PDA

View Full Version : Will Nike cancel the Serena-contract?

E. Blackadder
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I mean thay are paying the biggest sponsor check ever for someone who isn't even playing and might not even come back :confused:

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:34 PM
:rolleyes:

pigam
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:35 PM
:lol:
I don't think so ...
Serena will be back. I have no doubt whatsoever. I think she's 'waiting' to get a protected rank and she's waiting until Nike managed to create something she likes ;)

Not in a million years do I see Nike breaking their contract with Serena. No way!

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
PLEASE!!! Serena will come back, and at that point Nike will have a lot more than the contract calls for!!!

harloo
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:41 PM
gosh posters on here are sure worried about the Williams, and they are not even playing. :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Yes, NIke will cancel their contract with her; in fact, I'm thinking they've already cancelled it.

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:50 PM
It makes no sense Harloo! If Serena and Venus play we hear comments like "they're bad for tennis", if they don't play then we hear " they have no respect for the game" It's one of those situation where S&V will never win! It's hatred in the worst way :tape: But it will never be admitted!!!

Ballbuster
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM
I mean thay are paying the biggest sponsor check ever for someone who isn't even playing and might not even come back :confused:

Why are you so concerned? Your reasons cannot be healthy? Why don't you worry about your tanning lines?

miranda_lou
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Not in a million years do I see Nike breaking their contract with Serena. No way!
First of all, Serena hasn't seen one penny of that Nike contract.:rolleyes: There were so many incentive clauses in it that she gets nothing for not playing. Nike doesn't need to drop her since they just have to sit around and wait for her to decide to play. There's no money changing hands so there's no need for them to worry.

I can't imagine any of you would think Phil Knight would be that stupid.:lol: The man has built a multi-billion dollar company from scratch. He doesn't just hand out contracts for nothing.:rolleyes:

NO PLAY, NO PAY!!!! Besides that, even when she starts playing, she's already dropped money on one incentive . . . she didn't play the Aussie Open.

[I'm not just making this up. According to the Sports Business Journal, Serena's contract has more incentive clauses than any other contract ever given to an established star. Nike knew how undependable Serena is.]

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
miranda lou,
Thanks for that information. It makes me hate Serena even more. Since you don't think very highly of her, it seems that I'm in pretty good company. :)

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Like Ahnuld, "She'll Be Back"! :p

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Miranda lou. Shove it!! Do you really believe that Serena needs a penny from Nike!!?? Nike need Serena because the othe players that wear nike aren't doing anything for nikes sales. Just having Serena on their roster is enough to boost they're sales. Trust me Nike needs Serena a lot more than Serena needs them!!
PS: PURERACKUET, WHY DON'T YOU GET A LIFE!! I KEEP TRYING TO TELL MYSELF THAT WE AS HUMANS HAVE GOTTEN PAST CERTAIN NEGATIVE THINGS, THEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS AND IT REASSURES ME THAT HATRED WITHOUT REAONS STILL EXIST!!! IT'S 2004, GROW THE FUCK UP!!

Black Mamba.
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Nike wouldn't have offered Serena so much money if it wasn't in their best interest

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Miranda lou. Shove it!! Do you really believe that Serena needs a penny from Nike!!?? Nike need Serena because the othe players that wear nike aren't doing anything for nikes sales. Just having Serena on their roster is enough to boost they're sales. Trust me Nike needs Serena a lot more than Serena needs them!!
PS: PURERACKUET, WHY DON'T YOU GET A LIFE!! I KEEP TRYING TO TELL MYSELF THAT WE AS HUMANS HAVE GOTTEN PAST CERTAIN NEGATIVE THINGS, THEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS AND IT REASSURES ME THAT HATRED WITHOUT REAONS STILL EXIST!!! IT'S 2004, GROW THE FUCK UP!!
This is a funny post! Yes, NIKE would fall without Serena (lol)

Kabibi
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM
[I'm not just making this up. According to the Sports Business Journal, Serena's contract has more incentive clauses than any other contract ever given to an established star. Nike knew how undependable Serena is.]
Your wording is incorrect and faulty in logic. Nike did not make a contract with a player that is undependable. Serena had Nike and Puma both after her. I would think such companies do not aggressively cater to and go after "undependable" stars.

Nike like any other company knows the business of sports and the athelete. Special circumstances obviously had to be taken into consideration in particular the death of a loved one and injury that already had Serena out for several months.

Nike did not sign an undependable star, rather they signed a star they knew would make them money and represent their company as well as they represent her in return. Serena's "star" would not be well sought after if she was known for being someone you could not depend on.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:57 PM

:rolleyes:
Everyone is under the mistaken impression that Serena signed a contract with Nike to play tennis. She is under contract to endorse their products, e.g. wear their apparell when playing, doing television and print ads. Nike cannot cancel the contract because no one has performed under the contract. Serena's responsibilities under the contract are as aforementioned and in consideration for her performance, Nike's responsibility is to pay her. She has probably not been paid under the contract and will not be paid until she performs her responsibilties. If Nike tries to cancel or break the contract with Serena THEY will be in breach and she will probably sue them for more than the contract is worth, so it is in Nike's best interest not to try to void a contract that is in full force and effect. Please understand that Serena is not in breach of the contract by not playing. She may perform under the contract without playing, however, I am sure that she will fulfill the other part of the contract when she plays, i.e. wear their apparell and use only their products when playing tennis.

Remember, Nike did not and could not "cancel" or break their contract with Michael Jordon when he retired or semi-retired. He still endorsed their products. Serena has made a name for herself in sports, whether she plays or not and Nike has contracted with her for the use of her name in association with their products.

I hope this ends the speculation that Nike has some sort of control over Serena playing tennis.
:yawn:

esquímaux
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Rhythmnboy has tanlines :scratch: :drool:

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:02 PM
First of all, Serena hasn't seen one penny of that Nike contract.:rolleyes: There were so many incentive clauses in it that she gets nothing for not playing. Nike doesn't need to drop her since they just have to sit around and wait for her to decide to play. There's no money changing hands so there's no need for them to worry.

I can't imagine any of you would think Phil Knight would be that stupid.:lol: The man has built a multi-billion dollar company from scratch. He doesn't just hand out contracts for nothing.:rolleyes:

NO PLAY, NO PAY!!!! Besides that, even when she starts playing, she's already dropped money on one incentive . . . she didn't play the Aussie Open.

But what you fail to realize is that that contract is a five(5) year contract and those incentives don't go away. You say Phil Knight is no fool, well neither are the Williams'. They did not get this far or make as much money as they have by being stupid or have an attorney who does not know how to negotiate. Believe me, there will be time enough to capitalize on those incentives and the money will be paid.

Sonja
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM
They're not going to cancel her contract. Anything she does off the court is just gravy for them, as long as when she's on the court she's wearing Nike.

Get well soon Serena and come back strong!

E. Blackadder
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Why are you so concerned? Your reasons cannot be healthy? Why don't you worry about your tanning lines?
I'm going under a tanning bed thanks ;)

Anyway, don't see me as a hater, as a marketing/finance student i'm just interested in the contract.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:13 PM
I'm going under a tanning bed thanks ;)

Anyway, don't see me as a hater, as a marketing/finance student i'm just interested in the contract.Rhythmboy,
As a marketing/finance major, what else are you interested in?:wavey:

K&J fan
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Rhythmboy,
his tanning lines, wasn't that obvious ? :confused:

:p

Fingon
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Nike need Serena
that's truly hillarious

Nike needs no one, the richest and most succesful sports clothing company in the world. you need a reality check.

E. Blackadder
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Rhythmboy,
well i might start to get interested in you :kiss: ;)

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:23 PM
:drool: well i might start to get interested in you :kiss: ;)
:drool: Oh, stop it.;)

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I don't think that Nike knows what they got themselves into.
Rule no.1 in business is "Do not deal with that which is full of themselves"

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM
for-sure,
Excellent post. :)

miranda_lou
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Since you don't think very highly of her, it seems that I'm in pretty good company. http://wtaworld.com/ubb/smile.gif
WRONG!!! I happen to think very highly of Serena's playing ability. I think more highly of Venus and enjoy watching her play more than I like Serena's game but I don't dislike her in any way.

DeMond, I understand and agree with what you are saying. I know Serena has a five year contract (with options for three more years) but I was talking about now. And, up to this point, Serena hasn't received any money from Nike because she hasn't fulfilled any part of her contract with Nike. She will be paid to wear Nike clothing on the tennis court which she hasn't done so far. Eventually she will and she will receive money.

However, she does have several incentives, including playing and winning Slams, getting and staying at the top of the rankings, etc. She hasn't done any of this yet since signing with Nike. But, as stated, Nike won't dump her. They don't have to.

As for Nike needing Serena . . . that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Nike has Tiger, LeBron, Carmelo and Andre Agassi and they're the largest sporting goods manufacturers in the world. I don't think they're too worried about whether or not Serena plays tennis again. And, by the way, all of these men have bigger contracts than Serena.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
miranda lou,
Lamenting the fact that Nike has realized that she is "undependable" doesn't make it seem as if you life Sernea very much @ all.

esquímaux
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:00 PM
tanned & untanned meat side by side :drool: (ok that's it, I should get out more)

ys
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:01 PM
I don't think that Nike knows what they got themselves into.
Rule no.1 in business is "Do not deal with that which is full of themselves"
If they were to follow this rule, in this business it would be an equivalent of being sentenced to a lifetime masturbation.

*JR*
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Just as LeBron James could be out half a year with an injury and still get paid By Both the Cav's and Nike, so (I presume) would Serena by the latter. (Prize money isn't guaranteed as its "working on commission").

I'd think a team OR endorser would buy liability insurance (technically a "performance guarantee") re. a star's "pay" while out injured. Of course "how injured" can be disputed, as in Hingis v. Sergio Tacchini.

-Sonic-
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Can't wait to see what the clothes look like.

Ballbuster
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:49 PM
that's truly hillarious

Nike needs no one, the richest and most succesful sports clothing company in the world. you need a reality check.

Yes they do!!!

They beat out the competition because of MichealJordan. Reebok was handing Nike its Azz on a silver platter.

Nike NEEDS professional stars. That's their entire marketing scheme.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:59 PM
WRONG!!! I happen to think very highly of Serena's playing ability. I think more highly of Venus and enjoy watching her play more than I like Serena's game but I don't dislike her in any way.

DeMond, I understand and agree with what you are saying. I know Serena has a five year contract (with options for three more years) but I was talking about now. And, up to this point, Serena hasn't received any money from Nike because she hasn't fulfilled any part of her contract with Nike. She will be paid to wear Nike clothing on the tennis court which she hasn't done so far. Eventually she will and she will receive money.

However, she does have several incentives, including playing and winning Slams, getting and staying at the top of the rankings, etc. She hasn't done any of this yet since signing with Nike. But, as stated, Nike won't dump her. They don't have to.

As for Nike needing Serena . . . that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Nike has Tiger, LeBron, Carmelo and Andre Agassi and they're the largest sporting goods manufacturers in the world. I don't think they're too worried about whether or not Serena plays tennis again. And, by the way, all of these men have bigger contracts than Serena.

So, what's your point? You said "NOW" is the issue. What is it about "now" that's the issue? So what that she hasn't received any money? I doubt we'll be seeing Serena in the welfare line anytime soon. If she were worried about the incentives, she would be playing, but I assume she's not. I think you're trying to make it seem like her contract is not a big thing, especially since you mention the fact that the men have bigger contracts than Serena anyway. Her little 40 million contract may not be as big as the contracts Nike has with the men, but it's the largest contract for any female athelete and we as women should all be proud of her for accomplishing that as a woman, regardless of who she is. We never hear anything about the incentives that are in the men's contracts, but they are there. The only reason you heard about her's was because she is a woman. So, again I ask you, what is your point? :confused:

Serendy Willick
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:25 PM
A lot of cheater fans seem to be sooo worried all of a sudden about Serena and her affairs:rolleyes:. They need to back off and continue to cheer on the cheater.

Kabezya
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Serena is just the talk of conversation today. Her Nike contract, her status on court and now her responsiblity that only she bares, especially being black and all. Probably just another testament to her value to the women's game if she is still on people's minds for one reason or another.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Serena is just the talk of conversation today. Her Nike contract, her status on court and now her responsiblity that only she bares, especially being black and all. Probably just another testament to her value to the women's game if she is still on people's minds for one reason or another.Refer to this thread:

http://www2.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=102800

Venus and Serena have some loyal fans, but the vultures REALLY can't help themselves talking about them.

Dawn Marie
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:48 PM
This thread is stupid and has no point at all.

Kart
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:54 PM
If Serena's contract gets cancelled would that make her a socially responsible individual again ? :scratch:

Kabezya
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Refer to this thread:

http://www2.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=102800

Venus and Serena have some loyal fans, but the vultures REALLY can't help themselves talking about them.

That I agree with. It's amazing how too Williams Sisters fans get reputations not afforded to other fans of players for similar if not even more tacky and petty behavior as we can see with this thread.

DeDe4925
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:43 PM
If Serena's contract gets cancelled would that make her a socially responsible individual again ? :scratch:
:haha:

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:56 PM
That I agree with. It's amazing how too Williams Sisters fans get reputations not afforded to other fans of players for similar if not even more tacky and petty behavior as we can see with this thread.

Double standards are endless.

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Kart, I would have really liked for Serena to use her (fully earned) clout to demand acceptable conduct on certain things by Nike. After All, EVERY sponsor has such provisions re. its paid spokespersons, so why not the reverse?

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:33 AM
The only player I've ever heard get their contract canceled was Kobe Bryant, and I doubt Serena will do something that extreme ( although it would make some big headlines :eek: )

harloo
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Kart, I would have really liked for Serena to use her (fully earned) clout to demand acceptable conduct on certain things by Nike. After All, EVERY sponsor has such provisions re. its paid spokespersons, so why not the reverse?
Why should Serena be accountable when no one else is even mentioned. I just don't agree with this attitude from alot of folk when they don't even mention the other players who have deals with Nike. Now since it's Serena, then she has some type of obligation to rid the world of sweat shops.

Please people! If you want the explotation of workers to stop you need to organize and go up to capital hill and protest. Go in numbers, call your state officials, but for the love of god don't act like it should be Serena's agenda to make everything right with Nike.

tennnisfannn
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I am sure all the sponsors have tonnes of experience with injury, Serena isn't the first human being ever to be sponsored as some of you seem to think. Serena has always played a part time shedule and Nike must have done their research and know this well. theu made serena an offer based on her accomplishments knowing full well what her schedule was. They also knows Lindsay and mauresmo play full schedules when healthy and didn't offer them any record breaking deals. It is not just clothing but representation Nilke is after. Adidas has big sponsorship on AnnaK who didn't have results but marketability.
Does anyone imagine Adidas was shocke when Hingis retired, they all know injury is a part of sport and have ways of working around it.

Diya
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Nike really should have thought about this before they signed the contract with Serena "No Show" Williams :tape:

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Why should Serena be accountable when no one else is even mentioned. I just don't agree with this attitude from alot of folk when they don't even mention the other players who have deals with Nike. Now since it's Serena, then she has some type of obligation to rid the world of sweat shops.

Please people! If you want the explotation of workers to stop you need to organize and go up to capital hill and protest. Go in numbers, call your state officials, but for the love of god don't act like it should be Serena's agenda to make everything right with Nike.
You're correct, its NOT only Serena. She had the clout to START a "new sports order" on holding sponsors responsible, but indeed other bigname players in various sports need to cooperate on this. And if nobody does, their photo op stuff @ children's hospitals, etc. seems less than sincere.

Infiniti2001
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:16 AM
diya you're so tiresome , I'm embarrassed for you :o :eek: :rolleyes: :tape:

Black Mamba.
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM
The only player I've ever heard get their contract canceled was Kobe Bryant, and I doubt Serena will do something that extreme ( although it would make some big headlines :eek: )

Since when, last time I heard Kobe still had his Nike contract and last night when the Lakers played the Rockets he was wearing Nikes. I'm not sure, but I think he still has his contract with Nike.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Is Kobe a Socially Responsible Individual?

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:15 AM

The reason Kobe's contract was voided was because he breached the moral turpitude or ethics clause. If indeed it was voided. I'm not sure that it was, because it would have been all over the news.

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Is Kobe a Socially Responsible Individual?

That's not the topic, is it?

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Question: Will Nike cancel the Serena-contract?

Answer: I sure hope so.

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Question: Will Nike cancel the Serena-contract?

Answer: I sure hope so.
Why do you hope so?
By the same token, I hope you don't hold your breath for them to "cancel" her contract, because Nike would be in breach. In other words if they break the contract, they'd be liable for breaking an enforceable contract for no reason. Neither party to the contract has performed their respective responsibilities. Serena did not contract with Nike to play tennis. Just endorse their products and whether she plays or not ever again, they can't break the contract because the consideration for their payment is the use of her name in association with their products.

The only thing that outshines your ignorance is your apparent hate and disdaine for someone who has done absolutely nothing to you personally. That's something you have to live with and I pity you.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Why do you hope so?
By the same token, I hope you don't hold your breath for them to "cancel" her contract, because Nike would be in breach. In other words if they break the contract, they'd be liable for breaking an enforceable contract for no reason. Neither party to the contract has performed their respective responsibilities. Serena did not contract with Nike to play tennis. Just endorse their products and whether she plays or not ever again, they can't break the contract because the consideration for their payment is the use of her name in association with their products.

The only thing that outshines your ignorance is your apparent hate and disdaine for someone who has done absolutely nothing to you personally. That's something you have to live with and I pity you.

Remind me to give you a bad rep. point after 24 hours. I already maxed all my dots on other Williams fans.

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Remind me to give you a bad rep. point after 24 hours. I already maxed all my dots on other Williams fans.
I will and remind me to do the same for you, because I've maxed out my reps on you.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:43 AM
I will and remind me to do the same for you, because I've maxed out my reps on you.

I would be happy to! :)

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:44 AM
I would be happy to! :)
That makes two happy campers :)

Fingon
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Yes they do!!!

They beat out the competition because of MichealJordan. Reebok was handing Nike its Azz on a silver platter.

No you are wrong.

Nike was a hugely succesful company before the deal with Serena, and they will be after Serena retires.

To say that a corporation that sells billion of dollars and it's the best known worlwide (in its market) needs someone is just wishful thinking.

They need nobody, they are too big and too powerful for that, they always can make a big cheque and attract whoever they want, and believe, Nike's focus is NOT in tennis, they don't care that much.

Really, Serena is a great player, but some people overestimate her too much, she is not THAT important, she is human and believe me, the earth will not stop spinning if she never plays tennis again, although some people seem to think otherwise :rolleyes:

William Hunt
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
I doubt that Serena will ever make a come-back, clearly she has completely lost motivation and is scared to lose to the Belgian Justine - Kim duo (she undoubtedly would lose, Justine & Kim have raised their level in the past year). And with retirements rumours popping up in the last weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if she anounces her retirement before Roland Garros.

Fingon
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
I can't see the moral part of this, but

do you really think Serena could do that?

Do you have any idea how much money Nike saves by using low cost labour? do you think what Serena can bring to Nike would compensate that?

We are not talking about a silly 50 million dollars contract over five years, we are talking about billion of dollars a year. Trust me, low cost is more important to Nike than all the athletes in the world.

BTW, I don't understand why Nike is singled out, what they do is wrong but it's not different to what many other companies do, oil companies, mining companies, pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers. There are companies that knock down governments and start civil wars (re: ITT) so what Nike does, while wrong, is pretty minor.

Dede42
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:31 AM
I doubt that Serena will ever make a come-back, clearly she has completely lost motivation and is scared to lose to the Belgian Justine - Kim duo (she undoubtedly would lose, Justine & Kim have raised their level in the past year). And with retirements rumours popping up in the last weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if she anounces her retirement before Roland Garros.
PUHLEEEEEZE!!

Black Mamba.
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM

:lol: You've got to be kidding me.

Serendy Willick
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I doubt the Belgians will ever win another slam again when Serena and Venus comes back up to form ( oh I forgot, Kim Clijsters has yet to win one).Contrary to popular belief, the Belgians have not raised their level of play due to the obvious low-rate competition that they have enjoyed for the last six to seven months. Its not their fault and they have accomplished a lot, but the public will see once the Williams get their acts together, it will be a whole new ball game.

for-sure
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM
I can't see the moral part of this, but

do you really think Serena could do that?

Do you have any idea how much money Nike saves by using low cost labour? do you think what Serena can bring to Nike would compensate that?

We are not talking about a silly 50 million dollars contract over five years, we are talking about billion of dollars a year. Trust me, low cost is more important to Nike than all the athletes in the world.

BTW, I don't understand why Nike is singled out, what they do is wrong but it's not different to what many other companies do, oil companies, mining companies, pharmaceutical companies, weapons manufacturers. There are companies that knock down governments and start civil wars (re: ITT) so what Nike does, while wrong, is pretty minor.

If Hitler was the CEO of nike, and Serena signed with him, would Serena be a socially responsible individual. Or would it not matter because "it's all about profit"
Nike right now is no better than Hitler was.

esquímaux
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:04 PM

I doubt that ;) There's too much a "steak" :tape:

LindsayRocks89
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
i really doubt they would get rid of Serena

miranda_lou
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:52 PM
None of Kobe Bryant's endorsement contracts were "cancelled." Each came up for renewal and were not renewed. (I'm talking about Nutella, McDonald's and Sprite.) That's not the same as being canceled, they just weren't renewed. Of course, they would have been renewed if that b!tch hadn't called the cops on him.:lol: That little "quickie" has cost poor Kobe MILLIONS!!!:sad: I sure hope other young athletes have learned a lesson from it.

Also, Nike has not canceled Kobe's contract and he still wears their clothes. Nike can afford to keep Kobe because he's just one of many, many athletes on their payroll and he gets lost in the crowd.:rolleyes:

lizchris
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Nike isn't stupid enough to enter into a contract with someone after they had sugery knowing that there was a chance the person might not come back. After all, Kobe Bryankt is stll on the Nike payroll and he is accused of a crime.

lizchris
Feb 13th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Why should she be scared of them? She has accomplished more in her career than the both of them combined. She has six GS titles (Kim has none) and she won the Y/E Masters in 2001 (Justine has yet to wni).

Black Mamba.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:39 PM
If Hitler was the CEO of nike, and Serena signed with him, would Serena be a socially responsible individual. Or would it not matter because "it's all about profit"

Wow, I think selling shoes is a lot different from brutally murdering innocent people. I understand Nike is cutthroat, but last time I checked Phil Knight and company haven't orchestrated the mass murder of innocent people.

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Why should she be scared of them? She has accomplished more in her career than the both of them combined. She has six GS titles (Kim has none) and she won the Y/E Masters in 2001 (Justine has yet to wni).
Justine has not won Wimby either. Serena has won it twice and so has Vee. :wavey:

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:45 PM

It's so much :bs: in for-sure's post, it stinks.
:bolt:

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:17 PM

I agree.

Serena last beat Justine at Wimbledon, where a healthy Kim could not beat an injured Venus. I seriously doubt either Venus or Serena fear the women from Belgium. Respect yes, but fear no. Just as Justine and Kim have confidence in their abilities, so do the Williams Sisters.

I wish people would make up their minds. Some times the Sisters are bad for tennis but when they are injured people want them on court in a hurry and get mad at them for not coming back on a timetable; and then they want them to retire because they are "scared" :rolleyes: Which is it?

Justinefan
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Yes they do!!!

I hope you aren't under the impression that Serena is an equivalent to Micheal Jordan.. Please... Nike doesn't need anyone.

mackiec4
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Please... Nike doesn't need anyone.

thats right...nike doesn't need anyone b/c they have all their 7 year old kids working in sweat shops. that slave labor saves them a hell of a lot of money so they make enough profit as it is.

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I hope you aren't under the impression that Serena is an equivalent to Micheal Jordan.. Please... Nike doesn't need anyone.

Of course Nike doesn't need anyone. The difference is they want Serena. So Serena does not have to be the equivalent of Michale Jordan or even Tiger Woods. Serena is Serena and that is good enough, and valuable enough in itself.

Fingon
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:50 PM
do you take aspirins?

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Ohhhh, but she is in the tennis world. What planet have you been living on? :rolleyes:

G_Slammed
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Of course Nike doesn't need anyone. The difference is they want Serena....that's why this is bothering alot of Belgian/Russian player supporters. This kinky-haired, full-featured, dark brown soulsister will be Big Daddy NIKE'S main woman.

And she ain't gonna disappoint.

I hope you aren't under the impression that Serena is an equivalent to Micheal Jordan..She's workin' on it, she's workin' on it.. give her time.
Meanwhile, you can catch Miss Williams TONIGHT at 9pm on the ESPN show "All Exclusive", hosted by Ahmad Rashad .. sitting sculptured shoulder to sculptured shoulder with who else but.. Mr. Michael Jordan himself.

Ballbuster
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=G_SlammedShe's workin' on it, she's workin' on it.. give her time.
Meanwhile, you can catch Miss Williams TONIGHT at 9pm on the ESPN show "All Exclusive", hosted by Ahmad Rashad .. sitting sculptured shoulder to sculptured shoulder with who else but.. Mr. Michael Jordan himself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Reminder.

Ballbuster
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:14 PM
No you are wrong.

Nike was a hugely succesful company before the deal with Serena, and they will be after Serena retires.

To say that a corporation that sells billion of dollars and it's the best known worlwide (in its market) needs someone is just wishful thinking.

They need nobody, they are too big and too powerful for that, they always can make a big cheque and attract whoever they want, and believe, Nike's focus is NOT in tennis, they don't care that much.

Really, Serena is a great player, but some people overestimate her too much, she is not THAT important, she is human and believe me, the earth will not stop spinning if she never plays tennis again, although some people seem to think otherwise :rolleyes:

No Miss Thing you are wrong!

NIKE USES PLAYERS for their marketing campaign. PLAYERS!!!!!!

lizchris
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Nike won't cancel the Serena contract but Puma must be glad to have get rid of her.
I highly doubt that since she was their best known athlete wearing their product. I don't know of any other athlete who is wearing PUMA right now.

DD
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Nike won't cancel the Serena contract but Puma must be glad to have get rid of her.:rolleyes:

Puma didnt get rid of Serena, it was the other way round.

Pureracket
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Nike won't cancel the Serena contract but Puma must be glad to have get rid of her.
Yeah, since she barely won any tournaments of significance while wearing their label.:lol:

flyingmachine
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:29 PM

I'm agree with you. I don't think they will NOT cancel Serena's contact till she's retried

*JR*
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Why would anyone choose what to wear because of who endorses it? Michael wasn't a great basketball player because of his Air Jordans, they made Air Jordans because he was a great basketball player. Of course the buyers of such merchandise aren't dumb enough To Think a brand of shoe will make them (name An Athlete). So what the hell is the point of buying paid endorsers' stuff anyway?

:confused:

DeDe4925
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I'm agree with you. I don't think they will NOT cancel Serena's contact till she's retried
Does that mean you think they will?? :scratch:

And nobody doesn't like Sara Leeeeeeeee :hehehe:

Kart
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Kart, I would have really liked for Serena to use her (fully earned) clout to demand acceptable conduct on certain things by Nike. After All, EVERY sponsor has such provisions re. its paid spokespersons, so why not the reverse?She has no clout over a Nike, sweetheart. She is just a well paid employee and she is not indispensible to a company of that size.

Seems to me she had two choices - either sign with them or someone else if she felt that strongly about their conduct.

I don't know much about what Nike is supposed to have done to upset so many people, maybe Serena didn't either.

Or maybe she did - either way she gave up any minor bargaining power she had when she signed on the dotted line.

They are paying her a lot of money, that's quite an incentive to not bite the hand that feeds you - how much of an incentive depends on her morals / ethics, but we don't have Serena here to tell us what she thinks so I can't really find any moral highground to criticise her from with the weak evidence that I've seen.

Someone let me know when she has actually spoken on this subject.

Justinefan
Feb 14th, 2004, 02:12 AM

Puma didn't dump Serena, she chose not to resign with them.. Plus they probably made more of a profit when they were endorsing her, than they ever have. I doubt they were happy to see her go.