PDA

View Full Version : If Serena gets an injury protected ranking in slams then she should be seeded #2.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:07 PM
She is obviously better in slams than Kim Clijsters and has never lost a grandslam final.

If Serena get a protected seeding it should be #2.:)

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Hi hairspray queen, yeah because Serena leaves them no choice.:) WAVEY

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:12 PM
She is obviously better in slams than Kim Clijsters and has never lost a grandslam final.

If Serena get a protected seeding it should be #2.:)She already has a protected ranking and special seeding. .

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Oh ok thanks Knizzle I didn't know she already will get it.:)

Thanks and you're correct it was 1999 Indian Wells.;)

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Serena has lost in the finals of a major (US 01 ;) )

Anyhoo...I believe Serena gets a special seeding of #1 OUTSIDE majors; and #2 in majors. There was an article on it. ;)

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Oops I forgot that her bigger and longer sister beat her in the US Open 2001.:)

I didn't see any article on this? Hmm I must have missed it.

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Here ya go Dawn!

from their Notes and Netcords:
http://www.wtatour.com/media/notesa.../2004/jan12.pdf (http://www.wtatour.com/media/notesa.../2004/jan12.pdf)

SPECIAL RANKINGS AND SEEDS GRANTED TO SERENA AND VENUS WILLIAMS

The WTA Tour has granted a special ranking and seeding to third-ranked Serena Williams and 11th-ranked Venus Williams under the Tour’s Special Ranking Rule for injured players.

At the first eight tournaments (excluding Grand Slam events and the WTA Tour Championships) that Serena enters upon her return to the WTA Tour, she will have a special singles ranking of No.1 and a special doubles ranking of No.22; Venus will have a special singles ranking of No.4. In addition, for her first four non-Grand Slam tournaments, Serena will have a special singles seeding of No.2 and Venus will have a special singles seeding of No.3. Depending upon their results, their special seeding may be extended for the remaining four tournaments of their special ranking status.

In tournaments where the No.2-ranked player (currently Kim Clijsters) is in the field with Serena, that player would be seeded ahead of Serena. Likewise, when the No.3-ranked player is in the field with Venus, that player would be seeded ahead of Venus.

The Special Ranking Rule, which has been applied in recent years to injury situations involving Lindsay Davenport, Steffi Graf and Monica Seles, applies to top 300-ranked players sidelined by injury for at least six months, and reflects a player’s ranking at the time they were knocked out of competition. Serena (knee injury) and Venus (abdominal strain) last played at Wimbledon when Serena was ranked No.1 and Venus was No.4.

Under the rule’s provision for a special seeding, a player’s seeding has traditionally been determined by the player’s average ranking during the previous 52 weeks before their injury, as well as other criteria. For the 52 weeks prior to Serena’s injury, she had an average ranking of 1; Venus had an average ranking of 2.3 during the same period.

Quality points will be awarded to players who defeat Serena and Venus based on their special seeding (i.e.: players who defeat Serena, whose special seeding is No.2, will be awarded quality points typically earned by defeating a No.2- ranked player; players who defeat Venus, who has a special seeding of No.3, will earn points typically awarded for defeating a No.3-ranked player) regardless of their actual seeding in a tournament.

Grand Slam tournaments have the option of adopting the Tour’s special seeding for the Williams sisters. Recently, the Australian Open announced it supported the Tour’s special seeding for Venus and would seed her accordingly for next week’s tournament in Melbourne.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Ok so then Kim will get a higher seed than Serena? If this is the case then imho Serena can earn bonus points.

per4ever
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Special ranking of number 1?? Even if Justine is in the tournament? :confused: that seems a big weird to me to be honnest

tennisIlove09
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Special ranking of number 1?? Even if Justine is in the tournament? :confused: that seems a big weird to me to be honnest
Why? Serena was the dominate figure in the sport when she had her surgery. She had won 5 of 6 majors, and probably would have won 6 straight majors if it wasn't for a hand/cheating moment in Paris.

And she was ranked #1 (very much so) when she left.

Nothing odd about it.

Robbie.
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Why? Serena was the dominate figure in the sport when she had her surgery. She had won 5 of 6 majors, and probably would have won 6 straight majors if it wasn't for a hand/cheating moment in Paris.

And she was ranked #1 (very much so) when she left.

Nothing odd about it.
I agree!

Good luck Serena

AjdeNate!
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I understand it would work this way:
1. Justine
2. Kim
3. Serena
4. Amelie
5. Venus
6. Lindsay

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:01 AM

Protected ranking and special seeding aren't the same thing.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Serena will get extra weeks at #1, won't she?? I think Seles did when she was co#1 with Steffi, someone can correct me if I am wrong.

AjdeNate!
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:05 AM
No, Serena won't be "ranked #1" as Seles was. The players voted Seles to be a Co-#1. That's not the case here. Injury is not grounds to be Officially #1. Seles got it due to the mitigating circumstances of her "injury".

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:06 AM
No, Serena won't be "ranked #1" as Seles was. The players voted Seles to be a Co-#1. That's not the case here. Injury is not grounds to be Officially #1. Seles got it due to the mitigating circumstances of her "injury".
:yeah:

Greenout
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=per4ever]Special ranking of number 1?? Even if Justine is in the tournament? :confused: that seems a big weird to me to be honnest[/
QUOTE]

Don't worry your pretty little head...ain't going to happen. They're
just trying to wind- up the NRR-DEN supporters on the site.
Typical. Besides..it doesn't matter because nowadays the
outcome will the same whatever happens below in the
seedings; if you know what I mean? ;)

Diya
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Anyhoo...I believe Serena gets a special seeding of #1 OUTSIDE majors; and #2 in majors. There was an article on it. ;)

The article (that you posted) says she will never get a special seeding higher than # 3 if both Justine and Kim are playing in a tournament

Volcana
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:19 AM
WHat does it matter? It didn't help Venus at OZ. If Serena returns in the same form she was in when she won Wimbledon, she'll win whatever she enters. If she' less than that, she'll lose to some players she was beating last year.

Much ado about nothing.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 12th, 2004, 02:54 AM
I'm sure the WTA will take consideration your opinion!
As will most of the posters on this board :wavey:

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:03 AM
do u think that if ms Venus played Lisa in Wimbledon and not in Australia... do you think that the results would be the same? yes i guess it didnt help ms Venus cuz she only got to play in the 3rd round, what if she didnt have that ranking, she could have met Kim, Lindsay, Amelie and Juju in the quarters

SerenaSlam
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:01 AM
serena "deserves" to be ranked number 1, no-one "took" as in went out there and played tennis while she was playing and got the number 1 ranking. more so it left her.

personally justine deserves to be ranked number 1 right now. but when serena comes back she really doesn't deserve anymore than serena would. this is my opinion.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Ok so then Kim will get a higher seed than Serena? If this is the case then imho Serena can earn bonus points.

She can anyway. Just because Kim might be seeded below her rank doesn't mean that she's worth less points than her rank affords her.

In the case of the sisters, they are worth whatever they are seeded at the majors.

stephanwiberg
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:05 AM

If Serena get a protected seeding it should be #2.:)

She is not even injured anymore just busy with other things, so she should either play now or start at zero

And definitely not seeds before Kim, that would be the biggerst mistake Wta could make. She would probably lose against Elke right now

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:06 AM
serena "deserves" to be ranked number 1, no-one "took" as in went out there and played tennis while she was playing and got the number 1 ranking. more so it left her.

personally justine deserves to be ranked number 1 right now. but when serena comes back she really doesn't deserve anymore than serena would. this is my opinion.

If she deserves to be ranked #1, she'll get back there in due time.

But you'll note that Davenport (who was #1 at the time of her injury in 2002) did not receive the #1 special seeding. She was specially seeded #4 upon her return. It's usually lower than the rank the player left with.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM

But you'll note that Davenport (who was #1 at the time of her injury in 2002) did not receive the #1 special seeding. She was specially seeded #4 upon her return. It's usually lower than the rank the player left with.

Davenport had a special seeding of #3.
;)

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Davenport had a special seeding of #3.
;)

Not in practice.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Not in practice.

:confused:

AjdeNate!
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:11 AM
LD's SS was #3, but the "true" #3 got the #3 and LD got #4.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:11 AM
She was the #4 seed at USO 2002. Serena, Venus, and Capriati were all seeded above her.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:12 AM
She was the #4 seed at USO 2002. Serena, Venus, and Capriati were all seeded above her.

She couldn't replace the true #3 which was Capriati, so she bumped #4 Dokic to #5.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:13 AM
She couldn't replace the true #3 which was Capriati, so she bumped #4 Dokic to #5.

Precisely. So in practice, she was the #4.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Precisely. So in practice, she was the #4.

But if Cappy wasn't in the draw she wasn't #4. Davy may have been #4 in that tournament, but her special seeding was #3.

Kabibi
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:16 AM
I have to agree with this sentiment here. While a #1 ranking is valued, I object to such a high ranking considering Serena has been out and even though she can be #1 in many ways, she is not #1 on the court as we speak and the last couple of months. I can see #3 perhaps, but in the end Serena will have to play at the level where she gets to #1 and once again validates her status not just in words and past performances. I have no doubt Serena will get back to #1 and would actually like to see that journey more than having it just given to her.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:17 AM
But if Cappy wasn't in the draw she wasn't #4. Davy may have been #4 in that tournament, but her special seeding was #3.

I'm not disagreeing for fuck's sake.

But Serena's real seed is #3. Davenport's was #4.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I'm not disagreeing for fuck's sake.

But Serena's real seed is #3. Davenport's was #4.

Serena's real special seeding is #2, she would ONLY be #3 if Kim Clijsters plays in the same tournaments as her. Davenport's was #3. Venus currently has a special seeding of #3.

tenn_ace
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM
i thought Williamses are so good, they don't need protected ranking to wins GSs... what's the worry?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Serena's real special seeding is #2, she would ONLY be #3 if Kim Clijsters plays in the same tournaments as her. Davenport's was #3. Venus currently has a special seeding of #3.

I KNOW THAT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

But her REAL seeding is #3. Davenport's was #4. I know she is GIVEN the #2 seed, but since the true #2 gets precedence, she can never be seeded #2 unless Kim or Justine don't play. Which is saying NOTHING. If they don't play an event as it is, Serena would move up two seeds.

She is always going to be seeded behind two players. Therefore, she has truly been given the #3 seed.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:26 AM
i thought Williamses are so good, they don't need protected ranking to wins GSs... what's the worry?

They don't. The reason they've been given the seeds is because the WTA doesn't want to have a Myskina/Rubin/Dementieva/Dokic section in a Slam opposing a Henin Hardenne/Venus/Serena/Sugiyama section.

tenn_ace
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:28 AM
question was for Williams fans, not WTA: what's your worry?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Maybe that's the Williams fans' reason as well?

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:30 AM

No one is worried. It's not like the WS haven't won slams as the #5 seed or #7 seed, so there is no worry, but it helps to have a first round by at some tournaments and an easier opponent in the early round while coming back from an injury.

tenn_ace
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Maybe that's the Williams fans' reason as well?oh... that's really something new... btw if Venus is given a protected ranking neither Dementieva nor Sugyama will be seeded in top 8.

Diya
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:31 AM
CinnamoninCinema are you heybritney in a new avatar ?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:47 AM
oh... that's really something new... btw if Venus is given a protected ranking neither Dementieva nor Sugyama will be seeded in top 8.

What? Venus will bump them both out? Maybe you mean if both Venus and Serena have protective rankings (which they do).

And who cares? Let them bump Dementieva and Sugiyama out. They are better than Dementieva and Sugiyama, and as i was saying, nobody wants to see Dementieva or Sugiyama in the semifinals of a Slam without beating anybody significant.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:48 AM
CinnamoninCinema are you heybritney in a new avatar ?

I don't know who HeyBritney is, or how to make a new avatar, but what bad taste in music.

bandabou
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:10 AM
It don´t matter....even if Serena was seeded no.30 or something. Would you bet on anyone other than perhaps, Justine( on clay), Kim( indoors) or Venus beating her?!

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:12 AM
It don´t matter....even if Serena was seeded no.30 or something. Would you bet on anyone other than perhaps, Justine( on clay), Kim( indoors) or Venus beating her?!
Venus beating her???? when was the last time?????

tennisIlove09
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Wimbledon 2003. Serena said so herself ;) Unofficially, of course :lol:

tennnisfannn
Feb 12th, 2004, 08:25 AM
so the seeds will be Justine, kim, serena and venus if all four are present, doesn't seem too bad. keeps the options for an all belgium or all williams finals if everyone plays up to seed. The only one screwed here is Amelie. coz she goes from no. 3 to no.5.

Lady
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:35 AM
In the rules are if Amelie (current #3) is in the tourney, she will be seeded ahead of Venus!! That means Venus will be #5, right?