PDA

View Full Version : Most significant matches in women's tennis history

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Three matches jump out for me:

1. In 1884, Maud Watson d. Lillian Watson 6-8 6-3 6-3 to win the first Wimbledon and grand slam singles title ever. This is match that probably gave to the idea of women's tennis. Especially at grand slams with the men.

2. In 1926, Suzanne Lenglen d. Helen Wills 6-3 8-6 to win an exhibition match at the Carlton Club in France. Now, this may only be an exhibition match was it was hiterto, the most high profiled women's tennis match (yes, that includes the grand slams). There was so much media interest in this match and the audience that stood on top of hotels to watch the match. It was unprecedented, and the scale of hype and hysteria that surrounded the match is something we'll never see again. Really propelled women's tennis as a popular sport around the world.

3. In 1973, Billie Jean King d. Bobby Riggs 6-4 6-3 6-3 in an exhibition match at the Houston Astrodome. So again an exhibition match and only had one woman in it, but it was a truly significant match because not only does it have the highest attendance for a single match ever (I think a record that still stands today), but a woman beat a man in competitive tennis. It truly legitimized women's tennis as one of the most popular sports, and that women tennis players are a force to be reckoned with.

4. In 1993, Maggie Maleeva d. Monica Seles 4-6 3-4 (ret'd hurt) in a tournament in Hamburg. It wasn't the scoreline or who beat whom, but the cruel and scary way in which the then #1 player in the world Monica Seles was stabbed in the back just for been #1. Tennis made the headlines of news around the world for all the wrong reasons, and the tour was never the same again.

What do you think? Any other matches you think are significant? Any matches in the future you see that will be as significant as these?

tennisIlove09
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM
I can think of three:

1-What year (85 or 86?) that Navratilova lost one match--16's at the French. That match ended the perfect campaign in the Open Era. And Martina should have won...she lost 4-6 6-0 3-6

2-Venus def. Serena 2001 US Open. Changed the entire dynamic of the sisters on court relationship ;)

3-Maleeva "def." Seles 4-6 3-4 93 Hamburg. Enough said.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:02 AM
2004 Auckland: Lindsay Lee Waters def Rita Grande... first main draw win since 1997 :yeah: :o

hingis-seles
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:08 AM
How about.....

1991 US Open semifinals JCap vs MSeles? They really went for broke in that match and that level of ferocity and power was unprecedented in the women's game. The rest of the top players to follow (save Hingis) would all emulate that style.

Jakeev
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:11 PM
I can think of three:

1-What year (85 or 86?) that Navratilova lost one match--16's at the French. That match ended the perfect campaign in the Open Era. And Martina should have won...she lost 4-6 6-0 3-6
Actually that was 1983 when Kathy Horvath beat Martina at the French. Guess that is very significant since Martina is the only woman in the Open era to only lose one match in one year.

Others that stick out for me would have to be the last matches Mo Connonely, Margaret Court and Steffi Graf played to earn the calender-year Grand Slam.

Martina winning the 90 Wimbledon final for a record 9th crown.

Any of Althea Gibson's finals to become the first African-American to win Grand Slam titles.

so many.......

Jem
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Margaret Court beat Chris Evert 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 in the 1973 French Open final. Until then, Europeans gave only scant attention to women's tennis. That at least opened the doors for the women, although it would be several more years before the game truly became popular there.

calabar
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I agree with most of the ones posted already, however, for the life of me, I can't get too worked up over the BJK-Bobby Riggs match. I'm sorry folks but the so-called social "significance" of that match was way over-blown. It was a clever idea at the time in-so-far as garnering attention, which is a good thing if you are a TV executive, but in terms of social awareness and progress for women, I still can't see the point of pitting an over-the-hill old man against a fit female athlete and say.......well exactly what was really the point anyway?

But to get back to the point of the post, my vote goes to the first all-sister slam final in modern times. It speakes volumes of sistah-hood.

mauresmofan
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM
The French Open Final 1999 was a significant match in recent womens tennis history. It was the start of the downfall of Hingis.

venusfan
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:36 PM
2003 Wimbledon: Venus def Clijsters

Venus was obviously injured and played through the pain basically on one leg. Not since that epic 2000 US Open Semifinal have I seen Venus played with so much passion and guts. This also brings me to the conclusion that Clijster is and will probably always be a chocker in big matches. She was trashing Venus who was obviously injured and she let Venus defeated her rather easily in the 2nd and 3rd set.

2003 Wimbledon Serena def Henin

All but shows how good Serena is on any surface but Clay. I mean, she came out with her eye set on the traget and she just destroy Henin on grass with basically no counter attack from Henin. Basically leaves me to conclude that the Williams sisters when they are healty are the two best Tennis players in the world today. Rankings be Dammed.

silverwhite
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Yup. Although I'm a Williams fan, those 2 matches aren't significant at all in the context of women's tennis history.

alfajeffster
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM
1958 Wimbledon Final: Althea Gibson def. Darlene Hard
1968 Wimbledon Final: Billie Jean King def. Judy Tegart
1970 Wimbledon Final: Margaret Court def. Billie Jean King
1977 Wimbledon Final: Virginia Wade def. Betty Stove

There are so many more, but these stand out to me as being highly significant.

TennisFan75
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM
1980 U.S. Open Semi's Evert d. Austin 4-6 6-1 6-1.

Chris had been demolished by Austin in late 1979, losing 5 straight matches, and in a ten day span, losing 3 matches 6-1 6-3, 6-3 6-0, and 6-2 6-1. Tracy had broken her clay court streak, unseated her as the US Open champion and was seen by many as younger, faster, and more eager "version" of Chris. Chris had taken an extended break from the game early in 1980, dropped behind Austin and Navratilova in the rankings and it was rumored she would retire. Defeating Austin and reclaiming her US Open title (d. Mandlikova in the final) Chris proved to herself that she could still defeat Austin and she had the ability to regain her #1 rank.

tennnisfannn
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Jen beats Hingis AO 2001 6/4 6/4 to crown an amazing comeback. A promising career that was almost lost yet salvaged. Always will be a good story.

tommyk75
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Sam, that Lenglen-Wills was NOT an exhibition. It was a legitimate tournament played in Cannes, France, and both players had reached the final without losing a set.

Dennis
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:16 PM
How about.....

1991 US Open semifinals JCap vs MSeles? They really went for broke in that match and that level of ferocity and power was unprecedented in the women's game. The rest of the top players to follow (save Hingis) would all emulate that style.
No doubt , that match changed women tennis completelly !
The attack in Hamburg changed tennis history !

DA FOREHAND
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:26 PM
significant=important; of consequence

88 Us Open Final Graf caps off the Grand Slam

01 Us Open Final Venus -def- Serena
The sisters take womens tennis to prime time.

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:27 PM
seles def graf 92 roland garros

morbidangle
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:30 PM
1995 US Open Final Graf def. Seles. Enough said!

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:04 PM
maybe the 5 setter between seles and gabriela... i think you could call that significant.

AjdeNate!
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:27 PM
1995 Canadian Open Round 2 - Seles d. Kim Po-Messerli 6.0 6.3

jenny161185
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
sles def Capriati in 91 USO if Jen had gone on to win the final It could have changed her life for good

kerbear
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Seles def Capriati in 91 USO if Jen had gone on to win the final It could have changed her life for good

I agree. Somehow I think she would have stayed in tennis if she had won a grandslam that year. And by now she would have been one of the tennis greats having won multiple slams.

But then I try not to think about that... ;)

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Seles vs. Capriati
Venus vs. Serena

just to name a few recent ones

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I think some people don't understand what the word "significant" means.

significant

\Sig*nif"i*cant\, a. [L. significans, -antis, p. pr. of significare. See Signify.] 1. Fitted or designed to signify or make known somethingl having a meaning; standing as a sign or token; expressive or suggestive; as, a significant word or sound; a significant look.

It was well said of Plotinus, that the stars were significant, but not efficient. --Sir W. Raleigh.

2. Deserving to be considered; important; momentous; as, a significant event.
:bounce:

Bonfire
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Seles def. Capriati 91' (well...all the talk about this being the first match with two BiG hitters and just the quality and what happened to both players afterwards)
Capriati def. Hingis 01' (a personal pick I guess...but it was THE significant match of one players career...and was inspiring to many people)
Venus def. Serena 01' (prime time...the whole spectacle of the opening ceremonies and celebrations...and of course the fact that for the first time it was two african-american sisters from Compton playing against each other in the finals in New York was really cool.)
Capriati def. Hingis 02' (jen broke a couple records I think...in terms of matchpoints and games down...also maybe was the last BIG nail in the coffin of Hingis's career...which is a shame)

skanky~skanketta
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:36 PM
*i would think that seles' win at the AO 96 was extremely significant.(significant as in she made a stellar comeback)
*serena winning the Aussie, winning ALL the slams.(first player in ages to do so and she's black)
*FO all belgian final. (first time a belgian was guaranteed to win a slam. significant for belgium)
*USO 02 final. (first all sister final in a GS in ages!and they're black.)
i thought those were very defining moments in tennis.

yukon145
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:41 PM
2003 Wimbledon: Venus def Clijsters

Venus was obviously injured and played through the pain basically on one leg. Not since that epic 2000 US Open Semifinal have I seen Venus played with so much passion and guts. This also brings me to the conclusion that Clijster is and will probably always be a chocker in big matches. She was trashing Venus who was obviously injured and she let Venus defeated her rather easily in the 2nd and 3rd set.

2003 Wimbledon Serena def Henin

All but shows how good Serena is on any surface but Clay. I mean, she came out with her eye set on the traget and she just destroy Henin on grass with basically no counter attack from Henin. Basically leaves me to conclude that the Williams sisters when they are healty are the two best Tennis players in the world today. Rankings be Dammed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: right.....

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:45 PM
To me, the best match was Serena vs. Kim at AO 2003 semi-final. Nothing else need be said. What a nail-biter.

~RedRose~
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:47 PM
how bout when dokic beat hingis ..... wimbledon 1999 sure hingis wasnt at her best but wasnt it the first time the world no.1 was beaten by a qualifyer in the first rnd of a grand slam in the open era?

Sam L
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Sam, that Lenglen-Wills was NOT an exhibition. It was a legitimate tournament played in Cannes, France, and both players had reached the final without losing a set.
Oh really? Care to elaborate in Blast from the Past?

Also guys, I'm talking about the most significant matches IN WOMEN'S TENNIS HISTORY. Not IN YOUR LIVES. :p

tennisILove09 - 93 Hamburg match is a very significant one for all the wrong reasons. Thanks.

VW#1
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:39 PM
How about Venus 2nd rd match at Dubai in 2002, doesn't matter who she played, because simply by playing that match she became the first Black #1 since the development of the computer rankings, man or woman.

arcus
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:28 AM
agree with some but not all of the above........

seles capriati, yes because it herelded an era of big hitters.

BJK riggs, a farce, but one of the biggest tennis events in history, and it did put womens tennis on the map.

First GS final between the williams, a big deal, but i think it will fade a little bit in importance over time when the race/class thing stops being an issue. (I hope the day will come when people will say "2 black players? so what?) IMO the fact that two sisters got to be the best players in the world, rather than played one match is a way bigger deal.

Capriati's first slam in aus, maybe, after a much publicised descent into drugs and shoplifting, she showed that its possible to regenerate yourself and exceed whet u did before. Almost no one in tennis has managed that, except agassi. and after being the "phenom" that she was as a teen that will always be a HUGE story.

Agree about seles in Hamburg, a result that resonated for a decade.

Some other ideas of my own.........

King vs Court in wimbledon, with the 16-14? set drama, history, greats and drop shot tactics tactics like ull never see again. They talk about that match still.

Some Martina Navratilova matches stand out, IMO. Her ninth wimbledon, cos it is unlikely that anyone will will nine of any slam again (never say never, but with the competition and injuries toda......), or win a slam 12 years after winning it for the first time.

....and you might laugh, but MNs win in the mixed last year in the aus open, just cos she won a slam at 47 years old, smashing an age barrier, particularly significant also because she became one of the 2 players in the open era to have won all events at all the slams.
Btw, agree about the horvath match. that was key in a period where MN was so dominant that she lost 6 matches in 3 (!) whole years. Got to be one of the biggest upsets in history. Stopped her having the prefect year. So it has got to be significant.

And what about consideration for MN over evert in the US open final in 1984. Mainly cos it was part of the now infamous "supersaturday" where they mens semis (llendl over cash 7-6 in the fifth and Mcenroe over connors in 5) as the wonems finals in 3 tense sets were all classics, prob the greatest single day of tennis in history....

Same goes for Graf losing to Mc Neil in the wimbledon first round. Another of the biggest upsets in tennis history. Although of course garrison and mc neil, who both beat graf at SW19, were so talented on grass.

On the other hand Graf won the G Slam, so that last event final has to be a biggie in terms of significance.

Kart
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:36 AM
I could read all of the BFTP forum and I still probably wouldn't have enough knowledge to comment on the most significant matches in women's history LOL.

Jericho
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Serena def. Venus @ Miami 02' SF and Serena def. Capriati @ Toronto 01'

I say those two matches because Serena was able to turn around her H2Hs against these two players whom she was always losing to, and now she hasn't lost a match to those two since...because Serena overcame those two players, I really think that it was a turning point in her career and allowed her to achieve her historic 4 straight slams aka the Serena Slam

UDiTY
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM
In terms of changing tennis:

'91 US SF-Jennifer vs. Monica-signified the start of power tennis
'93 Hamburg-stabbing of Monica
'01 US-First Williams final
'03 RG-First Belgian Final

In terms of significant matches for individual players:

'96 Olympics-Lindsay Davenport wins first major title
'00 Wimby QF-Venus def. Hingis, Venus' first win over a top player in a GS
'01 US-Serena def. Davenport/Hingis declares herself as a very capable Grand Slam contender.
'01 AO-Jennifer Capriati comes a long way back.
'03 FO-Justine Henin-Hardenne beats Serena in SF and Kim in F

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Sam L, how are we supposed to comment on the effect of matches we haven't seen?

You can't blame people for not citing Lenglen-Wills. Many posters I'm sure know nothing about that match, and it would be a pretense to cite it just because of what others have said.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:04 AM
That said, this is my list.

1999 French Open final. Should've been a great from the past passing the torch to the new top dog .... but it wasn't.

2001 Australian Open quarterfinal. Just as a match with Monica Seles killed Jennifer Capriati's career a decade prior, another would send it to new heights.

2001 USO final. The Williams sisters play a poor match, but a groundbreaking one. I suppose the effects of it are yet to be seen, but it's on here for now. Whether it heralded a new era of popularity for the WTA or whether it simply heralded a new era of popularity for the Williams sisters is up for debate.

Leo_DFP
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Some good mentions from posters here.

But just a clarifcation: The Riggs/King exhibition match did not have the highest attendance of a tennis match ever. That award goes to the Costa/Corretja exhibition tiebreak last year, which preceeded the huge Barcelona vs. Madrid game in Spain.

disposablehero
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:24 AM
1995 Canadian Open Round 2 - Seles d. Kim Po-Messerli 6.0 6.3
I like your answer.

jenny161185
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:52 AM
2001 Australian Open quarterfinal. Just as a match with Monica Seles killed Jennifer Capriati's career a decade prior, another would send it to new heights.

good point ;)