PDA

View Full Version : How many GS will justine win

Joachim
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I think 10-15.

Sammm
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:05 AM
The number is directly related to the number of Grand Slams Venus and Serena miss.

Joachim
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:06 AM
The number is directly related to the number of Grand Slams Venus and Serena miss.

i think Justine is better than Williams sisters.

Alan
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:26 AM

GAWD! :mad: why does it always have to BE about the williams sisters!!! :confused: :confused:

per4ever
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
there's a relation of course..because they are topcontenders too.. but pls don't say that Justine can only win one when the sisters aren't playing (remember RG2003).

10-15..that would be a dream :eek:

I'll stick to 7 :)

Alan
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:36 AM
HOW MANY GS will Justine win? READ: nothing about the williams.. all about justine ;)

salima
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
didnīt we have this question half a day ago, yesterday, last week ,last month, in december,november, october, and all last year?

:yawn:

;)

jrm
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM
hard to say but at the moment she is looking good for some more GS win

saki
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:24 PM
there's a relation of course..because they are topcontenders too.. but pls don't say that Justine can only win one when the sisters aren't playing (remember RG2003).

10-15..that would be a dream :eek:

I'll stick to 7 :)
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say!

I'll be a little more specific though, in that I'd predict: 2-3 more RG titles, 1-2 Wimbledon, 1-2 Australian and 1 U.S.Open.

shap_half
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I'm guessing (perhaps hoping as well) 12-15?
She has 3 now and seeing her win 9-12 more would make me really happy. Two of her GS wins have included a Williams sisters in the draw so :rolleyes:

I can really see Justine winning RG for a LOOOONG time as long as she doesn't change her game too much but just add more consistency to it. Maybe she can win 4-6 more RG; I think she has the chance to win 2-4 more Australian Opens; and hopefully she can win Wimbledon twice. And maybe, just maybe she can win the USO one more time.

I can dream, no?

tennnisfannn
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
I guess most of you are assuming that the sisters will never be healthy again, (not that Justine can't win with them in the draw, she can and already has), assuming that Kim will never win a slam, no other contender will ever rise and most importantly justine will never be injured (God forbid). Fact is stuff happens, when Hingis won all three slams in 1997 at a tender age of 16 going on 17, it looked like she was going to be giving steffi some real competition in the slam count.
I believe she will have more than three, but domination of the tour, I think not.

Andrew.
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM
3 RG
3 AO
1 Wimby
1 USO

moby
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:48 PM
it is very hard to predict
but if she goes on the way she's been playing
i think 8 would be a conservative bet
and maybe 10-12 if i'm feeling adventurous

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Who knows.....i'll go for 10 though, maybe opptimistic but i like to think big ;)

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:22 PM
those are such big increments in this poll. personally, i think she'll win 6-8

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Hmm, well lets think this through

RG WB US
F/SF SF/QF SF/QF

Justine is the fave for RG, but if Venus, Clijsters, and Serena are healthy, I really don't see either of them (especially Clijsters) letting themselves lose to them again
(or in Venus's case losing to her on red clay)

Justine is the third best grasscourt player....but a distant third. Even the most loyal Belgians have to concur

Justine is now a good hardcourt player, but by 2004 Us Open, i think Williamsx2, Clijsters, Myskina (yes, Myskina), and a few others will be superior (in Myskina's case, not superior, but a legit threat)

OZ FO WB US
Oz-By now, Clijsters should have won a slam or if not, should win it here
FO-Same situation as 2004
WB-""
US-""

Basically, I think Justine can/will win an average slam every other year for the next 3-4 years and by then she would have peaked. And even if she didn't, Sharapova, Kirilenko, all those other -ova/-ina/-eva's + the Williams Sisters + Someone we've yet to be introduced to will have come aboard. At that point I think Justine will be a Davenport-type consistent player.

So in short, I think 6 or 7 slams should do it

alexusjonesfan
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM
heart says 75

head says "I'm already ecstatic she's won 3" :p

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:01 PM
it has a lot to do with how many she can win once everyone's back and then it will be about how long she can hold off sharapova ;)

Havok
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM
3-7. i dont see her winning more than that, if everyone's healthy and playing that is!

venusfan
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:35 PM
all depends on how many Slams the Williams sisters are not in.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM
all depends on how many Slams the Williams sisters are not in.
The world is built around them. Justine will win slam titles with or without the ws.

I love Mary
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:51 PM
3. :tape: :tape:

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I think 7 is a good guess. Anything more than that, hmm....wishful thinking to me.

Plus, why do the Belgian-fans donīt keep living in denial. Yeah, Justine beat a Williams ONCE at a major( with some MAJOR controvercy at that too), but donīt come and act like sheīs unbeatable...

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:57 PM
The world is built around them. Justine will win slam titles with or without the ws.

:haha: :rolls: And you believe it too, huh?!

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM
:haha: :rolls: And you believe it too, huh?!
What isnt there to believe exactly :confused:

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:08 PM
What isnt there to believe exactly :confused:

That Justine will start bitchslapping the Williamses left and right at the majors....only at RG maybe and even then she will have to work VEEEEERRRRYYYY hard.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:10 PM
That Justine will start bitchslapping the Williamses left and right at the majors....only at RG maybe and even then she will have to work VEEEEERRRRYYYY hard.
I didnt say she would thrash them or even beat them all the time.....but u lot are talking about it as she can only win when they aren't around....

LindsayRocks89
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:11 PM
i think shell win 6-8, and I even think it will be very hard to win the french with both venus and serena playing.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:14 PM
i think Justine is better than Williams sisters.

There you go working with no tools again!:lol:

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I didnt say she would thrash them or even beat them all the time.....but u lot are talking about it as she can only win when they aren't around....

When you hear people talking about her winning three Wimbledons, a couple of u.s.opens,etc...who do u think is she gonna have to beat to do so?! The Williamses arenīt gonna always be injured, sooo..

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
When you hear people talking about her winning three Wimbledons, a couple of u.s.opens,etc...who do u think is she gonna have to beat to do so?! The Williamses arenīt gonna always be injured, sooo..
1. You dont know that, they are injury prone
2. I dont know who is talking about her winning 3, she'll have to win 1 first before any more discussion
3. We dont know what improvements justine has on her game to beat the sisters.

venusfan
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Justin lucky she has 3 because only one count if u ask me.

alfajeffster
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM
I think 10-15.
Not to knit-pick, but the question should really be "How Many Majors" not "How Many GSlams"- The Grand Slam is winning all 4 Majors in the same calendar year.

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM
1. You dont know that, they are injury prone
2. I dont know who is talking about her winning 3, she'll have to win 1 first before any more discussion
3. We dont know what improvements justine has on her game to beat the sisters.

Because she doesnīt have any....she got away at RG, but wimbledon showed that it is the same old! And that summer-streak has done NOTHING to change my opinion on that.

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Not to knit-pick, but the question should really be "How Many Majors" not "How Many GSlams"- The Grand Slam is winning all 4 Majors in the same calendar year.

Yeah, yeah....we know that Graf was the last GS winner...

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Because she doesnīt have any....she got away at RG, but wimbledon showed that it is the same old! And that summer-streak has done NOTHING to change my opinion on that.
If they come back we will see.....

DA FOREHAND
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:29 PM
justine will win zero Grand Slams!

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:30 PM
If they come back we will see.....

IF they come back?! Pl-uhse.....better be careful, because Justine may find that at least one of them is back, by next week.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:32 PM
IF they come back?! Pl-uhse.....better be careful, because Justine may find that at least one of them is back, by next week.
I thought she was already back at AO ? :rolleyes:

Knizzle
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I think 6 or 7

the cat
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I voted for 10 to 12. Henin is the most talented female tennis player in the world. :) And she's the toughest mentally, too. That makes for a great combination. If Justine stays healthy the next couple of years she will remain #1. She shows up prepared to play the big tournaments. Her desire and committment cannot be questioned.

SJW
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:36 PM
3 more

(more depending on how much the sisters are injured)

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I thought she was already back at AO ? :rolleyes:
Yeh she was....and Toyko....I'm not worried what i say, whatever happens, happens....

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Yeh she was....and Toyko....I'm not worried what i say, whatever happens, happens....
I'm thinking exactly the same way. I voted for 3-7 because i'm a realist. And that's something you can't say of bandabou. Always talking about "when the sisters are back this, when the sisters are back that".
I think he's whining about that for about 6-7 months, and you know what: they still aren't back on the circuit... And then he's saying that we have to be carefull with predictions :rolleyes:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
it depends on how hungry serena comes back.. but justine is the toughest player right now.. her game is solid and mentally she's a tough cookie.. :) i'd say 7-10 slams..

Allez-H
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Only time will tell,I guess :shrug:

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Aaaah...dem Belgian-fans. They are so cute...So Venus was back at the Oz, huh?! Good one! :lol::yeah:

Iīm realistic too and Justine ainīt winning no 10+ slams. What have you all been smoking?! if thereīs someone of this generation whoīs gonna win 10+ slams, it ainīt Justine. We all know who she is gonna be......

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:45 PM
So Venus was back at the Oz, huh?! Good one!
You claiming she wasnt playing?

Allez-H
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Aaaah...dem Belgian-fans. They are so cute...So Venus was back at the Oz, huh?! Good one! :lol::yeah:

Iīm realistic too and Justine ainīt winning no 10+ slams. What have you all been smoking?! if thereīs someone of this generation whoīs gonna win 10+ slams, it ainīt Justine. We all know who she is gonna be......
I'm sorry Bandabou but since when did you became an expert in predicting the future?Everything is possible in tennis,so you shouldn't make these predictions that Justine will never win more than 10 Slams.I respect your opinion but you're acting as if it's meant to be.Allot of people thought Richard was crazy when he made those predictions of his daughters but look what they have achieved.Many people thought that Justine would allways be the best-of-the-rest,and look where she's today.Seriously,you shouldn't be making these bold predictions.If it's your opinion than I except it but don't act as if it's a fact

shap_half
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Honestly I think that in the next 5-7 years as long as Justine works hard and keeps her focus, she should not lose any clay event she enters (doesn't mean she won't but she really shouldn't) she's the best on clay and there's no other way to look at the situation and that means just that many RG titles.

I also think that Justine can win 2 or 3 more Oz. I think that it's very very likely that she can win. Of course there are also more players who can do the same. I think that the Oz Open is the event that there's about 5-7 players who can really win the title, but I do think that Justine can win it atleast 2 more times.

Wimbledon should be the event that will give her the most problems in winning because the power of the sisters is sometimes just too much, but I think that once she breaks through that Williams-grass thing, she can probably win it 1-2.

USO, I'd be happy if she wins it even one moe time, but I don't know the likelihood of that.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Oh boy oh boy, i see you still aren't able to read and listen, but hey, what's new ?
*First of all, i said i voted for 3-7, because i'm realistic, i know that if everybody's healthy, things will be much more difficult.
*Yes Venus was back. I completely agree that she hadn't any preparation, but didn't williams fans in the past say that she doesn't need preparation :confused: Or has this changed suddenly :confused:
*I completely agree if serena returns, and she can reach her old level, then she's still number 1 in the world.
*But, fact is, she still hasn't returned, neither as venus (totally fit). Plus, the past has shown both sisters are injury prone
==> conclusion:
-there still will be slams in the future without williams sisters, giving more chance to justine for winning the slam
-justine has proven she can beat the williams (not on a regular base for the moment, but that can (i said can :) )change...)
-justine has said she wants a long carreer
-There's a chance that justine will win many more slams in the future, something that for some reason you don't want to face

kerbear
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I think Justine has more of a chance to win more slam titles in RG, and probably only RG. However I think that the WS are not going to be her biggest problems in this year's RG. Venus never won this one. Clay is not their best surface. I would say she's more up against Kim (again), Jen (she's won it before), and Amelie.

SJW
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:01 PM
:haha:

so Justine has a great chance of winning Wimbledon (which she's never won) and the sister's aren't gonna be her biggest test at RG (Serena won in 03, remember?)

be consistent, or shutup :) the sisters can win at Roland Garros, and Justine could Wimbledon

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Choices should be:

3-4
5-6
7-8
9 or more

It's a bit funny how Henin is overrated right now... There is talk about her winning the golden slam, going undefeated, now what? She's going to win 10 to 15 slams...? It's not going to happen.
i agree. that's why i had trouble voting. such large increments leading up to 15+ ??? serena has 6 right now and ever some of her fans think she won't win many more than 10.

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Honestly I think that in the next 5-7 years as long as Justine works hard and keeps her focus, she should not lose any clay event she enters (doesn't mean she won't but she really shouldn't) she's the best on clay and there's no other way to look at the situation and that means just that many RG titles.

You know, I'm working on being more objective and less Williams-influenced, but I just have to disagree with this.

Yes Justine is a great clay court player...but when the W/S are playing their best tennis, it doesn't matter what surface it is, they'll beat her 2 times out of 3.

Serena really should have won that match. It was because it was clay that allowed Henin to be competitive, on all other surfaces, she hasn't taken a set of Serena, and on all surfaces other than Clay she has only taken one set off Venus when she wasn't already down. (and in that case, she lost the next 6-0)

And Mauresmo is just as good as she is, and Clijsters really is just as good as she is, it's not like she's head above heels better than the rest.

Allez-H
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM
You know, I'm working on being more objective and less Williams-influenced, but I just have to disagree with this.

Yes Justine is a great clay court player...but when the W/S are playing their best tennis, it doesn't matter what surface it is, they'll beat her 2 times out of 3.

Serena really should have won that match. It was because it was clay that allowed Henin to be competitive, on all other surfaces, she hasn't taken a set of Serena, and on all surfaces other than Clay she has only taken one set off Venus when she wasn't already down. (and in that case, she lost the next 6-0)

And Mauresmo is just as good as she is, and Clijsters really is just as good as she is, it's not like she's head above heels better than the rest.
Well,actually Justine took a set of her at the Pilot Pen in 2001 and at Antwerp in 2002

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry Bandabou but since when did you became an expert in predicting the future?Everything is possible in tennis,so you shouldn't make these predictions that Justine will never win more than 10 Slams.I respect your opinion but you're acting as if it's meant to be.Allot of people thought Richard was crazy when he made those predictions of his daughters but look what they have achieved.Many people thought that Justine would allways be the best-of-the-rest,and look where she's today.Seriously,you shouldn't be making these bold predictions.If it's your opinion than I except it but don't act as if it's a fact

What is she now, really?! You mean to say: The best?! No,no,no....best of the rest is what she is. The best of those who are playing and thatīs it. Itīs gonna take more than a controversial victory over Serena in a slam for her to OVERALL best.

For the moment, I guess sheīs the best....īcause Serena ainīt playing. Justine knows it, the fans know it and everybody else know it.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:38 PM
What is she now, really?! You mean to say: The best?! No,no,no....best of the rest is what she is. The best of those who are playing and thatīs it. Itīs gonna take more than a controversial victory over Serena in a slam for her to OVERALL best.

For the moment, I guess sheīs the best....īcause Serena ainīt playing. Justine knows it, the fans know it and everybody else know it.
Yep, she is the best who is playing. Surely thats what tennis is about who is playing right?

CapFan#1
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM
3, That's It

MarySeles
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I don't know, it's hard to predict, but I think she can win even with the Williams sisters.

kerbear
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Yep, she is the best who is playing. Surely thats what tennis is about who is playing right?

It sure is.

Now Justine has to see how well she does against them when she comes back.

Amelie, who I wouldn't count her as beating since she dropped out with an injury but I think without an injury would have really challenged her as usual.

Jen, who hasn't played Justine at her best since before Justine won the RG.

And Serena, who I believe will come back as the strong competitor she is.

bigshow21
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Even though i dont like justine, she is a good at tennis. I think she will win a lot more GS but i will not like it. I am obviously a Jennifer Capriati fan so i am always going to route for her. But i do think justine will win a lot more GS.

Good Luck Jen!!

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Of course, but Justine ainīt always gonna meet Kim Clijsters in GS-finals and thatīs what itīs gonna take for her to win 10+ majors.

There will be times that sheīll have to face a Williams too and then what?! Is she ready for that?!

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:58 PM
She will win a few more, but it is going to be a little harder now because all of the good players are coming back.

If she doesn't cheat then she won't win anymore at all. :devil: :lol:

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Of course, but Justine ainīt always gonna meet Kim Clijsters in GS-finals and thatīs what itīs gonna take for her to win 10+ majors.

There will be times that sheīll have to face a Williams too and then what?! Is she ready for that?!and that's the difference between you and most belgian fans

you say no, based on the past
we say: we don't know, things have changed...

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:22 PM
and that's the difference between you and most belgian fans

you say no, based on the past
we say: we don't know, things have changed...

Really?!Whoīs acting like the Williamses are old news?! Like itīs them who have anything to prove when coming back?! Not me....

Just because Justine won a couple of slams, she suddenly is the best?! We have the throw Wimbledon out of the window?!

kosmikgroove
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:32 PM
i would like to point a few statistics, NOT opinions...

Justine's Win/Loss record on Clay for 2003: 20/1

Kim Clijsters' Win/Loss Record on Clay for 2003: 17-2

Serena's Win/Loss Record on Clay for 2003: 12/3

-------------------------------------------------------------

With records like this, is it really that implausable that Justine will win more RG titles?

If you still think she has no hope I have some stock in Enron I'd like to sell to you.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Really?!Whoīs acting like the Williamses are old news?! Like itīs them who have anything to prove when coming back?! Not me....

Just because Justine won a couple of slams, she suddenly is the best?! We have the throw Wimbledon out of the window?!
I have never said the williams still have to prove themselves.
If you would have read my posts a bit better, you would see i said that serena on her 'old' level still is the best.
It seems that you have enormous problems with admitting that the belgians can challenge the williams, and the gap that was there some years ago, isn't that big anymore...
It's you who keeps denigrating justines slam wins, while you don't say a word about all the slams the williams won in abscence of for instance Graf, Hingis, ...

I just say you aren't consequent at all

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Oh, and i forgot to add this:

as long as the sisters aren't playing, they are old news. It's harsh, but simple :)

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I have never said the williams still have to prove themselves.
If you would have read my posts a bit better, you would see i said that serena on her 'old' level still is the best.
It seems that you have enormous problems with admitting that the belgians can challenge the williams, and the gap that was there some years ago, isn't that big anymore...
It's you who keeps denigrating justines slam wins, while you don't say a word about all the slams the williams won in abscence of for instance Graf, Hingis, ...

I just say you aren't consequent at all

Me problem with what?! But has the gap really closed?! Just because Justine beat Serena on clay at Charleston and RG last year?! Just like she did in ī02( when Serena was even better imo.), while sheīs yet to even muster ANYTHING RESEMBLING a challenge to Serena on any other surface?!

Donīt know if thatīs closing the gap...Wimbledon showed that thereīs still some major gap for her to close. Same for Kim, she had her chance at Wimbledon and the Oz...but all the other times it was blink and you missed it for the Williamses...but alas, if the gap has closed.....

Knizzle
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Justine is not far and away the best player on clay. She had one exceptional year on clay where she lost once and all of a sudden she is dominant on clay?? Not true at all. Both sisters have beaten her on clay. Kim has beaten her on clay. Serena went 17-2 in 2002 on clay and beat virtually all the top players, did that make her dominant on the surface?? If Justine repeats what she did last year then yes I will say she is head and shoulders about everyone else on clay, but for now others are VERY close to her.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Me problem with what?! But has the gap really closed?! Just because Justine beat Serena on clay at Charleston and RG last year?! Just like she did in ī02( when Serena was even better imo.), while sheīs yet to even muster ANYTHING RESEMBLING a challenge to Serena on any other surface?!

Donīt know if thatīs closing the gap...Wimbledon showed that thereīs still some major gap for her to close. Same for Kim, she had her chance at Wimbledon and the Oz...but all the other times it was blink and you missed it for the Williamses...but alas, if the gap has closed.....
I'm sorry, but again you aren't consequent...
You are constantly (for maybe 6-7 months) denigrating justines wins on clay, implying it isn't that important.
Yet, you keep hammering about serena's win on gras...
Sounds not very logic to me :confused:

I mean: if we look at h2h's (something williams fans love to use in a williams-belgians discussion), we see it's 2-1...
Now, i know you gonna say justine only won on clay, but, the same could be said of serena: she only won on grass...

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Plus if you can lose to Kapros on clay, you can lose to ANYBODY!

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Justine is not far and away the best player on clay. She had one exceptional year on clay where she lost once and all of a sudden she is dominant on clay?? Not true at all. Both sisters have beaten her on clay. Kim has beaten her on clay. Serena went 17-2 in 2002 on clay and beat virtually all the top players, did that make her dominant on the surface?? If Justine repeats what she did last year then yes I will say she is head and shoulders about everyone else on clay, but for now others are VERY close to her.
The year before (when she was still the old justine ;) ) she also won Berlin, and was a finalist at Rome and i think Amelia Island too...
I know she lost in 1R at RG, but she was ill then.
So, not taking RG in mind, she had a very good clay season in 2002 too...

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, but again you aren't consequent...
You are constantly (for maybe 6-7 months) denigrating justines wins on clay, implying it isn't that important.
Yet, you keep hammering about serena's win on gras...
Sounds not very logic to me :confused:

I mean: if we look at h2h's (something williams fans love to use in a williams-belgians discussion), we see it's 2-1...
Now, i know you gonna say justine only won on clay, but, the same could be said of serena: she only won on grass...

Because fact is: Serena has beaten Justine on EVERY surface: hardcourts, indoors, grass, clay...anywhere, any time, anyplace.

Justine: On clay only...in fact sheīs only been competitive with Serena on clay and thatīs bottom-line.

See?! It ainīt fiction...itīs the truth. If youīd like Justine may win on clay, but Serena wins on everything else AND, AND, AND, she is competitive on clay!

kosmikgroove
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:53 PM

who lost to kapros?

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Oh boy, what a great argument :rolleyes:

Every player has already lost to an opponent ranked way below her, but hey, only for justine it counts, right ...

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 PM
The year before (when she was still the old justine ;) ) she also won Berlin, and was a finalist at Rome and i think Amelia Island too...
I know she lost in 1R at RG, but she was ill then.
So, not taking RG in mind, she had a very good clay season in 2002 too...

ssshh.....Serena reached the finals of all the big tournies she played on clay in ī02 and really shouldīve done so in ī03 too...but she went back to the old Serena.

hewittrok
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
i think 7 or 10

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Oh boy, what a great argument :rolleyes:

Every player has already lost to an opponent ranked way below her, but hey, only for justine it counts, right ...

You mean Kapros can beat Justine on a bad day and a Serena wouldnīt?!

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Because fact is: Serena has beaten Justine on EVERY surface: hardcourts, indoors, grass, clay...anywhere, any time, anyplace.

Justine: On clay only...in fact sheīs only been competitive with Serena on clay and thatīs bottom-line.

See?! It ainīt fiction...itīs the truth. If youīd like Justine may win on clay, but Serena wins on everything else AND, AND, AND, she is competitive on clay!
Totally true, but have serena and justine already met on hardcourt or carpet since the rise of the belgians ? I think not.
Again, you are using stats of the past (when there was still a huge gap between belgians and williams)
Since last year, justine only played once against Venus (and back then, justine didn't have the confidence she has now) and once against Serena.
You must be really smart to base an analysis on just one match :yeah:

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:00 PM
that's not what i'm saying, but I already know that you only read what you want to read...

I mean that everybody on a bad day can lose to an opponent ranked way below her.
Or do the names Raymond and Zvonareva say nothing to you ??

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:03 PM
ssshh.....Serena reached the finals of all the big tournies she played on clay in ī02 and really shouldīve done so in ī03 too...but she went back to the old Serena.
psst, that was not the issue.
the issue was justine had already an impressive clay season, serena has nothing to do with that discussion :)

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Totally true, but have serena and justine already met on hardcourt or carpet since the rise of the belgians ? I think not.
Again, you are using stats of the past (when there was still a huge gap between belgians and williams)
Since last year, justine only played once against Venus (and back then, justine didn't have the confidence she has now) and once against Serena.
You must be really smart to base an analysis on just one match :yeah:

Thing is: Serena met Justine only weeks after RG and the result of that match wasnīt much different....but then again, everytime when Justine lost there was something. She wasnīt ready, the hand was injured, etc...but we will see.

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM
that's not what i'm saying, but I already know that you only read what you want to read...

I mean that everybody on a bad day can lose to an opponent ranked way below her.
Or do the names Raymond and Zvonareva say nothing to you ??

No, you didnīt, did you?! Did you just compare top 30/20 players like Raymond and Zvonareva to no.100 or something Kapros?!

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Thing is: Serena met Justine only weeks after RG and the result of that match wasnīt much different....but then again, everytime when Justine lost there was something. She wasnīt ready, the hand was injured, etc...but we will see.
:lol:
I never used an excuse, i'm wondering where you saw that :confused:
It's the other way, most williams fans are assuming when the sisters are totally fit, they will win, no matter what. Well, excuse me, but i think that's just plain arrogance...

Now, as i've already said, serena was way better in wimbledon, no problem with admitting that. But then again, you must be smart to make an analysis on just one match (consistently 'forgetting' the clay season...)
If i follow your reasoning, then i'll say serena won't win anymore against justine on clay, because at Charleston, it was also an easy two setter...
(-> just to show you how wrong this 'logic' is)

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:37 PM
No, you didnīt, did you?! Did you just compare top 30/20 players like Raymond and Zvonareva to no.100 or something Kapros?!
oh come on, what are you talking about ???
yes, kapros is ranked below raymond and zvonareva.
But, the point is, venus is still expected to win against those players, and she didn't. There isn't much competition in womens tennis, but once in a while you have upsets like these. You act like Justine is the only player who has lost to such a player, which isn't the case...

Greenout
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:39 PM
It's the other way, most williams fans are assuming when the sisters are totally fit, they will win, no matter what. Well, excuse me, but i think that's just plain arrogance...

Now, as i've already said, serena was way better in wimbledon, no problem with admitting that. But then again, you must be smart to make an analysis on just one match (consistently 'forgetting' the clay season...)
If i follow your reasoning, then i'll say serena won't win anymore against justine on clay, because at Charleston, it was also an easy two setter...

Let's also not forget that JHH sprained her hand in Rosmalen the
days before WIMBLEDON were to start. She didn't practice much,
mainly it was during her actual matches at the grand slam. I
don't think anybody was surprised at the results because of this.
I was surprised she made it to the SF.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Let's also not forget that JHH sprained her hand in Rosmalen the
days before WIMBLEDON were to start. She didn't practice much,
mainly it was during her actual matches at the grand slam. I
don't think anybody was surprised at the results because of this.
I was surprised she made it to the SF.
But i believe she said after a few matches, it didn't bother her anymore, so i think it wasn't a big factor in her loss

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Of course your logic is flawed, because Serena nearly beat Justine at RG.... and Justine has to yet to even take a set off Serena. It ainīt arrogance..a healthy and fit Serena, Iīd take her ANY day over Justine. Just think that sheīs better than Justine. She might have a battle on clay, īcause that is Justineīs best and Serenaīs not so best surface....but other than that, Serena wins. The reason I say this?! You act like Justine is soooooooooo much better now, but she ainīt. Serena has the game to trouble Justine, because Serena GOES for her shots. Look at Lindsay, Kim,etc...whenever they went for their shots, there wasnīt much Justine could do.

Plus: Justine will be facing a player whoīs a better serve than her in Serena. Lindsay probably has a better too, but she canīt move....I think that combination: attacking play and good serving, donīt know if Justine has much answer for that.

Greenout
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:53 PM
But i believe she said after a few matches, it didn't bother her anymore, so i think it wasn't a big factor in her loss

She did say that; but they I think she lost the mental edge
worrying about it. Just like Kim did at the AO 2004 with her
injury.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Of course your logic is flawed, because Serena nearly beat Justine at RG.... and Justine has to yet to even take a set off Serena. It ainīt arrogance..a healthy and fit Serena, Iīd take her ANY day over Justine. Just think that sheīs better than Justine. She might have a battle on clay, īcause that is Justineīs best and Serenaīs not so best surface....but other than that, Serena wins. The reason I say this?! You act like Justine is soooooooooo much better now, but she ainīt. Serena has the game to trouble Justine, because Serena GOES for her shots. Look at Lindsay, Kim,etc...whenever they went for their shots, there wasnīt much Justine could do.

Plus: Justine will be facing a player whoīs a better serve than her in Serena. Lindsay probably has a better too, but she canīt move....I think that combination: attacking play and good serving, donīt know if Justine has much answer for that.
First of all, i want to say that there's a difference between being the favourite to win, and being certain to win.
I also believe an in form Serena is the clear favourite against anybody.
But, however, we haven't seen justine and venus play since australian open (and that was before the confidence boost) and we have seen just 1 match between serena and justine on a surface but clay.
So, what i want to tell (and what you don't want to face) is that justine has the weapons to trouble the sisters, and to beat them, even on hardcourt. But, she'll never be the favourite to beat them...
And that brings us back to the original discussion: justine is one of the few players who can (again, i use can, not will :) ) beat the sisters (upsets don't counting), so it isn't that weird to see her winning some more slams, even with williams in the draw...

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:56 PM
She did say that; but they I think she lost the mental edge
worrying about it. Just like Kim did at the AO 2004 with her
injury.
I do believe she was a bit more afraid to slip or something, but i still think it didn't influence the outcome of the match at all :)

Greenout
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Schal- I'm leaving this thread because no matter how many more times
Juju wins they still won't buy it. The comments will forever revolve
around how it doesn't "count" because Serena or Venus weren't at
their peak etc... It's a no- win situation. They all simply detest
Justine, and that's ok by me. Everyone has his or her likes and dislikes.
We like her and can enjoy watching what else happens in her career.

Schalckske
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I know the feeling, lol.
I didn't post for months on the board because i was so tired of discussions like this, but here i am again, with new courage :D

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:59 PM
First of all, i want to say that there's a difference between being the favourite to win, and being certain to win.
I also believe an in form Serena is the clear favourite against anybody.
But, however, we haven't seen justine and venus play since australian open (and that was before the confidence boost) and we have seen just 1 match between serena and justine on a surface but clay.
So, what i want to tell (and what you don't want to face) is that justine has the weapons to trouble the sisters, and to beat them, even on hardcourt. But, she'll never be the favourite to beat them...
And that brings us back to the original discussion: justine is one of the few players who can (again, i use can, not will :) ) beat the sisters (upsets don't counting), so it isn't that weird to see her winning some more slams, even with williams in the draw...

Never denied that she CAN beat them...thatīs why I voted for 3-7 majors for Juju..but when you start thinking 10+ majors, then it sounds like all of sudden she has become the favourite. She ainīt!( and may never be).

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:01 AM

Every win counts...but just because Justine won the u.s. open last year, people wanna act like sheīs the favourite to win it this year again.....NOPE! It all depends if the Williamses play or not and we all know that. Simply because they have the TRACK-RECORD there and Justine doesnīt. Not taking anything away from Justine.

Greenout
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I know the feeling, lol.
I didn't post for months on the board because i was so tired of discussions like this, but here i am again, with new courage :D

Your such a brave warrior. Keep on fighting the good fight!!!!!!!!
:hatoff:

Greenout
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Every win counts...but just because Justine won the u.s. open last year, people wanna act like sheīs the favourite to win it this year again.....NOPE! It all depends if the Williamses play or not and we all know that. Simply because they have the TRACK-RECORD there and Justine doesnīt. Not taking anything away from Justine.

Do you happen to like Depeche Mode? Ever heard of a song
by them called "Master and Servant"? ;)

Schalckske
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Never denied that she CAN beat them...thatīs why I voted for 3-7 majors for Juju..but when you start thinking 10+ majors, then it sounds like all of sudden she has become the favourite. She ainīt!( and may never be).
I think in one of my first posts, i alreay told that i also voted for 3-7. But, if she stays healthy, it is possible of winning more. Of course she won't win RG year after year, but from now on, she'll always be one of the top contenders for it.
Taking in mind that she's planning a long career, it isn't that weird to see her winning some more RG's.
Plus, the fact that the sisters are injury prone (i think that's a fact by now) implies there will be more slams without the sisters. And, i still believe she can win slams with the sisters participating (although her chances diminish if both sisters are in the draw)

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Do you happen to like Depeche Mode? Ever heard of a song
by them called "Master and Servant"? ;)

Nope...whoīs that and what does the song mean/say?!

Schalckske
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM
But, not being the clear favourite doesn't imply she hasn't any chance of winning it, and this is the point where the whole discussion is based on...

great smash
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Why not just pay credit where credit is due. You know Justine still isn't my favourite player but holding 3 out the 4 grand slams shows me you have what it takes. You may have an argument when saying Serena hasn't been around, but hey, my view is Justine is putting more effort into getting better than Serena has.
It's up to Serena to come back in her old form and show she's still the one to beat her.

Regardless, if you're able to win 3 GS in a 8 month period, there no reason why the counter should get stuck at 3. Many more things to be expected...

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:17 AM
I think in one of my first posts, i alreay told that i also voted for 3-7. But, if she stays healthy, it is possible of winning more. Of course she won't win RG year after year, but from now on, she'll always be one of the top contenders for it.
Taking in mind that she's planning a long career, it isn't that weird to see her winning some more RG's.
Plus, the fact that the sisters are injury prone (i think that's a fact by now) implies there will be more slams without the sisters. And, i still believe she can win slams with the sisters participating (although her chances diminish if both sisters are in the draw)

We will see....but I donīt know what the discussion is all about. Never denied Justine had the potential to do so at RG, sooo...

Plus it ainīt like Justine is iron-woman herself either. Didnīt she skip Fed Cup due to a bad back?! Ooopppsss, sorry......

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:17 AM
But, not being the clear favourite doesn't imply she hasn't any chance of winning it, and this is the point where the whole discussion is based on...

The same counts for the Williamses at RG too then, no?!

per4ever
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:49 AM
We will see....but I donīt know what the discussion is all about. Never denied Justine had the potential to do so at RG, sooo...

Plus it ainīt like Justine is iron-woman herself either. Didnīt she skip Fed Cup due to a bad back?! Ooopppsss, sorry......
oh wow Justine had an injury... where are the Sisters??? Who knows if Serena ever comes back..and how, and for how long!!

Miranda
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:24 AM
its hard to say, when hingis won 3 at just 16 in 97, i believed she gonna broke graf's records coz i assumed her to play till 30, but sadly she only got 5 and retired at just 22, umm, i guess justine will win about 10 :)

moby
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Kapros beat Justine?
I thought justine beat herself :p
you know, just like only the williams sisters can beat themselves? :tape:

Schalckske
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:50 AM
The same counts for the Williamses at RG too then, no?!
If they're playing, off course...
The problem with them is, you can't predict when they'll return, and if they'll return in full force ...

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:09 AM
If they're playing, off course...
The problem with them is, you can't predict when they'll return, and if they'll return in full force ...

And you can predict that Justine will stay at this level?! :scratch:

bandabou
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:11 AM
oh wow Justine had an injury... where are the Sisters??? Who knows if Serena ever comes back..and how, and for how long!!

No,no....you KNOW sheīs gonna back, but you WISH she wouldnīt be coming back....ya all know that the truth is out there and when Serena returns, Justine will by finding out the truth soon enough.

SJW
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:58 PM
:worship:

she did say that...Greenout just has selective memory

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
3 1/2 years later, Justine's won four more slams. I think she'll dominate the FO for a few more years and end up with at least 10-12 slams.

~Eclipsed~
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
3 1/2 years later, Justine's won four more slams. I think she'll dominate the FO for a few more years and end up with at least 10-12 slams.

my thoughts exactly. I don't think one of those slams will include Wimbledon though.

DimaDinosaur
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
ALLEZ JUSTINE!!!! woohoo!!!!!

Olórin
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
She'll win 10/11 slams. I predicted this number last year after she won her 5th slam, and Im sticking to it.

I think 2/3 more FO's and 1/2 of the others. I think next year if Serena doesn't come back strong, Justine could win a lot more though. Although Im counting on Ree to do that :p

Conor
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Ill say 13, 3 more French, 2 Australians and 1 Wimbledon :)

Matt01
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Impossible to predict, really.

shap_half
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I hope she wins more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more!
:bounce:
I certainly believe she has the game to do it. Hopefully she can accomplish all that she wants in her career!

Hingiswinsthis
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:04 AM
With the rate she's going, she should at least have 10 majors when she quits for good...

CJ07
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
For all we know Justine could break her leg and never recover. Who knows. Who would've thought Hingis would only have 5? Clijsters only have ONE (that has to be the biggest suprise), the W/S only (yes only) 6 and 8?

Anything can happen in sports. And we still don't know who the next Sharapova is going to be. Very few people were picking her to be so on top of things in 2002, well looked what happened in 2004.

I said before in this thread that she'd probably get 7, and I was right about that. At this point, I can see her getting to 10. She won't be able to keep up good/injury less play forever, someone better (or better matched) will come along, and then she still has those pesky sisters and eventually a healthy Sharapova to deal with.

She certainly will not be the next Graf, I can tell you that for sure.

pkilli
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
15+ :)

Sam L
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I can easily see her winning at least 6 more.

1 Wimbledon
3 French Opens
1 Australian
1 US

Before she retires. At least.

RJWCapriati
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:17 AM
10-12

Rtael
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I'm sticking with my original vote of 13-15. And a big FUCK YOU to the doubters and haters. Believe it or not, V&S are not the only ones with haters. :)

Rtael
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Clijsters only have ONE (that has to be the biggest suprise),

No it's not at all. People spent most of Kim's career talking about her lack of mental toughness against other top players on the big stage. What are you smoking?

Hant11
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I think 7-10

jonny84
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Let's see.

She's won one Australian (2004); four French (2003, 2005-2007); no Wimbledon (but 2x runner ups); and 2 US Opens (2003 and 2007, plus RU in 2006).

I think she will win next years Australian and French for sure. Hopefully she can win Wimbledon. It all depends on how the Serbians, Williams and Russians do to stop her.

Probably she will win five more - two more French, one Wimbledon, and two others.

Filip!
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM

This answer is a joke, look at US Open :tape: :lol:

kadirelf
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM
justine 7-10
serena 15+
Venus 10-15

MistyGrey
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
justine 7-10
serena 15+
Venus 10-15

:tape:

Ntour
Sep 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
justine 7-10
serena 15+
Venus 10-15

are you serious?? :tape:

mankind
Sep 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Yeah, because Justine has never beaten a Williams sister at a slam. :rolleyes:

mankind
Sep 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I voted 7-10, but if she gets it all together it could easily be 10-12

Kworb
Sep 14th, 2007, 02:07 PM
15+

Pasta-Na
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
10-12 i am sure :p

Tennisaddict
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I think she will win 3 more RG's and two OZ titles, so twelve in total.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
At 25 and in her prime, she can win a few more in the next 3-4 years...

Australian Open - 2 (expect a challenge, but wouldn't be a hassle)
French Open - 3 (a walk in the park for her)
Wimbledon - 1 (somehow, I feel this one's coming very soon...)
US Open - 2 (no problem I guess... she's a toughie on hard courts).

So all together will be 8... but if she can get more than that, why not? ;)

Tennisstar86
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I have a feeling that she Venus and Serena will all fail short of the double digits..... 1 of them might get 10 though....

Emina.
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM
15+ ?? :eek:

ASP0315
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM
it depends on her fitness. If she maintains good fitness in future she can rack up upto 15 or more.
she win RG 3 more times or so. Serena and Venus simply has no solution to defeat her on clay. AO suits her game pretty well a two more of those is possible. USO 1 more possibly. I assume the sisters will probably step up next year. The real tough tournment for her is wimby. she really needs to be 100 % fit to win there.

I voted for 10-12

Natalicious
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM
atleast 10

shap_half
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Shonami Slam
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Henin holding 11 titles at the end of her career seems like a bug tally, but it's in her.

Agassi Fan
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM
10-12 for sure.

Helaena
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
juju, go get some double figures...:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CanIGetAWhat
May 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Well, we now know. I'm still surprised that she's retired.

DA FOREHAND
May 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM

and the winner is .......BANDABOU!!!:worship:

morningglory
May 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
And the answer is 7!!!

Dodoboy.
May 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
WOW.

After USO 2007 i didn't think ' Justine will never win another slam '

Vikapower
May 14th, 2008, 08:31 PM
WOW.

After USO 2007 i didn't think ' Justine will never win another slam '
Evrybody tought she would bring her winning streack through 2008... US open will be the last that she have won - I'd like to see her run up for a 5 RG...