PDA

View Full Version : Is Serena a Socially Responsible Individual?

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:32 PM
We all know about Nike's "production shops" in third world countries.

By wearing the NIKE logo on her shirt is Serena saying she will take 'profit: at all cost'?

How socially responsible is that of Serena?

CanadianBoy21
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:34 PM
You are the fifth person going on my ignore list today :rolleyes:
dumbasses!!!!!!!!!!!
fuck! The newer members suck!

Sofiane
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:35 PM
It is as responsible as JHH, who wears Adidas. We all know about Adidas using very young childes in India and China, to product their material.
The list can go on and on.

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
It is as responsible as JHH, who wears Adidas. We all know about Adidas using very young childes in India and China, to product their material.

Good Question.
But lets try to stay on topic please.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
for-sure,
Good job!!!!! I'm glad that you are single-handedly bringing the Williams Sisters down!!!!! Also, don't fail to mention that they endorse Wrigley's gum. Everybody knows that the sugar from the gum is drawn from little baby snails who deserve to live too.

K&J fan
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Good Question.
But lets try to stay on topic please.
:lol: :lol:

Sofiane
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Is the topic to talk about Nike or to bash Serena? cause it's seems more of the later to me.
Don't you have better things to do with your life? (If you have one)

Andrew.
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM
So are Lindsay Davenport, Mary Pierce, Daniela Hantuchova, Amelie Mauresmo, and Maria Sharapova bad people for wearing Nike? No. Neither is Serena. Get over it.

apoet29
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM
What about Lebron James? Michael Jordan? Andre Agassi? Tiger Woods? Daniela Hantuchova? Marion James? They are all Nike representatives and I did see you pinpointing them about social responsibility. Unfortunately, slave labor exists in the world today, and corporations like Nike, Disney, Reebook, Microsoft, Adidas, etc all take advantage of it. It is like Sophiane said the list can go on and on.

Honestly, your "hating" on Serena Williams is getting old. You seem to enjoy criticizing her without noticing that other players have the exact same behavior. Perhaps you're envious? I can't tell, but find something else to do.

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Is the topic to talk about Nike or to bash Serena? cause it's seems more of the later to me.

I think the topic is very clearly outlined in the title of the thread. Kindly read it again.

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:43 PM
What about Lebron James? Michael Jordan? Andre Agassi? Tiger Woods? Daniela Hantuchova? Marion James? They are all Nike representatives and I did see you pinpointing them about social responsibility. Unfortunately, slave labor exists in the world today, and corporations like Nike, Disney, Reebook, Microsoft, Adidas, etc all take advantage of it. It is like Sophiane said the list can go on and on.

Honestly, your "hating" on Serena Williams is getting old. You seem to enjoy criticizing her without noticing that other players have the exact same behavior. Perhaps you're envious? I can't tell, but find something else to do.

I am sorry, I did not realize that Michael Jordan, Lebron James and Andre Agassi are female tennis players.

Daniela Hantuchova clearly does not have the 'power' of Serena in terms of raising society's awareness.
IF you would like to discuss them, please make a new thread. Thank you.

griffin
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM
How economically exploitive and environmentally destructive are the clothes in YOUR wardrobe?

The food you eat?

The products you buy?

I think she's probably no more or less socially responsible than the rest of us.

I also think Sofiane read the title and intent of this thread just right :)

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:45 PM
How economically exploitive and environmentally destructive are the clothes in YOUR wardrobe?

The food you eat?

The products you buy?

I think she's probably no more or less socially responsible than the rest of us.

These are good questions for everyone to ask themselves. Including Serena.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM
for-sure,
Don't let the sensible posts of these other posters deter your you from BRINGING THE WILLIAMS SISTERS DOWN, BABY!!!!!

Martian Willow
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM

...I think the topic is for the benefit of people who have nothing better to do with their lives than reply to it... :)

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:47 PM
:tape: ...I think the topic is for the benefit of people who have nothing better to do with their lives than reply to it... :):tape: *embarrassed*

BigTennisFan
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM

By wearing the NIKE logo on her shirt is Serena saying she will take 'profit: at all cost'?

She is very socially responsible. She is helping people who would have no jobs at all, have some way of earning something.

Let's say that you are making 500 dollars a week and I come along and offer you 1500 dollars a week. Would you take it?

Now let's say that you are digging through trash cans 16 hours a day for trash to sell that earns you $.65 a day. Then I come along and offer you a job sitting at a sewing machine for 10 hours a day that pays you $5.00 a day. In which situation would you be better off?

griffin
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM
These are good questions for everyone to ask themselves. Including Serena.

Agreed, so why not let Serena deal with Serena...and you deal with you. Or as that other Williams (Hank) would have said:

"Mind y'own business,
Why don't you mind y'own business?
Cause if you mind y'own business,
you won't be minding mine...."

Sponsorships and the social responsibility of athletes is a perfectly valid topic, but singling out one player and/or one brand pretty much shows your cards.

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Has anyone actually answered the question yet? *rolls eyes*

apoet29
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I am sorry, I did not realize that Michael Jordan, Lebron James and Andre Agassi are female tennis players.

Daniela Hantuchova clearly does not have the 'power' of Serena in terms of raising society's awareness.
IF you would like to discuss them, please make a new thread. Thank you.
I was simply pointing out that they were Nike representatives. If you are going to criticize one person for what you feel is abhorrent behavior, then you should criticize everyone for the same behavior. If you criticize Serena for not raising "social awareness," then you should also criticize Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, and Andre Agassi who all have "the power" to raise social awareness.

Anyone has the power to raise social awareness. While celebrities like Serena certainly have more power than most, it is everyone's responsibility and the fact that you are singling out Serena shows your true cards here.

BTW, you're a big Juju fan right? She is the number one player in the world. Why aren't you singling her out for criticism? After all, she wears Adidas as does Hingis and Kournikova. Oh, I forgot. You just have a hardon for criticizing Serena. :rolleyes:

bw2082
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Who cares? I don't give a thought to if my clothes were manufactured by some kid in a sweatshop. It may be insensitive but it's the truth and it doesn't bother me to admit it. If I spent time every day to think about where my food or clothes or anything else I buy comes from I'd #1 not have a lot of things I have that I like and #2 not have a lot of free time since i'd be spending all my time looking for "socially responsible" goods. When you think about it, the sweatshops aren't that bad when you consider the alternative where there is no money coming in. Work is in short supply in many developing countries... you take away the sweatshops you take away jobs. And it's not like they're forced to stay there... they choose to work there because those factories pay them more than they can earn from the local alternatives. Take away the sweatshops and you'll have them on the streets or in the fields making less money than they would working for Nike in one of their "sweatshops."

apoet29
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Actually, Griffin answered the question perfectly well, but of course, it is not the answer you were seeking. You want everyone to sit there and slam Serena for not being "socially conscious" and while all other female tennis players are represented by the same types of companies are not even mentioned in your thread. Now if you want a valid discussion, perhaps you should start a new thread that reads, "Are female tennis players with big endorsement contracts socially responsible human beings?" Then maybe we can have a good discussion.

kosmikgroove
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:14 PM
With greater public presence comes greater responsibility. So i guess it all depends on wether or not she realizes the conditions under which Nike produces it's clothing. If she does and still cares more about the $ rather than what her public image represents than I have to say that she is being apathetic, not irresponsible. Still doesn't change the fact that she kicks ass and that there are hundreds of other top athletes who will turn their head the other direction for the right amount of $.

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:21 PM

The food you eat?

The products you buy?

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:25 PM

The food you eat?

The products you buy?

Damn forsure, griffin shut you down with the quickness.

irma
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Lindsay, Mary P, Andre. just three slam champions during this millenium
and go a little bit in the past: Kim, Monica, Mcenroe, Sampras, Courier
Just a few names

what do (or did) they all have in common?

DA FOREHAND
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:33 PM

May I suggest...you taking a pit stop here

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=102815&goto=newpost

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:39 PM

WHOA!!! VERY NICE!! :BOLT:

MarcusRock
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
I know I'm a little off-topic but I hear that Lindsay Davenport goes seal-clubbing during the off season. I also hear that it's Nike sponsored. Can anyone confirm this?

Paneru
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM

We all know?
Mighty hefty assumption, eh?

You have proof at this very point in time
that what you say is true?
Where is this info and how Serena would be adding such infractions
against society?

May we ask what you wear, what you eat, what your home is furnished with,
what you drive, ect...

Come off the high horse!
Find another hobby! :cool:

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Interesting topic. And IC that Griff has adopted my penchant for Musical Metaphors. :p Now to broadly address some of the points herein:

One Shouldn't Single Serena out; nor Treat The question as off-limits where she's involved (forget who started The Thread or why, this is about the bigger picture). Blacks have every right to get rich; AND 2B criticized re. how if relevant.

Griff essentially gave a "....without sin cast the first stone" arguement re. what the rest of us buy. Fair enough, and I've Personally Participated in some boycotts. BUT: nobody pays us to wear stuff (and "make it cool" etc.) as they do with athletes.

BTF and bw give the old "trickle down" arguement. OK, except That This helps keep those countries servile and/or dictatorial. (Remember That The world almost unamimously rejected the exact same arguement re. the 1980's embargo of apartheid South Africa).

So I don't want to single out any one player, though Nike is probably the worst as they push the "Exploitation Envelope" and make promises that still fall short of a (Local) Living wage for a FAMILY (Of Only 4, BTW) then lie about that, etc.

Car Key Boi
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:23 PM

YUO'RE ONE OF THOSE LEFTY LIBERAL FUCKTARDS, RIGHT?

THOUGHT SO

WORD

SERENA=PRO TENNIS PLAYER

OBJECTIVE OF PRO TENNIS PLAYERS=MAKE MADD LOOT

NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILTY TO CAMPAIGN ON BEHALF OF POOR KIDDIES WORKING IN SWEAT SHOPS

NEXT TIME ACT LIKE YUO KNOW, SON

DEAL

ys
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:31 PM
YUO'RE ONE OF THOSE LEFTY LIBERAL FUCKTARDS, RIGHT?

THOUGHT SO

WORD

SERENA=PRO TENNIS PLAYER

OBJECTIVE OF PRO TENNIS PLAYERS=MAKE MADD LOOT

NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILTY TO CAMPAIGN ON BEHALF OF POOR KIDDIES WORKING IN SWEAT SHOPS

NEXT TIME ACT LIKE YUO KNOW, SON

DEALWhy can't you ever be kind, polite and sensitive, and aware of CapsLock button existance?

calabar
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:32 PM
So, now that you have gotten your 15 minutes of fame (more like infamy), what's next for you?

-Sonic-
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Oh pah-leeeeeeease.

I for one know that I would take MILLIONS of dollars to wear nike. Damn, I'd prob take just thousands.

If that makes me socially irresponsible then so be it.

BigTennisFan
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:35 PM
"BTF and bw give the old "trickle down" arguement. OK, except That This helps keep those countries servile and/or dictatorial. (Remember That The world almost unamimously rejected the exact same arguement re. the 1980's embargo of apartheid South Africa)."

But the only reason the "world" rejected that argument was because of Blacks being oppressed by whites. Now that blacks are being oppresed by blacks in various places, where in the hell is the world?

It's very easy to talk shit if you have a job that pays well.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Okay, which question? - "By wearing the NIKE logo on her shirt is Serena saying she will take 'profit: at all cost'?

How socially responsible is that of Serena?"

If you want both questions answered, my answer for the first one is, I don't know, that is a question only Serena can answer, as I nor anyone else can read her mind or speculate on her motives. If you want what I think on the matter, it is not up to me to make judgments about what she does or doesn't do.

Regarding the second question, I have to ask you a question to answer it. What is your definition of "social responsibility"? :confused:

BigTennisFan
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:39 PM
kosmikgroove says:
"With greater public presence comes greater responsibility."

Excuse me? :confused: Who says so? You made that up. Just because you make up something doesn't mean that it's valid. :o

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM
"BTF and bw give the old "trickle down" arguement. OK, except That This helps keep those countries servile and/or dictatorial. (Remember That The world almost unamimously rejected the exact same arguement re. the 1980's embargo of apartheid South Africa)."

But the only reason the "world" rejected that argument was because of Blacks being oppressed by whites. Now that blacks are being oppresed by blacks in various places, where in the hell is the world?

It's very easy to talk shit if you have a job that pays well.
Hey Worf, We agree here. Specifically, I'm sure you know about "blood diamonds" that fund wars in Africa. Those diamonds are mainly processed through guess what city? Yep, Antwerp! (I wonder how many are in racquets players have won there). :(

BigTennisFan
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Hey Worf, We agree here. Specifically, I'm sure you know about "blood diamonds" that fund wars in Africa. Those diamonds are mainly processed through guess what city? Yep, Antwerp! (I wonder how many are in racquets players have won there). :(

I don't know JR (didn't you get shot on Dallas :o ). We need the Vulcans to show up and instruct us on how to eliminate poverty and war on earth.
But we'll have to develope warp capability first. :)

Ballbuster
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:53 PM

Please help me here?

Are there any poor sweat-shops on the European Continent? If not why? and who are the chief people exploiting these people.

vogus
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM
It's not that Serena should be bashed for taking 40 million from Nike, it's more that Serena gives the IMPRESSION that she is the kind of person who doesn't care about anything except Hollywood, making money and glorifying herself. Which IMO is not socially responsible, but on the other hand Serena is far being the only celebrity in society doing this, and far from the worst case of it.

I think that Serena making millions advertising for McDonalds is worse than her wearing Nike - McDonalds is a major profiteer of a product that is responsible for obesity and health problems (including among black Americans) right here in the U.S. A black role model as rich as Serena should be doing non-profit commercials telling people to get the hell off that McDonalds trash, instead she's just cashing in on it.

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:06 PM
RB, good point that ppl like Phil Knight (head of Nike) gets mentioned but not bashed in threads like this.

Vogus, good point about celebrity endorsers of unhealthy food. (Just don't bash orange juice)! :p

BTF, you sure hid behind the cloaking device re. blood diamonds financing the weapons that have killed countless Africans!

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:08 PM
It's not that Serena should be bashed for taking 40 million from Nike, it's more that Serena gives the IMPRESSION that she is the kind of person who doesn't care about anything except Hollywood, making money and glorifying herself. Which IMO is not socially responsible, but on the other hand Serena is far being the only celebrity in society doing this, and far from the worst case of it.

I think that Serena making millions advertising for McDonalds is worse than her wearing Nike - McDonalds is a major profiteer of a product that is responsible for obesity and health problems (including among black Americans) right here in the U.S. A black role model as rich as Serena should be doing non-profit commercials telling people to get the hell off that McDonalds trash, instead she's just cashing in on it.

She likes McDonald's food, so do I. If no one famous endorsed McDonald's I'd eat it. If every famous person did non-profit commercials telling people to leave it alone, I'd still be eating it and so would a lot of other people. Hell, Oprah didn't effect the beef business, so I don't think Serena will either. Why is it that the people in this country gets on their high horse and judge celebrities for not being socially responsible, when it's really not their responsibility to police the world on social mores. Be responsible for yourself and your own children. No one will ever live up to anyone else's ideal no matter what. We are all human TRYING to be perfect, but that's something that's just not going to happen. Everytime people have looked up to someone famous for something, they've been let down.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Vogus,
I, for one, am going to be suing Serena because her commercials made me pull over through the Mickey D's drive thru and get some of those delicious fries. As a result, I probably gained a lb. My driving there had nothing to do with the fact that I was hungry as hell or the big-ass golden arches sign right in front of the restaurant. Serena's to blame.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Vogus,
I, for one, am going to be suing Serena because her commercials made me pull over through the Mickey D's drive thru and get some of those delicious fries. As a result, I probably gained a lb. My driving there had nothing to do with the fact that I was hungry as hell or the big-ass golden arches sign right in front of the restaurant. Serena's to blame.
:haha:

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:17 PM
In defense of Vogus, I Think The point is celebrities getting paid to promote unhealthy behavior. Here's a favorite example of mine: ppl don't KEEP smoking because the tour was originally sponsored by Philip Morris (maker of Virginia Slims). But many START Smoking because of "cool" images like that, Marlboro Men, etc.

Martian Willow
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:17 PM
...Serena can't help it if the stuff she endorses is crap...or if people are stupid enough to buy it... :)

servenrichie
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:19 PM
:yawn:

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Dang, griffin shut this thread down.. LMAO at the HANK WILLIAMS song!

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Jolly,
In defense of people with common sense: so it's not the fault of the actual companies producing the product? More of the blame lies @ the feet of the stars who endorse the products? Case in point: everybody has fits because Alex Rodriguez signed a contract for like. .. .584858400 million dollars. We are yet to say anything about the guy who had that kind of money to pay him in the first place. Where did he get loot like that?

Sam L
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:24 PM
She also wears real fur, unlike Venus who wears fake. :sad:

I like Serena but she needs to change some of things in her life. Otherwise, she will head down the same path as J-Lo and Beyonce etc... ---> Celebrity trash, that's socially irresponsible.

faste5683
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:27 PM

You know, there's always a flip side:

'Job opportunities'

But not everyone in Indonesia is happy about the campaign against Nike and Adidas being pursued by human-rights activists, as there are fears it could scare away foreign investors.

"Workers in multi-national foreign companies in Asia are much better off than the workers working for domestic companies," said Rizal Mallarangen, a leading political economist at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Jakarta.

"For me, the first priority is stable income for the workers. Indonesia is a very poor country, it is in a crisis. There are millions of people without jobs.

"For those workers in these foreign factories, the multi-national factories, the question is always the alternative - without that job, where would I go?

Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1860217.stm

It is important to gather as much information as we can before we decide what is "right". :wavey:

Kabezya
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:30 PM

:rolleyes: If it's the case about being socially responsible, no tennis player should endorse any atheletic product. If you want to take Serena to task, take every and all players to task for the same reason.

Car Key Boi
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:31 PM
lol@ ALL THE TENNIS TARDS WHO THINK THAT SERENA SHOULD HAVE A "SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY" http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif

POOR PEOPLE=MORANS http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif

O WNED!! EVEN BEFORE YUO CLICKED! http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif

Kabezya
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Why is it that because Serena is Black she has more responsiblity over lets say a white tennis player to be socially responsible? Why does that set her apart?

Serendy Willick
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:38 PM

No Serena knows damn well that she is doing just what every other athlete in this world is doing, getting hers. She probably knows that the people that are bitching and crying foul over McDonalds are the ones that go there 200 times a week because they are too lazy to cook or eat healthy homestyle meals for their kids and families or are looking for 200 million dollars because they are too lazy to get their asses and go outside and play or ride a bike or do something. Serena,like me probably thinks that people have control and willpower over THEMSELVES not anything or anyone else. BTW, why dont you tell Britney Spears and Justin Pussylake to do those same non-profit commercials?:rolleyes:

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Why is it that because Serena is Black she has more responsiblity over lets say a white tennis player to be socially responsible? Why does that set her apart?
On that you're correct, she has no ADDED responsility. (But no LESS either).

Pureracket, I agree with you about these companies and their moguls (like Phil Knight of Nike, for instance).

faste, there will ALWAYS be ppl like that (often indirectly paid by grants from the expoiter companies to Institute of ........) happy to give them an "intellectual figleaf".

faste5683
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Please help me here?

Are there any poor sweat-shops on the European Continent?

I don't know, but Europe certainly *uses* sweatshops.

http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_29/b3638181.htm

:wavey:

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM
She is very socially responsible. She is helping people who would have no jobs at all, have some way of earning something.

Let's say that you are making 500 dollars a week and I come along and offer you 1500 dollars a week. Would you take it?

Now let's say that you are digging through trash cans 16 hours a day for trash to sell that earns you $.65 a day. Then I come along and offer you a job sitting at a sewing machine for 10 hours a day that pays you $5.00 a day. In which situation would you be better off?

Wow! your ignorance
is scarey!

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Great post!

faste5683
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:12 PM
faste, there will ALWAYS be ppl like that (often indirectly paid by grants from the expoiter companies to Institute of ........) happy to give them an "intellectual figleaf".

LOL. I tend to agree with you, but I enjoy researching as well. One man's intellectual figleaf is another's "cold, hard fact."

:wavey:

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:14 PM
She also wears real fur, unlike Venus who wears fake. :sad:

I like Serena but she needs to change some of things in her life. Otherwise, she will head down the same path as J-Lo and Beyonce etc... ---> Celebrity trash, that's socially irresponsible.

Great post!

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Serena is a tennis player the last time I checked. Not a politician or social case worker.

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I started this thread, because I had the fortune of visiting a sweatshop in Latin America. They are horrible, horrible PLACES where young women (some of them as young as 14) work 15 hour days for pennies a day.

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:20 PM
I started this thread, because I had the fortune of visiting a sweatshop in Latin America. They are horrible, horrible PLACES where young women (some of them as young as 14) work 15 hour days for pennies a day.

So with this abundant research, you must have more names on your list of evil doers other than just Serena and Nike. Or has your research not gone that far?

Perhaps you can donate your own money to these places to take up for the slack Serena and Nike aren't compensating for. Maybe if you are socially responsible you won't feel so bad that Serena and Nike aren't :rolleyes:

I'm sure these young women in the sweat shops would appreciate your effort and money.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:25 PM
for-sure,
What country in Latin America, honey?

arcus
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Martina navratilova turned down a milk commercial cos she doesnt drink milk and thought that it would be hypocritical. She does not get that many endorsements.

Without being specific about any player, cos no fan likes to see the star they admire being criticized, i think that when you are very rich and successful, you have the luxury of picking and choosing the companies that you endorse.

And "endorse" is the operative word. Its using your influence on people who admire you to recommend products........
Thats what stars do. They represent a company and promote them. If the company is known to not be ethical then, IMHO, the star shares some blame, cos they are being paid out of money made form unethical behaviour.

That applies to all celebrities who endorse products with an unethical dimension.

It also applies to all of us who invest in bad companies and make money out of them.

It is not always easy for stars to know what a company does, but if I were in that situation I'd like to think I'd hunt around for the best company to recommend, especially if I could afford to.

Theres nothing specific about SW here. What I say applies to all celebrities, IMO

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:26 PM
for-sure,
What country in Latin America, honey?

Colombia

kosmikgroove
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:28 PM
kosmikgroove says:
"With greater public presence comes greater responsibility."

Excuse me? :confused: Who says so? You made that up. Just because you make up something doesn't mean that it's valid. :o

let me put it simply: the more "famous" you are, the more people recognize you due to publicity. therefore, your actions prove to have a lot more effect on the general public than you and me. that's a fact. however, accepting that responsibility is a choice. apathy is a common and totally understadable reaction since it is nearly impossible to be cut and dry on every aspect of your life when under a microscope.

arcus
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Serena is a tennis player the last time I checked. Not a politician or social case worker.

Noblesse Oblige.............
in other words, along with the benefits of being famous and influential come responsibilities. If people care about what you do and you influence people (and you make money on the back of it), then you have to face up to the fact that you can do a lot of good and a lot of harm. Goes without saying that most people want to do good. Question is will they try to be good and earn les money?

People care so much about famous people that they are never "just" an actor, actress sportsperson whatever. "I just play tennis" isnt good enough.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Great post!
You seem to pick posts as being great that seem to agree with you. Instead of asking a question regarding our opinion of Serena's actions (I guess that was your question, since you have refused to clarify as per my post), why didn't you just come out and state your opinion and see who would agree with you?

I'll tell you what's scary, it's people like you who tend to pick and choose who to judge, based on God knows what. If you went to Columbia as you say, why choose only Serena to judge? When someone else tried to bring up other athletes you dismissed them. Why the penchant for Serena?

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Noblesse Oblige.............
in other words, along with the benefits of being famous and influential come responsibilities. If people care about what you do and you influence people (and you make money on the back of it), then you have to face up to the fact that you can do a lot of good and a lot of harm. Goes without saying that most people want to do good. Question is will they try to be good and earn les money?

People care so much about famous people that they are never "just" an actor, actress sportsperson whatever. "I just play tennis" isnt good enough.

I care about Serena because of what she does. Play tennis and play it well.

I do not follow Serena and her career because of what she wears, who she endorses.

If that is the case Serena should also not eat fruits and vegetables because of farm labor and workers who are not compensated correctly and live in awful conditions.

Serena should also not sign any autographs unless she knows the paper printed is recycled.

Serena should also not drive a car because it uses oil and the oil helps in pollution of the earth.

Serena should also not play in Antwerp because its tournament is associated with Diamonds and Diamonds coming from Africa use child labor, kill thousands, and they fund child armies.

Serena has so much to live up to. Signing with Nike must really show what a "bad" person Serena is. Not matter the charities she donates to, the functions she attends for low income and disadvantaged children, and no matter the example simply of being Serena that she's given to hundreds if not thousands of kids here in the US and abroad. Yep, signing a contract with Nike makes Serena evil and negates everything good and decent she's ever done or brought to and outside of the tennis world. Amazing what damage one tennis player, one woman, one black woman could do.

Such responsiblity she alone carries :rolleyes:

Edited: I have to amend some of my statements. I do not want to seem rude, nor do I want to send any anger towards you acrus that is not mine to throw your way. I am just a bit out of joint with the premise of this thread and of course how I have chosen to interpret it. I do not mean to insult.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:55 PM

I do not follow Serena and her career because of what she wears, who she endorses.

If that is the case Serena should also not eat fruits and vegetables because of farm labor and workers who are not compensated correctly and live in awful conditions.

Serena should also not sign any autographs unless she knows the paper printed is recycled.

Serena should also not drive a car because it uses oil and the oil helps in pollution of the earth.

Serena should also not play in Antwerp because its tournament is associated with Diamonds and Diamonds coming from Africa use child labor, kill thousands, and they fund child armies.

Serena has so much to live up to. Signing with Nike must really show what a "bad" person Serena is. Not matter the charities she donates to, the functions she attends for low income and disadvantaged children, and no matter the example simply of being Serena that she's given to hundreds if not thousands of kids here in the US and abroad. Yep, signing a contract with Nike makes Serena evil and negates everything good and decent she's ever done or brought to and outside of the tennis world. Amazing what damage one tennis player, one woman, one black woman could do.

Edited: I have to amend some of my statements. I do not want to seem rude, nor do I want to send any anger towards you acrus that is not mine to throw your way. I am just a bit out of joint with the premise of this thread and of course how I have chosen to interpret it. I do not mean to insult.
YEAH!!! :rocker: :rocker2: :rocker: :rocker2: RIGHT ON!!!

faste5683
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:01 AM

Yes, and a tennis player who makes huge amounts of money. Now, I'm assuming that Serena has a tax attorney, (maybe she does her own taxes, who knows?), and I'm assuming that she pays her local, state, and federal taxes. She also, along with Venus, is the main breadwinner for the immediate family. This in itself would make Serena more "socially responsible" than 90% of tax paying Americans, as her huge income also generates a huge tax bill. The U.S. goverment then uses Serena's tax payment for a myraid of "social" projects, such as road maintenence, public education, etc. In other words, Serena's personal success has become a "cottage industry", benefiting
society (in a monetary way)more than if she had become an anthropologist or librarian.

I think I'm losing it... :banana:

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Sydnil, re. the arcus post you quoted, if ANY player with a big following were killed in a plane crash, etc. the mourning threads here would be huge. So yes, there ARE responsibilities that "go with The Territory".

Re. your own, the Antwerp issue has been "studiously avoided" since I first raised it. I'm not saying players shouldn't go there just because of what's only a glorified ad for diamonds, like a TV commercial. But I'd LOVE for the winner to say "No Thanks" re. the diamond-studded racquet.

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Sydnil, re. the arcus post you quoted, if ANY player with a big following were killed in a plane crash, etc. the mourning threads here would be huge. So yes, there ARE responsibilities that "go with The Territory".

Re. your own, the Antwerp issue has been "studiously avoided" since I first raised it. I'm not saying players shouldn't go there just because of what's only a glorified ad for diamonds, like a TV commercial. But I'd LOVE for the winner to say "No Thanks" re. the diamond-studded racquet.

In no way, shape or form do I deny that Serena does not have any social responsiblity. Everyone does, we all do regardless of how much money we make or do not make. It is of course easier for Serena to be a voice that at times could take a collective because of her social position as a tennis player. But I reject the calling out of Serena primarily to make this point as I reject the notion that simply having a Nike contract makes Serena a person who is not socially responsible.

As you have noted regarding Antwerp, if it is the case about social responsiblity all players entered should be judged as is the attempt on Serena now, and the winner further in accepting the award. This if social awareness and responsibility is a serious issue not limited to certain players and certain causes.

I have no problem with the responsibilities that come with fame, but let us be fair about it at least.

Car Key Boi
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:19 AM

A LOT OF PEOPLE MOURNED THE DEATH OF SERENA'S SISTER

DID SERENA'S SISTER HAVE A "SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY" TO NOT GET MIXED UP IN THUG LIFE?

YUO REALLY ARE A FUCKING MORAN SOMETIMES http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:24 AM
This if social awareness and responsibility is a serious issue not limited to certain players and certain causes.

I have no problem with the responsibilities that come with fame, but let us be fair about it at least.
I totally agree! Not only did I say in the post you quoted "ANY" re. a big-name player being mourned differently than a "Mere Mortal" but in an earlier post said "...no MORE, but no LESS" re. Serena's burden here compared to other big name athletes, etc.

arcus
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Look at this issue from another perspective.

Large companies exercise "moral" judgements all the time when they choose who to sponsor.

For years they failed to endorse martina navratilova because they did not want their companies to be associated with a lesbian.

Of course that might have had more to do with the moral of the dollar.

Meanwhile they showered money on anna k. Not because she was a really good tennis player, (which she was, a fact that many forget), but lets face it, more so because she physically beautiful. smart thinking business wise, but again jsut the moral of the dollar. I know thats what makes the world go round, I just wish i didnt have to bring up my kids in a world where it seems like money is everyones bottom line, and everyones principals can be overcome for a price.

harloo
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:26 AM
What a ignorant thread. Lindsay, Daniela, etc have been wearing Nike longer than Serena. As a matter of fact serena has not even started wearing Nike on court yet, she has not played. Agassi, Pete and a whole host of tennis players wore Nike before Serena, but did we hear the social responsibility bullshit then?

Some people never cease to amaze me on this board, what a stupid thread. The OP is a waste of space.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:28 AM
A LOT OF PEOPLE MOURNED THE DEATH OF SERENA'S SISTER

DID SERENA'S SISTER HAVE A "SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY" TO NOT GET MIXED UP IN THUG LIFE?

YUO REALLY ARE A FUCKING MORAN SOMETIMES http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif
Yetunde Price was getting a ride home from a FRIEND who took that detour to buy drugs. Please give a shred of evidence that SHE was "mixed up in thug life"? :rolleyes:

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:30 AM
I totally agree! Not only did I say in the post you quoted "ANY" re. a big-name player being mourned differently than a "Mere Mortal" but in an earlier post said "...no MORE, but no LESS" re. Serena's burden here compared to other big name athletes, etc.

I fear I may have been heavily on the support Serena train no matter what :) But the post raised an interesting question and one I haven't truly looked closely at before.

In terms of the mourning, I think times of true struggle and tragedy are the main times if not only when any player is on the same ground as another and sympathy has no borders.

I agree Serena's burden is no more, no less than any other. To this day I wish she had not signed on with Nike in part of Nike's past and who knows, their present.

arcus
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:42 AM

With respect.

Many people do buy products cos stars endorse them, maybe not u, but if they didn't the companies would not be ponying up with the $s.

What a player (again I am NOT singling out one player) is PAID to advertise and support is not at all the same as the paper a fan puts under their nose to sign. Its all about taking money form someone to endorse something that might not be moral.

That said, SW or any other star would be a better person in my eyes if they DID think about the food they ate ect and if someone else was wrongfully exploited to get it.

BigTennisFan
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:12 AM
RB, good point that ppl like Phil Knight (head of Nike) gets mentioned but not bashed in threads like this.

Vogus, good point about celebrity endorsers of unhealthy food. (Just don't bash orange juice)! :p

BTF, you sure hid behind the cloaking device re. blood diamonds financing the weapons that have killed countless Africans!
In truth, JR, I haven't kept up with the diamond thing. But I tend to put the blame for Africans killing Africans squarely on the shoulders of those doing the killing. I think enough of them as human beings to hold them accountable for their own actions and to not patronize them by putting the blame elsewhere. :o

BigTennisFan
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Wow! your ignorance
is scarey!
Again, it's easy for you to talk shit, but I don't see you refuting it. :rolleyes:

BigTennisFan
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:22 AM
In defense of Vogus, I Think The point is celebrities getting paid to promote unhealthy behavior. Here's a favorite example of mine: ppl don't KEEP smoking because the tour was originally sponsored by Philip Morris (maker of Virginia Slims). But many START Smoking because of "cool" images like that, Marlboro Men, etc.
Sorry, JR. When I tried to sneak a cigarette when I was about 10 years old, I damn near choked to death. I had enough sense then to say, something's not right with this.

I give everybody credit for having at least as much common sense as I have. If they kept on until they got it "right", more power.

Car Key Boi
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Yetunde Price was getting a ride home from a FRIEND who took that detour to buy drugs. Please give a shred of evidence that SHE was "mixed up in thug life"? :rolleyes:
STILL PRACTICING 'SELECTIVE OBJECTIVITY' I SEE http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif

Diya
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Is Serena a Socially Responsible individual ?

:lol: Good question :lol:

Black Mamba.
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Serena is a postive rolemodel who hasn't been arressted and continues to be a postive rolemodel not just for African American kids, but all kids. So to answer your question Serena is a socially responsible individual because she is a good rolemodel.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:05 AM
I chose Serena because she is the self-proclaimed goddess of Tennis. The alpha and the omega of the Sport. The player who can beat all of the tour without even trying. Tennis began as a sport when she first stepped onto the court, and it will end when she walks off. Once she stops playing tennis; tennis will become a ‘minor’ that will get no media attention.
Why a tennis player? Because this is a tennis board
Why a Female Tennis Player? Because this is a WTA board
Why Serena? See above

kosmikgroove
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Is Serena a Socially Responsible individual ?

:lol: Good question :lol:

i think the more important question is:
Can you say "Is Serena a socially responsible individual" ten times fast without messing up? ;)

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:25 AM
STILL PRACTICING 'SELECTIVE OBJECTIVITY' I SEE http://carkeyboi.com/dump/lol.gif
Yetunde can't speak for herself, so put up (or shut up)! Your evidence, please?

Infiniti2001
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Oh no, Serena is the :devil:'s spawn :rolleyes: Actually almost anyone who buys store-bought products is supporting sweatshops in a way. No single high-profile athlete can change that. :tape: The most high-profile person in the U.S. (President Bush for those who have been under a rock) and his party in Congress actually rewards American corporations that outsource their jobs abroad through tax breaks . THAT is the outrage- not Serena's or any other athletes' endorsements so get over yourself for-sure :rolleyes: :fiery:

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:38 AM
I chose Serena because she is the self-proclaimed goddess of Tennis. The alpha and the omega of the Sport. The player who can beat all of the tour without even trying. Tennis began as a sport when she first stepped onto the court, and it will end when she walks off. Once she stops playing tennis; tennis will become a ‘minor’ that will get no media attention.
Why a tennis player? Because this is a tennis board
Why a Female Tennis Player? Because this is a WTA board
Why Serena? See above

Did I miss something? When did Serena proclaim herself the goddess of tennis. Do you have a reference for this quote? If so, I'd like to see it.

vettipooh
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Serena doesn't have to proclaim anything! When she plays, her racquet does the talking.Don't put words in her mouth........they might come back to haunt you.

William Hunt
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:33 AM

I am not a Serena fan at all, but this is ridiculous. Should every sportsplayer who is sponsored by Nike or Adidas be called not socialy responsible ?

William Hunt
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:39 AM
YUO'RE ONE OF THOSE LEFTY LIBERAL FUCKTARDS, RIGHT?...
And U are one of those extreme-right-wing religious-freaky-conservative George Bush voters right ?

Greenout
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:50 AM
This is really an unfair topic. We're just as guilty as all the mentioned
sports stars for wearing the clothes, shoes, etc... We're the rich
consumers that buy products made in new world countries. Are you
willing to give up watching your flat screen tv's? etc... How many
items in your room, house, dorm are products made from new
world countries? Well?? practically everything, right?

Alot of the sports stars have their charity projects and try to
be socially responsible. Some give more than others, some do
it for the tax incentives... I usually find tennis players very
un-political; but that's not to say that their socially irresponsible
and couldn't give a shit about anything? Movie stars..Paris Hilton
Justin Timberlake get more media coverage, they should be doing
something more with their air time than Serena. Serena's
an inspiration to alot of girls, isn't this good enough? Isn't this
a type of social responsiblity?

vogus
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:56 AM
JR, i think that CKB's point is, Yentunde Price was riding around in a car in a known L.A. crack dealing neighborhood, with a known criminal, at 4:30 in the morning. This was a bad choice on her part to say the least. Although she wasn't guilty of anything criminal, the company she was keeping obviously had something to do with her very unfortunate fate.

Infiniti2001
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:01 AM
This is really an unfair topic. We're just as guilty as all the mentioned
sports stars for wearing the clothes, shoes, etc... We're the rich
consumers that buy products made in new world countries. Are you
willing to give up watching your flat screen tv's? etc... How many
items in your room, house, dorm are products made from new
world countries? Well?? practically everything, right?

Alot of the sports stars have their charity projects and try to
be socially responsible. Some give more than others, some do
it for the tax incentives... I usually find tennis players very
un-political; but that's not to say that their socially irresponsible
and couldn't give a shit about anything? Movie stars..Paris Hilton
Justin Timberlake get more media coverage, they should be doing
something more with their air time than Serena. Serena's
an inspiration to alot of girls, isn't this good enough? Isn't this
a type of social responsiblity?

Exactly!! Some folk need to get lives instead of all their gripping. No one is forced to buy Nike products. Then again the thread starter got exactly what he wanted-- he pretty much spent the day ragging on Serena and her sister UGH

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Exactly!! Some folk need to get lives instead of all their gripping. No one is forced to buy Nike products. Then again the thread starter got exactly what he wanted-- he pretty much spent the day ragging on Serena and her sister UGH

Plus, he's a coward because he wouldn't answer or respond to anything that would jeopardize his argument or bury his theory. He would either dismiss it or not answer. I can't stand people like that who judge others and then won't defend or give valid reasons for their accusations. What a wanker!

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:10 AM
In its current form, this is a stupid thread...since Serena is no more culpable in supporting morally-dubious companies than many other players.

I don't actually think that we are all just as culpable as they are, as some have argued. As individual consumers we might not have a lot of choice, since most of the major companies have similar employment practices. By contrast people who would be millionaires anyway (just from prize money) do have a choice about whether, when and under what conditions to accept offers of a lot of extra loot. But I'm not going to get bogged down in a thread that's just aimed at annoying fans of Serena.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:17 AM
:cat: Cybelou is confused. Meow Meow!

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:57 PM
JR, i think that CKB's point is, Yentunde Price was riding around in a car in a known L.A. crack dealing neighborhood, with a known criminal, at 4:30 in the morning. This was a bad choice on her part to say the least. Although she wasn't guilty of anything criminal, the company she was keeping obviously had something to do with her very unfortunate fate.
She needed a ride home (from a "bad choice of company" a mistake a Certain Compatriot of yours has made, Too - Twice)! :( He was driving; he decided to take a detour to buy drugs. But to CKB that makes Yetunde An Accomplice. Notice how said Boi STFU re. providing a whit of evidence, by attempting to change the subject! :rolleyes:

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM
In its current form, this is a stupid thread...since Serena is no more culpable in supporting morally-dubious companies than many other players.

Which (Joui, Greeny, and Infiniti) is why I've personally tried to broaden it Beyond Both Serena, And Also to include not only tennis players! ;)

DunkMachine
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
I started this thread, because I had the fortune of visiting a sweatshop in Latin America. They are horrible, horrible PLACES where young women (some of them as young as 14) work 15 hour days for pennies a day.Atleast they have a job, you might want to follow by example.

Serendy Willick
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM

And you just assume that he was there to buy drugs, even though this still hasnt been proven?:rolleyes:

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:22 PM
And you just assume that he was there to buy drugs, even though this still hasnt been proven?:rolleyes:
Correct, no proof, I withdraw any "definitive allegation". But he did go to a place @ a time which suggests a strong possibility of being a buyer, did NOT rush Yetunde to a hospital, etc. (Not "exemplary conduct" to put it politely).

However, the main point I made was to refute the "guilt by association" crap that a male friend's (stupid or worse) actions somehow prove CKB's supposition: that Yetunde was "involved" rather than simply being (an RN) getting a ride home.

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:44 PM
:lol: what a :bs: thread, I knew there was a reason why I stayed away from it ;)