PDA

View Full Version : If on court coaching were allowed....

VW#1
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Would someone like Jana Novotna have won more slams? Or would Mary Joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver, and Kim Clijsters have won a slam? Obviously Kim still has a chance, but would she have won one by now if on court coaching were allowed?

azza
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:44 AM
no

tennnisfannn
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
On court coaching happens in the Fed and Davis cups, I don't think it makes alot of difference. Don't forget the opponents also get to be coached as well. What could Kim's coach have told her on court that he hadn't said to her before she went on court. Rodrigues would have had Justine finishing off that final in two.
I don't see why coaching shouldn't be allowed players still have to deliver. I watched Philipousis lose both his Davis cup matches to players he would usually beat, Bjorkman and Enquist, great players but mark is better. No amount of encouraging, coaching and strategizing on court earned him even a set.

Gandalf
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM
I don't think on-court coaching would avoid any choking...tactical mistakes, maybe (so Anna K. could have benefited from this, if only Alla wasn't her coach!).

Anyway, I'm against on-court coaching: not only the best players have the best coaches, but also for some players having her 'coach' on court would be more detrimental than benefitial (what if Jelena, Pierce or Lucic had her parents on court while losing?)