PDA

View Full Version : Players cry after the match...

novotnaquinton
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:18 AM
I wanna do some records on this topic and here is what I can remember:
93 Wimbledon --Novotna cried after she lost to Graf (classic!!!!)
95 Canadian Open--Seles made her comeback and won the title over Amanda Coetzer
98 Wimbledon--Novotna finally won the Wimbledon (can that call a "cry"?)
99 French Open--Hingis cried in the prize ceremony
03 Zurich--Dokic cried in the final because she has been in a slump for a long time

Any other crying moments?????
:confused:
thanks in advance:D

azza
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Daniella Hatuchova.. :o Peter Sampras,Roger Federer

Knizzle
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Do you mean ON the court??

novotnaquinton
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Both on the court or off the court is ok

ya..you remind me of S.Williams crying during the interview in the French Open

Knizzle
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Both on the court or off the court is ok

ya..you remind me of S.Williams crying during the interview in the French Open

:devil:

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Vera Zvonareva :rolleyes:

novotnaquinton
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Vera Zvonareva :rolleyes:
When?? Can you provide me with more sources? like which match and against who

Preemie Cadet
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM
'81 US Open final, when Nav blew a big lead against Tracy Austin. The crowd gave Nav an ovation at the end and she started bawling, because she'd only ever been maligned as a brusque, mannish, commie lezbo and desperately craved the approbation of Americans.

Epigone
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Vera Zvonareva in her 4th round match against Lindsay Davenport at the AO in 2004 :sad:

irma
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Steffi often when she lost. well at least till the middle nineties. she didn't cry anymore at the end of her career, at least she didn't break down anymore like she did in aussie open 91 by example ( I am talking about when she lost, not because of other reasons)
after wins: wim 89, us 89,fren 95,us 95 ( after the semi and after the final), leipzig 90, french 96,french 99, wim 93 (well she started to cry because novotna started to cry)

and despite all steffi's tears. people only judge her for the one moment that she couldn't out any feeling, because she was just damned tired and empty inside.
It's kind of sad that people are so single minded, but that's life :o

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
And against Kim Clijsters at the US Open two years ago :tape:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:16 AM
vera cries at EVERY match she loses.

agassi.

tennisIlove09
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:18 AM
I can think of 3:

Davenport after the 98 US Open victory
Davenport after the 99 Wimbledon victory

Venus after the 02 LA semi retirement to Clijsters :sad: :sad: :sad:

tennisIlove09
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Oh, another:

Graf def. Hingis 4-6 7-5 6-2; Hingis came back on the court in tears

broncosven
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Jenn Cap in Oz open

esquímaux
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Sanchez-Vicario was bawling during the Fed Cup final (which she lost to Janette Husarova 6-0 6-2) Nov 2, 2002. I was pissed because some Spainish heckler was shouting stuff at Arantxa in the match (something about she was not worthy to represent the Spanish) and Arantxa finally broke down. I had a pic of it, but deleted it in frustration :(

Knizzle
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Ashley Harkleroad at the French Open 2003 2nd rd.

Calaer
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM
When?? Can you provide me with more sources? like which match and against who

she was a nut in new haven vs pistolesi, at one point she even thrwe her raqcuet wehn she was leading she was nuts, screamign at dfans, breakign ehr raqcuets, screaming at ballboys, the crowd was all over her adn rightfully so she was psycho and of course, she cried!!!!thatd be probably the wrost vera meltdwon ever id say! too bad only like 900 people saw it bc everyone left bc they thougth ti waas a blow out!

But I hear she may be improving her attitude

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Harkelroad def Bartoli in Auckland SF 2004, Bartoli cried
Clijsters def Dokic 6-4, 4-4 ret SF Hamburg 2002, Dokic cried
Novotna def Kournikva, r3 Roland Garros 1998, Kournikova cried after being refused a dunny stop

-Capriati cried zillions times in press conferences in 1998-2001...

gmak
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:28 AM
arantxa after losing that marathon Wimbledon final to steffi in 1995

martina after beating monica in the 2000 Chase final

Mariangelina
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Amélie cried when she won the Open Gaz de France in 2001, when she came back from her knee injury a year ago and beat Sugiyama, when France won the Fed Cup :hearts: (I think Mary Pierce was too) and when she had to withdraw from the Oz quarters injured :sad: :sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2:

Jana Novotna cried all over everyone when she choked away Wimbledon 93, and I think she cried when she won too. :) Lindsay cried when she won her first slam. :bounce:

ATP, but of course Roger cried when he won Wimbledon, and that really endeared him to me. Less endearing was Hingis at RG 1999.

I'm sure I've missed a few, but that's all I can think of at the moment. :)

paul_masterton
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Natalia papdopolou broke down in tears and was inconsoloble fo rabout an hour after losing a 3 hour match to Carly Homewood 76 46 64 in edinburgh last year. match finished at 9pm :eek: in teh dark when it was raining and very windy.

the other swedes trid to comfort her and she practically beat them off!

tons of players cry, especially at lower levels where some girls are very young.

rightous
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Domi and Lindsay in the FO Open 99 I think, Domi's mother just die and Lindsay was still reovering from injury

SJW
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Serena after the Serena slam :hearts:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Kim cried in the lockeroom after the French Open final against Jennifer

Wimanna
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Dominique at the Australian Open 1997, quarterfinals, retired against MJ Fernandez :sad:
and like rightous said, after French Open R1 defeating Lindsay.
Dominique and Sabine both cried after their last official matches...

Sonf@
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Angeles Montolio was the queen on that ;)

In her match against Schiavone (which she lost 6-4 6-1) she started to cry when she was 4-5 down or so :s

Also against Tauziat at Leipzig (a match she lost 6-7 6-3 6-4)
Against Seles 6-7 6-3 6-0 too.
And many more... :p

anabel
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Conchita cried in her match against Majoli @ Chase Championships'96 :sad:

pan
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
MICHAEL STICH after losing final match in davis cup's semifinal against russia (in 97???). CHESNOKOV saved 9 matchpoints and russia got the finals.

Fantastic
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Fang Li cried after losing her second round match to Arantxa Sanchez Vicario at the 1995 Australian Open on centre court. It was a huge moment for Fang Li and after losing 6-0 6-2, she was understanbly a little despondant. When told of this news, Arantxa simply replied: "I don't know what my opponent do. I just play my game and do my best, point by point, match by match." She was booed at her press conference. Okay, maybe not, but a few journalists wagged their fingers in disgust at her lack of sympathy for Fang Li. True story. Arantxa was trashed in the newspapers the next day for that.

Gandalf
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Wasn't Fang Li double-bagelled by Pierce at the Australian Open one year (I think in '98)?

Declan
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Zina Garrison cried on court during her Centre Court loss to a way-over-the-hill Virginia Wade at Wimbledon in 1984; she said for years afterwards people pointed out to her that they remembered this!

Lapin
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/p7ecac9072de97cd2a3fb22e9f8bd9e93/f9a89ecd.jpg
Yes, Amélie cried when she won the Open Gaz de France in 2001

http://www.fft.fr/evenements2003/FedCup-russie/album23-2/images/06.jpg
and also, after France won the Fed Cup last year.

Wimanna
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Flipkens, after the match against Shaughnessy in Moscow :hug:

jimbo mack
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:15 PM
stevenson cried in the quarter-finals of birmingham 1999

she was losing 6/2 to magui serna then had to pull out with an injury

she cried cuz she was worried that the injury would prevent her from playing wimbledon :sad:

she went onto reach the wimbledon semi-finals :eek:

naoko sawamatsu cried in her last ever match against monica seles in the tokyo nicherei 1998 :sad:

novotnaquinton
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks!! I don't even suppose there are such a great amount of "crying moment"!

novotnaquinton
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Kim cried in the lockeroom after the French Open final against Jennifer
Really??? I haven't heard of that.....

morbidangle
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Wasn't Fang Li double-bagelled by Pierce at the Australian Open one year (I think in '98)?
Yes and she cried during that match too.. Mary was asked afterwards and she said something like she was sorry for the double bagel, and that Li will have many more chances.. Maybe she learnt from the Arantxa incident..

novotnaquinton
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Have Mary Pierce cried after her victory in French Open in 2000?

E. Blackadder
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Arantxa when she played her last match in fed cup

Crazy_Fool
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM
I cannot imagine what Mauresmo would do if she won a slam. But i would like to find out...

Lapin
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I cannot imagine what Mauresmo would do if she won a slam. But i would like to find out...
So would I! :D

beauty_is_pink
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:42 PM
is there something wrong with crying on court?
i seriously realli dont see a problem at all, unless it's childish. but crying on court can be a relief for players, they're emotional in the match and need some way to get the emtions out. some is crying. for example (and i realli do hate using this as an example :o ) Ashley Harkleroad vs. Daniela Hantuchova at RG2003. both players cried on court. but Ashley had the better advantage, after loosing a cruical game she went back to her chair... cried in her towel... came back and won the next few games... and the match.

stephanwiberg
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Dont know the exact years, but was at beginning of both careers
Venus cried at Wimbledon when she lost against jana Novotna, after a call was made in favor of Jana

Serena at french Open against Testud, i guess it was 8-6 rd set

They both were such bad losers early one in their careers

PointBlank
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Alex Stevenson is a water fall along with Vera Zvonareva

bandabou
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Venus cried at Wimbledon when she lost against jana Novotna, after a call was made in favor of Jana

Serena at french Open against Testud, i guess it was 8-6 rd set

They both were such bad losers early one in their careers

The Serena part wasn´t at the French, it was at the Oz....and it followed after Serena lost matchpoint when the Umpire overruled on the FAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR-side of her....then she threw her racket after she lost....kinda understandable. Only Kim wouldn´t react like that.

The same with Venus...the ball was IN, but the umpire found it correct to call it out or something.

yukon145
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Jenn cried after the 2003 US Open Semi final against Justine :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I just wanted to go to New York and tell Jenn it was gonna be ok.

for-sure
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Serena cried after her loss to Jenn at Wimbledon.
Chanda cried after almost beating Venus and the USopen.

jimbo mack
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:08 PM
the leipzig final 2000

elena likhovtseva cried after losing a marathon final to kim clijsters 7/6 4/6 6/4

it was a very emotional match, and the players had to fight through mental and physical fatigue to play good tennis

Pamela Shriver
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I cried after every loss. <so after EVERY match>

alfajeffster
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:24 PM
"I saw it out. She [Novotna] saw it out. Why can't you see it out?!?"- Venus Williams

Knizzle
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Serena cried after her loss to Jenn at Wimbledon.
Chanda cried after almost beating Venus and the USopen.

Chanda cried??

Libertango
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Chanda cried??
Yes...and so did I :sad:

Both Martina and Monica cried after the Chase final in 2000. Martina cried becuase of relief and happiness, Monica out of disappointment, but also pride (I think... :p )

bandabou
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:56 AM
First of all if you are a venus/serena fan then you are obviously not objective.
They both cried becuase for them it was not understandable that another human being could not possibly be better then them. That attitude was just annoying and it was not at the Aussie but it was at the french, so next time if you wanna correct me, do it good! ,

And then you´re a hater then I guess?! Some reactions are understandable. If you wanna knock the sisters´s attitudes because they questioned line-calls, then....I guess you won´t be matching much tennis, cause EVERYBODY has complained against calls.

You´re still mistaken btw...Serena´s only losses at the French were to: ASV in ´98, MJF in ´99, Jen in ´01 and Justine in ´03.....so go look up your own stats first. Her only two losses to sandrine testud were at the ´99 Oz open and ´99 Filderstadt...

stephanwiberg
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM
The Serena part wasn´t at the French, it was at the Oz....and it followed after Serena lost matchpoint when the Umpire overruled on the FAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR-side of her....then she threw her racket after she lost....kinda understandable. Only Kim wouldn´t react like that.

The same with Venus...the ball was IN, but the umpire found it correct to call it out or something.

Sorry about the oz/french mistake but both sister were/are just big cry-babies. And you were right about Kim, she would never cry like that, neither would 80% of the 100 best players(or more). Its not only the crying, it was their disbelieve that some other woman had the nerve to beat the diva-goddesses. Well Venus had at the time eyebrows like Bert from Sesame street(probably they were so long that they were irritating her eyes and that was the reason of the sobbing, Probably you like that fairytale better as a williams-fan?

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Sorry about the oz/french mistake but both sister were/are just big cry-babies. And you were right about Kim, she would never cry like that, neither would 80% of the 100 best players(or more). Its not only the crying, it was their disbelieve that some other woman had the nerve to beat the diva-goddesses. Well Venus had at the time eyebrows like Bert from Sesame street(probably they were so long that they were irritating her eyes and that was the reason of the sobbing, Probably you like that fairytale better as a williams-fan?

Damn, let the hatred go.

stephanwiberg
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:04 AM
"I saw it out. She [Novotna] saw it out. Why can't you see it out?!?"- Venus Williams

Who cares if the umpire the queen of England or God saw it out
The big question here is: Did Pam Shriver saw it out :worship: :worship: :worship:

bandabou
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:06 AM

:lol: :haha:......but then again, even back then....how many people could beat them?! Safe for MJF and Sandrine, almost all the players who beat Serena at a slam, went on to win the title....same for Venus....it ain´t like they were losing to nobodies then.

In the end, it don´t matter. They may have cried back then, but they have smiled a LOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT since then too, don´t you think?!

bandabou
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:07 AM
And don´t even come up with Kim......that is EXACTLY the reason she can´t win when it matters...lack of fire.

Jericho
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:19 AM
thats so :lol: that im :o for you
my fave part was the diva-goddesses, thanks for the laugh and reminding me of the kind of fools that exist :tape:

stephanwiberg
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:39 AM
thats so :lol: that im :o for you
my fave part was the diva-goddesses, thanks for the laugh and reminding me of the kind of fools that exist :tape:

i might be a fool, but you are too if you think she can become a great actress
With those shoulders she cant portray a normal women, maybe they could make Priscilla queen of the desert into Serena queen of the desert. She would be a great drag-queen

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:42 AM
With those shoulders she cant portray a normal women, maybe they could make Priscilla queen of the desert into Serena queen of the desert. She would be a great drag-queen

Admins??

stephanwiberg
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:47 AM
And don´t even come up with Kim......that is EXACTLY the reason she can´t win when it matters...lack of fire.

The fact that she is happy and normal is lack of fire?.

Forgot she was number one in the world and won the masters twice in a row?
I think she rather not win a slam and be who she is
Then be a religious freak, live in a ghetto or have drug-related tragedies

Jericho
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:49 AM
At least you admit you are a fool, thats the first step...;)
BTW, when was sports illustrated a showcase for drag-queens :confused:

Jericho
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:50 AM
ok, now that was going too far

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Admins??

stephanwiberg
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:58 AM
why is that too far, being a drag queen is just fine, im one myself!
And im a guy!!!, then didn't Richard always say his daughters would not get nervous because they were raised in a ghetto, and did Jencap not have drug-related problems.
Nothing i said is a lie or made up, but facts

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:00 AM
why is that too far, being a drag queen is just fine, im one myself!
And im a guy!!!, then didn't Richard always say his daughters would not get nervous because they were raised in a ghetto, and did Jencap not have drug-related problems.
Nothing i said is a lie or made up, but facts

I know you're not supposed to laugh at retarded people, but............

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stephanwiberg
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:01 AM
And please dont act like im a racist or anything cause that has got nothing to do with this. I dont care what race, sexuality or anyhting someone is. Just not a big fan of Williamses attitudes. No more no less, and if you cant take the Serena queen of the desert thing as a funny joke you sont have a sense of humour. Even serena could laugh about it i think

bandabou
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Man, you´re pathetic! You think winning two masters are is good as winning 6 slams, 1 masters,etc....or winning 4 slams and numerous other titles?!

daniela86
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Jelena Dokic cried in open gaz de france in 2002 during her SF match against Monica Seles!

gmak
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:31 PM
well i think serena had every right to feel so bad after losing to sandrine in Melbourne because the ball was ON THE LINE on MP and still the umpire ( ceccarelli the italian ) overruled .... serena refused to give her hand to the umpire and even sandrine said that she understood serena's frustration and would have been furious too!

i'm not a fan of serena but i really felt sorry for her on that day!

*JR*
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Myskina cried for I hear like 15 minutes (talking on a cell phone) after Sarah Taylor beat her in Key Biscayne last year.

GoDominique
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Admins??
Posting "Admins??" won't help, use report function instead. :)

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Posting "Admins??" won't help, use report function instead. :)

It's disabled. :)