PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Plans To Televise 34 Hours Of Live Indian Wells Coverage

tennisIlove09
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
ESPN Plans To Televise 34 Hours Of Live Indian Wells Coverage
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/HewittAusOpenSIGGI.jpg
Photo By Siggi Bucher By Tennis Week
02/10/2004

If you can't take the trip to Indian Wells, you can still follow the Pacific Life Open action closely — courtesy of ESPN's tennis coverage. ESPN and ESPN2 will televise an unprecedented 35.5 hours of coverage, including 34 hours broadcast live, from the Pacific Life Open scheduled for March 8th-21st at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
Cliff Drysdale will provide play-by-play with Patrick McEnroe and Pam Shriver serving as analysts for the network's telecasts, which includes a variety of daytime and prime time coverage over eight days of play. ESPN2 will provide live coverage of the men's and women's finals, back-to-back beginning at noon Pacific time (3 p.m. Eastern) on Sunday, March 21st.

Viewers will see matches daily beginning with the early rounds on Sunday, March 14th, through the finals.

"We are very pleased to expand our coverage of the Pacific Life Open as part of our on-going commitment to enhance ESPN's tennis lineup, highlighted by extensive coverage of three Grand Slams," said Mike Ryan, ESPN director, programming and acquisitions.

Daily live afternoon coverage begins on Sunday, March 14th, and continues in two- and four -hour blocks throughout the week. Prime-time action can also be seen nightly from Monday, March 15th-Thursday, March 18th. Live final weekend coverage includes both men's semifinals on Saturday, March 20th (ESPN, 3-7 p.m. Eastern/noon-4 p.m. Pacific), and the men's and women's finals on Sunday, March 21st (ESPN2, 3-7 p.m. Eastern/noon-4 p.m. Pacific).

A year ago, Lleyton Hewitt crushed Gustavo Kuerten, 6-1, 6-1, to become the first man since Michael Chang in 1996 and 1997 to successfully defend his Indian Wells title. Hewitt's fiancee, Kim Clijsters, defeated Lindsay Davenport, 6-4, 7-5, to capture her first career Tier I title in the 2003 women's final.

For Pacific Life Open ticket information, please call the tournament box office at (800) 999-1585 or visit the Pacific Life Open (http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/) web site. Discounts for Coachella Valley residents, senior citizens, students, USTA members, Champions volunteers and the military are offered in person at the box office. Group and tennis club packages and discounts are also available. To play a part as a Champions volunteer please call (760) 200-8400.

Tratree
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I'm happy for all of you guys who will see it on TV, but why is there always great TV coverage of the tournaments that I ATTEND and the rest of the year I get nada. :retard:

Ballbuster
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Hated It!

Rtael
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:43 PM
We'll never see the women anyway. :wavey:

Mase
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Not shabby on the coverage dept ;) Now if it were all WOMEN, I wonder how much coverage we could have gotten from ESPNMen, hahahahaha. Still, it doesnt sound bad at all ;)

Warrior
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I bet they'll only show Americans.

Mrs. Peel
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:59 PM
We all know what live coverage means by ESPN's standards :smash:

faboozadoo15
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:18 PM
well if it wans't for them, i don't know what i would get... so im happy to have a lot of tennis on tv no matter what channel it's on.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:20 PM
TSN will probably only show half of the coverage :p

Knizzle
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Hopefully the Miami coverage is like that also.

LeonHart
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:01 PM
70% at least will probably be mens coverage. So i wouldn't get so excited.

kerbear
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:24 PM
they're adding more coverage cuz Jen's coming back, not that I'm mad cuz I like her but that's a major reason

LindsayRocks89
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:28 PM
i think its great cause the coverage last year was great

CanadianBoy21
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:31 PM
no Williams sisters?
Most likely not
:sad:
Jen doesn't like playing this tourny as well, right, she skipped one for no apparant reason, but I'm not sure, so someone correct me.

*JR*
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:09 AM
They can Bring Back Rush Limbaugh to do, er "color commentary" :o about how tennis wants black players to succeed, then say the W/S are ovarated, etc. :lol:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:17 AM
?/34 hours will be NON-AMERICANS?? my guess is 2.. :(

kerbear
Feb 11th, 2004, 01:44 AM
no Williams sisters?
Most likely not
:sad:
Jen doesn't like playing this tourny as well, right, she skipped one for no apparant reason, but I'm not sure, so someone correct me.

She did. She has a record of doing badly here. Mainly because she seems to end up playing Lindsay here and its Lindsay's hometown, giving Davenport the advantage. But Jenn has indicated that she will play here and begin her season here especially with committing just recently. I think it's her warmup for Miami, where she did really well last year.

So yes to answer everyone else. We'll see a lot of Americans. Jenn and Lindsay. (no Williams)

arcus
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:28 AM
O! Lawd
30+ hours of coverage of Roddicks new haircut and endless commentary on how much it turns patrick mcenroe on.........
While the rest of tennis goes unnoticed, like at the aus open....... ;-)
God forbid they'd have to show ferrero, clijsters, Federer or any of those other "aliens"........yawn......

JLDementieva
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Oh so that means like 30 hours of American Men!!! Unless they lose early!

gourownway
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Jen made it to the semi's last year. I would call that a bad showing at a tournament.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:58 PM
34 sounds alot but it not much

UK Sky Sports will show the ATP Masters for 6 hours a day LIVE until SF., with choice of courts then taped 2 hours next day before live action starts
also Eurosport shows WTA Indian Wells :) :yeah:

miranda_lou
Feb 11th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I'm hoping ESPN learned a lesson with all the negative mail they received, along with the bad press, about their Aussie Open coverage and they will at least show some non-Americans.:rolleyes: Even if it's only the top players like Federer, Ferrero, etc. Surely, they don't want a repeat of the awful things said about them during the AO.:eek: I will gladly give them props if they just TRIED to be more open to other players. I love Agassi, Ginepre, Roddick, et al. and would gladly watch them play over and over but not when they're beating up on some poor smuck and we have to watch while there's a great match going on a few feet away.:mad:

Martian KC
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:07 PM
We all know what live coverage means by ESPN's standards :smash:

So true. You know ESPN's standards. American men first, any man, American women, and the rest. ;)

starr
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I'm happy for all of you guys who will see it on TV, but why is there always great TV coverage of the tournaments that I ATTEND and the rest of the year I get nada. :retard:

Ditto!!!

It's totally maddening.

But I have the satisfaction of knowing that I'll get to see a lot of great matches that they never show on TV. AND I'll get to see some of my favorites rather than just the Americans and whoever happens to be playing them.

OK-Tennis
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:37 PM
ESPN=TSN is showing it?:D

mimbari24
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Are the Williams' skipping it again?