PDA

View Full Version : Can Dementieva Stay In The Top 10 With Her Serve?

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
She now has a 3-4 record, and has lost countless times because of her lack of serve.

At the championships, her serve wasn't all that bad as she was hitting some in the 90's actually.

Aparrently its worse as she's hitting double digit double faults....now dont get me wrong I like Elena, but I think her career is going to go down the pooper if something doesnt give.

*And whoever she's working with needs to be handed their walking papers*

S-O-S
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:04 PM
of course she can, Martina was ranked #1 if i'm not mistaken:)
if she is good enough, then yes she can:D

Havok
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:05 PM
well if other people don't step up to the plate and get themselves in the top 10 or back into the top 10(Dokic, Venus, Hantuchova, Vera, Nadia, etc.) she can still stay in the top 10 because she has solid strokes, a good return, and very good movement. but once the people hovering outside the top 10 and Dokic/Venus/Hantuchova get into good form, she's definitely out of there

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:05 PM
the times have changed, players will eat her serve for lunch :toothy:

the cat
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:06 PM
When Elena serves badly the rest of her game suffers. She will struggle to stay in the top 10 this year. I really wish she would toughen up.

kerbear
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:07 PM
the times have changed, players will eat her serve for lunch :toothy:

They ARE (as in currently) eating her for lunch. :rolleyes:

Elena isn't doing much of anything right lately it seems.

tennisIlove09
Nope. The only reason she's in the top 10, IMO, is because Venus was injured and Dani/Jelena had an off season.

GoDominique
Yes. The other players are just as shitty or injured.

CJ07
I just wish someone pulls her coach would say "I'm not working with you untill this changes"

maybe she needs motivation?

I mean I know its tought to improve a weakness, but she's a professional

emptyhead
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:09 PM
first seen this serve @Wimbledon, though it took some players 6 months to realsie that her 2nd serve was ALWAYS played to their forehand side......could be she doesnt care anymore

GoDominique
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I just wish someone pulls her coach would say "I'm not working with you untill this changes"

maybe she needs motivation?

I mean I know its tought to improve a weakness, but she's a professional
Her mum would never say that. ;)

alfonsojose
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM
She should rest and try to improve her service. She's a bad starter. She'll improve.

emptyhead
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:12 PM
she should advertise here, on the board for a new coach, theres plenty of experts around here

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM
We've seen worse serves ;) Aniko Kapros' club serve is definitely a whopper :eek: and Chanda got away with a 50 mph FIRST serve at the Aussie Open. Maybe players are easing up on their serves because power returners (aka Seles, etc.) aren't around to chomp on their powderpuff serves.

http://census.usopen.org/rc/click/mfile.akamai.com/8589/rm/ibmusopen.download.akamai.com/8589/2003/highlights/hl_082602_h.ram

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:40 PM
With that second serve?! Hell no! I saw Serena take her serve apart at Wimbledon...it wasn´t pretty!

emptyhead
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
they should do away with 2nd serves, then no player would have this problem, it would also speed the game up, and we wouldn't have to watch 2nd rate players serve 20+ double faults a match

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM
she needs to get a coach. Fast!!!

Meesh
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:17 PM
She really needs to work on her serve!

Look at Eurosports notes on her match:

20:58 At last after a titanic struggle Dementieva hits two consecutive first serves into court and putaway a forehand and volley winner to level the first set at 3-3

21:11 SET POINT GOLOVIN... Dementieva double faults and the French teenager skips to her chair, having won the FIRST SET 6-4... the stadium filling once again, with sponsors in their chairs

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
i think that shes just a dumb player that doesn't whats wrong with her.:mad:

I love Mary
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
It's a really shame; Elena could stay in top 5 and win against Ki or Justine. :mad: :mad:

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM
She has everything topaly tennis, but the serve is that kills her. She works hard for every point and she never gets free points from her serve. I think that if thats how shes going to play then i dont see her winning any titles this year.:(

Andrew.
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
It's a really shame; Elena could stay in top 5 and win against Ki or Justine. :mad: :mad:

I'm sorry, but Elena is over rated. She can be really tricky on some days, but usually she is not. It's not just her serve, her groundstrokes can fall apart sometimes. In the New Haven seims vs. Lindsay she was eaten up - serve and groundstrokes were erratic and just flying. The girl is streaky as hell and that's why she's not staying top 10.

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:28 PM
A serving-coach asap!! I mean is there any second-serve more predictable than hers?! Waiting for the kill....literally.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Elena will fall out of the top 15 after the French open, if she keeps up that type of game.

Andrew.
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Elena will fall out of the top 15 after the French open, if she keeps up that type of game.

She'll fall out after Amelia Island. That launched her 2003 ranking, and it will kill her ranknig in 2004.

Darop.
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:36 PM
The big problem is that the rest of her game is suffering from her serve, technically, cuz you cant set up nice points, mentally, you would just feel embaressed and uncapable, i had the exact same prob very early in my years, but as soon as i got my serve better, the rest of game benefitted.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:41 PM
we cant say that shes good on clay, grass, hard court because she doesn't have the serve. Her game strugles because of the serve and not the surface.

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:43 PM
The big problem is that the rest of her game is suffering from her serve, technically, cuz you cant set up nice points, mentally, you would just feel embaressed and uncapable, i had the exact same prob very early in my years, but as soon as i got my serve better, the rest of game benefitted.

very true :yeah:

fammmmedspin
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
well if other people don't step up to the plate and get themselves in the top 10 or back into the top 10(Dokic, Venus, Hantuchova, Vera, Nadia, etc.) she can still stay in the top 10 because she has solid strokes, a good return, and very good movement. but once the people hovering outside the top 10 and Dokic/Venus/Hantuchova get into good form, she's definitely out of there:) Yep. Like Ai or Chanda she can stay there as long as the people who might replace her ( Jelena, Francesca, Patty, Vera, Nadia, Maggie, Maria, Dinara, Elena B, Mary P or Daniela for example) are even more inconsistent. Indeed if Venus, Serena, Amelie, Jennifer keep on damaging themselves, she may go higher.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Obviously she can. This is her second run in the top ten in three years. The serve hasn't gotten any better, but she's back there.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:09 PM
that would nbe just getting lucky.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:23 PM
that would nbe just getting lucky.

No, it would be having a good year and beating good players. Like JHH and Davenport at Amelia Island. Like Rubin in consecutive Far East finals. Like Mauresmo and Myskina in Canada. 3 titles, two Slam 4rs, many wins over top ten players. She had a good year, and it had nothing to do with luck.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:25 PM
No, it would be having a good year and beating good players. Like JHH and Davenport at Amelia Island. Like Rubin in consecutive Far East finals. Like Mauresmo and Myskina in Canada. 3 titles, two Slam 4rs, many wins over top ten players. She had a good year, and it had nothing to do with luck.Luck!!!!

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:31 PM
:) Yep. Like Ai or Chanda she can stay there as long as the people who might replace her ( Jelena, Francesca, Patty, Vera, Nadia, Maggie, Maria, Dinara, Elena B, Mary P or Daniela for example) are even more inconsistent. Indeed if Venus, Serena, Amelie, Jennifer keep on damaging themselves, she may go higher.
Which Maggie?
http://www.igs.net/~bmitchell/Tennis/Serna/magui047.jpg
This one :tape:

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Which Maggie?
http://www.igs.net/~bmitchell/Tennis/Serna/magui047.jpg
This one :tape:
:eek: :eek:

LeonHart
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Define "stay." Since she has already "stayed" in the top ten for several weeks with her serve. :) And everyone has to fall out of the top ten sooner or later.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Define "stay." Since she has already "stayed" in the top ten for several weeks with her serve. :) And everyone has to fall out of the top ten sooner or later.because most of the top players are injured. but if they were playing good she would of been out by now.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Luck!!!!

Shows what you know.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Shows what you know.:lol: