PDA

View Full Version : If you are Ai Sugiyama, when will you retire?

onebridgecafe
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Ai Sugiyama, who will be 29yo this year, is now ranked #8, her career best since 1992. But soon, she will lose huge points that she earned in Arizona last year and many agree that it would not be easy to reach Top 5.

I am afraid if she is now considering retirement any time soon. She now appears on so many TV shows and all sorts of different magazines, which was rare for her until just recently. She is quite everywhere although tennis has not been a big deal in Japan after Kimoko Date's retirement. Well, hope this is not her way of preparation for a new life.

Whatever her plan is, she is known as a player who never gives up. If you are Ai, when is a good time to quit?

This is her impressive record.

Singles titles: 6 including 2 Tier 2.
Win over:
Steffi Graf :cool:
Martina Hingis :)
Lindsay Davenport
Kim Clijsters
Jana Novotna
Justine Henin-Hardenne :tape:
Jennifer Capriati
Mary Pierce
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Helena Sukova
Amanda Coetzer
Anke Huber
Elena Dementieva
Daniela Huntuchova
Jelena Dokic
Conchita Martinez
Sandrine Testud

Doubles titles:28 including 3 GS (FO, Wim, US)
Win over:
Hingis/Novotna
Hingis/Kournikova
Raymond/Stubbs
Davenport/Raymond
Neiland/Sanchez-Vicario
Ruano-Pascual/Suarez
Seles/Zvereva :eek:

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Now thats what I call getting the most out of what you have... hard work has obviously paid dividends...

-Ph51-
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Not yet,not yet...

esquímaux
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:38 PM
And what if Sugimama(:p) doesn't "lose" the points she earned last year :o

starr
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:15 PM
She should quit whenever she wants. If she's having fun and making money, there's not reason to retire.

I don't think it matters if she falls in the rankings. Ai has lived in the top twenty/thirty for years and years. She seems to be having more fun than ever before. I wouldn't mind if she kept it up for another 5 years. :)

I never dreamed she would be ranked like this at age 28. I thought she would be slipping in the rankings at this age and retire by age 28.

for-sure
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Ai's wins have come from her ability to do everything (including at the net) and being very quick. I saw a clip of AI from 2 years ago, and it is pretty clear that she has really worked on her fitness.

mboyle
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM
If I were she, I would play two more years and then have a farewell tour consisting of only Asian/Australian events and the slams.