PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams playing Althea Gibson

alfajeffster
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:39 PM
I know its a silly thought, but they aren't that dissimilar, and since we're talking about a Seles movie, why not Venus playing the late, great Althea Gibson. Serena's more into acting, obviously, but Serena's a totally different body type than Althea, who was taller and long-limbed athlete. Hey- maybe after playing the part Venus could develop into a serve-and-volleyer par excellence!

akosijepoy
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:50 PM
that'll be cool

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:51 AM
If you were a sportsperson or any star of any profession, and if you're serious about breaking into movies, the last thing you'd want to do is play the same profession on screen as your real life.

Brian Stewart
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Venus would be an excellent choice for the role of Althea. She's only about 2 inches taller than Althea was, and with a similar build. They could just make all of the "players" about 2" taller. Sort of a reverse "Happy Days"(where they lowered the basketball rims, etc., to make everyone look taller). Venus could certainly mimic Althea on court very well, and could handle the dialogue. Certainly it would be more convincing than hiring someone who's a top notch actress, and having her try to fake the tennis.

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:31 AM
If you were a sportsperson or any star of any profession, and if you're serious about breaking into movies, the last thing you'd want to do is play the same profession on screen as your real life.

J-Lo sings and she played Selena and blew up. Exception to the rule.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:31 AM
J-Lo sings and she played Selena and blew up. Exception to the rule.
And then what happened now? Gigli? :tape:

Mind you, singers are, of course, big exceptions to the rule because there are musicals and singing/acting are seen as been a part of showbiz.

But what about Michael Jordan? I know it was just some cameo in a children's film or something but still...

If she was going to do something, she better start off with an obscure role rather than playing something that's her career. That's what I mean.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM
i say go with gabby union.

lets pic a pro actress please.