PDA

View Full Version : Was Carling Basset-seguso THE greatest FEMALE tennis canadian of all time ??

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Also..if someone has some RECENT pics of her from last years Slams she played i would be soo gratefull! :hearts: :kiss: She played senior doubles now that she is 36 and eligible :)

Preemie Cadet
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Neither were terribly notable, but I'd say Helen Kelesi was the more significant Canuck. It's so sad about her multiple brain tumors -- does anyone know if she's retarded now?
Why has Canada yet to break through with a wunderkind?

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Neither were terribly notable, but I'd say Helen Kelesi was the more significant Canuck. It's so sad about her multiple brain tumors -- does anyone know if she's retarded now?
Why has Canada yet to break through with a wunderkind?
Where did u hear this about Helen ? :sad:

Couver
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I think their was a documentary on TSN a little while ago. Maybe last year or the year before. When that aired she was ok, talking and acting fine. I think the tumors just took a lot of time away from her. I'm not sure they caused any brain damage.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:29 AM
I think their was a documentary on TSN a little while ago. Maybe last year or the year before. When that aired she was ok, talking and acting fine. I think the tumors just took a lot of time away from her. I'm not sure they caused any brain damage. Well thats a good thing..i think she had to stop playing at age 28 >??

Preemie Cadet
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Yeah, her tumors (benign) were several years ago. I knew she survived, but wondered if she had turned into a "gwetsky".

Fantastic
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Was Helen ever a Top 10 player like Carling was? Who won more tournaments?

Fantastic
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
One thing they have in common was that both their careers were ended by illnesses.

Bероника
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I remember Helen Kelesi.Such a funny player to watch!!! I didn't know about her health problems though.Poor girl!!!I hope she's doing fine nowadays.

Rollo
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Go to trhe Blast From the past Forum-we have threads on Carling there-maybe Helen too.

http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

BTW-unless you count Mary Pierce as a Canadian Bassett is far and away the all-time Candian #1. She was in the top 10 and made the semis at the US Open-neither of which Helen was able to do.

Rollo
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:50 PM
There is a Helen thread as well. I bumped it up. Enjoy:)