PDA

View Full Version : Antwerp--Can Venus 'threepeat' against the Belgians?

vettipooh
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
2002 defeated Justine, 2003 defeated Kim. Can she do it again? I get the feeling that if she doesn't do it this time, she can say good-bye to that diamond racket.I hope she gives it her utmost best and takes the racket home this trip. I worry about her constant injuries setting her back. GOOD LUCK VENUS!!!

fleemke³
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:03 PM
If Venus gets into the final she wins :)

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I think she and Justine will purposely end up on opposite sides.

Nabalonge
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Winning it all would be ideal, but I'm thinking more of how Venus overall will look and how she performs - her body and movement, etc. If she is able to win, that is cool. But I hope whatever the result here, it helps to further solidify and set up Venus for a great 2004 season.

joao
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Even if she doesn't win this time (which it's pretty much certain, seeing how she's come back+injury), then she will still have 2 other shots at it ... she has to win it 3 times in 5 years to get those diamonds ... if there's someone who has a shot at those babies it's definitely Venus!

LindsayRocks89
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:10 PM
if she is healthy then i think shell win, and i hope she does, Go Venus!!!!

Joachim
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Venus? haha She is so bad!!!

lizchris
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:27 PM
She's bad?

That's why she has more GS singles titles than both Belgians combined.:rolleyes:

If Venus getst to the final, she will win. I don't care about the new fitness of Justine or Kim's play' she beat Justine last year in the AO semifinals when she had this new fitness and beat Kim in the Wimbeldon semifinals when she was injured. For some reason, they cannot beat her, injured or not.

BTW, she has the best chance of getting that diamond racquet since she only has to win between this year and 2006.

flyingmachine
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:12 PM
What ever happens In Antwerp, I hope it will be a good game.
But I would like to seems Venus vs Justine :drool:

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:18 PM
It ends here. Look at the respective forms of Venus and Justine. Henin Hardenne will stop Venus, if she gets that far.

Jericho
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I just want Venus to improve her results 3r at Oz, QF in Tokyo, so hopefully a semi or final, but a win would be awesome

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Venus will win, because this, short of her 4 GRAND SLAMS SINGLES TITLES would be the biggest win of her career. The only player who has a shot to beat Venus (if she's at least 50% for the tournament) is Venus, or Serena, but since she's not playing..... the diamonds belong to queen VEE!
* Isn't it interesting that so many top ten players are playing a tier II, and their only real incentive is stopping Venus? HOW CATTY AND PETTY!

Diya
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Are Lisa Raymond , Vera Z , Meghan S or Maggie Maleeva playing ? ;) :tape:

mimbari24
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Can Venus win it? Of course! But she's injured so I'm not expecting too much of her. I'd be happy with a semi, and she'll have plenty more chances to beat the belgians even if she loses to one of them (she's only had a week's prep).

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Venus will win, because this, short of her 4 GRAND SLAMS SINGLES TITLES would be the biggest win of her career. The only player who has a shot to beat Venus (if she's at least 50% for the tournament) is Venus, or Serena, but since she's not playing..... the diamonds belong to queen VEE!
* Isn't it interesting that so many top ten players are playing a tier II, and their only real incentive is stopping Venus? HOW CATTY AND PETTY!

Venus can win at 50%?

bandabou
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:04 AM
If she´s properly prepared and injury-free, she could do some serious damage to the Diamond industry...You can´t her out. She´s like a 8-match winning streak here and the last 4 in straigth-sets.

Knizzle
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Venus only 18 games en route to the title last year. No one won more than 4 games in a set. I think she wants it.

tennisIlove09
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Instead of calling it a "threepeat", call it a "Veepeat" ;)

Never doubt the Queen's quest for Diamonds.

Jakeev
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:04 AM
If Venus is not injured the only player I think she has to worry about is Justine. I mean who knows perhaps Kim might get her game together but if anyone who will go out there and give it 100% will be Justine.

So the doubters of both fans, don't say Venus can't win but don't say Justine can't win either. It will be interesting either way.

saki
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Well, I rather suspect that the incentive for Kim and Justine is playing in Belgium. You know, their home country? Most players like to play at home...

I'm not sure that this would be the biggest win of her career short of her 4 GSs as I think she'd prefer an Olympic gold, since she could get the diamonds anytime in the next three tournaments.

As to whether or not Venus can threepeat, well obviously she has a good chance to. I think I agree with Fleemke that if she gets to the final she will almost certainly win, but as at the Oz, she might be more vulnerable in the early rounds.

SerialKiller#69
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
I think Venus' wants this really bad but Justine will take care of her easily. Kim won't budge too.

:cat: meow meow!

tennisIlove09
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:29 AM
If Venus is healthy, I see her winning. Her best is better then the field of Antwerp. Of course, she has never faced Justine. But of course, Justine hasn't faced a player of Venus' stature since the 2003 Aussie. ;)

I just hope her leg injury is under control! :(

Serendy Willick
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Venus will win, she will beat both Belgians in straight sets and continue to fight up the rankings. She will shock everybody.

shap_half
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I think there seems to be a certain trend here within the Venus Williams entourage. Wake up, Venus has just recently gotten over some injury time and I think that maybe instead of forcing the idea that she'll win everything she enters, start being more realistic. So many of you, her fans, thought she'd win Oz, but didn't. And at Tokyo she had to pull out of the tournament due to another injury. I think that Venus has a great chance at winning those diamonds, but right now, I think it is more realistic to think that Justine and Kim has better chances at winning this tournament this year. Both of them made the final and both lost to Venus, but the Venus of 2002 and 2003 are head and shoulder above the Venus of now and the Justine and Kim of 2002 and 2003 are not as good nor as consistent as they are now. Justine has a 10 match win streak going, I doubt she'd as easily give that up.

Paneru
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Diamonds are to Venus as Plastic Surgery is to Joan Rivers

Venus is going to do all she possibly can
to win! She's going to fight as much as she possibly can! :)

Antwerp Feb 17 2002
1 V Williams-WC(1) bye
2 V Williams-WC(1) - A Kournikova 7-5 6-0
QF V Williams-WC(1) - S Farina Elia(5) 6-3 0-1
SF V Williams-WC(1) - A Mauresmo(3) 7-6(4) 6-0
F V Williams-WC(1) - J Henin-Hardenne(2) 6-3 5-7 6-3

Antwerp Feb 16 2003
1 V Williams(1) bye
2 V Williams(1) - M Matevzic 6-1 6-1
QF V Williams(1) - T Pisnik 6-1 6-4
SF V Williams(1) - D Hantuchova(4) 6-1 6-4
F V Williams(1) - K Clijsters(2) 6-2 6-4

VEEPEAT!!!! :bounce:

Serendy Willick
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I think there seems to be a certain trend here within the Venus Williams entourage. Wake up, Venus has just recently gotten over some injury time and I think that maybe instead of forcing the idea that she'll win everything she enters, start being more realistic. So many of you, her fans, thought she'd win Oz, but didn't. And at Tokyo she had to pull out of the tournament due to another injury. I think that Venus has a great chance at winning those diamonds, but right now, I think it is more realistic to think that Justine and Kim has better chances at winning this tournament this year. Both of them made the final and both lost to Venus, but the Venus of 2002 and 2003 are head and shoulder above the Venus of now and the Justine and Kim of 2002 and 2003 are not as good nor as consistent as they are now. Justine has a 10 match win streak going, I doubt she'd as easily give that up.
And there is a concsus amoung you Belgian worsshipers that Venus is dead and gone and that she will not get back to form. I think that you need to wake up and quit guarenteeing a fucking win everytime Kim and the cheater step in a tournement. I made a prediction just like you do, and I will stick to it. If I'm right yay, if I'm wrong, move on to the next tournement.:rolleyes:

Paneru
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:54 PM

It's called "Optimism"!

We are all well aware of Venus' situation but that doesn't mean we can't be positive and root for our girl! On Venus' site her Tokyo review has her in good spirits and it helps to know how she's feeling!

Go Venus! :bounce:

shap_half
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:56 PM
And there is a concsus amoung you Belgian worsshipers that Venus is dead and gone and that she will not get back to form. I think that you need to wake up and quit guarenteeing a fucking win everytime Kim and the cheater step in a tournement. I made a prediction just like you do, and I will stick to it. If I'm right yay, if I'm wrong, move on to the next tournement.:rolleyes:

first of all, I'm not a Belgian worshipper. And secondly, I'm being realistic. I know that Venus can win. But what some of you refuse to acknowledge is that it might be too soon for her to go and win a tournament where the top 2 ranked players are playing. Obviously you can't seem to grasp that. I'm not saying that Justine or Kim are going to win. I said that they probably have more chance to do so that Venus due to Venus's very recent recovery and return to the tour. If that's something you can't reconcile with yourself, then fine.

MarcusRock
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Honestly speaking, I don't think Venus can win this tournament. It'd be great if she surprised me but I just don't think she can pull it off quite yet having to go through both Belgians. Let's wait to see if she plays and if she does, how well she does early first.

shap_half
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM
It's called "Optimism"!

We are all well aware of Venus' situation but that doesn't mean we can't be positive and root for our girl! On Venus' site her Tokyo review has her in good spirits and it helps to know how she's feeling!

Yes it's good to be optimistic about the situation but I think some people are just being really unrealistic about the situation. I think that if Venus comes in prepared and focused, I think she'll have a very good chance at winning, but because she's been away from the tour for a while and hasn't really gotten several good wins in a row, I'd put Justine and Kim ahead of her.

Serendy Willick
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:58 PM
first of all, I'm not a Belgian worshipper. And secondly, I'm being realistic. I know that Venus can win. But what some of you refuse to acknowledge is that it might be too soon for her to go and win a tournament where the top 2 ranked players are playing. Obviously you can't seem to grasp that. I'm not saying that Justine or Kim are going to win. I said that they probably have more chance to do so that Venus due to Venus's very recent recovery and return to the tour. If that's something you can't reconcile with yourself, then fine.

Good, thats you opinon and I have mine.:rolleyes:

Nemesis
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I really hope she wins Antwerp ... She really deserves that racquet. And I can't imagine that Kim or Justine would be as happy as Venus if one of them wins it. The racquet is just made for her in my eyes :hearts:

I'm all cheering for her in first place next week and only secondly for Justine. In Dubai, it's the other way around again ;) And Vee needs my support more than usual in these injury times ... But I know her determination can fill in her physical annoyances if she really wants to win something. Let's hope it does this tournament.

Paneru
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Yes it's good to be optimistic about the situation but I think some people are just being really unrealistic about the situation. I think that if Venus comes in prepared and focused, I think she'll have a very good chance at winning, but because she's been away from the tour for a while and hasn't really gotten several good wins in a row, I'd put Justine and Kim ahead of her.

Well, that's good for you.

I'm just saying that as an "eternal optimist" that no matter the situation
I'm always going to hope and wish for the best!

Some people don't like to get their hopes up for fear of being
disappointed but that's just not how I am.

AntiKCKid
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Kim is no match for Venus at all. Venus woud run Kim all over the court and leave her a sweaty mess on the floor! ;)

Justine would be a closer encounter and I'd love to see these two play each other. I do feel though that Venus is probably the more likely winner of the two, especially if she's at her best.

CJ07
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
well it all depends on one thing-health

when Venus has been 100% healthy...or close she's only lost to two players in the last 2 years Clijsters, and Serena

( L Raymond (ankle, leg), L Serena (leg, abdom.), L Zvonareva (abdom.), L Mauresmo (abdom.), L Shaughnessy (foot), L Serena (injury free), L Clijsters (leg, ankle), L Serena (blisters..but I don't think that had anything to do with it), L Serena (shoulder), L Serena (gosh she lost to serena alot :o , but anyway wrist but again I don't think that had anything to do with it), L Clijsters (injury free), L Serena (injury free), L Testud (knee), L Seles (leg) )

and Venus has improved her forehand and second serve. They still need tweaking, but with this surface, I think Venus, if she's ok, should cruise

volley1
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:57 PM
That racket is compose of conflict diamonds, Venus should reject it if she wins it!!!! :mad: :fiery: :mad:

LindsayRocks89
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Venus can do it if shes healthy!!!

Crazy_Fool
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Venus can do it if shes healthy!!!
That is the big question mark

LindsayRocks89
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
but if shes healthy then she'll take out both belgians, and anyone else in her path

RAA
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:44 PM
well, I am a venus fan, but do not think she is quite up to winning this tourney quite yet. she has been off the tour for a while. she has been injured. she went out early in australia and pulled out of toyko.

not sure how this will go down, but I do think it is unlikely she will win the whole thing this year.... once she gets a few good wins under her belt, and stays healthy, she will be her usual dominating self.

Knizzle
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Having to play Juju before the final will be very tough for Venus.

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Instead of calling it a "threepeat", call it a "Veepeat" ;)

Never doubt the Queen's quest for Diamonds.

:bounce: VEEPEAT, VEEPEAT, VEEPEAT :bounce:

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:02 PM
:rocker2:

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
It's called "Optimism"!

:rocker2:

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:11 PM
well, I am a venus fan, but do not think she is quite up to winning this tourney quite yet. she has been off the tour for a while. she has been injured. she went out early in australia and pulled out of toyko.

not sure how this will go down, but I do think it is unlikely she will win the whole thing this year.... once she gets a few good wins under her belt, and stays healthy, she will be her usual dominating self.
I disagree with all of you naysayers about Vee. Even you Marcus. Venus was doing well at the AO until she was injured. That's why she couldn't move against Lisa Raymond. No way Lisa could have beaten Venus without that leg injury, no way and you all know it. Lisa had a good game that day, but she still would not have beaten a healthy Venus no matter how rusty Vee was. Also, Venus lost concentration in that game because she couldn't move like she wanted to.

Regarding pulling out of Japan, again she was injured. If Venus has gotten over this leg injury and recouperated, there is no one who will stop her. She's a smarter player than Justine and Kim put together, that's why Justine has always had a hard time beating her, and Kim too. If she is healthy for this tourney, Justin and Kim (who will be on opposite sides) , who Venus will have both to face, will give her a hard time, but I think if Vee is healthy, she's so hungry to win, nothing is going to stop her. Just my opinion. :wavey:

Dirty Sanchez
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I have my doubts whether Venus will beat either of these two this season. Venus used to have an intimidation factor about her which almost guarenteed her a large amount of games but that now appears to have gone and her confidence seems to be lacking a bit. It would be great for the WTA if she could get back to her best but I have my doubts whether she can.

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I have my doubts whether Venus will beat either of these two this season. Venus used to have an intimidation factor about her which almost guarenteed her a large amount of games but that now appears to have gone and her confidence seems to be lacking a bit. It would be great for the WTA if she could get back to her best but I have my doubts whether she can.
:haha:

Dirty Sanchez
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Laugh if you want mate, I'm just saying my opinion just like you did except I wasn't childish enough to take the piss out of you. :rolleyes:

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Laugh if you want mate, I'm just saying my opinion just like you did except I wasn't childish enough to take the piss out of you. :rolleyes:
Take the piss out of me??:scratch: Whatever that means.

Lighten up. Don't be so sensitive. I apologize if I hurt our feelings.

Jericho
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:29 PM
I hope venus makes it to the semis, so she can be consistently improving her results

VeNuS#1LoVa
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:31 PM
I think this will be a turning point in Venus's career...
If she can be healthy, and start winning matches consistantly, she will definitely be the favorite to win the Diamond Racquet. Kim and Justine have improved, but I don't think it's enough to stop a healthy and determined. I just hope Venus i healthy, she plays, and she takes that racquet! If she does, then her career in my opinion will start picking up speed again and she will win more Grand Slams. But if she loses, I think it could set her back...way back...

BUT WE'RE NOT GOING TO THINK ABOUT THAT ARE WE?

VENUS IS GOING TO ANTWERP, AND SHE IS GOING TO WIN!

GOOD LUCK, KICK ASS, BE HEALTHY QUEEN VENUS!

:worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce:

Dirty Sanchez
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Take the piss out of me??:scratch: Whatever that means.

Lighten up. Don't be so sensitive. I apologize if I hurt our feelings.
Sorry, I guess I took you the wrong way. There are a lot of assholes on GM so it's difficult to know how to take people! :)

Taking the piss....... it's a British thing! ;)

jbone_0307
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:50 PM
no

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Sorry, I guess I took you the wrong way. There are a lot of assholes on GM so it's difficult to know how to take people! :)

Taking the piss....... it's a British thing! ;)
No harm no foul :)

mackiec4
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:56 PM
venus is gonna have a pretty hard time winning this time around..
her draw is the toughest for sure. I think a lot of it is just going to depend on how Justine will play. I dont think Justine played her best for most the AO, so she will have to step it up to beat Venus.

LindsayRocks89
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:11 AM
she will have a tough time, but if her leg is better, she has a good chance of winning, she wants those diamonds, and she will try very hard to get them :bounce:

mackiec4
Feb 14th, 2004, 12:12 AM
lol, diamonds will be her main motivation here :p

Diya
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Lol ...i have a feeling she is going to pull out YET AGAIN :rolleyes:

:tape:

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM
What can you say Maggie?????

Paneru
Feb 14th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Lol ...i have a feeling she is going to pull out YET AGAIN :rolleyes:

:tape:

What do you care? :lol:

You're going to slam her either way regardless
of what ever happens!

You're so comical! :tape: ;)

vettipooh
Feb 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM
If Venus can stay healthy,focused,and determined, I am sure she can pull this off.She needs that boost of confidence.Its been a while since she won a tournament.Her motivation should be now or never.The Belgians are playing on their turf- they are not about to lose to anyone.Don't think for a minute that they don't want that diamond racquet as badly as Venus wants its. Venus is just one step closer!

alextreiber04
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Jeez none of you have any faith. Venus will win this title without losing a set, trust me. :)

K&J fan
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Jeez none of you have any faith. Venus will win this title without losing a set, trust me. :)
of course, although same thing was said of the AO ;)