PDA

View Full Version : Question: Players with no clothing sponsor

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:08 PM
If a player has no clothing sponsor (ie. NIKE) are they allowed to wear clothes with sporting logos (ie. NIKE) or do they have to wear clothes with no logo? And does this apply to shoes too??

And, did anyone see the Haas match at Aus Open when he was forced to change his shirt or cap because of something to do with the logo? Do you know what that was about?

AND, (last question) why did Justine wear a US Open cap during the USOpen and not a le Coq Sportif cap?

Thank you :)

essielewis
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:59 PM
A player can wear any clothes he/she wants to wear at a tournament. In fact, Kafelnakov has never had a paying clothing sponsor but he almost always wears Nike. Nike has never paid him a penny, as far as I know.;)

On the other hand, Pete Sampras was dumped by Nike this year but Pete still wore Nike at the Aussie Open and the Davis Cup. However he covered the Nike swoosh with a small American flag. I don't know if he has a new sponsor yet.

I don't know anything about what happen with Haas.:confused:

Re: Justine . . . maybe she needed a hat because of the sun and she didn't have a hat from her sponsor. A lot of players wear the U.S. Open hat if they don't have one of their own.:p

disposablehero
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Players without clothing sponsors are required to go nude.

Mazza
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Kim Parted company with Nike, but like Sampras, she still wears nike Clothes.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Actually, for quite awhile, addidas used to supply shoes and clothing for those players in the top 50 or 100, without clothing contracts! I have no idea if that is still the case.

auntie janie
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:17 PM
ROFL @ disposable!! That one caught me off guard! :D :D :D

essielewis
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Actually, for quite awhile, addidas used to supply shoes and clothing for those players in the top 50 or 100, without clothing contracts! I have no idea if that is still the case.

That makes sense. Adidas gets free advertisement and the players get free clothes.

I think if an unknown player gets to the semis or finals of a big tournament then some clothing sponsors will give that player a little money and free clothes to wear in the semis and/or finals. The paid sponsorship rarely goes any further than than unless that player starts winning a lot.

But mostly, clothing people try to spot good players when they are very young. Reebok got Andy Roddick when he was 12 years old and I think they got Venus when she was about that age. Rumor has it that Nike has signed a 13 year old boy and paid him a lot of money. They're hoping that pays off better than their contract with Alex Stevenson.:sad:

Dado
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Justine needs a sponsor. I think she is wearing the same clothes since I know her.
That's a little bit shit.

I think Jeff Tarango hasn't any sponsor, so he's wearing just white clothes.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Only a few players actually have sponsorship if you take into account that over 4000 players try and play on the WTA/ITF events each year.

Ones that don't have to buy their own clothes.

Actually Pete at AUS didnt wear Nike, he had his own label with the US flag.

Yevgeny does have a contract with Nike now, but he didn;t bother with one for a while.

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:12 PM
thank you everybody (hi TBE :) )

Did anyone know what happened with the Haas incident? I was only half watching, half doing my homework :)

Dado
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:15 PM
I just know that Tommy wants many money for a new contract last year. Nike don't make a new and what's now, I really don't know.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Tommy Haas' logo on his cap was a little too big

you can only have certain sized logos/advertising on your clothes.

how they found out without getting a ruler is beyond me......i can just see it at change of ends, the referee coming out with his ruler

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:19 PM
how do they get there?!?! That's amazing :) I could barely see it.

Is that so one sports brand doesn't have an advantage over another cos viewers can see it more easily??

You see?! You DO know everything ... :p

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Not really :p ...... I have everything in the Official Sanex WTA Rule Book for players/coaches ;)

I'm sure ATP has similar guidelines.

veryborednow
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:26 PM
so you have a book with the exact measurements in??

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jas
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:26 PM
TBE does know everything...;) Just about everything that is... :)

Giuliano
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Hey I know that too lol. The logos must mesure less than 13cm² (In France at least)

essielewis
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:27 AM
I think Jeff Tarango hasn't any sponsor, so he's wearing just white clothes

What SANE clothing maker would want Tarango to wear their clothes? The man is nuts and a LOSER.:mad:

Actually Pete at AUS didnt wear Nike, he had his own label with the US flag.

I don't think that's true. I believe Pete was wearing his usual Nike brand clothes (baggy shorts, baggy shirt). He said that he found a "nice lady" who sewed the flags on all of his clothes. Why would he have to find someone to sew flags on if he wasn't wearing the Nike swoosh?:confused: And I think the lady he found was in Australia because when he left for Australia he was still negotiating with Nike, hoping for a contract renewal. Apparently negotiations broke off at some point during the exhibition warm up before the AO began. :sad:

destructo_girl
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:53 AM
LOL @ disposable! :D :D

destructo_girl
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:58 AM
I thought the problem with Haas was that there were too many logos (two). And they had to draw over it to cover it up or something.

Oh well, musta been mistaken.

go hingis
Feb 18th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Not 100% sure, but I think Tommy had one two many logos, and that's why they coloured one out with a black marker.

daNieLa iS cUtE
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:03 AM
The Tommy Haas incident was IMO very inconsistent, because there were alot of players wearing the same cap, but only forwards, therefore umpires couldn't be bothered. Oh, and that Jorge Diaz is a real prick!

According to the commentators, the logo was the problem, not sure if it was one too many or size(in a previous post) but I'm inclined to believe the commentators that only one logo is allowed on a cap. Sounds really silly though, but heck, what do I know?

Also, some players whose clothe company don't supply them with shoes get their own I believe. Anyone knows if players have multiple sponsors? JC Ferrero wears Tacchini clothes but Nike shoes: are the shoes sponsored or bought?

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:36 AM
"JC Ferrero wears Tacchini clothes but Nike shoes"
For some reason I thought he was actually wearing their shoes for a bit :confused: Perhaps I'm wrong on that. I can check on it.

If thats the case, perhaps he had Hingis issues with the shoes ;) and decided to go back to his good old Nike's.

Nike used to be his clothing sponser, so tahts entirely possible.