PDA

View Full Version : Seles article... finally some news.

mishar
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Wish it were better news....

Frustrated Seles sits and watches as foot heals

by Mic Huber — Feb 06, 2004

Monica Seles was thousands of miles away from where the Australian Open was being played, but the Sarasota resident kept close tabs on the year's first Grand Slam event. Seles paid particular attention to the way Marat Safin overcame an injury that kept him away from tennis much of last year to make a run to the final against Roger Federer.

"The way he was able to play so many matches was amazing," Seles said.

She also took note of the disappointment of Amelie Mauresmo, who reached the quarterfinals, only to have to default because of a back injury.

"I felt so bad for her," Seles said. "To get that far, then not be able to play."

Seles can commiserate with any player dealing with pain and injury. The former No. 1 player in the world has dealt with her share of pain and injury, and is now trying to rehabilitate from a foot injury that threatens her career. Seles missed most of last year with the foot injury and has no idea when, or if, she will be back on tour.

"There is no timetable," Seles said recently. She wishes there was.

Seles admits to be frustrated by the lingering injury. She sometimes sits and holds a racket in her hand but is unable to get out on a court. She can't run.

"I can't walk on the sand."

Seles has been in a cast for the past nine weeks and will be for another three or four weeks. Then there will be another MRI to determine the condition of her left foot and whether the bone that became split has been healing. Seles has spent most of her time recently in New York, where her rehab has included laser treatments. She really can't even enjoy things like trying out new restaurants because she has been on a low-carb diet in an attempt to stay in shape. And it is hard to enjoy much of anything else because of the brutal winter weather in New York.

"I had to come home for a while," Seles said. "It has been so incredibly cold. I missed the Sarasota weather."

She also misses not being able to play tennis, and holds out hope that her career is not finished. But she also has declined to have surgery on the foot. She has never had surgery and is determined not to start now.

Seles, now 30, finished last year out of the top 10. That was the first time that has happened (except for 1994, when she didn't compete after being stabbed in 1993) since 1988, her first year on the tour.

If there is a tennis god, Seles' foot will heal and she will be able to return to the game. One of the best competitors (and genuinely one of the nicest and most sincere players) in the game, Seles deserves to go out fighting instead of quietly.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040206/COLUMNIST28/402060340/1091/SPORTS02

harloo
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Monica:sad:

arcus
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:36 AM
I was so hoping that she had had definitive surgery.....

I thought she had had some operative procedure, since she was in a cast.
Conservative treatment of lower extremity stress fractures is so often disapointing. .. :-(

Get under the knife u fool or do what it takes, so u can come back and kick some ass!!!!!!!

Oh!, and yeah, for Gods sake keep to the diet....... :-) wanna see u skinny and quick and razor sharp.......:-)

faboozadoo15
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:36 AM
i can't describe how this makes me feel. she deserves so much more than this. hopefulla all goes well and she will be able to play a little more, or just be able to run around normally.

faboozadoo15
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:38 AM
I was so hoping that she had had difinitive surgery.....

I thought she had had some procedure, isince she was in a cast. Conservative treatment of lower extremity stress fractures is so often disapointing. .. :-(

Get under the knife u fool or do what it takes, so u can come back and kick some ass!!!!!!!

the surgery is not nearly a guarantee. she risks more having the surgery than what she is doing now. she's looking a little bit past her career. the surgery could be quite damaging.

Volcana
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:42 AM
I hope she's swimming a LOT. How can you keep in ANY sort of condition when you can't even walk on a soft forgiving surface? This sounds like way more than http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/, which is what i thought the problem was.

Plantar Fasciitis Overview:

Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. It occurs when the long, flat ligament on the bottom of the foot (plantar fascia) (javascript:plantar_fasciitis_diagram()) stretches irregularly and develops small tears that cause the ligament to become inflamed (javascript:inflamed_plantar_fasciitis_diagram()). This inflammation is caused most often by walking with an abnormal step (abnormal inward twisting of the foot, called pronation). Over time, this slightly abnormal step may increase tension on the plantar fascia and cause it to become inflamed (javascript:inflamed_plantar_fasciitis_diagram()).

Treatment without surgery is usually successful in relieving the inflammation and pain of plantar fasciitis, especially if treatment is started when the symptoms of heel pain are first noticed.

Plantar fasciitis can be aggravated by certain activities that put repeated stress on the plantar fascia ligament (javascript:plantar_fasciitis_diagram()). Activities such as prolonged walking or standing, or sports such as running or basketball (http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/plantar_fasciitis_active.php), can put additional stress on the plantar fascia ligament. If the heel pain is not treated, plantar fasciitis can become long-lasting (chronic) and cause constant heel pain while standing or walking. Other health conditions, such as being overweight, can put additional stress on the ligament.

disposablehero
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I'm glad to hear she is adhering to a diet. It would be a shame if her foot healed and she came back too out of shape to be a contender.

disposablehero
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:47 AM
I hope she's swimming a LOT. How can you keep in ANY sort of condition when you can't even walk on a soft forgiving surface? This sounds like way more than http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/, which is what i thought the problem was.
Plantar Fascitis was only a side effect of the stress fracture, which is the primary problem and has been since mid-1999.

arcus
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:53 AM
depends on the fracture type and location. Of course no one here believes I know what im saying, or that this is what I do for a living..... ;-). But it is. ...........
Some of these foot stresss fractures are initially treated with rest, but many require surgical intervention if not responding. Hers did not respond in a big way. It really does depend on the bone involved and the degree of fracture and displacement ect.

I hope Monica didnt say no to surgery against good advice.

It might well be too late. But conservative Mx of these fractures is frequently unsuccesful, particularly in elite athletes, who stress the bones so much after rest........

Monica doesnt need "some success". Shes a champion. She should be at her best or not play, IMO. I want to see her at her best.

Lets face it, she doesn't need to play more cos she wants to afford movie channels on her cable.. :-)

She should be competing to win slams.
And, damn I hope she does, now that would be a great story....-)

LindsayRocks89
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:55 AM
monica :sad:

arcus
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Did anyone else thingk that it was unusual that pam shriver and MJF pretty much did not mention monica in the aus open broadcasts, despite endless discussions of injured players?

mishar
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:06 AM
It seems that the surgery has potentially hazardous side effects. Here's what I found from googling sesamoid fracture:

Treatment for a sesamoid fracture involves keeping the injured foot completely immobilized without weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks. The first metatarsophalangeal joint also must be fully immobilized.

If pain persists in the forefoot after 8 weeks of treatment, or if joint function is not restored in the first metatarsophalangeal joint, asesamoidectomy may be necessary. This procedure is a last resort, however, because removal of one or both sesamoid bones, or damage to the surrounding soft tissue structures, can severely compromise normal foot function. For example, surgically removing the medial sesamoid requires an incision along the inner side (medial aspect) of the big toe's metatarsophalangeal joint. Cutting these tissues may damage the joint capsule, resulting in weakness and a misalignment of the metatarsal-phalangeal joint and leading to the development of a bunion.

A bunion is a bulge or bump that develops on the side of the foot, near the base of the big toe. Physicians call this deformity hallux abducto valgus or HAV, meaning the hallux turns away (abducts) from the midline of the foot and twists so the inside edge touches the ground and the outside edge turns upward. Essentially, it is the big toe's tendency to point to the outside of the foot. The condition worsens over time, causing discomfort, pain, skin problems (e.g., corns and lesions), and difficulty walking.

Foot problems are notoriously difficult to heal, surgery or not. Look at Hingis and Kournikova.

Jarrett
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Hmm... well. I don't know what to say. I hope the next MRI shows that is it healed. I am just glad that she hasn't given up and is trying to keep in shape on the sidelines.

Volcana
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Did anyone else thingk that it was unusual that pam shriver and MJF pretty much did not mention monica in the aus open broadcasts, despite endless discussions of injured players?
No. Pam and Mary jo both PLAYED Monica. They do appreciate her. But it'sbeen so long since she was a threat to win a slam. Her last slam final was RG '98! I think they just focused on missing players who THEY FELT would have been contenders had they been there.

arcus
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:14 AM
No. Pam and Mary jo both PLAYED Monica. They do appreciate her. But it'sbeen so long since she was a threat to win a slam. Her last slam final was RG '98! I think they just focused on missing players who THEY FELT would have been contenders had they been there.

They are professional enough to recognise that monica seles is about as popular and recognizable as any player has been over the last couple of decades. They used to talk about her a lot, but not no more. Not at all. I took it as a potential sign that they had inside information that she was not going to come back. Hope that im wrong. Maybe they knew that she did not want the pubicity while she was considering options. That would be more patatable... :-)

mishar
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Clearly her comeback (if there is to be one) will take awhile. Based on this article, it seems the earliest she could even begin playing/getting into shape would be the beginning of March -- possibly she could come back for Charleston, but that's a best-case scenario. I'm sure Mary Joe and Pam know how uncertain her prospects for return are.

And Volcana you haven't thought Monica was a contender for years. That's your right. But I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine that a healthy, fit Monica could have done some serious damage at this year's Australian Open --- neither Kim nor Justine were playing so well and it's Monica's best surface. Venus out, no serena, no Jennifer. I'm not saying she would have won, but contender? Sure.

AjdeNate!
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Hingis was a threa to win this year's AO?

Diya
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:36 AM
So is the March comeback still on ?:sad: I can't wait :( :fiery:

Get Well soon Monica :kiss: :hearts: :worship:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM
ok mon!its ok!just get well and make a stellar comeback!

faboozadoo15
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Hingis was a threa to win this year's AO?
exactly....

also, seles would have gone far had she played 80% of her 30 year old body's potential...

AND it hasn't been that long since she was in position to win a slam-- 2002 ringing bells for anybody but me? she beat venus and lost a 6-4 third set semi to martina hingis who squandered her chances in the final.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:06 AM

I think that means they don't really expect to see her back.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:11 AM
exactly....

also, seles would have gone far had she played 80% of her 30 year old body's potential...

AND it hasn't been that long since she was in position to win a slam-- 2002 ringing bells for anybody but me? she beat venus and lost a 6-4 third set semi to martina hingis who squandered her chances in the final.

fab ...

I agree with Volcana here. I haven't really believed in Monica's chances for a Slam title since 1999. The 2002 Australian was obviously the closest she's come in the last four, five years ... but even when she managed to pull an upset of an elite player on the biggest stage, she couldn't get past another in the semifinals.

But that's not important.

Who knows if Monica will be back ... not I. It's hard to see this problem just going away for a year, two years. Though I suppose anything can happen. Wait and see.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Monica is done. She should have spent the last 4 years getting in the best shape of her life so she could raise her chances at winning one last major. She never gave herself the chance to be 100% fit.

It is just too late and personally if she comes back she'll soon retire. I would really like to see her healthy and playing but the news imho doesn't sound good.

Please Monica if u can compete again.. come back 100% fit as hell and go out witha BANG girlfriend!!!

esquímaux
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:28 AM
...She sometimes sits and holds a racket in her hand but is unable to get out on a court...
:tears:

Miranda
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:45 AM
goran can still come back at 32 after so many surgeries, monica also can, just try your best, Monica, i will be waiting for you patiently :wavey:

Bright Red
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:12 AM
who would want to eat money...

:eek:

vancouverite
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Well, not the most encouraging news in the world...:sad: I can't bring myself to mention the 'R' word with respect to Monica, so I won't, but without her on the tour, it's a much less interesting game for me:( !

I just pray she gets the best possible medical advice and treatment and returns fit and ready to rumble. But above all else, I want her to be as happy and contented in whatever she chooses to do as she's made me watching her dazzling career since 1988!

Monica, you're in a class above all other tennis players I've ever seen!:kiss:

hingis-seles
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Monica, I love you no matter what! You deserve the best. :kiss:

Sammm
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Damn; I was sure she'd be back for Miami! This is so unfair.

Hagar
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Should she not for once consider surgery?

Lady
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Such a sad article. :sad:

Wish all the best to Monica! :worship:

galadriel
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM
goran can still come back at 32 after so many surgeries, monica also can, just try your best, Monica, i will be waiting for you patiently :wavey:
Well said Miranda :worship:

lauryn
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Not good news at all :sad:

hythger
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:41 PM
sad news:sad:
get well soon Monica!:worship:

rada
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM
come back soon.i miss her tennis she was and always be the best to watch play ;)

Spirit
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Pam and Mary Joe are both friends of Monica. It's possible they didn't mention her at her own request.

Spirit
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:23 PM
And thank you for the article.

rfs1999
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:48 PM
sad

alfajeffster
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I was so hoping that she had had definitive surgery.....

I thought she had had some operative procedure, since she was in a cast.
Conservative treatment of lower extremity stress fractures is so often disapointing. .. :-(

Oh!, and yeah, for Gods sake keep to the diet....... :-) wanna see u skinny and quick and razor sharp.......:-)
Unfortunately, in most cases, there is nothing a knife can do to improve a stress fracture to one of the many bones in the human foot. I'd pay good money to see her out there again, but reading this is no fun.

razzponic
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I miss Monica so much....

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:27 PM
please heal you stupid foot :sad::sad:

we love you monica :hug:

Bероника
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:03 PM
These are sad news

jenny161185
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:43 PM
poor girl I was really hoping to see her back in March and in good form for the french!

Roxers
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:01 PM
:sad: :sad:

she doesnt deserve this!

oggie
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:33 PM
It is good to finally hear news on Monica even if they are not that good.
I really hope that the injury gets better. We miss you Monica!!!

Topher950
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:47 PM
AHHHHH Tennis just is not what it used to be...I miss monica.....venus...serena...but MOST OF ALL MONICA>.....GET BETTER MONICA!!!!

disposablehero
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:56 PM
fab ...

I agree with Volcana here. I haven't really believed in Monica's chances for a Slam title since 1999. The 2002 Australian was obviously the closest she's come in the last four, five years ... but even when she managed to pull an upset of an elite player on the biggest stage, she couldn't get past another in the semifinals.

But that's not important.

Who knows if Monica will be back ... not I. It's hard to see this problem just going away for a year, two years. Though I suppose anything can happen. Wait and see.
Monica has 12 wins against the Williams, the Belgians, and Capriati since the beginning of 2000. Not to mention the various wins over Davenport, Hingis, and Mauresmo. How many contenders do you feel there are for any given Slam? 3? I'm sure Capriati was one of YOUR chosen 3 going into the 01 Australian. Monica was #4 in the world and closing in on 3rd less than 18 months ago, and she didn't play her way out of that spot, she sat her way out, the same way the Williams have been recently.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:26 PM
disposable come on, V@S are still young and when they come back they are at least fit.

Seles had her chances but refused to work on her problem areas. Like weight, and going to the net. Even though I think Monica is a great person and a champion, realistically from a tennis standpoint she is done. She can compete but I really don't think she has a chance in hell of winning another major. I mean if her foot heals who is to say that it won't just re-injured again? It is obvious that Monica is the type of person who does not like to get cut on. I know lots of people like herself. Right now Monica is taking her tennis one day at a time. Rest foot, play tennis, rest foot play tennis. The facts are she will not get surgery so it is enevitable that she will retire due to some injury.

Andrew.
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Monica :sad: This is such bad news. If she compes back, realisticly she could not be able to play until at least Amelia Island, if not Roland Garros. :sad:

Hots4Safin
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:11 PM
So my housemate's sister was in town this week and apparently she's a pretty good friend of Monica. She told me that Monica is not "planning" on playing at all this year. Obviously this is sort of through the grape vine, so don't crucify me....just relaying what I heard.

faboozadoo15
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Monica has 12 wins against the Williams, the Belgians, and Capriati since the beginning of 2000. Not to mention the various wins over Davenport, Hingis, and Mauresmo. How many contenders do you feel there are for any given Slam? 3? I'm sure Capriati was one of YOUR chosen 3 going into the 01 Australian. Monica was #4 in the world and closing in on 3rd less than 18 months ago, and she didn't play her way out of that spot, she sat her way out, the same way the Williams have been recently.
and also if monica would have won wimbledon 2002, she would have been #1 in the world.

edit... maybe only 2... i'll try and find.

Veritas
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:34 PM
...and me thinks if Monica won wimbledon 1991 or 1992, she'd be seen alongside the likes of graf, navaratilova, evert-lloyd and court-smith.

and Go Monica!!! :worship:

hingis-seles
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Monica :worship:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:09 AM
poor girl I was really hoping to see her back in March and in good form for the french!
Well..hopefully she will be better in time for the Summer Hardcourts...i would also love to see her in Philly this year.. :)

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:15 AM
well there should be news when she gets her cast off and gets another mri... so this isn't really bad news yet. i mean, it's terrible that she's still in pain, but there's still hope.

Topher950
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:33 AM
I Just Hope That She Gets Better For Life...i Really Miss Her Playing...put From What It Sounds Like She Cant Even Use Her Fool. I Know What This Is Like I Broke My Cuboid Bone....well Tore Ligaments That Broke Off A Piece Of The Bone....and Its Never Been The Same...i Went Througth Therapy And Everything....just When I Thought It Was Getting Better...it Hadnt Bothered Me In About A Month....it Started To Hurt A Couple Nights Ago....so Its Therapy Again I Guess. So Get Better Monica!!

R&J
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:57 AM
I was a little sad when I read this article - alot of us have been waiting to hear how Monica is doing, and now we finally have some info. But its not what we all wanted I think. The article seems to give me the feeling that Monica does want to come back - but the injury is really having a hard time healing. And I think Monica is getting tired of waiting for it to be healed enough to play competitive tennis. Hopefully when she has the MRI in a few weeks, there will be some good news.

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:28 AM
disposable come on, V@S are still young and when they come back they are at least fit.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly the difference is between Monica and Venus. Both have had high spots in the past couple of year, but neither has been able to close the deal in a Slam. Venus was already what, #3 or #4 when she went out with an injury. Monica loses early in the Australian and Roland Garros last year, it is because she is past it? Not because she twisted her ankle in Australia which led to a recurrance of her fracture by well before Roland Garros? No, not for Monica. She supposedly past it. Of course, when VENUS loses early, it is merely a temporary issue caused by her recovering from injuries. Of course.

Be careful what you say about Monica. Those same words may have a familiar sting if they start hitting closer to home.

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:30 AM
...and me thinks if Monica won wimbledon 1991 or 1992, she'd be seen alongside the likes of graf, navaratilova, evert-lloyd and court-smith.

and Go Monica!!! :worship:
She is, just not by everyone.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:32 AM
She is, just not by everyone.
just those who count ;)

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Selective statistics, hero. Plus, you're re-fighting lost battles.

But I will humour you, for now.

Monica is 1-9 against Venus.

Monica is 1-4 against Serena.

3-10 against Lindsay ... only one win coming since 1996.

4-3 to Justine ... but lost the past three. Hasn't scored a win against her in two years.

5-15 against Hingis, losing almost every big match.

3-0 against Clijsters ... but they haven't played in two years either. And two of their meetings came in an exhibition. So really 1-0.

3-2 against Mauresmo ... losing two of the last three, winning the last 6-3 2-2 ret.

20 wins total, counting the two exhibition wins. 43 losses.

It gets much bleaker when you consider 2 of her wins over mauresmo came against a Mauresmo who was not a top player.

Bleaker still when realize all of her 4 wins over JHH came before she was a Slam champ. Even a year before that ...

And yet bleaker when you deduct those three wins against pre-#1 Clijsters and the two she knocked up on Lindsay in 1996.

Of course, she leads the h2h with Jennifer 9-5 ... but since 2001, 2-2. Not bad ...

But again, you're fighting lost battles. If you thought Monica was going to win a Slam over the last four years, you were wrong and I was right. Your argument that I should have counted her as a contender is laughable in light of the fact that she didn't win. ;) She just wasn't able to beat the best in the sport when it counted. The one time she did since her win over graf at AO 1999 (2002 AO over Venus), she was stopped in the next round by another elite player.

So maybe your number doctoring would've impressed a less knowledgable fan, but sorry, I'm not buying that shit.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:42 AM
and also if monica would have won wimbledon 2002, she would have been #1 in the world.

edit... maybe only 2... i'll try and find.

Um ....

what would your point be?

If Monica had won the Grand Slam and all the Tier I's in 2002 she would've been #1 in the world. But she didn't and she wasn't.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:44 AM
I'm trying to figure out what exactly the difference is between Monica and Venus. Both have had high spots in the past couple of year, but neither has been able to close the deal in a Slam. Venus was already what, #3 or #4 when she went out with an injury. Monica loses early in the Australian and Roland Garros last year, it is because she is past it? Not because she twisted her ankle in Australia which led to a recurrance of her fracture by well before Roland Garros? No, not for Monica. She supposedly past it. Of course, when VENUS loses early, it is merely a temporary issue caused by her recovering from injuries. Of course.

Be careful what you say about Monica. Those same words may have a familiar sting if they start hitting closer to home.

I've heard many people say Venus is "past it". I don't necessarily agree ... but it's been said a lot.

And I suppose the diff between Seles and Venus would be about 7 years.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:48 AM
sure- monica has a terrible record against the williams sisters and davenport... but she's beaten all of them.
don't begrudge seles her 4 wins over henin and say the last 3 count more-- because monica was quite injured during the last two...
and mauresmo-- she outplayed her in the first set in dubai and then mauresmo did something to her leg.

monica has still been an honest contender for everything she's entered. a lot of players have fewer wins against the top players from a generation after their own.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Um ....

what would your point be?

If Monica had won the Grand Slam and all the Tier I's in 2002 she would've been #1 in the world. But she didn't and she wasn't.
just showing that monica has been in top position. not many girls ever have the opportunity to become #1... amelie has never been as close to #1... just goes to show that she contends just as much as anybody.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:50 AM
a lot of players have fewer wins against the top players from a generation after their own.

I agree, but Hero was colouring the numbers in favour of Monica. I couldn't let that slide.

But like I said, I don't think Seles was in the running for a Slam title since 1999. There's no evidence otherwise either, and if she comes back, she's still not going to be.

Don't mean to be harsh, but he called me out.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:51 AM
just showing that monica has been in top position. not many girls ever have the opportunity to become #1... amelie has never been as close to #1... just goes to show that she contends just as much as anybody.

But she doesn't, man, she doesn't.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:52 AM
u didn't think monica had a shot at the 02 aussi???
if that's not a "shot" then i don't know what that is... do u have to be up 6-0 5-0 and then lose in the final to have had a shot?

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:53 AM
But she doesn't, man, she doesn't.
top 8 or 4 at every slam is contending... and if it isn't then there would be 2 contenders at each slam...

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:55 AM
u didn't think monica had a shot at the 02 aussi???
if that's not a "shot" then i don't know what that is... do u have to be up 6-0 5-0 and then lose in the final to have had a shot?

Well, she had a shot like Sugiyama did.

2002 Aussie was the one occasion she managed to beat an elite player on the big stage. She proved there that she could do that. She also proved she couldn't do it again two days later. No Slam.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:57 AM
top 8 or 4 at every slam is contending... and if it isn't then there would be 2 contenders at each slam...

there often were 2 contenders at each Slam in 2002.

Look, I'm sorry if you didn't see that Seles no longer had it to win Slams.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:59 AM
not be be rude to ai, but monica beat her in her hometown limping through the match last year... monica has a better shot than her.

and i know she didn't win the slam... but she's a consistent contender... u havn't been able to say anything convincing contrary to that. there's a reaosn why she always breezed through the first 4 rounds. bc she's supposed to.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:01 AM
there often were 2 contenders at each Slam in 2002.

Look, I'm sorry if you didn't see that Seles no longer had it to win Slams.
well then it's pointless to argue if you only think there are 2 players contending for a slam of 128 people.. :rolleyes:

consistently placing above 120 of those ppl is no mistake.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:01 AM
not be be rude to ai, but monica beat her in her hometown limping through the match last year... monica has a better shot than her.

and i know she didn't win the slam... but she's a consistent contender... u havn't been able to say anything convincing contrary to that. there's a reaosn why she always breezed through the first 4 rounds. bc she's supposed to.

Fab .... I haven't been able to say anything convincing contrary to that? Well how about ...

SHE HAS NOT WON A SLAM FOR EIGHT YEARS.

SHE HAS NOT BEEN IN A MAJOR FINAL FOR ALMOST SIX.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:02 AM
well then it's pointless to argue if you only think there are 2 players contending for a slam of 128 people.. :rolleyes:

consistently placing above 120 of those ppl is no mistake.

of course not. Monica was a consistent quarterfinal contender.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Fab .... I haven't been able to say anything convincing contrary to that? Well how about ...

SHE HAS NOT WON A SLAM FOR EIGHT YEARS.

SHE HAS NOT BEEN IN A MAJOR FINAL FOR ALMOST SIX.
true... that's fact. but then you obviously cannot consider myskina, ai, elena, petrova, rubin, or mauresmo a slam contender.

hell even lindsay davenport cannot be a slam contender in your mind anymore. and we can forget about jennifer...

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM
true... that's fact. but then you obviously cannot consider myskina, ai, elena, petrova, rubin, or mauresmo a slam contender.

hell even lindsay davenport cannot be a slam contender in your mind anymore. and we can forget about jennifer...

What do you know? None of those players you mentioned (with the possible, blue moon, exception of Mauresmo) are Slam contenders, at this point, in my mind.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM
But.

I cannot fully rule out Dementieva, Myskina, Petrova and the aforementioned Mauresmo as I believe them to be still improving. But as it stands right now, only Mauresmo has a shot at the next major, and it's not a big one.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM
of course not. Monica was a consistent quarterfinal contender.
that paints things a different color... she always made the quarters... that's not contending... that's winning that battle.

we obviously have differing opinions of what a contender is.

and yours is wrong in terms of the english language and in tennis terms...

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:11 AM
that paints things a different color... she always made the quarters... that's not contending... that's winning that battle.

we obviously have differing opinions of what a contender is.

and yours is wrong in terms of the english language and in tennis terms...

No, mine is not wrong. If you were speaking of her as a contender to make the quarterfinals, then absolutely she is and I never said otherwise. If you were speaking of her as a contender to win Slams since 1999 (arbitrary date, but it was when I made this realization about Seles), you were completely wrong, as she never did.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:16 AM
No, mine is not wrong. If you were speaking of her as a contender to make the quarterfinals, then absolutely she is and I never said otherwise. If you were speaking of her as a contender to win Slams since 1999 (arbitrary date, but it was when I made this realization about Seles), you were completely wrong, as she never did.
you're running in circles around your own misconception. just bc someone doesn't win, doesn't mean they never contended...
it's that simple.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:18 AM
If she is always losing in the QF or SF, that is the exact opposite of "contender," according to the English language.

LOL.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:19 AM
you're running in circles around your own misconception. just bc someone doesn't win, doesn't mean they never contended...
it's that simple.

No, friend. You are misunderstanding how we are using the word "contender".

A contender is very basically a contestant. Monica sure is that when she plays a Slam.

BUT. We were not using the term so loosely. We were talking about a contender to WIN THE TITLE, ie, a favorite. That is what i was arguing Monica was not, and that is what I am wholly right about.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I think this whole discussion has been about contending to win Slams. Otherwise there would be no argument, right?

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM
If she is always losing in the QF or SF, that is the exact opposite of "contender," according to the English language.

LOL.
where did you find this contrary definition??

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:23 AM

It's not a contrary definition, it's the correct definition in the context in which we have been using the word.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:23 AM

I actually read the discussion and used context to determine what she was contending for. You and I are contenders as well. But what we are contending for depends upon the discussion. This one is about winning majors, not new shoes or the slut down the street.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM
when you consistently make the top 8 or 4 of 128 "contestants" you are a contender. you are close to winning a slam, imo.

in anything else if someone placed top 8 or even top 4 out of so many people... surely they were a contender, even if you break down the definition of meaning that that said person had a shot at winning the whole thing.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:26 AM
when you consistently make the top 8 or 4 of 128 "contestants" you are a contender. you are close to winning a slam, imo.

in anything else if someone placed top 8 or even top 4 out of so many people... surely they were a contender, even if you break down the definition of meaning that that said person had a shot at winning the whole thing.

Not by her standard of play is what the people who think she is not contending contend (heh).

If they get to the quarterfinals and everyone else DIES, sure, she can win a title.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:28 AM

So you admit you were not applying the word properly to this discussion. Ok.

Now, in tennis, there is no placing. It's not like golf where you play the course and not your opponents. You play other people, and if you lose, you're out. Monica couldn't win a Slam after 1996 because there was always somebody she couldn't beat on the big occasions. I realized this in 1999. She was never going to be able to defeat Davenport, Hingis, Venus and Serena in the majors ... and on the off chance that she did, she'd play another member of that quad in the next round and lose.

Not a contender for the title, because she never had a shot at winning.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Not by her standard of play is what the people who think she is not contending contend (heh).

If they get to the quarterfinals and everyone else DIES, sure, she can win a title.
:rolleyes: so if some other player consistently got to the quarterfinals and it just wasn't monica... then that person would be a contender? um okay. because they had a better shot of winning the title if they lost in the same round?

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:29 AM
:rolleyes: so if some other player consistently got to the quarterfinals and it just wasn't monica... then that person would be a contender? um okay. because they had a better shot of winning the title if they lost in the same round?

No. Did I say that? No.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:30 AM
But Fab, since you knew that we were discussing the word "contender" as to mean the favorite or the front-runner for the title, i find it a little desperate that you decided to pull out the most basic meaning of the word and tell me I was suffering from a misconception.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Clearly it's because we're saying this about Monica. Twice, now, faboozadoozamoocoocoogajoob has said "You wouldn't say this about other players" because that's his only point.

Uh, yeah we would. Yeah we have. Yeah we do.

Any other theories? Because that one's done for.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:34 AM
So you admit you were not applying the word properly to this discussion. Ok.

Now, in tennis, there is no placing. It's not like golf where you play the course and not your opponents. You play other people, and if you lose, you're out. Monica couldn't win a Slam after 1996 because there was always somebody she couldn't beat on the big occasions. I realized this in 1999. She was never going to be able to defeat Davenport, Hingis, Venus and Serena in the majors ... and on the off chance that she did, she'd play another member of that quad in the next round and lose.

Not a contender for the title, because she never had a shot at winning.
you're being completely subjective and not looking at the results. of course i know that there's no "placing" but if you keep winning, you get paid more per round and more $, and if you lose in the quarters it's like tieing for 8th.

we just disagree on what a contender is. because if i see ANYONE getting to the final 8 on all surfaces sometimes final 4. that's contending.

you can look to any slam that anyone ever played that they did not win and say "SEE SEE THAT PERSON HAD NO CHANCE" and than i say, "but they made it pretty far in the tournament...." and then u say "STILL, NO CHANCE, NO CHANCE." i can see how this is going nowehere.

Hurley
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Point that word "subjective" at yourself, and that'd be a good start.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:35 AM
But Fab, since you knew that we were discussing the word "contender" as to mean the favorite or the front-runner for the title, i find it a little desperate that you decided to pull out the most basic meaning of the word and tell me I was suffering from a misconception.
u cannot have simply 1 contender when u pick ppl at the beginning of a tournament.

contender does not = THE favorite. contender is anyone who has a shot or has recent proven results of going deep into a tournament.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Clearly it's because we're saying this about Monica. Twice, now, faboozadoozamoocoocoogajoob has said "You wouldn't say this about other players" because that's his only point.

Uh, yeah we would. Yeah we have. Yeah we do.

Any other theories? Because that one's done for.
well i didn't know that this had resorted to your pathetic version of "name calling" just yet.

and you're right on the fundamental that i wouldn't be in here defending any other player past midnight. but it being monica doesn't change my ming on what a contender is. if there was any other player right now who was consistently making quarters or semis-- i would say that they contended for all those slams, and that barring injury or something to that effect, would "contend" for the next one. it wouldn't matter who the player is. but you're right. i wouldn't be talking to you right now if this was just any other player.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM
you can look to any slam that anyone ever played that they did not win and say "SEE SEE THAT PERSON HAD NO CHANCE" and than i say, "but they made it pretty far in the tournament...." and then u say "STILL, NO CHANCE, NO CHANCE." i can see how this is going nowehere.

Again, she was a consistent QF contender. ;)

Look. When Nadia Petrova got to the SF of RG, I knew she wouldn't win the title. Why? Because she was never going to beat the players she had to contend with there. Same with Patty and Fabiola at this year's Australian. And the same is true of Seles. She made several QF's and on SF, but it was always clear to me (at least in past years) that she did have the legs to go any further. And she didn't. See, the difference is I'm not saying this with hindsight. I knew at the time and was proved right. She just wasn't gonna do it. That's why she was not a contender (I'm so sick of that word now) for the titles.

I mean, look. Davenport in 1999. She was a contender for the AO title. She didn't win it, but there was nobody there that she could not have *realistically* overcome. Just didn't happen, can't win 'em all.

Seles at USO 2002. Not a contender for the title. At least three players in that draw (2 of which would have been in her path and one that did stop her) that she had no chance of beating there, and at least two more who I would have favoured had they met.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:44 AM
u cannot have simply 1 contender when u pick ppl at the beginning of a tournament.

contender does not = THE favorite. contender is anyone who has a shot or has recent proven results of going deep into a tournament.

Yeah, anybody with a shot.

There's no reason why you can't hypothetically have only one contender for something.

Example: this year's AO. I gave only Clijsters, JHH, and Venus a shot at winning the title. Reverse the order of KC and JHH, and you have my list of greatest to least.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:45 AM
are u talking aus open 2002? and who are these 3-- venus- she beat her, hingis- lost 6-4 in the third set, and capriati-- and i think she could have beaten capriati... given her record against her and how badly jenn played in that match.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Yeah, anybody with a shot.

There's no reason why you can't hypothetically have only one contender for something.

Example: this year's AO. I gave only Clijsters, JHH, and Venus a shot at winning the title. Reverse the order of KC and JHH, and you have my list of greatest to least.
but that's 3 contenders with a WEAK field. before the last slam, the fields have been MUCH stronger. so, do u still only pick 3 ppl? no-- you pick 4-6 who have a realistic shot. listen, i know monica won no slam, but i think and will continue to think that she's had her chances. if you disagree- no big deal. but it's late and i need to finish a paper and get to bed.

night

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:59 AM
are u talking aus open 2002? and who are these 3-- venus- she beat her, hingis- lost 6-4 in the third set, and capriati-- and i think she could have beaten capriati... given her record against her and how badly jenn played in that match.

I said what tournament I was referring to, if you look.

Jarrett
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Do any of you actually think you are going to win each other over? Well whatever. I would just like my favorite to come back to the game she loves.

Jarrett
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Hey what the hell. What about US Open 2001? I would have called her a contender for that title for sure. No she didn't even come close to winning it but going in it wouldn't have been that bad of a bet considering the tennis she was playing coming into it.

faboozadoo15
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:10 AM
exactly! i think monica had a better chance there (uso 2001) than venus had at the australian this year for sure... but venus is different than monica... she's a contender always... no matter what. she could lose in the 4th round or before 5 times in a row but bc she's venus williams with so much potential she's a contender... being a contender has very little to do with results coming into these events, i suppose.

Chance
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM
thanks for the news, mishar.

Kart
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Get well soon Monica :hearts:.

Like the rest of your real fans, I'm willing to wait :kiss:.

arcus
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Pam and Mary Joe are both friends of Monica. It's possible they didn't mention her at her own request.

thats kinda what i was getting at. But why would monica not want any discussion of her return or lack thereof?.............

Maybe not talking about it helps her just to enjoy being out of the spot light for a bit, live her own life. If this is the case then there is a powerful argument to stay away form tennis for good. I couldnt blame her.

On the other hand, maybe they know it aint likely going to happpen, although its not something Monica has not addressed fully with rpesss and sponsors. I hope not.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing monica win another slam. Wimbledon would be sweet, but i dont think its going to happen...... the us would be good too

Jarrett
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM
thats kinda what i was getting at. But why would monica not want any discussion of her return or lack thereof?.............

Maybe not talking about it helps her just to enjoy being out of the spot light for a bit, live her own life. If this is the case then there is a powerful argument to stay away form tennis for good. I couldnt blame her.

IMO, I think it would just make her feel worse about not being able to play because of the injury.

disposablehero
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:44 PM
So maybe your number doctoring would've impressed a less knowledgable fan
Perhaps, but I will be hard pressed to find one.

Jarrett
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Perhaps, but I will be hard pressed to find one.
:spit:

Rocketta
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Awwww, that doesn't sound good about Monica...:sad:

Well if she decides to come back I hope it's with a "She BANGS" :dance:

M-SELESFAN
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I completely agree with faboozadoo! Monica WAS a contender for the USO in 2001 because of how well she played going into the event.

If memory serves me correct, many people believed she was a contender for the French Open in 2000 after coming off of her first Tier 1 win in Rome in years.

Anyone who can consistently get to the second week of a major is a contender. Monica consistently gets to the later rounds of a grand slam. Look at Monica's record for especially the AO and FO and with the exception of last year she has never lost before the QF's. Most people agree that the only Grand Slam title Monica can contend for is the AO and FO because of how well she plays there.

disposablehero
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Seles at USO 2002. Not a contender for the title. At least three players in that draw (2 of which would have been in her path and one that did stop her) that she had no chance of beating there, and at least two more who I would have favoured had they met.
Hilarious. Someone who accuses others of selectivity picks one Slam where Monica was 2 weeks off an injury, and faces the worst draw in the history of Women's tennis, and uses it to back up a claim that she was not a contender for 5 years. Hingis in the 4th round, Venus in the Quarters, Amelie Mauresmo or potentially Kim in the Semis, and Serena in the Final. Monica was not a contender at the 2002 US Open, but that was one of the few cases in a 5 year period. Funny that it was the example you chose.

M-SELESFAN
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Monica was not a contender for the USO in 2001? Um, I don't think so! She was not the favorite going in there but many people thought she had a chance considering how well she had played in the prior weeks. Beating Hingis (twice), Serena, and Capriati, as well as other top players in a 4 week period is pretty good for someone who was out with an injury for months.

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:59 AM
yes she was a contender. everyone had her in their top picks. her losing was a huge shock.

only in hindsight does it seem a mistake to expect so much when she played so many weeks. but for someone who had beaten all those players consecutively... everyone expected big things from her. there was no reason she wouldnt be able to beat hingis like she had the last 2 times they had played. problem was, she didn't get that far.

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't. Yes she was. No she wasn't.

Dear GAWD. I think that point of this thread was to give people an update on her condition. Not question if she and went she was a contender.

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:15 AM
I just don't get why you need to force your opinion on others as fact.

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:19 AM
I guess we should define the word "express" now? Hmm well. I just find it very closeminded by not looking at the other poster's opinion at all. Or trying to understand why they would think that way. I'll take the meaning of the word from dictionary.com:

One who contends; a contestant

I think that means everyone in the draw in a contender.

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:27 AM
I did look at other posters opinions, but I don't agree. And I do understand why some posters think a certain way, I just disagree with it, that's all.

All I see is a normal discussion, I don't see the problem if there is one.

I guess I understand. I just don't like it when someone says a good player doesn't even have chance to beat other good players.

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:36 AM
I could see her beating both Serena (1-1 that summer) and Hingis (2-0 that summer). Venus was in full flight so I don't know about beating her in the final but an okay chance to win.

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:59 AM
exactly. and in that loss to serena, serena may have played her best match ever. and im not saying that just bc it was against monica. she did nothing wrong, hit hard consistent winners that whole match in toronto (or was it montreal?)

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:10 AM
It was in Toronto. And let's not forget Monica saved a couple of match points against Serena at L.A.

The key point here is back to back. Yes Monica can beat Hingis. Yes Monica can beat Serena. Yes Monica can beat Venus. But in that particular tournement given the circonstance, beating them back to back was very very unlikely.
i can go along with that. but just admitting the possibility of her being able to beat anyone she goes up against makes her a "contender" at least...

and when she saved match points, she won the first set of that match 6-2 and led early on in the second, the second was streaky and the third was a WAR. it was a great match with monica winning virtually all the important points. that says something.

Jarrett
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Back to Back

QF W Serena WILLIAMS (USA) 6-2 3-6 7-6(2)
SF W Martina HINGIS (SUI) 6-3 1-6 6-4

Lost to Lindsay in the final which completely pissed me off. Double faulting to end the match.

William Hunt
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:47 AM
I thought she had retired.

faboozadoo15
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Back to Back

QF W Serena WILLIAMS (USA) 6-2 3-6 7-6(2)
SF W Martina HINGIS (SUI) 6-3 1-6 6-4

Lost to Lindsay in the final which completely pissed me off. Double faulting to end the match.
3 setters no les... ;)
i was really pissed when she lost to lindsay too. but im glad it was to lindsay and not someone who isn't as good as her.

M-SELESFAN
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM
and did monica beat sandrine the round before serena in a close 3-setter. so that was 3 hard fought 3 setters in a row. monica was still able to put up a valiant fight agaist serena in montreal after a long 4 weeks. were the testud/serena/hingis matches on back to back days?

Dawn Marie
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Monica again is 30 ish. She has to be in the best physical shape possible for her to have won and still win another major. It is obvious that she refuses to get in match shape and thus has burned out in the past during the big tourneys.

Monica hasn't been a contender for a slam since IMHO the 1998 French Open. She hasn't had the STAMINA to win 7 matches in a row. This is a fact becasue I have seen this with my own eyes.

The main thing is though that we need monica to get back healthy again and that foot must heal. I mean if you ask me, I think she is waiting on the outcome of this foot and then she is going to make a decision. If her foot gets better I think she'll play a year, but if it doesn't I think she is gonna retire.

From this article imho i think she is in limbo at the moment.

hingis-seles
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:37 AM
and did monica beat sandrine the round before serena in a close 3-setter. so that was 3 hard fought 3 setters in a row. monica was still able to put up a valiant fight agaist serena in montreal after a long 4 weeks. were the testud/serena/hingis matches on back to back days?
1r: Bye
2r: defeats Marissa Irvin 6-3,6-2
3r: defeats Sandrine Testud 3-6,7-6(5),6-4
QF: defeats Serena Williams 6-2,3-6,7-6(2)
SF: defeats Martina Hingis 6-3,1-6,6-4
F: lost to Lindsay Davenport 6-3,7-5

hingis-seles
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:40 AM
The week before:

1r: Bye
2r: defeats Evis Dominikovic 6-3,6-4
3r: defeats Meghann Shaughnessy 6-4,6-1
QF: defeats Jennifer Capriati 6-3,6-3
SF: defeats Martina Hingis 6-3,6-4
F: lost to Venus Williams 6-2,6-3

00seles04
Feb 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Hey all, this is my first post here so I'm quite excited. I have been visiting the site and seeing people and Seles fans alike interact.

I just wanna add a few things regarding this article. Obviously what Monica did up to this point seems like it's taking a slow time (which not to be confused by it not working). I too hoped she had the surgery but it does not look like surgery will correct a broken bone. At some point her body has to do the healing no matter what. I am sure she is itching to get on the court as much as we are awaiting her return but, as she would typically say, "there are limitations" which may impede her progress.

Assuming that all things will go well in a few months, I do have a few hopes/wishes when (and IF) she comes back this year. First off, I hope that she comes back healthy (kinda a duh statement but she's been known to maybe not take as much time off to really fully heal so hopefully she makes the right decision). Seeing Monica back on court will not be as sweet if she defaults again the next match. Secondly, I do hope she comes back thin (not thinner but thin), strong, and in shape. If it is correct that she is on a diet, I do hope this break she has had at least allowed her to lose some of the extra weight, which has a lot to do with this recurring foot problem. Although she will be limited by what she can do if she is on a cast, I think it is highly possible she can still lose weight by not being too immobile. I hope she has a great support team to help her with this.
Being this inactive for so long, she won't be as strong as she once did if she is able to work out and practice so she definitely has to get that strength back. And it has a lot to do with her recovery. Being in shape is not all about being thin and having ripped muscles. It is also about the mental part. We all know Monica is strong in that department but at least hopefully she will be ready for the grind once again and have that business attitude back. Of course all these things are just my hope. But I think these would do a lot of great things for Monica's comeback, especially the first one. Tracy Austin said during her match with Hingis at the Open that she would love to see Monica before retiring get into peak physical fitness, where she doesn't have to worry about getting to the ball but just the technique and execution. That statement I think says alot about what Monica needs to still work on and potentially accomplish.
Let's face it, she's not as young as she used to be. She needs to have as much advantage against others. Her movement especially, which has been the thorn on her side (to quote Chris Evert) will improve if and when Monica really dedicates herself to this. But what Monica decides to do is up to her. We will still support her no matter what, because I will as well. I just wish all the best for her that is why I am being optimistic and hopeful that when she comes back, she is a rejuvenated and transformed Monica.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanna get my opinion out there.