PDA

View Full Version : Golovin or Sharapova?

I love Mary
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Who do you prefer?
And who do you think is the most talented and get more title?

I think Maria Sharapova.

mboyle
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Haven't seen tati play.

mboyle
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:19 PM
lied. I saw the two of them play eachother, actually, two years ago in Miami in the juniors:eek: :eek: :eek: . Maria was much MUCH better then...

Havok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:20 PM
i haven't seen Golovin play, but imo her run at the Australian Open and Paris is much better than some of the things Maria has done. I'm sure Golovin has beaten better players than Maria has:o

Rtael
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Golovin!

sartrista7
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I saw them both at Junior Wimbledon in 2002... and back then I knew that they'd both be something special. God, I'm good at talent-spotting :D

Right now, Maria is probably ahead game-wise (though obviously I haven't seen Tati play for nearly two years), but she's older. As impressive as Tati's recent runs have been, she's also had a lot of luck. I have no idea who will turn out better... they're both so talented, it's a question of who gets the most out of it.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Tatiana did face many walkerovers although the win vs. Elena was good.

Gowza
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:39 PM
i havent seen tati play but up to this stage going on results and who is challenging the top players more i would say masha, having said that tati hasnt played many top top players so its kind of hard to tell. but tati has had some luck. i guess to look at it another way is that tati has had more opportunities than masha with the french open WC's etc but im not really sure who is better since i havent seen tati play, but masha is very talented and for someone to get the results that tati is getting at her age they also have to be quite talented.tati is one of the juniors i want to follow through to the end of her career, also sharapova, krajicek and vaidisova. these 4 players imo are all going to be very good and are all extremely talented.

Libertango
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:44 PM
I can't say as I haven't seen Tati play, how does she play?? Though what I've seen of Masha I've been very impressed with

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:49 PM
i haven't seen Golovin play, but imo her run at the Australian Open and Paris is much better than some of the things Maria has done. I'm sure Golovin has beaten better players than Maria has:o

Really? Who?

But anyway, I haven't seen this other girl play. But I have been very impressed with Maria.

johnboy4
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Golovin

jlamire
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Don't know Maria quite well. But she has about 1 more year of experience on the tour than Tatiana.
I've seen Tatiana play today against Elena Dementieva. Most of the time the quality of the game was not very good if you compare it to the match of Mary against Bovina (the service of Dementieva makes me feel not very comfortable, it is so weak sometimes).
However what's impressive is how she handled all the events pretty well during the last weeks. Ok she is lucky somehow with the draw, injuries, etc...But you have to be experienced to do a good match after all that. She did not play a single complete mathc before this one, not sure it's easy to play a good game.
Seeing that match I thought that she would fail to convert the advantage she had and would lose in a 3rd set, just like it happens most of the time. But she closed it in 2 sets just like a top ten can do.
Eventually I noticed that she seems to be very consistent with her strokes. I've seen long rallies and that is Elena that made the error the first. She seemed not to use power all the time just like many girls do at her age.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Golovin will just get better as she plays more tournanments.

DelMonte
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:50 PM
i have no idea, but i just read this on yahoo tennis website:

"Golovin, 16, advanced to her first semifinal. She beat her first top-10 player in only her 11th career WTA Tour main draw singles match. Serena Williams holds the record as quickest to defeat a top-10 player in only her third tour match.

Golovin also is the lowest-ranked player, at No. 135, to reach a Tier I or Tier II semifinal since Williams, then ranked No. 304, made it to the 1997 Chicago semifinals."

no one is saying that tatiana will be the next serena williams but it's a great achievement nonetheless.

DelMonte

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM
i have no idea, but i just read this on yahoo tennis website:

"Golovin, 16, advanced to her first semifinal. She beat her first top-10 player in only her 11th career WTA Tour main draw singles match. Serena Williams holds the record as quickest to defeat a top-10 player in only her third tour match.

Golovin also is the lowest-ranked player, at No. 135, to reach a Tier I or Tier II semifinal since Williams, then ranked No. 304, made it to the 1997 Chicago semifinals."

no one is saying that tatiana will be the next serena williams but it's a great achievement nonetheless.

DelMontea good start to her career.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:52 PM
maria sharapova :hearts:

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Exactly...donīt really see her having a Serena-like career, but she seems to be pretty good. Maria, now itīs time to start showing the goods in real tournaments.

beauty_is_pink
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
im bias.... GOLOVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rocker2:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:12 PM
haven't seen Golovin play..~DAMN ESPN!! but sharapova will be the "famous" one between the two

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:16 PM
haven't seen Golovin play..~DAMN ESPN!! but sharapova will be the "famous" one between the twohttp://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-02-13T200452Z_01_TEN18D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

Harju.
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Golovin..

croat123
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:25 PM
i'ed go with maria. tati still hasn't proven herself. yes, she did do a great job to get back into that match vs. anna, but anna then got injured. and, as for her win vs. elena, elena is playing really bad right now. we'll see how she does tomorrow.

S-O-S
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Tatiana, taking out Anna Pistolesi on rebound ace=relentless running, and precise positioning,
while Maria never gave me the impression of being a "widsom" player,
so i do like Tatiana better, she has no Nick to hype her up, she does that herself

Linnie
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:40 AM
I saw the two of them play eachother, actually, two years ago in Miami in the juniors:eek: :eek: :eek: . Maria was much MUCH better then...I saw that match, too. It was close - went to three sets, if I'm not mistaken. I was actually impressed with both of them.

Masharapova
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:44 AM
:) masha :)

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:26 AM
I don't want to make any comment yet.

I want to see them play against one another at least a match first.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Golovin has that strong mental strength at a young age, the way she found that tiebreaker a breeze vs Krasnoroutskaya in Melbourne impressed me.

I still think Sharapova has a lot more experience to go through before she mixes it up with the best, Golovin is well built has an awesome serve, perhaps less margin for error on her groundies. Sharapova is maybe a year older, both incredible talents who will be in the top 8 in at least 2 years.

alextreiber04
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Either is great. :)

But if it comes down to a future-slam Golovin vs. Sharapova final I won't know who to cheer for....probably Tati. :bounce: