PDA

View Full Version : Best Chance lost for hingis after 1999 FO?

alfonsojose
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:10 PM
For me, 2000 FO against Pierce. She never should lose that.

barmaid
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:42 PM
I was never more confident than with Martina leading 6-4 and 4-0 against Jennifer Capriati at the AO final in 2002 that she would capture her 4th Grand Slam title:worship: :sad: ...wrong! An unbelievable turn of events.:rolleyes: ......but she should have ...could have....would have if it hadn't been so damn hot:fiery:

barmaid:wavey:

MisterQ
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I was never more confident than with Martina leading 6-4 and 4-0 against Jennifer Capriati at the AO final in 2002 that she would capture her 4th Grand Slam title:worship: :sad: ...wrong! An unbelievable turn of events.:rolleyes: ......but she should have ...could have....would have if it hadn't been so damn hot:fiery:

That was astonishing. I couldn't believe it at the time either! Clearly that was her best chance, and I wonder what a win there would have done to her career. Funny how (much like Venus these days, or Sampras in 2000-02 despite having made a couple of USO finals), she was seen as a failure of sorts for not winning a major title, even though she was consistently in the semis and finals of GS tournaments.

Andrew.
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM
AO 2002 against Jennifer. 4 Championship Points. Enough said.

Experimentee
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I dont think the match against Pierce was a lost chance, Mary was playing so well in that match, and indeed in the whole tournament, that Hingis just didnt have a chance. She was blown off the court. The best chance was when she led 6-4 4-0 against Capriati, with Jen far from her best form.

Hingis was considered a failure for not winning a Grand Slam because she was #1 for a lot of that period, and #1 players are expected to win Slams. Venus these days is not the #1 player, neither was Sampras from 2000-02.

alfonsojose
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Weel, I chose the 2000 FO because i think Martina's head wasn't that concern about not winnig GS at that moment. In 2002 AO, That was definitely on her mind. I never saw the 2000 FO SF, but for me it was weird because Martina could handle Pierce. I guess Pierce was "in the zone".

moby
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Pierce was in the zone the whole clay season
didnt she dispatch everyone at charleston in straight sets, never losing more than 5 games per match or something in 2000
and the field was pretty strong...

kerbear
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:38 PM
. The best chance was when she led 6-4 4-0 against Capriati, with Jen far from her best form.

Jen wasn't far from her best form. She was #1 at the time...

But I agree that Martina losing that match was the end of her. You don't let a player comeback that well in the final of a grandslam without it affecting you.

I love Mary
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
It's easy: the AO final lost against Jennifer in 2002.

Ciao.

RAA
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM

barmaid:wavey:
wouldn't that have been her 6th GS title? or did you mean 4th Oz open title..?

anyway, I agree, the Oz opens were her best shot..

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:00 PM
that 2002 aus open final made me wish SOOOO much that monica would have been able to win that 3rd set against martina!

but yea. that was her best chance.

then the 99 french which was a joke of a match. total screw job.

2000 french-- she was outplayed by pierce :confused: that isn't a missed opportunity. that's just losing to someone at their best. no shame there.

tennisIlove09
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:05 PM
She had many chances, IMO.

Think about this:

1-1999 US Open.
She plays an epic semi against Venus, only to face Serena. Serena had played 3 or 4 three setters in a row in the tournament...and was in her first ever major final. Add that it was Hingis' third straight US final. Odds were in her favor.

2-2000 French Open
The other three semi finalists were Mary Pierce | Conchita Martinez | Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario. To think anyone else BUT Hingis would win is almost laughable.

3-2000 US Open
Maybe not win, but reach the finals is enough. Again the overhead to give her two match points :o

4-2001 Australian
Beats both Williams back to back to face Jennifer. She was probably OVER confident. She had never lost to Jennifer, who was in her first major final.

5-2002 Aussie
4 match points; a set and two break lead; served for the match.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:21 PM
1999 french and 2002 aussie