PDA

View Full Version : A question about how tournaments give wildcards.

Jakeev
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I did not realize that Marion Bartoli is ranked higher than all the three wild cards that are in the main draw of the Paris event.

Is this becoming a trend with tournament organizers? It happened last year with Anca Barna, there where all sorts of comments about the Australian Open and I guess Els Callens got passed up too for the upcoming event in Antwerp.

So why is the trend then lately? Why should have Bartoli had to qualify when she is ranked higher than Cohen-Aloro and Golovin?

I know that one reason could be that perhaps Marion was a late entry, but still she should have been given the wild card.

jimbo mack
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:05 PM
thats the beauty of wild cards for tournament directors

they can give them to whoever they want to!!!!!

Grachka
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Well I was shocked Els didn't get a wildcard, for Elke Clijsters to get one instead was a great injustice. She has one now anyway (sadly due to Flipkens withdrawing :sad: )

Jakeev
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:09 AM
But for some reason I always thought wildcards were often based on rank so I guess it's kind of surprising what I have been seeing.

Also, it's kind of ironic both Barna and Callens where passed up by Clijsters for widlcards.....

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:42 AM
But for some reason I always thought wildcards were often based on rank so I guess it's kind of surprising what I have been seeing.

Also, it's kind of ironic both Barna and Callens where passed up by Clijsters for widlcards.....

It's not BASED on rank ... but tournament directors are knowledgable tennis fans too. A lot of times, the highest ranking countrymen/women of a tournament that don't get into the main draw will be wildcarded in. The tourney directors know their shit.

But then you have a case like Elke Clijsters in Belgium. But that is also rooted in some sense ... business sense. :D Those in Antwerp figure that people will come to see the sister of Kim moreso than they would Els Callens.

OK-Tennis
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:45 AM
most French players are pretty patriotic, Marion in fact does not live in France,
and Stephanie has always been perceived as more talented than Razzano.