PDA

View Full Version : Can Pierce win a big tournement?

I love Mary
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Do you think thath Mary can yet win a big tournement?
It would be nice if it will be a Slam (Paris..) but even a TIER 1 would be good (Rome for example..).

Do you think that Mary has yet the quality and possibility?
(Sorry for my bad english).

Ciao.

ys
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Nooo..

Havok
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
nope. Tier II possible though

PatM04
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:11 PM
If Mary is healthy and is playing her best then I don't see why she wouldn't challenge the top players at the big tournaments. I don't think however that she will ever dominate the tour again. For her to do that she would have to stay healthy all along, and Mary's injuries seem to be a weekly occurrence. I could however see her winning a few more tier II's, maybe a Tier I, but probably not a grand slam.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Well, if only Clijsters wasn't here, I would give her a decent shot at this event.

Declan
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I have always suspected that a fit Mary has another Slam in her. Don't forget she was World No.3 after her Roland Garros win, and seemed to have reached a new level of maturity and consistency in her game. But she became injured during that event and it was just one thing after another for the next three years. It's only in the last six or eight months that she seems to have at last turned the corner with the injuries, aided by an exacting fitness routine under Sven Groeneveld. If that continues I see no reason why she won't reach the pinnacle of the game again........

jrm
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:52 PM
nope

DelMonte
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:01 PM
i'd love for mary to win a big tournament (i don't think she can win a slam but maybe a tier 1?). last time is saw her play was wimbledon and she looked good although mobility was a big issue. this may have improved given the recent pics i've seen of her (if they can be interpreted as an indication of her general fitness). the thing with mary is that i think she can be beaten if her opponent moves her around a lot and doesn't give her enough time to prepare for her shots. she wins when she dictates the match and keeps the points short.

with improved fitness and bit of luck, who knows what can happen?

DelMonte

Leo_DFP
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Tier II or maybe Tier I again. I'm afraid that another Grand Slam is out of her reach unless the field is depleted for some reason (i.e. injuries). I really think she missed a major chance by withdrawing from the Aussie Open this year with a pretty weak excuse. With the right draw, she might have made the semis.

alextreiber04
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Maybe Tier III's or a weak Tier II like Eastbourne or Scottsdale...

novotnaquinton
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Definitely she has the chance!
Especially when she is healthy and the clay season is coming!
Go Mary!

Greenout
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:25 AM
I think in terms of big, big, big win she's in the same boat
as Lindsay. Still immaculate ball pounding skills; but the footspeed
of your Kimmy's, Amelie's ,Zhoo-steen's will hinder her chances.

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:14 AM
nope....same as Lindsay indeed. No slam, unless ALL of the big 4 are injured. A tier I or II could be possible, with a good draw.

jlamire
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Tier II or maybe Tier I again. I'm afraid that another Grand Slam is out of her reach unless the field is depleted for some reason (i.e. injuries). I really think she missed a major chance by withdrawing from the Aussie Open this year with a pretty weak excuse. With the right draw, she might have made the semis.
Can you remind me what was that weak excuse? I thought she was just not ready physically. Do you imply that she could play at the Aussie Open but did not want for some odd reason?

thanks

per4ever
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:04 AM
I can't see her beat Justine, Kim, Venus or Serena. So if these are in the draw, no ;)

she could win a tier I like Tokyo with only Davenport to beat.

Alan
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:31 AM
she already HAD... hehehe

Andrew.
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:45 AM
She has a great attitude about things, and she is looking great in Paris. I could see her winning a Tier I. Remember, she pushed Kim in the first set last year indoors, so with her being fit and healthy, I could see her winning a Tier I, but probably not another slam.

jenny161185
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM
does mary look alot fitter than last year?i havent seen any recent pics of her but does she look to have lost weight???

malaye
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:01 PM
does mary look alot fitter than last year?i havent seen any recent pics of her but does she look to have lost weight???
Yes she does. I only saw her very briefly on TV, but she seemed much fitter :)

AaronJoyB
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:02 PM
She can!
Go!

tarah
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM
yes, of course :)

Experimentee
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:16 PM
No doubt she can, if she is fit and playing her best. However I dont know how many times she brings her best game to court, probably about once a year now :rolleyes:

Tompier
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:19 PM
MARY can do miricles if stays fit ad healty

Experimentee
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Can you remind me what was that weak excuse? I thought she was just not ready physically. Do you imply that she could play at the Aussie Open but did not want for some odd reason?

thanks

It was a weak excuse, if she really wanted to play she would have trained in the off season, then played warm ups to make sure she was ready physically, just like every other player did. Every player knows what they have to do to be physically fit, and obviously she didnt do what she needed to.

Leo_DFP
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I agree with Experimentee. She seemed fit enough at the end of the 2003 season, when she was challenging/beating top players and helping France to take the Fed Cup title. I don't understand why she would not play a Grand Slam when she had been in good form not too long before. And I don't think she was lazy with training over the off season, either, because look at the great shape she's in right now. Maybe she just didn't want to bother to go Down Under this year. :confused: :rolleyes:

TennisSTUD
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I think it depends on her fitness

stu-pot
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Mary :angel: could definitely win a major tournament. Once fit she just needs to pick off a couple of major players, this will install a new confidence!!!! :fiery: :fiery: Beauty and talent will eventually win over against all the odds. :hearts: :hearts: :kiss: My God she is just soooooo sexy!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: Kick butt Mary, you can do it!!! :worship:

jimbo mack
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM
i think pierce could definitely win a tier 11, maybe a tier 1. not a grandslam however. if she stays fit and confident, i think she could be back in the top 10 pretty soon!!!

MarcusRock
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:09 PM
In this age of injuries, sure she can.

Brαm
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:18 PM
If even players like Kim and Amélie can't win a slam, how could Mary Pierce possibly win a slam again?

0% chance IMO

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 15th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Well, if only Clijsters wasn't here, I would give her a decent shot at this event.

YOU ARE A GENIUS! ;)

steve437
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:19 AM

She looks better the heavier she is, I reckon. Like Iroda Tulyaganova, whose weight all seems to go to her chest....

steve437
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:26 AM
If even players like Kim and Amélie can't win a slam, how could Mary Pierce possibly win a slam again?

0% chance IMO

Justine HH is NOT a babe!

mauresmofan
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I still remember that tournament where she absolutely wiped the floor with Serena Jelena Monica and Arantxa back to back. After seeing her do that nobody on the wta tour is safe if Maam plays like that again. Remember it's her first tournament of 2004 and a great effort to make the final. Maam will only get better as the season progresses. I think she possibly has another French Open in her - never count her out!

justine&coria
Feb 16th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I don't think she'll be able to win a GS !
But why not a Tier I, where there's no Justine, Kim, Serena or Venus. She might have a chance against Mauresmo, Davenport and Capriati.

morbidangle
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM
With Mary you just never know.. I think she does have a slam left in her.. maybe an FO or a USO..

Brαm
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:33 PM

0% chance IMO
Justine HH is NOT a babe!

Yes, I know she's not a babe :confused:

When did I say she is? :shrug:

esquímaux
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I don't think she can win a tournement, but a tournament yes ;)

Stefwhit
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Can Mary win a major tourney? Yes... Can she win a grandslam? Yes...
Will Mary win a major tourney? Probably... Will Mary win a GS? Probably not...
No one can say definitively one way or the other, but it's likely if she keeps progressing like she's been and with the current weaker fields her chances are as good as they could possibly be. In regards to a GS well if the draws open up as they've been doing lately you can't count her out. In no way, shape, or fashion would Mary ever be considered a favorite over the big guns, but at the same time she does have the game to take it to anyone- so you at least gotta give her a shot...