PDA

View Full Version : What is the most exciting rivalry in the last years?

Billabong
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:07 PM
What is the best rivalry in the last years??
My vote goes to the Hingis-Venus rivalry, almost all 3-set matches and the highest quality matches!!! I also loved the Davenport-Hingis rivalry..

E. Blackadder
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:07 PM
jennifer-serena

LindsayRocks89
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:09 PM
i like serena/jenny, and lindsay/venus

bmxbandit
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Jelena and Davenport

I kid, I kid....

Billabong
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Yah the Serena-Capriati is a great one too!

Elske
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Davenport VS Hingis

harloo
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Serena vs. Capriati, and Venus vs. Lindsay. Martina vs. Venus was good back in the day also.:)

Leo_DFP
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Martina/Venus and Lindsay/Martina :)

Jericho
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Hingis/Venus definitely the best matches i have ever seen

hingis-seles
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Hingis-Venus. :hearts:

wongqks
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Martina Venus is very exciting indeed. But there are lopsided matches between them before.

My vote goes to Serena-Capriati. Coz I cannot recall a single match in which us tennis fans are dissappointed, it is always fill with drama, although Jen seems to win all the first few and Serena all of the latter, evenytime tha player has to play their top game to win, whether it is on grass, clay or hardcourt

Infiniti2001
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Hingis-Venus. Serena-Capriati are right up there too. Do you realize that Serena singlehandedly took away #1 from Jen?? It's like she was stalking her :lol: Well she did the same to her sis :sad: but I don't think it was as bad.

SJW
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Martina vs Venus Martina vs Serena Linzi vs Venus Serena vs Jennifer

alextreiber04
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Chanda vs. Kim :haha:

barmaid
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Intense rivalry is a "must" ingredient:p to have in today's game if it is to maintain the interest of any tennis fan. :rolleyes: With the exception of Justine and Jennifer's classic at last year's U.S. Open, I'd have to say Venus/Martina matches usually did have that special "ingredient" that heightened everybody's interest!!:worship: To keep pace with the parity of the men's game (competitive wise) rivalries have to be there to increase popularity in the sport..ig. Lindsay Davenport's "served on a platter" recent title in Tokyo.:confused: Get all these injuried players back..draw the lines....and "duke" it out!!:mad:

barmaid:wavey:

Hots4Safin
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:38 PM
i like serena-capriati the best. FO 02, tour champs 02, nasdaq 03, wimby 03. Every surface was so awesome. They really match up well, and you can see Serena wants to win soooo bad. Jen looks like she's hanging on for dear life for the latter parts of those matches...but hanging on well!

darren cahill
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:41 PM
i voted for jen/serena too

Gallofa
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I voted for Jennifer vs. Serena too. Some great matches.

Joseosu19
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I voted Jen/Serena, but Venus/Hingis and Hingis/Davenport are pretty great rivals too.

jenny161185
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Jenn V Serena never fails to deliver I love 01 Fo and 03 Wimbledon the most. Hingis against Venus were amazing matches aswell - I remember when I really got into tennis in 2000 the USO AND WIMBY matches were AMAZING and then that shocker in OZ to follow!

Knizzle
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I think Venus/Hingis is far and away the best rivalry. Jenn/Serena is good, but their matches have been kinda stale lately IMHO. They are only close because of Serena's erratic play. In 2002 their matches were way better.

Roddick_tease
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Jen/Serena? What? Every match between them is a really disgusting error-fest. The only really good matches they have played against each other are Wimbledon 2001, Miami and YEC 2002.

I'd say Hingis/Linday or Hingis/Venus. Hingis/Venus matches had high drama but there is no reason for Martina to be only 10-9 against her because she really choked away a handful of their most recent matches. And also although the points were exciting there were sometimes a lot of errors. But still an awesome match-up... yet Hingis/Lindsay matches were almost always closer and better played.

gmak
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:34 PM
lindsay/martina and martina/venus...

Belgium = Best
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Hingis - Capriati
Hingis plays well! :D

:wavey:

VeNuS#1LoVa
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Venus/Martina was by far the best, but the other good ones are Serena/Jennifer, Lindsay/Hingis, and Capriati/Hingis.

tennisIlove09
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Martina Hingis-Venus Williams was the best rivarly since Steffi-Monica/Steffi Arantxa. There hasn't been a good rivarly like that one since.

joaco
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Definetely Hingis-Davenport

MisterQ
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Hingis vs. Venus was just great. too bad it was somewhat short-lived... :sad:

Serena and Capriati have put together some amazing matches too.

calabar
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Venus-Hingis had all the makings of another Navratilova-Evert. Unfortunately is was short-lived. Who could forget the unforgettable semis at the USOpen '99 and 2000. Too bad it did not last.

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Does it surprise anyone that despite having played in 6 grand slam finals together the Venus/Serena rivalry only got 2 votes?

Dymension
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:59 AM
I love the Serena-Venus rivalry, I always love it when they play :bounce:

I also like Lindsay-Martina rivalry, they always had good matches against each other :)

Jane
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Venus-Martina looked like the start of a great rivalry: Too bad it was cut short. Serena-Justine has the potential to develop into a classic rivalry. It will be interesting to see what happens when Serena is back on the tour.

Couver
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Venus/Hingis for sure. I was always really excited and nervous when these 2 played. And the H2H ended up so close. It would have been nice to see it last a little longer.

PointBlank
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Jen and Serena always play their best against each other and they are the best :)

LucasArg
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Hingis vs Venus
Serena vs Venus

bandabou
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Serena vs Jen....although lately their matches haven´t been that good( save for wimbledon which was great.) In ´02 they played some of the best matches in that year.

azza
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Molik Vs Hatuchova

Greenout
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:33 AM
There were alot of great rival matches these past years.

Venus -vs- Hingis: The Early Years. This was really interesting back in it's
day. You just knew Venus was onto greatness soon; but Martina was determined
to not let it happen. There was alot of tension,drama, and ambition. The quality
of the matches weren't that great; but it was very entertaining. Really
emotional for some reason or another. You have to remember that when these
matches were happening in 1997 and 1998...Steffi, Monica, ASV, and Mary were
still there holding onto the mantle of champions, and it look to be a real
changing of the guard ambience about Hingis-vs-Venus. An end of an era
you might say for the other players.

Lindsay -vs- Hingis. The quality of matches were weird. Sometimes close,
sometimes complete blow outs with one playing dominating the othe; but
there was a real love of the game and spirit in these matches. There wasn't
much bitterness nor jealousy...their styles were so different it was like
a 2 different matches being played on the same court. I loved the respect
and heart in their rivalry matches. It was a great feeling whoever won on
that day. One thing very noticeable about their matches were that whoever
lost on a certain day never felt gutted nor intimidated in the next match.

Serena -vs- Jenn. This was the match of 2 players who were so much alike
dispite what surface appearances may given the impression of. The playing
styles were similar and so were the tactics. This rivalry was pure aggro
200% no one comes out alive, and quite scary at times. Not a pretty match
playing; but done with so much drive, guts and emotion that it was
amazing that they had the energy to do a press conference. What's interesting
to me in particular was the notable lack of trash talking between these 2.
Sure, there was alot of pride; but there was alot of respect to.

Justine -vs- LD, Jenn, Serena. I find these matches highly entertaining because
I always get the sense that LD, Jenn and Serena do not respect Justine at all
and there's more ego, pride, selfishness, gloating in these matches than other
varieties. Nobody want's to lose to Justine because she seems to wear her match
wins as a badge of honour and unknowingly rubs the others the wrong way.
The quality varies...but the loser always seems to go away with their tails
between their legs. It's all tension, angst, bitterness, shame in these matches.
Not the most prettiest endings; but the drama ratios is quite high.

oddkayla
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Who here mentioned Serena and Lindsay? Those two dont have a rivalry.

Stefwhit
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Justine -vs- LD, Jenn, Serena. I find these matches highly entertaining because I always get the sense that LD, Jenn and Serena do not respect Justine at all and there's more ego, pride, selfishness, gloating in these matches than other varieties. Nobody want's to lose to Justine because she seems to wear her match wins as a badge of honour and unknowingly rubs the others the wrong way. The quality varies...but the loser always seems to go away with their tails between their legs. It's all tension, angst, bitterness, shame in these matches. Not the most prettiest endings; but the drama ratios is quite high.I definitely agree with you in that what intensifies these matches are all the x-factors such as the tension, angst, internal motivations, etc... From a spectators point of view it just makes it that much more interesting.

A test of wills, a test of skills, who wants it more, who's got game- a good rivalvry is all about finding the answers to these questions. How does your best stack against my best- one can mistakenly think a good rivalvry is about both players bringing there "A" games, but that's not necessarily true. Someone pointed out that a lot of matches between Serena and Jen are filled with a lot of errors, even still I find that particular rivalry among one of the best in the game. All of the mathces were always competitive no matter the winner-error ratio. You never doubt that either girl is giving anything less than their best. For some reason these girls seem as if they really don't want to lose against the other- more so than with other players. The Justine-Serena rivalry is shaping up to be good for these same very reasons.

The Venus-Hingis rivalry was classic because you had two different players with totally different styles of play going at it. Both players always believed they were the better of the two players- which just added to the drama.

Interesting that Justin-Kim and Serena-Venus aren't as popular and also interesting that Kim isn't mentioned like the other girls. I wonder why Kim doesn't match up agains other players to produce the same excitement that the others can produce with one another.

"Who here mentioned Serena and Lindsay? Those two dont have a rivalry."- oddkayla
I don't think anyone mentioned them cuz it's just as you said, they don't have a rivalry. Interesting note about that match up is that off all the players Lindsay has played through out her career, that's her most lopsided losing record against any player (2-9).

Two great quotes about "competion":
There is no competition but for the second place. --Dryden.

Where competition does not act at all there is complete monopoly. --A. T. Hadley

TonyP
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM
The number of choices sort of proves that the depth of women's tennis has improved from the days when it was Chris vs Martina and Steffi vs. Monica. The idea that you would have ten different match ups that would at least draw attention says something,

I personally find it difficult to pick a favorite out of this group, but I suppose if I had to, it would be the Martina vs. Venus match ups. But I also witnessed some great Lindsay vs. Martina matches, the best of them being in the finals of Zurich in 2000, a three set spellbinder that you pretty much didn't know who the winner would be until the very last game played.

Right now the least interesting would have to be Venus vs. Serena (very one sided right now and not really producing either drama or good tennis) and Kim vs. Justine, although the last AO did have its dramatic moments. KIm and Justine both have the talent to put on a great show and have a great on court rivalry, if Kim ever gets her head together. If not, it will be a real disappointment.

Crazy_Fool
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Venus v Hingis or Serena v Jen.

SJW
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Justine -vs- LD, Jenn, Serena. I find these matches highly entertaining because
I always get the sense that LD, Jenn and Serena do not respect Justine at all
and there's more ego, pride, selfishness, gloating in these matches than other
varieties. Nobody want's to lose to Justine because she seems to wear her match
wins as a badge of honour and unknowingly rubs the others the wrong way.
The quality varies...but the loser always seems to go away with their tails
between their legs. It's all tension, angst, bitterness, shame in these matches.
Not the most prettiest endings; but the drama ratios is quite high.maybe it's Justine who doesn't respect Serena...bar the lying and fabricating comments Serena has been positive about Justine. let's think before Serena got injured (you don't miss anything until it's gone) Justine said some pretty rude things about Serena.

i'm also not happy about her comments she made about Linzi in Zurich...as she knows now, it's not nice to be called a faker. and she can't blame her inability to execute a gameplan (at that moment in time) against Linzi.

re Jennifer, i would like to see something Jennifer said that was wrong about Justine

so you're correct in mentioning "lack of respect", but i can't say i'm too certain you got it the correct way

justine&coria
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:15 PM
There isn't a real rivalry for the moment between Justine and Serena, : it'll start this year !

alfajeffster
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Given the option, I would have voted for Graf/Hingis, even though the h2h isn't close. Their matches were almost all close, and very competitive, and very interesting from a stylistic match-up point of view.

Stefwhit
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
alfajeffster- Do U really think the Graf/Hingis rivalry was that good. Out of the 25 sets of tennis that they've played Steffi has won 6-2 or better nine different times, winning 6-0 sets three times. They had maybe two or three really good matches but Hingis didn't win often enough for a rivalry to even exsist. Graf had a better rivalry with Seles even after the stabbing or with Davenport toward the end of her career than she did with Hingis....

alfonsojose
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Davenport vs. Hingis

alfajeffster
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM
alfajeffster- Do U really think the Graf/Hingis rivalry was that good. Out of the 25 sets of tennis that they've played Steffi has won 6-2 or better nine different times, winning 6-0 sets three times. They had maybe two or three really good matches but Hingis didn't win often enough for a rivalry to even exsist. Graf had a better rivalry with Seles even after the stabbing or with Davenport toward the end of her career than she did with Hingis....
1995-02-13ParisIndoor HardcourtQFSteffi Graf (GER)6-2 6-3
1995-06-26WimbledonGrassR128Steffi Graf (GER)6-3 6-1
1996-05-06RomeClayQFMartina Hingis (SUI)2-6 6-2 6-3
1996-06-24WimbledonGrassR16Steffi Graf (GER)6-1 6-4
1996-08-26U.S. OpenHardcourtSFSteffi Graf (GER)7-5 6-3
1996-11-18WTA Tour ChampionshipsIndoor CarpetFSteffi Graf (GER)6-3 4-6 6-0 4-6 6-0
1998-11-09PhiladelphiaIndoor CarpetQFSteffi Graf (GER)6-2 4-6 6-0
1999-02-01TokyoIndoor CarpetQFMartina Hingis (SUI)3-6 6-2 6-4
1999-05-24Roland GarrosClayFSteffi Graf (GER)4-6 7-5 6-2

I did say even though their h2h wasn't close. The score lines indicate that 5 of their matches went 3 sets, and I've watched many of those matches, and in fact was there for the impossible to find on tape Philadelphia match from 1998, and it was terrific tennis. Graf was better, no question, but Hingis DID push her quite a few times.

bandabou
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM

But then again, Alfa enjoys any rivalry where Steffi has a winning h2h....;)

bandabou
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:18 PM
maybe it's Justine who doesn't respect Serena...bar the lying and fabricating comments Serena has been positive about Justine. let's think before Serena got injured (you don't miss anything until it's gone) Justine said some pretty rude things about Serena.

i'm also not happy about her comments she made about Linzi in Zurich...as she knows now, it's not nice to be called a faker. and she can't blame her inability to execute a gameplan (at that moment in time) against Linzi.

re Jennifer, i would like to see something Jennifer said that was wrong about Justine

so you're correct in mentioning "lack of respect", but i can't say i'm too certain you got it the correct way

Yep...and the funny thing is that it is her now who´s SOOOOOOO desperate to earn respect.

alfajeffster
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
But then again, Alfa enjoys any rivalry where Steffi has a winning h2h....;)
You got that right- and she has so many winning h2hs against such a variety of players.

bandabou
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:29 PM
You got that right- and she has so many winning h2hs against such a variety of players.

Yeah, just like Serena....cool, huh?!

alfajeffster
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah, just like Serena....cool, huh?!
Well at least she's carrying the torch. I hate those periods where there really isn't a clearly defined girl that everyone knows is the best, and when she's on, she's virtually unbeatable (not that anyone is unbeatable). Clearly, the following players had stretches in their careers in the past 40 years where they were carrying the torch:

Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, and yes, for a 2 year period, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf again, Martina Hingis for 1 brief year, then Serena Williams.

I didn't include Venus, because I don't think she ever really approached the unbeatable status. Serena, clearly, and she's still the "one to beat"!

bandabou
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Well at least she's carrying the torch. I hate those periods where there really isn't a clearly defined girl that everyone knows is the best, and when she's on, she's virtually unbeatable (not that anyone is unbeatable). Clearly, the following players had stretches in their careers in the past 40 years where they were carrying the torch:

Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, and yes, for a 2 year period, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf again, Martina Hingis for 1 brief year, then Serena Williams.

I didn't include Venus, because I don't think she ever really approached the unbeatable status. Serena, clearly, and she's still the "one to beat"!

yep...I kinda agree with you on Venus..She was tough, but she still was a half of a year only kinda player.