PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if...

for-sure
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:45 AM
you were in a grand slam final. Your first (and last) and you were losing 6-0 5-0 (40-0) and suddenly the person broke their arm and foot...making them unable to even stand on court.

Would you...

Leo_DFP
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:47 AM
They could still stand on the other foot and would probably win.

for-sure
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:48 AM
let us say they can't

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:54 AM
I will say that I was about to make a comeback and was going to win anyway. You've gotta have confidence in yourself. ;)

LindsayRocks89
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:55 AM
I would retire and give the title to the other player, even though i would really want to win, but it wouldnt be fair to the other player, so i would do the right thing.

Leo_DFP
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Probably #1. First of all, it's the moral thing to do. How can you even live with yourself by taking a Slam title so cheaply? And I wouldn't want to be remembered as the "fake" Grand Slam Champion. I mean, look how people criticize Justine and her 2 Major wins for stupid reasons. Can you imagine the backlash from the media if a player was to win a title this way?

tennnisfannn
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Probably #1. First of all, it's the moral thing to do. How can you even live with yourself by taking a Slam title so cheaply? And I wouldn't want to be remembered as the "fake" Grand Slam Champion. I mean, look how people criticize Justine and her 2 Major wins for stupid reasons. Can you imagine the backlash from the media if a player was to win a title this way?Actually Justine's criticisms are warranted to a degree, she had a choice in the actions taken. In the above hypothetical case, if you weren't responsible for the broken arm, then the win will have been deserved coz you were the last person standing. The match point still has to be played.

PointBlank
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Retire first, so the title would go to the injured player

azza
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:33 AM
People if it was only 3-3 first set and the person got injured u wouldnt retire and say here have the trophy would u?? so even if its 6-0 5-0 40-0 they got injured and thus retiring its not your fault they got injured

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Um.. what if you're winning 6-0 5-0 and the other player got injured? What makes YOU think that they couldn't come back? :shrug:

Did you guys watch matches involving a player named Jana Novotna? Hmm..

skanky~skanketta
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:46 AM
i would jump up and down and screech in disbelief at my good luck. after all, i'm a million dollars richer. who da fuck cares about moral values when u're rich?

i would no way in hell retire and give them an additional $500000 when its prolly a terrific shot of mine that caused them to break their foot anyway.

a person's gain is another's pain. so long as i'm not at the painful end, i'm fine with it.

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:49 AM
i would no way in hell retire and give them an additional $500000 when its prolly a terrific shot of mine that caused them to break their foot anyway.
:haha:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:31 AM
i cant believe u guys are all saying "oh, i'd retire first" thats such BS!i mean, think about it. if u retired first, it'd have to be cuz of an injury. and since u DONT have one. its till cheating. throwing a match. its illegal. shouldnt u have faith in yourself that u could make a comeback at least to BELIEVE u could have won?

faboozadoo15
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:24 AM
sometimes winning a tennis tournament is about being the last person standing. besides, in that match, something i did may have caused them to be unable to continue, which is unfortunate, but "earned." earned sounds so harsh, but when you are playing someone and they start cramping up, that's something you have earned, so why would this be any different?

the media would probably have a circus with it, but you could come out smelling like roses if you persay, split the prize money with them... but kept the trophy.

and besides, even if this person couldn't stand, if they were good enough to beat me that badly, they could just let me ace them, or wait for a few double faults to secure victory. nowhere in the rules does it say that u havge to be standing during your return games-- or does it??? lol

but if they were that good, they could throw in a few serves and take the match uncomfortably. i wouldn't want to be known as the person stupid enough to give up the prestige of a grand slam either. "they couldn't even give him a grand slam he was so bad" isn't something i'd like to be remembered by either ;)

irma
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Um.. what if you're winning 6-0 5-0 and the other player got injured? What makes YOU think that they couldn't come back? :shrug:

Did you guys watch matches involving a player named Jana Novotna? Hmm..

so that's why novotna lost that wimbledon match 93. she realized that no way she would have had that lead if her opponent had not been posioned by the doctors to even have been able to play. Novotna is as a good woman as all the people on this board and just trew in double faults and missed smashes so that the better player would get the title anyway;)
She wasn't crying afterwards because she lost, but because it was so sad that the opponent had to miss the wimbledon ball because she was sick thanks to those doctors

What a great woman she is;)

j/k of course

tennis is a hard world. somebody who has sympathy for the opponent will never reach a slam final in the first place! You have to think: I made the woman run so that she broke her foot or she had to overdue her serve otherwise she would get killed by my amazing return :p ;)

bis2806
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:09 AM
dude it's be like so weird if your opponent breaks his arm during the match.... that's really scary

skanky~skanketta
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:38 AM
tennis is a hard world. somebody who has sympathy for the opponent will never reach a slam final in the first place! You have to think: I made the woman run so that she broke her foot or she had to overdue her serve otherwise she would get killed by my amazing return :p ;)

my sentiments exactly.

Dawn Marie
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:44 AM
If your ass is getting trounced 6/0 5/0 40/0 it wouldn't matter. Tennis is mental and the broke down person would continue to trounce their opponent anyway.

They could easily serve 5 straight aces or unreturned serves.

Look at Vee and Rena they could do it easily.. without moving their feet.:)

skanky~skanketta
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM
if a tough serve is returned as a short ball, they would have to move.

tennnisfannn
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM
I just realised this is not such a far fetched situation. Last week Chanda was said to have been injured in her second round match, I fully expected her to retire or withdraw in the match against Venus. venus beat her to it, if Venus had been healthy i am sure we would still not have seen a QF match coz Chanda would have been out. So chanda goes down as a semi finalist with a semifinalist cheque all because Venus beat her to the withdrawal desk.They must have a full time person working there these days.

spudrsca
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Well, I would be a very lucky person if that happened.
That reminds me the Australian who won the gold medal in short track (speed skating) because the others collided and crashed.
It happened twice, in the semi-final and in the final.
He must be the luckiest gold medalist I've ever seen.

Brαm
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Be sad in the post-match interview but hold the trophy proudly high over your head

The ppl who pick option no.1 are just :cuckoo:
It's a grand slam title, for God's sake!!! :eek:

Tompier
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Third option :) It happens that one player is winning and then suddenly gets hurt and have to retire, remember Toronto final Hingis vs Serena ?? Serena was winning 6-0 3-0 and get injury and retired as the resultafter some lost gems anyway), Hingis was still happy about win it is normal I guess.

shap_half
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
This is a tough one. It would have to depend on how well I was playing prior the injury. I mean if the only reason the other person was winning is due to my erratic play, then I wouldn't be adverse to taking that prize. However, if we were both playing really well and I still managed to be down that much in the match, then I couldn't possibly take that trophy. If it was a very well played match and there was clear indication that the opponent is just plain better than I am even when playing my best, I could not take that title if I know that I don't even deserve it. But if I was just really out of rhythm, I might consider saying that I believe that I would eventually find my range in the match and come back like so many other great comebacks. It was unfortunate Slutty McSlut broker her nose during the match and could not resume play, but I felt confident that I would claw my way back into the match and WIN!!!!

Lore
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I pick #4, it's a GS-final afteral
You should be stupid to let it pass by you, maybe you will go into the books as a cheat, but you'll have the money and a GS title.
And who says you won't win another GS, you wil have some talent if you reach the final of GS.

Redhawk
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:20 PM
gimme the plate, baby! :D

you guys kidding? this is about who's left standing at the end of the match, if you break your ankle or have a piano fall on top of you, you lose, that's it.

Pamela Shriver
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Why couldn't this have happened to me!!??!