PDA

View Full Version : Commentating Injuries e.g Kim

Raj
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:21 PM
A bit late for this message and sorry if the point has been mentioned before........

I watched nearly all my favourite Kim Clisters matches during the Australian Open and was getting continually annoyed when the commentators kept going on about Kims injury. Each time she would lose a point (the commentators thought she should have made) they would start on about her foot. It got so annoying I nearly put the remote on mute.

I get really pissed of when commmentators start making excuses about players poor play and blaming it on an injury.

I think we all know that a player would not be playing unless they knew they were 100% or close to 100%. They are professional sports people.

A further point on Kim, if she really is not 100% or close to 100% she should not be on that court and she is not doing herself justice. She needs to take an example from Serena who would not even consider playing unless she really felt the title was hers. I say this even though she is my favourite.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
i agree with you to a certain extent. the thing with kim or many other players for that matter, is that sometimes, the feel that they can win even though they arent 100%. kim came close at the AO.

tennnisfannn
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Just shows that there is such a difference between the level Kim is playing at and what players like Myskina are playing at. Some injuries are playable with, in Kim's case the pain seemed bearable, in Mauresmo's case it seemed impossible. I am sure Amelie would have made the semis if it hadn't been too painful, she could have played fabiola at 60 % and survived her.
Judging by the scoreline all the way to the finals, kim didn't seem hampered at all. even against justine she moved fine.

Raj
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I suppose it comes down to the depth in womens tennis again.

And its not helping when there are top players like Serena, Venus, Mauremo, Jennifer, Seles,Chanda and Kim al injured!

Thats like 6-7 top ten players or players that were in the top ten injured!

All I can say is get well to these players and with the tour on full strengh and with all these players not injured there would be some great 4th round matches in slams like Henin V Davenport last year and even better Quarters!

P.S. The point of this thread was to see if i was the only one who got pissed off when commentators start to commentate the injury and not the match, as a player would not be playing if the injury was unplayable and the player thought they could not win, as in the case of KIM in the AO.
So please if there are any commentators shut up about the injury otherwise the player would not be on court. Don't spend 50% of the time commentating the injury. e.g. " I think she missed that cos os the injury! " every two seconds.

ans
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I think we should leave the decision whether to play or not to the players themselves.