PDA

View Full Version : What was the name of the INDONESIAN top 40 player of the 90s ?

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Could someone please helpe me out with this...also..does anyone know her PEAK ranking on tour..thanks! I kind of remember what she looks like..a little like a cartoon character..Bugs Bunny ??
I think she was one of the first female asian/pacific island players to ever crack the top 50 next to Kimiko Date :bounce:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Yayuk Basuki?

Her highest ranking in single is 21 (August 97).
Thanks! I can't find ONE pic of hers anywhere :sad:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:55 AM
http://www.1stserve.com/old/propictures/yayuk.htm
Awwwwl...i thought she looked a little more like WIDJAJA ..but thanks! :wavey:

kfh_9118
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Yayuk Basuki?

Her highest ranking in single is 21 (August 97).
I think her highest ranking is 19 :cool:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:56 AM
I think her highest ranking is 19 :cool:
Thats very impressive..i thought her peak was in the mid to high 30s... :worship: Was this peak just for a month or two..or was she a consitent top 50 player ? How many years did she land i at the end of year top 50 ?

skanky~skanketta
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:14 AM
she won 6 titles.

made the QF of wimbledon once, and a bundle of 4th rounds. highest dubs rank was 9. has had some big scalps in her career...

beaten lindsay davenport (twice grass and hardcourt!), mary jo fernendez, julie hallard, anke huber(twice), anna kournikova, iva majoli, amelie mauresmo(twice), maggie maleeva (4 times!leads the h2h 4-1), mary pierce (twice leads 2:0 including marathon match that ended 10-8 in the third at the 92 olympics), gabriela sabatini, pam shriver, irina spirlea, dominique van roost.

pushed kimiko date, steffi graf (1st round at uso, two tight sets), iva majoli, conchita martinez, jana novotna, ASV,

rhz
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Other notable win was over Martina Hingis at the Fed Cup in Jakarta

Harju.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Oh my gawd.. Thread for Yayuk..

She is one of the reason why I'm into tennis.. :worship:

She retired like I think in 1999 or 2000.. she stopped tennis at one point.. I think it's around 97.. giving birth.. and she was still pretty strong..

When she reaches the QF of Wimbledon.. it was like a big news in Indonesia.. And she lost to Novotna, her only nemesis that she can never beat.. lol.. She was so closeee to join the top 16 at that year.. but unfortunately she was sick at the indoor session.. losing to unknown player.. and during the Fildersadt (sp?) where a Porsche was awarded.. She refused to join as she had to go through qualifying round as a top 20 players..

Her Wimbledon record is very good even as atop 50 players :

00 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91
WIMBLEDON 3r -- 3r QF 1r 4r 4r 4r 4r 4r

1997 - Defeated two Top 10 players and reached first Grand Slam QF at Wimbledon, helping her crack world's Top 20 in September; upset Spirlea to reach Birmingham final; upset No. 4 seed Po to reach SF of Tokyo [Princess Cup], then held seven match points against No. 2 seed Sanchez-Vicario before losing; joined Million Dollar Club in career prize money earnings
1998 - At Australian Open, upset No. 14 seed Van Roost to reach 4r; strong grass court player: reached at least 3r at Wimbledon each year but one 1992-98; reached Birmingham SF (SF and finals were canceled due to rain)
2000 - After playing only the 1999 Australian Open in January (reached QF in doubles) and giving birth in September 1999, returned to the WTA Tour in doubles one year later at Australian Open and reach QF with Mauresmo, and later won two ITF event doubles titles; returned to singles in March (Indian Wells qualifying); in second singles tournament (first main draw) since returning and first Grand Slam in a year-and-a-half, reached 3r at Wimbledon before falling to Capriati 76 60; capped return by winning doubles title at last event of year in Pattaya, her first Tour doubles title in three years
2001 - W/Vis, captured second doubles title in three months at Dubai

rhz
Feb 21st, 2004, 02:22 PM
go yayuk

Experimentee
Feb 21st, 2004, 02:34 PM
I only remember seeing Yayuk play when she was double bagelled by Hingis once :o

Libertango
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:57 PM
Oh I loved Yayuk. I first saw/met her at Birmingham in 1997, she was so sweet and kind even thoguh she'd jsut lost the final to Tauziat! She had a great game with a fast, tricky serve and good groundies (one-handed b/h). She was really effective on grass as you can see by her Wimby record. She married her coach and they had a baby a couple of years back...