PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Janković interview

Joana
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Here is the interview Jelena Jaković gave to a Serbian magazine. I tried to translate some parts of it:

- Australian Open 2004

To be honest, I expected more after the win against Dementieva. I could have reached the semis, just like Dokić did at Wimbledon in 2000. But I underestimated Craybas in the 2R. I wasn't concentrated, made many errors, my serve was off. She took her chances and won. But life goes on, I should focus on upcoming tournaments and not look back.

- The match against Dementieva

That was a huge experience for me. I wasn't afraid, not at all. I walked ou there and thought: "I'm winning today, no matter what." I believed in myself right from the start. I gave her no chances. I know I'm good and I hope I'll get the chance to be somedaz where Dementieva is now."

-Fans in Australia

I already now a lot of people there. I have great support in Australia, many Serbian people live there, only the problem is they are too loud sometimes. The match againts Craybas was played on a smaller court, and the atmosphere was like at a soccer match. Everybody was shouting and yelling. The umpire tried to calm them down, but it didn't work. Perhaps that made me lose concentration more.

-Coming to Bolletieri's camp

I came there when I was 12. I was alone for months. My mother would come for a month, but then she would have to leave. It was very difficult. I didn't speak English, only French. Fortunately, I made friends with a girl from Colombia who knew English and French, so she would translate everything. I went through a lot at that time, I learned many valuable lessons. Now it's different, as my family lives in Florida.

-Goals in 2004

My first goal is to reach top 50, and by the end of the season top 20. I have high hopes for 2005. I don't have many points to defend in the first half of this season. I just have to be consistent. I don't have much experience, I only started playing big tournaments. Of course, I hope I will stay injury-free.

-Grand Slams

My biggest chance after AO is at the US Open. I love playing on hardcourts, because I practise the most on that surface. Roland Garros is different, not because I don't like it, it's just that I rarely practise on clay, and it's very different to hardcourts. I don't move well on clay. I have to work on it. I don't think I have much chance at Wimbledon, I never practise on grass.

-Fed cup

If Jelena Dokić plays, we have great chance to go to the World Group. If she plays, I will certainly play too. If not, I don't think I'll play, beacuse we would have almost no chance to make it. There are many tournaments in the spring, so I need to have as much rest as possible, Fed cup wouldn't fit in my plans.

-Olympics

I am almost certain I will play there. I would really love to. It's not like other tournaments, I want to give my best there.

-Monica Seles

I know her very well, we always talk in Serbian, she gives me useful advice and I learn a lot from her. She's a legend and a great person. I hope she will be my mentor some day, when she retires. Her personality really suites me, and I know her, while I've never met, for example, Steffi Graf.

-Jelena Dokić

I have no contact with her, I don't know her well. She is always quiet and reserved and doesn't talk much to anyone. I always say hello to her, but that's it.

I hope my English was good enough for you to understand everything. Go Jelena! :D

jimbo mack
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM
she seems ambitious! which is good. great attitude jankovic!! :yeah:

vutt
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:09 PM
wow top 20 - thats bold...
Good luck!

I hope we will see Jelena/Jelena FedCup team!

AUSBOY
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks for this. I was at the Craybas match. Jelena's serve turned to jelly. She was serving less than 100km/h and they were landing halfway up the net in the latter stages of the final set. Craybas wasnt serving much better, Jelena should have won this match but she let the nerves get to her mentally.

*JR*
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Good luck, JJ. (But not tommorrow vs. Dinara)! ;)

Joana
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:02 AM
She is becoming well known here. The only thing is that some stupid journalists put words in her mouth. For example, the headline of this interview is "I want to be #1", and Jelena didn't mention it. The same was after she reached the QF of Stanford 2 years ago, the headline was "I will win US Open this year" and she only said she'd play the qualies. :rolleyes:

Bероника
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks for posting & translating Joana!!!

I like Jelena more and more.

Diya
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:55 AM
I hope my English was good enough for you to understand everything. Go Jelena! :D

Your English is GREAT ! Thanks so much for all that work ! :worship:

rada
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:28 AM
jelena jankovic is going to be a good player and seems really nice;) good luck to her and i hope she does well:)