PDA

View Full Version : Any Julie Halard news?

Halardfan
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Don't suppose those who keep who keep up to date with French tennis stuff have heard any news of Julie HD over recent months? Its been well over a year since Ive heard even scraps of info...anyone heard even the slightest bit of JHD gossip in that time? Perhaps the French tennis mags might have mentioned the great one?

I need my yearly JHD fix! :) ;)

lauryn
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.opengazdefrance.com/accueil/story_129111.shtml

Halardfan
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Many thanks! :) I don't speak French so I ran it through the BabelFish thing...which gives out a kind of weird half-English...

Could anyone who does speak French give me the gist of the piece?

lauryn
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Julie, not knowing you that well, could you give us a short summary of your career?
I started playing at age 7. I played for 15 years on the WTA tour and retired at the end of 2000. I won about ten tournaments, can't really remember which ones exactly. I won the Open Gaz de France in 1996. I won Eastbourne and about ten others. I was number one in doubles with Ai Sugiyama with whome I won the US Open in 2000.

What was your best ranking in singles?
I reached number 7 at the beginning of 2000.

How are your daughters doing?
Camille (two years today) and little Ines (7 months) are doing really well but they aren't playing tennis yet.

What's your prognosis for the match between Dechy and Pierce?
Good question...I can't really give a prognosis, cause Mary hasn't played since Fed Cup. Nathalie has the advantage, she started the year well. Matches between two French players are always tough.

In your opinion, who's the best player right now?
The two Belgians (Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne) are equally as good. Henin took the upperhand but they're equally as good. But Serena is really the best. Amelie, is not that far behind, but every time she gets back, she reinjures herself... so it's a bit complicated.

Who were the player you got along with the most?
I got along with Ai of course, also Anke Huber who was the witness at my marriage. I generally got along with the French

What do you think about Sandrine Testud's comeback?
It's tough to come back after you had a baby. I think she mainly does it to enjoy herself and that she doesn't think about joining the tour full time. All the travelling, it's difficult with a child.

What about you, do you miss the tour?
Not at all! I played for 15 years. You need to know when to stop... All the travelling, being away from home. It's tough when you have a family.

What do you think about Golovin?
I don't know her really well to give my opinion. She's been having great results, I don't know her game really well. So I will get to see her play here at the Open Gaz de France...

Who's the favourite for this tournament?
Kim Clijsters. If she has no more problems with her injury, she should be able to win.

And the French?
It's a pity Amelie isn't playing, she loves this tournament and plays well here. The player who wins the match between Nathalie-Mary could make a surprise and not forgetting the young players like Tatiana if she can confirm her latest results...

Do you have any regrets concerning your career?
No, I gave everything I could. You can always do better, but I did my best.

What do you think about the impressive physique of the players now?
Today the players work a lot physically. Twenty years ago, we didn't really train on our physique but it needs to stay women's tennis...

Did you keep in contact with some players?
I've kept contact with Ai per email. As I live is Lausanne it's quite difficult to keep in contact in other ways. I often see Sandrine Testud obviously. We talk about babies now...

Who are your favouite players?
At the beginning of my career, I liked Mandlikova a lot. Steffi Graf impressed me the most. Now I really like Justine Henin-Hardenne's game.

And what about doping in tennis?
Like in any sport or job, you need to know what's more important your health or your career.

-Ph51-
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM
She's working at the Open Gaz de France!
Love her!

gmak
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
she's so sweet! :hearts:

miss you julie! :sad:

Steveg
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Don't suppose those who keep who keep up to date with French tennis stuff have heard any news of Julie HD over recent months? Its been well over a year since Ive heard even scraps of info...anyone heard even the slightest bit of JHD gossip in that time? Perhaps the French tennis mags might have mentioned the great one?

I need my yearly JHD fix! :) ;)Julie is in great shape and lively as ever :D .

Experiencing how difficult it is to ask smart questions to the players ;) .

Halardfan
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Many thanks for the translation. :)

Its great to hear from Julie...some retired players we hear quite a bit of, JHD, as she was on tour, is often overlooked...wish she'd given a sign she was coming back though.:sad:

A shame, as she was the greatest player ever and that. :)

gmak
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:11 AM
2000 was a tough year for me with 3 of my all-time faves retiring :(

julie, dominique and irina :sad:

onebridgecafe
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks a lot for this translation.

Julie/Ai made a great team. I miss the chemistry of the two so much!! As a fan of Ai's doubles game, I believe Julie was Ai's real best partner among all she has won tournaments together---like, Seles, Date, Likhovtseva, Huber, and Tauziat.

I still think this way even after we saw another sweet lady Kim and Ai made even more excellent records.