coach was constantly yelling stuff to Suarez. Every single point he could tell her about 10 things.
Same thing with Elena vs. (unkown) in toronto.

Everyones coach says things to the player from the stands. Some far more than others.