PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells has a name!

disposablehero
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:01 PM
And it's not "Tennis Masters Series", so I can finally stop puking.

"Pacific Life Open" actually doesn't sound that bad.

geoepee
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:33 PM
It's about time! I really didn't like the fact that such a huge Tier I tournament as Indian Wells was just 'lumped' together with the men's tournament. By the way, why did they stop calling it the Evert Cup? I never knew the exact reason why.

Kart
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:41 PM
'Pacific Life Open' ?

Where did that name come from ?

It just makes me think of seafood and now I'm hungry.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Something happened between the tournament and Evert....I'm not real sure. 1999 was the last year it was named that (last year in the old facilities as well).

Bright Red
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Something happened between the tournament and Evert....I'm not real sure. 1999 was the last year it was named that (last year in the old facilities as well).

Thanks for the info, JoshuaL.

As a Williams Fan, I don't find anything about the event appealing. Evert doesn't seem to care for the Williams, and as a result, I don't too much care for her.

Bright Red
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Kart
'Pacific Life Open' ?

Where did that name come from ?

It just makes me think of seafood and now I'm hungry.

lol. Either that or insurance.

VS Fan
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Pacific Life sounds like a corporate sponsor name, probably an insurance compony. Like Ericsson, NASDAQ, Lipton for Miami's Tier one tourney.

How nice: A new name, and at least 4 of the top ten women's players missing. Gee they MIGHT even have another new name next year.

Fingon
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Pacific Life is an insurance company.

The tournament was named Newsweek championship for one year. I don't understand why they called it tennis master series afterwards.

Monica_Rules
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:13 PM
:rolleyes:

Interesting!;)

brickhousesupporter
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:24 PM
It should be called the "Lyndsay, Jennifer, Serena, Venus Missing in Action" Open.

Hey did anyone think, that the reason Jennifer does not play there anymore is something to do with Chrissie.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:25 PM
State Farm "Evert Cup" was lost when the Scottsdale tourn started

Although Scottsdale doesn't use Evert Cup in its title, it is called State Farm Women's Tennis Classic.

Pacific Life doesn't sound too bad

LucasArg
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:33 PM
This tournament is going to be very bored now Williams, Davenport, Jennifer are not playing.:(

No hardcourt queens:o

Fingon
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by LucasArg
This tournament is going to be very bored now Williams, Davenport, Jennifer are not playing.:(

No hardcourt queens:o

There are other players, and for those of use who prefer finesse to power, it will be great to see a tournament where Justine and Martina are playing.

Rubylips
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:33 PM
geoepee,love kwan to.nice avatar.hope she takes gold.:wavey:

Kart
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:54 PM
No hardcourt queens ?

Er Monica and Martina have a combined seven US open finals appearances between them so I wouldn't go that far ...

QueenO
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Lovely avatar of Kwan

Jarrett
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:39 PM
about the Michelle avatar. Very nice. As soon as I saw that picture online I had to go check it out in the TV Guide at the corner store. GOOO Michelle!

Jordan.
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:51 PM
I like to call it Indian Wells,it sounds pretty.:cool:

rian_ran
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Considering last year, they should re-name it the....... 'KKK International Open'.

Fingon
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by rian_ran
Considering last year, they should re-name it the....... 'KKK International Open'.

no comment

Ted of Teds Tennis
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:59 AM
rian_ran wrote:
Considering last year, they should re-name it the....... 'KKK Internatio

This the worst act of prejudice I've seen since they killed Martin Luther King. :p

Martian KC
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Eck! Don't like the name at all! It doesn't have a ring to it!:mad:

on the Michelle avatar, very nice!;)

AjdeNate!
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:08 AM
The Pacific Life Open Presented By The City Of Indian Wells
That's a mouthful for an official title.... I still will call it 'IW'.

disposablehero
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by rian_ran

There's a post we are all afraid to take issue with. Not safe to suggest people would be angry about missing a semifinal match.

Jordan.
Feb 18th, 2002, 01:44 AM
:eek:

geoepee
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the nice comment about the avatar guys. I'm really rooting hard for Michelle Kwan to win the gold in SLC!