PDA

View Full Version : Over-confident Tatiana

PointBlank
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:39 AM
:rolleyes: Tatiana Golovin :rolleyes:

Anna was freakin injured

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-paris&prov=ap&type=lgns

This isnt the whole article but this part:

PARIS (AP) -- French teen Tatiana Golovin erased two match points Tuesday and reached the second round of the Gaz de France when sixth-seeded Anna Smashnova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/96/)-Pistolesi quit with leg cramps.

The 16-year-old Golovin, a wild-card entry, was ahead 1-6, 7-5, 3-1 when her opponent stopped. ``I wore her down,'' Golovin said.

Berlin_Calling
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:48 AM
dont hate on Tati. Anna didnt get leg cramps by sitting on her ass. Tati indeed wore the backboard down by making her work.

mishar
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:53 AM
The full quote was something like "I'm very happy because I broke her down" (plier in French)

Pretty obnoxious thing to say when your opponent has retired from the match.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:55 AM
The full quote was something like "I'm very happy because I broke her down" (plier in French)

Pretty obnoxious thing to say when your opponent has retired from the match.

So what? Good for Tatiana. she did break her down ...

And you know, maybe she doesn't entirely believe Pistolesi's injury. Maybe she thinks Anna just wanted an excuse for blowing such a gigantic lead.

beauty_is_pink
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:00 AM
i agree... Golovin was winning anwaysy.. :rolleyes:

great job! :yeah:

Rothes
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Anna P did have two matchpoints but from that part of the game It was Anna's nerves that initially stop her from winning the game, the third set is where Anna Retired because of injury, thats where Tatiana initiated the Break Down of Anna, but in saying that she didn't wear her down initially to win, only after the injury she triumphed.

Still that does seem a little obnoxious to comment, especially if she had retired, I would accept the comment wholehartedly if Anna had not of retired though.

Martian Willow
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Cramp isn't a proper injury anyway.

Rothes
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:25 AM
The First notes just happen to me Do Re Mi :wavey:

mishar
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Not having seen the match, I can't comment on why Tatiana won and whether she "broke her down". Perhaps she did. I'm not some great Pistolesi fan, but I've seen her play her many long and tough three-set matches where she didn't retire. She's blown leads before as well as made huge comebacks so it seems really unlikely that she retired just out of shame of having blown the lead. I see no reason to doubt the legitimacy of Anna's injury.
While Tatiana should be happy with her victory, it just seems obnoxious to take credit for injuring the opposing player. Or to imply that the injury was fake.

OK-Tennis
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:41 AM
well, Tatiana did play her in Melbourne, i think she proved to herself she wasnt lucky:)

alon222
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:54 AM
well, Tatiana did play her in Melbourne, i think she proved to herself she wasnt lucky:)i hate you tati!!
your day will come

you will be cramping and then

you shud up your

mouth:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:08 AM
she has a point. its normally anna's job to wear down opponents.

Trent
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Alot of people do get them when they are worn down after a long time.

:p

Munchen
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Good win for Tati, she worked Pistolesi very good.

Steveg
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Having seen the match, I can confirm that Tatiana wore her down.

The exchanges in the first set lasted in majority 12-13 shots (by each player) at a very good pace. Tatiana was besides mixing long and shorter balls, right and left.

When she felt that Anna was tired (as from the middle of the second set), she increased the number of drop shots.

As from the middle of the second sets, the exchanges were shorter, mostly because Anna was tired (6-8 shots each player).

azza
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:57 AM
well she did save 2 match points Jordi

Glenn
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040210/capt.sge.jcw44.100204233823.photo00.default-289x328.jpg

Love the outfit.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Golovin will be top 50 by year's end, mark my words..

azza
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM
* Marks Spikey's words *

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Alot of people do get them when they are worn down after a long time.

:p

Willow is referring to the fact that it's a loss of conditioning, not an injury, and was defined as such until about 15 years ago.

Greenout
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:22 AM
A vain comment from a French speaker? Alert the media!!!! :haha:
I'll have to actually watch her play, and wait for more choice gold
nuggets of wisdom from the little Gallic frowner. She better
not be another Sarah Pitkowski. ;)

Sammm
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
She's only young. Let her be arrogant before the tour beats her down.

sartrista7
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
If Smashnova-Pistolesi's retired because of cramps (after only 23 games! indoors!) then Tati's damn right that she wore Anna down - because Anna's entire game is based around her superb conditioning, and if even that gives way then I think the opponent has to take the credit.

Allez Tati! :D

Fantastic
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Ew! Tatiana's only 15 and the outfit in that picture makes her look like Sandrine Testud.

TatiAnnahølic
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:50 PM
:haha:@ Pointblank

you sore loser assume it :lol: Tatiana is better than Anna ;)

rightous
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Agggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh Anna whats the craic with that????? Although Anna didn't start last yr very well, here's to a strong end of Feb and March:)

Darop.
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM
reminds me of a girl whos name started with K and ended with lara Koukalova :rolleyes:

alfajeffster
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I've seen a bevy of young attractive blondes over the past 30 years, most of whom were trying to be Chris Evert. This girl is for real, in my humble opinion. You look at her eyes and see the fire of good tennis there. I wish the best for her, and can't wait to see it!

P.S.- she's got good hands- someone get this girl to the net!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:52 PM
In her interview, she also said something to the effect of "I've been working really hard on my conditioning lately, and to outlast someone like Anna, who is known for her fitness and conditioning...I don't know how I did that."

So she's not an arrogant bitch. She DID outlast Anna...but she gave credit where it's due.

the cat
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Well said, Bradshaw.

Steveg
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I've seen a bevy of young attractive blondes over the past 30 years, most of whom were trying to be Chris Evert. This girl is for real, in my humble opinion. You look at her eyes and see the fire of good tennis there. I wish the best for her, and can't wait to see it!

P.S.- she's got good hands- someone get this girl to the net!Tatiana did go to the net during this match, middle of the first set and from time to time in the second set.

Her approach shots were just a bit short from time to time and she happened to get passed. But when her approach shots are right, she is good at the net too :) .

*JR*
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:42 PM
A little bit of arrogance is Almost A necessity in high-level sports. (As in "what Belgian has won all 3 Slam finals vs. what other Belgian"). Plus a 15 y.o. hasn't learned "media etiquette" yet, being busy with things like school and hours of tennis practice. This is like bashing Kutuzova (also 15) for saying (figuratively, of course) that she goes out there wanting to "kill her opponent".

Glenn
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:50 PM
So... can Golovin beat Hantuchova?

Crazy Canuck
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:59 PM
A little bit of arrogance is Almost A necessity in high-level sports. (As in "what Belgian has won all 3 Slam finals vs. what other Belgian"). Plus a 15 y.o. hasn't learned "media etiquette" yet, being busy with things like school and hours of tennis practice. This is like bashing Kutuzova (also 15) for saying (figuratively, of course) that she goes out there wanting to "kill her opponent".
Absolutely!

I'm very happy with this result. Hopefully she wins her next match too, and talks about how she outlasted her too ;)

*JR*
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM
(Adds Becca to list of Favorite Female posters). :D

Andrew.
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Well, let's see, Anna pulls a Vera and blows a HUGE lead, ends up being worn down by Tatiana, and is forced to retire. Stop pulling the bitch card out on Tatiana. She did wear her down. I don't know why that's even a question.

The girl is really happy that she fought back and won. Let her have that. Her statemnt wasn't overly arrogant - it was actually fact.

Allez Tatiana.

the cat
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Well said, JR.