PDA

View Full Version : Who was the last person to be ranked inside the top 30 at 16?

Gowza
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:26 AM
some people still dont believe that sharapova is a rare talent, but i was wondering when and who was the last person to be ranked inside the top 30 as a 16 year old?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:26 AM
How old was Venus in fall 1997?

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Or Serena post-Indian Wells 1999?

CanadianBoy21
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Serena won her first slam at an amazing age at 17!!
Venus got to the Us Open at age 17(pretty sure).
Nancy C. was there, oh no, she wasn't.
Hingis of course was there.

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:33 AM
How old was Venus in fall 1997?

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Or Serena post-Indian Wells 1999?

Serena ended 1998 ranked #20 so she could have been in the top 30 at 16.

ys
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Kournikova was Top 15 by June 1998.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:36 AM
I think Serena got into the top 30 in 98 at the age of 16.

CanadianBoy21
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Kournikova was Top 15 by June 1998.
Kournikova definitely had it going in 1998 and 1999.
:bounce:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Kournikova definitely had it going in 1998 and 1999.
:bounce: then the injuries took their toll.. plus the whole glam life.. bye bye rankings..

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Dokic was ranked 34 at 16....

Volcana
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Sharapova could wind up having a career like Serena, or Martina,or Anna K. They all excelled young. Yet one flamed out with no real (singles) success, one was tremendously successful, for short time, and one is theoretically stillactive, but we haven't seenher on court in six months.

Are ANY of those the model you want for Sharapova?

When she wins her fourth GS title, I'll believe she's a 'rare' talent. right now, she could wind wind up Margaret Court and she could wind up Alexandra Stevenson.

ys
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:17 AM
right now, she could wind wind up Margaret Court and she could wind up Alexandra Stevenson.
Alexandra Stevenson never won and probably win a title. Sharapova has already won two,

Yak
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Alexandra Stevenson never won and probably win a title. Sharapova has already won two,
Stevenson is having problems winning a qualifying match so don't even put title in the same phrase :lol:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Some people still don't believe that Sharapova is a rare talent
I want to believe it.

But in reality Masha still has a very long way to go, and a lot of on court results to prove it.

AnDyDog621
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:35 AM
hope she gets past the 4th round this year

OK-Tennis
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Kim Clijsters was around there i believe by June 2000 on her 17th birthday,
but Maria IMO was better at 16 than Kim was anyways, that's pretty impressive

bandabou
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Itīs impressive...but there are different kinda top 30: thereīs the playing a lot of smallies top 30 and thereīs the making some noise at the biggies top 30....and Serena really was the last one to do so. beating Monica Seles and Mary Pierce back to back,etc....Maria has yet to show that in REAL matches.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Masha is nowhere near the likes of Serena in mental tennis or shotmaking at the age of 16. If she beats top 1-5 ranked players and wins a slam next year I will change my mind though:) Didn't a 16 year old Serena beat a Steffie Graf at Paris in 1998?

OK-Tennis
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:20 AM
do realize though the pace of present day tennis has increased significantly since then,
it's hard for a youngsters to play undeveloped, and with AER imposed on them,
making TOP 30 at 16 IMO is like Serena making TOP 20 years ago

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Masha is nowhere near the likes of Serena in mental tennis or shotmaking at the age of 16. If she beats top 1-5 ranked players and wins a slam next year I will change my mind though:) Didn't a 16 year old Serena beat a Steffie Graf at Paris in 1998?

Serena's only win over Graf came at Indian Wells 99 in the final.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:24 AM
How can it be so hard? Masha has won two tourneys already?

I think that is bullcrap. What is hard is mainting at a top level. Personally I am not going to talk about Masha being a dominator until I see how she plays being the target instead of being a targetee

Hell Anna has been playing pro for years and.. well??

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Knizzle are you sure honey?

I thought she beat Steffie in 98 at the GAZ in Paris? Now I am curious.:)

LUIS9
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:28 AM
I would like to believe it as well but honestly i dont see whats the screaming and going crazy all about? I mean for one thing i think Safina has won more titles and is still not a top 20 and she does seem to have game? I would tend to agree with Bandabou, whats Sharapova done other than climb up the rankings very quickly by making a bit of a splash at wimbledon, for one thing both Stevenson and Lucic made wimby semis and for what i care there not even considered true tennis players at least not in the pro circuit. No disrespect! Besides winnig a tier 3 title isnt the next unsolved math problem proposed by Neo- Hilberts. To me it seems she's just taking advantage of the fact that she has enough game to beat most of the players shes faced in tier 3's and 4's. Now i know she is still young, however, if she's so great why hasnt she won bigger titles shes yet to reach a quarterfinal at a slam? All the prodigies before Sharapova where making big splashes by their second year on tour, for one i really dont consider Sharapova a prodigy, she wanst even that unbeatable on the juniors, probably Stryckova and Michaela Krajicek have more game than her?

ys
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Dawn, honey,

ITF tennis database at itftennis.com is to your service.

From what I remember without consulting thre database, Steffi came back from injury/surgery only in February 98 in Germany ( Hannover?),
and her next tournament was in IW where she got reinjured playing Lindsay.
She lost to Serena only once, in IW finals in 1999.

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Yes, I'm sure baby. She is 1-1 against Steffi. How could you forget Serena's statement after the IW final against Graf that she was tired of losing to players she should beat.

MAURO
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Sabatini and Graf do it

bandabou
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I would like to believe it as well but honestly i dont see whats the screaming and going crazy all about? I mean for one thing i think Safina has won more titles and is still not a top 20 and she does seem to have game? I would tend to agree with Bandabou, whats Sharapova done other than climb up the rankings very quickly by making a bit of a splash at wimbledon, for one thing both Stevenson and Lucic made wimby semis and for what i care there not even considered true tennis players at least not in the pro circuit. No disrespect! Besides winnig a tier 3 title isnt the next unsolved math problem proposed by Neo- Hilberts. To me it seems she's just taking advantage of the fact that she has enough game to beat most of the players shes faced in tier 3's and 4's. Now i know she is still young, however, if she's so great why hasnt she won bigger titles shes yet to reach a quarterfinal at a slam? All the prodigies before Sharapova where making big splashes by their second year on tour, for one i really dont consider Sharapova a prodigy, she wanst even that unbeatable on the juniors, probably Stryckova and Michaela Krajicek have more game than her?

Exactly....hasnīt done anything REALLY big yet...nothing that special going on.

razzponic
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Monica of course...

MLF
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Jennifer Capriati made the top 10 for the first time at the age of 14.

ALPHA
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Anna Kournikova made the Top-10 first time in June 1998.

ĪCharlDaĪ
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I think her acheivements are impressive, and if she continues to work hard and ahs the desire to be the best, i think nothing is out of reach!