PDA

View Full Version : Will Seles ever return to the Top 10?

Grice
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Juz wondering, what are your views on:
1) whether can Seles return to the Top 10? and
2) what does she have to do to get back there?
3) Can she cope with the groundstrokes of rising stars like Petrova, Sharapova and so on?

and btw, what's her new ranking? i reckon she lost a lot of points cos she didn't defend Tokyo.. :confused: :sad:

katrientje
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM
If Monica manages to recover fully I think she might. she will not be number one in the world, but she will be higher ranked than Chanda, Ai and probably Myskina

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:04 AM
she theoretically can play top 10 level but being in the top 10 is another thing, that takes quality play in a variety of tournaments whilst staying healthy...

Grice
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:10 AM
hmmm.. i hope she gets back to the Top 10 so that she can retire in style.
but the road to the Top 10 seems so tough.... from 100 over to top 10?

esquímaux
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Come back Monica. Keeping us in suspense like this is :bs:

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
But Seles is practically the only player who makes me smile at her presence, just seeing her on court is enough for me :)

crazillo
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM
well, i doubt she´ll ever return ro the tour....... so no top-10, too.

Grice
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:43 AM
But Seles is practically the only player who makes me smile at her presence, just seeing her on court is enough for me :)

woooo.. didn't know Spikey is an ardent Seles' fan too! cheers! :wavey:

yes, she makes me smile too. and cry even, like when she defeated Venus at AO 2002. that was touching.

Andy T
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:04 PM
woooo.. didn't know Spikey is an ardent Seles' fan too! cheers! :wavey:

yes, she makes me smile too. and cry even, like when she defeated Venus at AO 2002. that was touching.

If she can stay fit and healthy, she has every chance of making it back to the top 10. She has to think carefully about her schedule, though. The last few years, she's played for too many weeks in a row, then been off and injured for long periods. She needs to pace herself better and intermingle tournaments with training work.

Darop.
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Spikey youre a monica fan? :confused:

Anyways, same as spikey, just seeing her out there grunting and just smackind the ball is enough to get a smile on my face :)

Rollo
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Words of wisdom Andy!:worship:

and best of luck to Monica. No disrespect towards Myskina, Sugiyama, Dementieva, etc, but even at 75% Seles is a superior player.

Darop.
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:12 PM
It will be EXTREMELY hard for monica to come back to top 10, she said that even if she were to play again, she would play a very small schedule, which means less points, so even if she were to have a top 10 game when she comes back, it will be hard for her to get in.

Grice
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Words of wisdom Andy!:worship:

and best of luck to Monica. No disrespect towards Myskina, Sugiyama, Dementieva, etc, but even at 75% Seles is a superior player.

good to hear that... hope she can still handle these players easily, in view that she'll be facing them pretty early if she's seeded below 16 or even unseeded...

hingis-seles
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Monica's the greatest ball-striker at the moment, in my humble opinion.

Top 10 shouldn't be a problem for her.

Andrew.
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Monica is currently ranked 107, and will be ranked around 200 when she is scheduled to return. I'm just hoping for a return myself, but if she does come back I say top 20 definately, top 15 probably, and top 10 hopefully. :angel:

St.Sebastian
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I guess she could reach top-10 again but rather the spots 7-10. The case is just if she'll be able to play around 15 events a year.

SJW
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM
you know, if someone told me i had to see her beat Serena 6-0 6-0 in a slam final for her to come back, i wouldn't think twice.

in fact, i don't know who i'd support if they met :retard: i just wanna see both back and healthy

GO MONICA and SERENA :hearts:

Volcana
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
You'll know the first time you see her on court. If she's no fatter than Lindsay or Kim, then yes. To make it back to the top ten, she has to be injury free for 12 months. That won't happen if her weight's up where it's been since 1996.

Once she has a couple tournaments under her belt, she's a threat to anyone except Henin-Hardenne or Davenport right now (Venus, Serena, Jenn, Amelie are all question marks, so I don;t wanna hear about them). But making the top ten will require consistent QF or better finishes in TIer I, II and GS tournaments for a year. Is she going to be in condition to do that?

vancouverite
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:25 AM
You'll know the first time you see her on court. If she's no fatter than Lindsay or Kim, then yes. To make it back to the top ten, she has to be injury free for 12 months. That won't happen if her weight's up where it's been since 1996.

Once she has a couple tournaments under her belt, she's a threat to anyone except Henin-Hardenne or Davenport right now (Venus, Serena, Jenn, Amelie are all question marks, so I don;t wanna hear about them). But making the top ten will require consistent QF or better finishes in TIer I, II and GS tournaments for a year. Is she going to be in condition to do that?
And will her foot withstand the pounding those QF finishes would require? Health/fitness, health/fitness....may she come back with both of these intact! And Volcana, I wouldn't dismiss any of those dangerous 'question marks', as I'm sure Monica wouldn't were she to face them in a match...;)

azza
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:33 AM
No

Sammm
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I don't see her ever beating Petrova, but she can get back in to the top 10, definitley.

vancouverite
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I don't see her ever beating Petrova, but she can get back in to the top 10, definitley.
You're kidding, right? The first six games of her match against Petrova at the French last year - a match she played against medical advice - convince me Seles has what it takes to beat Petrova decisively, barring injury or a chronic lack of fitness.

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM
rankings are is used a numerical figure, what Monica has already been through and the way she has handled it is already an achievement.

vutt
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:06 AM
I’m afraid one can’t do anything against aging human body. (Unless you are Martina N.) That’s why majority of professional tennis players usually quit playing around that age.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM
hmmm.. i hope she gets back to the Top 10 so that she can retire in style.
but the road to the Top 10 seems so tough.... from 100 over to top 10?

Steffi did it...but then again Steffi's game and fitness(when she regained it) was able to transcend to the next generation of players, which is why she retired in style ranked #3.

When Monica comes back I'd like to see a visible change in her fitness level, something that says she's fit for the battle. I'm not so sure she still has that burning desire to match her pure love of the game.

Ballbuster
Feb 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Never!

It is a wrap for Monica. She should go bear children.

rfs1999
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Yes ! Monica

Sofiane
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Steffi went out 8 months for reconstructive knee surgery, she came back to number 3.
Won the French and made the finals of Wimbledon at almost 30 years of age, so I guess Monica can come back to the top ten too.

Sofiane
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Steffi did it...but then again Steffi's game and fitness(when she regained it) was able to transcend to the next generation of players, which is why she retired in style ranked #3.

When Monica comes back I'd like to see a visible change in her fitness level, something that says she's fit for the battle. I'm not so sure she still has that burning desire to match her pure love of the game.
We posted at the same time?

DA FOREHAND
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Love of the game alone will not get it done, unless that includes a serious fitness routine.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Top 10 for Seles means playing a full schedule and she can do it if she is healthy.

But, I dont think its her priority. I think she just wants to play her best tennis once enetered into any tournaments she wants.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM
The question is can she play her best tennis if she's not in good shape? Me thinks not.

Brαm
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM
You'll know the first time you see her on court. If she's no fatter than Lindsay or Kim, then yes.

:rolleyes:

I don't think Lindsay/Kim are fat, really! :confused:

Lynn
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:11 PM
It's time for men's tennis players to shine

By Brent Ainsworth, IJ Sports Editor, February 9

With Venus and Serena Williams constantly nursing injuries and flirting with their future careers in Hollywood and high fashion, women's tennis in the United States is vulnerable right now.

What better time for American men to capitalize and snag some attention - at least in the few days before pitchers and catchers report.

Anyone curious about the best U.S. male players will get a prime chance to learn everything they'd want to know by watching the $355,000 Siebel Open, which begins today at San Jose Arena and finishes Sunday. The only ATP tour stop in the Bay Area will feature top seed Andy Roddick and No. 3 seed Andre Agassi.

"Every where I go, I get a number of people asking me questions about American men's tennis," said Taylor Dent, a stocky Newport Beach resident who is ranked No. 23 in the world and plays tonight at the Siebel Open. "Right now, it's strong and getting stronger sooner than people thought it would."

Young stalwarts such as Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt and a half dozen full-time claycourters led by Juan Carlos Ferrero appear to be Roddick's best competition for No. 1 in 2004. Agassi has an outside shot to return there for a short period, which would be an epic achievement and clearly boost him on the all-time-greatness-o-meter.

But nobody else has shown the combination of power, touch, smarts and consistency that Federer has. It will take a super-human effort to unseat him from No. 1 for an extended period.

Only six Americans have held the No. 1 spot since the ATP started its rankings. Roddick recently joined the list that includes Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Jim Courtier, Pete Sampras and Agassi. To have another American scale the highest peak in the near future would be a jaw-dropping shocker.

Yet, it's astounding to most tennis followers that there are 10 Americans in the top 100. Bonus for the Stars & Stripers.

Those in the club are: Roddick (No. 1), Agassi (5), Mardy Fish (21), Dent (23), Robby Ginepri (25), Vince Spadea (27), James Blake (37), Todd Martin (58), Jan-Michael Gambill (65), Brian Vahaly (86).

Fish, Dent, Ginepri and Blake have a strong chance to stay in the top 50 for quite a few years to come. Spadea, Martin and Gambill ... well, to quote an old Aerosmith song, all their get up and go must've got up and went.

Outside of the top 100, there doesn't appear to be a single name with top-50 potential, with the possible exception of reigning Tiburon Challenger winner Alex Bogomolov, who is 20. Add a second name, Dmitry Tursunov, if he joins his Russian pal Bogomolov and becomes a U.S. citizen.

Realistically, which American other than Roddick and Agassi has a chance at No. 1, or even the top five?

"I really don't see anybody on that list," said veteran reporter Matt Cronin, who follows the tour full-time for Inside Tennis magazine. "There's a lot of talent there, but not No. 1 talent."

Even if the Holy Grail is out of reach, competition among Americans will be intense.

"If you ask me, beating each other up will make us more competitive players and the better we will become," Dent said. "I'm about as big a supporter of American tennis as you can get. I think it's great we have so many guys in the top 100."

Although the American men have an excellent opportunity to steal some thunder from their female compatriots, the women still have the men beat when it comes to world representation.

There are 14 American women in the WTA's top 100. They are: Serena Williams (No. 4), Jennifer Capriati (5), Lindsay Davenport (6), Chanda Rubin (10), Venus Williams (14), Lisa Raymond (24), Meghann Shaughnessy (30), Laura Granville (44), Ashley Harkleroad (47), Amy Frazier (51), Samantha Reeves (73), Alexandra Stevenson (89), Jill Craybas (92) and Tara Snyder (100).

***Notice that list does not include 30-year-old Monica Seles, who is No. 107 and who is rumored to have very little interest in returning to the tour full-time.

Belgian friends Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters are Nos. 1 and 2 in the WTA rankings by a massive margin. Clijsters has almost double the ranking points (6603) than No. 3 Amelie Mauresmo (3611) as of last Sunday's numbers (new ones come out today). Henin-Hardenne, who just won the Australian Open over Clijsters, is way ahead with 7328 points.

Out of all those American women in the top 100, who is a serious threat to the Belgians or the Williams sisters? As long as they are healthy and committed, you'd have to say Capriati and Davenport. Although Capriati turns 28 next month - 14 years after turning pro - and Davenport turns 28 in June, age really isn't a factor (ask Andre Agassi or Martina Navratilova). The sticking point is the healthy and committed part.

Serena Williams hasn't played since beating her sister in the Wimbledon last July, and judging by her smily appearances in all facets of the media, she's having a great time experiencing life off the court. She isn't expect to play until March when her gimpy knee is ready for full-throttle punishment.

Venus Williams has played well in 2004, but was blind-sided by Raymond at the Australian Open and withdrew from the quarterfinals last week's Pan Pacific Open because of a leg injury. Davenport ended up winning the Tokyo tournament.

Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters and both Williams sisters are in their early 20s. Same goes for Federer and Roddick. As they duke it out on tennis' pedestal, dozens of other American players can only hope to earn a solid living making the quarterfinals each week.

Meantime, the Siebel Open should be plenty entertaining during the winter sports doldrums in the Bay Area. Stanford basketball and the first-place Sharks will only carry us so far. The question is whether anybody will be talking tennis - American tennis - in a month or two, or at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Opening Day looms.

alfonsojose
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:13 PM
No. She'll retire this year

Kart
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Whatever she does or doesn't do she's still :hearts:.

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
You're kidding, right? The first six games of her match against Petrova at the French last year - a match she played against medical advice - convince me Seles has what it takes to beat Petrova decisively, barring injury or a chronic lack of fitness.

The last ten convinced me otherwise. ;)

CinnamoninCinema
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:15 PM
A healthy, albeit 30 year old Monica, would still hold a place in the top ten. If she's still playing as she did in 2002. But it could well be that she never returns.

CJ07
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Monica is still a better player than the latter portion of the top 10

if she can put 16 events together and be relatively healthy she can definately hit the top 10, maybe top 5 if in top shape

faboozadoo15
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM
well i don't think monica's weight will be of issue, honestly. she's been photographed several times since the us open and she looks fine in that regard (i thiught she looked good). personally i think she's a threat to anyone-- the moment she sets foot back on court. monica has an unending love of the game that won't go away just because she's been gone for several months. and even if it's a "farewell tour" she would still win lots of matches. she's still better than some top tenners, imo, no matter where she's ranked.

Volcana
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:21 PM
And Volcana, I wouldn't dismiss any of those dangerous 'question marks', as I'm sure Monica wouldn't were she to face them in a match...;)
My personal favorite is one of those question marks. But injured is injured and we'll see them when we see them. I'm not sure Jen is even anything except out of shape and unmotivated.

Volcana
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:24 PM
she's still better than some top tenners, imo, no matter where she's ranked.I got mu come-uppance at OZ over assumptions like that. You're better thantop ten players whenyou're beating them. It kills me to say this, but Venus is ranked where she should be right now. I think Monica's rank for seeding purposes will be #18 when she returns, and as far as I"m concerned, that's right until she starts beating players ranked ahead of her.

Rep means nothing, as Lisa Raymond proved to my regret.

faboozadoo15
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:32 PM
I got mu come-uppance at OZ over assumptions like that. You're better thantop ten players whenyou're beating them. It kills me to say this, but Venus is ranked where she should be right now. I think Monica's rank for seeding purposes will be #18 when she returns, and as far as I"m concerned, that's right until she starts beating players ranked ahead of her.

Rep means nothing, as Lisa Raymond proved to my regret.
i agree, good points. but this won't be the first time someone will be "ranked" around there and have a lot more game than ppl ranked a little bit ahead. we'll just have to see in the next few months how this will pan out. im almost sure she will get a special seed, but even in miami that will give her one difficult draw. unless of course a lot of ppl withdraw :rolleyes: which i would never hope for.

faboozadoo15
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
bump

BigB08822
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Wont Monica have a protected ranking for a bit, allowing her to get seeded into some big tournaments therefore helping her chances of getting deeper into the draw? I think this will help her chances a lot and will make it much easier than someone who has to come from 200 to top 10 the old fashioned way.

faboozadoo15
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Wont Monica have a protected ranking for a bit, allowing her to get seeded into some big tournaments therefore helping her chances of getting deeper into the draw? I think this will help her chances a lot and will make it much easier than someone who has to come from 200 to top 10 the old fashioned way.
of course. that's assuming that she gets a sepcial seeding to go with her special ranking. she's gold exempt, which means she would get a bunch of wildcards anyway, but now maybe she'll be seeded as the #18 player in the world, which makes a huge difference at almost any tournament.