PDA

View Full Version : Kim, Jelena, Elena D. about Serena's return

vutt
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:17 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2132648

PARIS (AP) Kim Clijsters (http://www.foxsports.com/named/Search?categoryId=111556), herself shaking off an ankle injury, says Serena Williams (http://www.foxsports.com/named/Search?categoryId=111550) will have a tough time recovering from a knee operation that has sidelined the former world No.1.

"I feel it's a problem getting back into the rhythm after just a couple of days off. Just imagine being off for several months!" said Clijsters, current world No.2 and the top seed in Paris this week.

"You need your matches. The Williams (sisters) are human after all," Clijsters said Tuesday.

Serena Williams is not defending her title at this week's US$585,000 Gaz de France tournament and has not played since winning her sixth Grand Slam title at last year's Wimbledon.

Her left knee was operated Aug. 1. The 22-year-old is penciled in to play at the Qatar Doha Open in March.

Jelena Dokic (http://www.foxsports.com/named/Search?categoryId=111558), fourth seed in Paris, agreed that Williams faces a tough return.

"She's been out before and come back and even won Grand Slams," said Dokic. "But I think this time will be more difficult."

"She hasn't played for a long time and other players have found a lot of confidence," Dokic said. "This time it will be interesting to see. I think now Kim (Clijsters) and Justine (Henin-Hardenne) are playing as well as her."

Russia's Elena Dementieva (http://www.foxsports.com/named/Search?categoryId=111567), seeded second here, said tennis is better off with both Williams sisters playing at their peak.

"Most people miss them," said Dementieva. "With the Williams sisters there, tennis is more spectacular. We all enjoy watching them. No question. We hope they'll be back."

Clijsters agreed.

"For everyone it's just a thrill to have all the best players out there," she said. "And also for the crowd, all the people who've paid for their tickets, the tournament directors. They want to see as many great players as possible." "And everyone gets better, plays better, when that happens," she added.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:44 PM
It will be tough to get back. And if Serena is not fully committed she just won't get back to the top at all

jimbo mack
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
the longer serena leaves it, the tougher it will be

it hasnt exactly been plain sailing for venus. early round grandslam loss, then injured herself again in tokyo

i'm wondering now if we will ever see the sistas back at their best................

(i hope we will)

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:55 PM
the longer serena leaves it, the tougher it will be

it hasnt exactly been plain sailing for venus. early round grandslam loss, then injured herself again in tokyo

i'm wondering now if we will ever see the sistas back at their best................

(i hope we will)

MAybe we'll see them at their best again... but at the top I'm not so sure, 'cause they don't play enough tournaments.

Hagar
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:57 PM
It's really time that Serena comes back. Why does it take her so long?

Hulet
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM
"The Williams (sisters) are human after all"
Blasphemy, say it isn't so, Kim? :)
I actually agree with Jelena - it will more likely be a frustrating return for Serena (if she ever return, that is). I don't believe anything Elena says.

Fyndh0rnElf
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Blasphemy, say it isn't so, Kim? :)
I actually agree with Jelena - it will more likely be a frustrating return for Serena (if she ever return, that is). I don't believe anything Elena says.

I think the "We all enkoy watching them, no question" from Dementieva is kinda... :unsure: But she seems like a really good person so maybe that's really how she feels

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Nice comments from these players. I agree with them and it will be nice having all players in the game, healthy.

jimbo mack
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Nice comments from these players. I agree with them and it will be nice having all players in the game, healthy.

Welcome to the board :)

StarDuvallGrant
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the board :)

Thank you very much!
:wavey:

jenny161185
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:20 PM
does anyone know when Serena plans to return - I wonder how she'll cope???

Venus Forever
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:23 PM
What in the world is Dementieva smoking??? :eek:

This is the same girl who claims there bad for tennis and fix matches??

ys
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:39 PM
What in the world is Dementieva smoking??? :eek:

This is the same girl who claims there bad for tennis and fix matches??
She is just three years older and no longer a teenager. She has always been a nice girl.

CanadianBoy21
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I don't think anyone has to worry about them not dominating... It hasn't even occured to me that they might not... It may take few tournies to get back into swing, but there is no doubt that they have it.
After hitting trillions of balls during there life, half a year of tour won't hurt them too much. I didn't play for 3 months at all, and I got back and actually was hitting the same, lol :lol:. You cannot improve, but I doubt u can regress so much as Kim says. Maybe the other girls went up. but it really doesn't seem like it, except Justine.

Rub
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:56 AM
well...

tenn_ace
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:06 AM
well, let's see... every player (or almost every) has bad moments, has been caught saying something dumb... Serena, e.g., wanted to compete on the mens tour because she was bored on the womens. but remember, she was a teenager when she said that. should we hold her accountable for saying this for the rest of her life? :rolleyes:

Volcana
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:29 AM
I'm totally freakin'. Three years ago, I honestly believed that having both Willioams off the tour for six months would have been a dream come true for most of the tour. Well either they changed, or I was wrong. Hell, let's give the benefit of the doubt. My apologies to the tour for thinking of most of you as less magnanimous than you really are. I was dead wrong. Elena Dementieva, I especially apologize to you.

Doraemon
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:54 AM
You know what could give them more credit than beating a Williams?
The sisters are the players to beat for all the top players whether they admit it or not!
That's why they realized their abesnce does no good to the tour and of course them either!

volley1
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:40 AM
I hope Serena stays out long enough for a few american sponsorship dollars to dry up. You have power Serena, use to get back at all the tennis people who have been mean to you. She won't have this power for long, use it. :fiery: :wavey:

Diya
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Well the Williams sisters are NOT THAT MUCH of a threat these days so no wonder some of the players are starting to miss them when they aren't around ;)

skanky~skanketta
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:46 AM
good words from the girls.

i think that no matter how hard, serena's determination will pull her through. its her best characteristic.

i think the other girls are appreciating the sisters now because they raised the bar and now everyone wants to play power tennis. look at how everyone is working to get their serve to be more powerful. thank the sisters for that.

7~LV3
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Well, I think that Elena and Dokic are just two of some players who thinks that all Belgians finals is getting boring, but they just dont wanna say it, cuz maybe theyve matured and all...

Alan
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Well, I think that Elena and Dokic are just two of some players who thinks that all Belgians finals is getting boring, but they just dont wanna say it, cuz maybe theyve matured and all...

yeah including Kim herself! hahahah :lol: :lol:

Stefwhit
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM
It's not surprising to hear the other girls commenting on how it's over all better for "tennis" in general, to have both sisters healthy and back on tour. Sometimes you don't even realize the level of respect and appreciation you have for a player until they're gone. With Justine and Kim rising to the top it just makes things that much more interesting- with the return of Serena adding to the drama. Some of the people wanting them back may not even be fans, there are those who don't believe that they get back their winning forum...this kind of thinking just adds to the excitement. So now you have Serena and Venus fans waiting to show everyone what their girls can do, and you have Justine and Kim fans waiting for a chance to prove that it's a brand new era and things just aren't the same... women's tennis has been humdrum lately so the build up is nice and the returns are what's needed to get things back on track- no matter who ends up on top.

I'm personally under the opinion that it won't take nearly as long as some believe for Serena to get back on track. I can list my reasons why, but instead I'll let Serena show you what I already know....can't wait!!!! As for Venus she seems a bit more mentally fragile and with problem after problem it can't be good for her overall confidence. On top of that another difference is the other players reactions to them. I don't think anything has changed in regards to Serena, but I don't think the girls are as scared as Venus as they used to be. With that said I bet 99% of the girls would feel like a win over Venus would be one of the biggest wins in their careers- so that should tell u something...

Serendy Willick
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Its gonna be tough. Serena knows this and thats why she is getting prepared the right way. Serena Williams has some of the most amazing determination of any player that I have ever seen. She is willing to put in the work and time it takes for her to get back in form.

Serendy Willick
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM
It's really time that Serena comes back. Why does it take her so long?
Why do you care?

Stefwhit
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Its gonna be tough. Serena knows this and thats why she is getting prepared the right way. Serena Williams has some of the most amazing determination of any player that I have ever seen. She is willing to put in the work and time it takes for her to get back in form.
I HATE to admit it but her delay is adding to the drama and in a sick sort of way I'm loving it. Don't get me wrong cuz I'm absolutely hatin' it as well. My level of interest is at an all time low and with each delay it gets harder and harder, although the by-product of all that, is this increased anticipation I'm experiencing- which feels like XMas coming soon.

Light a candle my fellow Serena fans and keep it burning as we count down the arrival of Serena 'Jaggunernaut' Williams.... lookin' toward the day we all can yell, "BRING IT ON" to all the other ladies on tour. (I'll lay off the herb, now...)

7~LV3
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:23 PM
yeah including Kim herself! hahahah :lol: :lol:

duh.. shes like saying...
come back serena and ms Venus, cuz i cant beat Justine, pls do come and help me beat her in big matches. I dont think that she likes losing to that same player in almost every tourny that she should have beaten.

Stefwhit
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:44 PM
....I dont think that she likes losing to that same player in almost every tourny that she should have beaten.
To be fair, what player would like losing to the same player time and time again?? She actually has a better record against Justine than she does against Serena or Venus....I still think she feels her chances are better with Justine on the other side than either sister, especially Serena....

If you're a betting the odds, before it's said and done Kim will leave the game having had the chance to hold "the" trophy up over her head- whether it's the French, US, Wimby, or Oz I don't know, but she'll get hers...

SerialKiller#69
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:55 PM
I don't like how Jelena Dokic sounds when she separates herself from Kim and Justine as top players. She's talking like a retired player commentarist.

Havok
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:02 PM
lol, don't worry, when Jelena gets her game back, she'll be battling it out with the Belgians;)