PDA

View Full Version : The first tournaments where the actual topplayers were seen as potential topplayers ?

justine&coria
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Well I'd like to know this :
1) in which great tournaments (and year) the actual top-players had their first matches in the "final draw" ?
2) in which great tournaments the actual top-players were said (by other players or tennis experts) that they'll have a great career ? (it might be the same "answer" as first question !)

Concerning Justine, I know that she won her very first tourny ! It was in Australia I think. And at Berlin, Venus said she would one day be number 1 !

But I'd like to know especially for Serena, Hingis, Venus, Kim, Seles, Davenport, Capriati (i think it's when she was 14 y.o), and Mauresmo ! I really can't remember : so if the fans could tell me, i'll be :) !
Thanks in advance !

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Lucic won her first tournament and was real promising.... not to be.

Serena obviously debuted well in Chicago.

Was Wimbledon 1999 Kim's first tournament, she did awfully well.

~|Naomi|~
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I thought JHH won her first tournament in Antwerp on clay.

For Kim WImbledon 1999 was her breakout when she beat coetzer and made round 4 as a qualifier on slam debut. Or you could say Luxembourg 1999 when she beat Van Roost in the final.

Dokic, Hopman Cup when she won it beating Sanchez and Testud

hingis-seles
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Seles beat Chris Evert to win her 1st Tour title in Houston in 1989, when she was 15.

Mauresmo beat Novotna and Davenport in Berlin in 1998 on her way to the final before losing to Martinez.

Venus reached the quarters of Indian Wells in 1997, beating Iva Majoli (Top 10-only player other than Hingis to win a Slam that year) before losing to Lindsay Davenport in the quarters in a third-set tiebreak. After she won her first title in Oklahoma City, she said that she'd always remember it as the place where it all started.

Serena beat Mary Pierce and Monica Seles in her first event on Tour in Chicago in 1997. The score against Seles was 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.

~|Naomi|~
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Was Wimbledon 1999 Kim's first tournament, she did awfully well.
Her first slam. She had made her WTA debut a couple of weeks prior in Antwerp and made main draw as a lucky loser and made the QF to help get her rank just inside top 200 and into Wimbledon quallies draw.

hingis-seles
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Hingis beat Graf at the Italian Open in 1996, but reached the final of Hamburg, with upset wins, in 1995 before losing to Conchita Martinez. At the Slams, she reached the quarters of Aussie 1996, but beat Sanchez and Novotna before falling to Steffi in the semis of the 1996 US Open.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Dokic debuted awesomely:

First Tournament:

Pattaya - R1 Lost to Halard Decugis (2) in 3

Hopman Cup - Lost to Coetzer, def Sanchez VIcario, def Testud, def Carlsson

Aus Open - def Makarova, def Brandi, Lost to Hingis...

irma
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Martina the second broke through in Hamburg 95 when she beat Novotna and Huber to reach the final. of course she already had made some quarterfinals before. and was already touted as the future star since french 93!

paul_masterton
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:06 PM
kim won ehr first title at sheffield 10k in 1997 i think

Kart
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I'm not really answering your questions but here's some random stuff:

Seles won the fifth tournament she ever played, beating Evert in the final. She then reached the semis of the French in her next tournament, only a year later she won the title.

Hingis and Venus were pretty much hyped from the moment they entered the tour, partly because the WTA had let them both slip through the AER net - Venus had an amazing junior record and Martina was a French open junior champion at age 12 I think.

Martina took a while before a stunning run in Hamburg before Conchita crushed her.

Venus showed her promise from pretty much her second match because she pushed ASV to three sets in the year that ASV had already won the US and French opens.

Mauresmo broke through in Berlin 1998 falling to Conchita in the final. She pushed world no.1 Martina Hingis to three sets at the US open before her famous grand slam final appearance in Oz the next year.

Aged 14, Capriati reached the final of her first tournament falling to Gabriela Sabatini :hearts:.

Lindsay I'm not too sure about - I don't remember well but she was certainly consistent and in the top ten within about a year and a half of her debut which was pretty rapid.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM
i think Safina made the quarters/semis of the first tournament she played, pls correct me if im wrong.

sartrista7
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Serena beat Mary Pierce and Monica Seles in her first event on Tour in Chicago in 1997. The score against Seles was 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.

It wasn't her first Tour event. She'd played the Moscow main draw the previous week and lost to Kimberly Po in the first round, and prior to that had lost in various WTA qualifying events to Alexia Dechaume-Balleret, Magui Serna and Dominique Van Roost. (I think Dechaume-Balleret is one of only two players who have ever bagelled Serena - the other is Mary Joe Fernandez.)

Dinara reached the semis of her first WTA main draw (Estoril '02) but she'd lost in a couple of qualifying rounds in '01 (as well as some Challengers).

turt
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:45 PM
(I think Dechaume-Balleret is one of only two players who have ever bagelled Serena - the other is Mary Joe Fernandez.)Justine won six games in a row against Serena in Charleston, from 0-3 to 6-3... I know it's not really a bagel but... ;)

bandabou
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Justine won six games in a row against Serena in Charleston, from 0-3 to 6-3... I know it's not really a bagel but... ;)

How desperate....bagel is what Serena did with Juju at the´01 u.s. open. That´s a bagel.