PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Davenport will win another slam

DannerCal
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM
I think Davenport will continue to find her Grand Slam form and win another slam this year. Her confidence will lift after her latest win, and she will capitalize on the fact that injuires are effecting so many top players.

What does everyone else think?

ys
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Yep, she beat so many great players, all Grand Slam contenders..

LindsayRulez
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:23 AM
I really hope you're right!

I can tell you what most of everyone else will say: that she has no chance in hell.

But we'll just have to see how everything plays out.

Crubin
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:26 AM
When we see her play at Indian Wells and Miami this year we will see. Until then we won't know, but she won't win Roland Garros...thats for sure...maybe US Open because Venus and Serena won't let nobody take their title.

LindsayRulez
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Yep, she beat so many great players, all Grand Slam contenders..
I don't think he was talking about the players that she had to beat to win the title, he was probably referring to her domination this week (losing only 13 games), her high confidence level, and the fact that she has beaten some players in the recent weeks who gave her trouble in the last year and a half when they shouldn't have.

2004, the year of Lindsay Davenport, I like the sound of that :cool:

per4ever
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I seriously doubt it. Didn't she said that she's thinking of retiring just because she can't win the big ones anymore??

I can't see her win against Serena, Venus, Kim or Justine. Those 4 have grown to a whole other level.

tennisIlove09
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:53 AM
I hope so, but Indian Wells will be a test for her. She will be the player to stop Clijsters...and she hasn't come close to beating her in a long time.

Rothes
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:13 AM
It's possible, but time is running out, In the next year she will have to make a move.

Couver
Feb 8th, 2004, 07:20 AM
I think Lindsay still has the game, it was there in Australia. But Lindsay has to work on her attitude. She lost her fight in Australia and it cost her that match. Lindsay hits her shots so well I think she was used to winning her slams by purly outplaying her opponents. She can still do that, but now she needs that extra "Umf" to keep going even when her game is ugly.

Anyway I think she can and I think it would be great. A win over Kim or Justine this year would greatly boots her confidence as well.

Maajken
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM
linds can still beat anyone on any given day, no one's unbeatable. if she stays injuryfree, she'll be one of the biggest contenders at both wimbledon and the open and have a great chance of winning too

Jeff
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:49 AM
You cannot base Lindsay's performance in Tokyo on her performance in Slams.

But obviously if she'd start believing again, definetly she is a contender.

Sam L
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I've said that Lindsay will never win a slam again since like 2002. And I'm still standing by it. A Tier I is hardly a grand slam.

hollywood7172
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM
even though lindsay owns capriati in their head to heads, i think cappy has a better chance of winning a slam again than davenport. why? because capriati actually comes close to beating the belgians or serena when they meet.

bandabou
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:07 AM
This was a tier I, but it wasn´t really a tier I. I don´t see how beating Dokic, Maleeva,etc...suddenly makes Lindsay a slam-contender. She ain´t and she knows it herself.

Only good for the qrtrs and the odd semi, but that´s it.

Maajken
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
its not about winning a tier I and beating whoever she beat. its about winning a title the way she did and getting confidence.

JackFrost
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:22 PM
its not about winning a tier I and beating whoever she beat. its about winning a title the way she did and getting confidence.
Yes, but would she have won this title so easily, when her opponents were not Hantuchova, Dokic and Maleeva, but Henin, Clijsters and Serena? So it is about the opponents she beat.
Second Row players like Lindsay, Jennifer, Dementieva, Myskina can only win titles, when first class players like the Williams, Justine and Kim are hurt or not there.

Experimentee
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Sorry i dont see it, not unless the draw opens up for her. Lindsay's won Tokyo so many times, and thats done nothing for her performance at Grand Slams. Tokyo has always been the weakest Tier I and winning it doesnt mean anything for the Slams.

bandabou
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Of course....but I don´t see how winning this title beating who she beat, is gonna give her any confidence?! But maybe it´s just me....if I was Lindsay and I CAN´T beat Maggie and Dokic, then I´d start worrying...beating them is routine. She looked confident after Hopman Cup too and looked what happened against Juju at the Oz.

I think that a win over the big 4 is a real confidence-booster.

Greenout
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:31 PM
I think she does; if she believes. Let's look at it this way, right now
her form is better than Venus or Serena. Lindsay's confidence couldn't
be considered any higher or lower than Kim's. Today's title should at
least give her something happier to believe in than Kim. If she were
to play Kim(whom she's been losing badly to in recent times..) LD would
win. LD against Zhoo-steen would be difficult. Zhoo-Zhoo is is has razor
sharp steel nerves nowadays.

RG? We can count LD out on that. It looks to be another ABF (All Belgian final).
Wimbledon? This looks to be a 4 way dog fight between a Williams family
member , Zhoo-steen, Kim and a Russian or Amelie.

Now the US OPEN. Ok...this is the big window of opportunity IMHO. Kim is
targeting this event; Zhoo-steen is not. (She's doing her schedule based on
a Olympic gold medal) USA hardcourt is ideal for LD. This is the one event
that I think can go either way to Kim, LD or Venus. I have LD listed in
my notes for Sept 2004 as USO contender.

Jakeev
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
You cannot base Lindsay's performance in Tokyo on her performance in Slams.

But obviously if she'd start believing again, definetly she is a contender.
And that is what is basically boils down to. She beat who she was supposed to beat in Tokyo. But she did not have to face Venus in the final who probably who have been Lindsay's toughest opponent.

But I am not gonna say never say never with Lindsay. If she wants to win one more slam she is gonna have to go get it and get over her hurdle against the sisters and the Belgians.

bandabou
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM
I think she does; if she believes. Let's look at it this way, right now
her form is better than Venus or Serena. Lindsay's confidence couldn't
be considered any higher or lower than Kim's. Today's title should at
least give her something happier to believe in than Kim. If she were
to play Kim(whom she's been losing badly to in recent times..) LD would
win. LD against Zhoo-steen would be difficult. Zhoo-Zhoo is is has razor
sharp steel nerves nowadays.

RG? We can count LD out on that. It looks to be another ABF (All Belgian final).
Wimbledon? This looks to be a 4 way dog fight between a Williams family
member , Zhoo-steen, Kim and a Russian or Amelie.

Now the US OPEN. Ok...this is the big window of opportunity IMHO. Kim is
targeting this event; Zhoo-steen is not. (She's doing her schedule based on
a Olympic gold medal) USA hardcourt is ideal for LD. This is the one event
that I think can go either way to Kim, LD or Venus. I have LD listed in
my notes for Sept 2004 as USO contender.

Someone is being waaaaayyyyy too optimistic.

LindsayRulez
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, but would she have won this title so easily, when her opponents were not Hantuchova, Dokic and Maleeva, but Henin, Clijsters and Serena? So it is about the opponents she beat.
Second Row players like Lindsay, Jennifer, Dementieva, Myskina can only win titles, when first class players like the Williams, Justine and Kim are hurt or not there.
Sorry, pal, but Lindsay may not be at the same level quite yet as the big four (the Belgians and the Williams - hell, 3 of those are even injured right now), but she is definitely in a different tier than Dementieva and Myskina, Jennifer is questionable.

LindsayRulez
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Okay, by the way, the "top four" aren't even the top four, as far as form or rankings right now; it's more like the top one and a half.

Justine is as solid as ever, you have to give her that much.

Kim is injured and has lost yet another slam final, can't do too much for the old confidence.

Serena hasn't played since Wimbledon and is already pulling out of tournaments left and right, I'd be surprised if she showed up in March.

Venus tried to come back, but was unsuccessful partly due to her new injury. Nonetheless, she has not shown that she is the same Venus that we've seen win slams in the past years EITHER.

I bet none of you would have said Lindsay would start this year with a 10-1 record (14-1 if you include Hopman Cup), now would you? And the one match she lost, she had a great chance at beating the world #1 but she lost it mentally - she's human, get over it.

I knew this thread shouldn't have been started, it would only stir up things between bitchy Lindsay haters and Lindsay fans...

Greenout
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Someone is being waaaaayyyyy too optimistic.

So, what? I'm tired of all the whiny babies on this board. Don't
see anything wrong with being optimistic!

Andrew.
Feb 8th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Okay, by the way, the "top four" aren't even the top four, as far as form or rankings right now; it's more like the top one and a half.

Kim is injured and has lost yet another slam final, can't do too much for the old confidence.

Serena hasn't played since Wimbledon and is already pulling out of tournaments left and right, I'd be surprised if she showed up in March.

Venus tried to come back, but was unsuccessful partly due to her new injury. Nonetheless, she has not shown that she is the same Venus that we've seen win slams in the past years EITHER.

I bet none of you would have said Lindsay would start this year with a 10-1 record (14-1 if you include Hopman Cup), now would you? And the one match she lost, she had a great chance at beating the world #1 but she lost it mentally - she's human, get over it.

I knew this thread shouldn't have been started, it would only stir up things between bitchy Lindsay haters and Lindsay fans...

:worship: :worship:

I think it's only a matter of time before she wins another one. People have failed to mention this: This is the first title Lindsay has defended since 2001, and it is also the first final she has won in straight sets since 2001. This is a real confidence booster for her. And for this year she is now 1-0 in finals. ;)

Excellent point about the 10-1 (14-1) record this year. And two of the wins at Hopman Cup were spankings of both Amelie and Myskina. I expect Lindsay to take that confidence to either Wimbledon or the US Open, and kind of do a Graf or Sampras type thing. Win one more slam, finish out the year strong, then play her indoors and call it a day. I perfect ending to a great career. :worship:

paellapan
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
:worship: :worship:

I think it's only a matter of time before she wins another one. People have failed to mention this: This is the first title Lindsay has defended since 2001, and it is also the first final she has won in straight sets since 2001. This is a real confidence booster for her. And for this year she is now 1-0 in finals. ;)

Excellent point about the 10-1 (14-1) record this year. And two of the wins at Hopman Cup were spankings of both Amelie and Myskina. I expect Lindsay to take that confidence to either Wimbledon or the US Open, and kind of do a Graf or Sampras type thing. Win one more slam, finish out the year strong, then play her indoors and call it a day. I perfect ending to a great career. :worship:

Glad to see you're over your mood of desperation after her loss against Hénin at the AO (where has that thread gone btw ?) and you're again a fan of Lindsay :p

LindsayRocks89
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM
well i think that Lindsay has as good as chance as anyone to win a slam because even though she didnt beat the "big four" she still one a title and that always gives you confidence, other lindsay fans have pointed out other things so im not going to type them again, but i really do believe Lindsay has a chance of winning a slam this year :)

GoDominique
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Sorry i dont see it, not unless the draw opens up for her. Lindsay's won Tokyo so many times, and thats done nothing for her performance at Grand Slams. Tokyo has always been the weakest Tier I and winning it doesnt mean anything for the Slams.
Exactly. Tokyo means nothing. She won it last year and nothing changed.

Lindsay needs a miracle to win another slam, and that would be a path to the title without facing Venus, Serena, Kim or Justine. Could happen, who knows.

Bút at the moment I rate her changes much lower than I did before AO.

Andrew.
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Exactly. Tokyo means nothing. She won it last year and nothing changed.

Lindsay needs a miracle to win another slam, and that would be a path to the title without facing Venus, Serena, Kim or Justine. Could happen, who knows.

Bút at the moment I rate her changes much lower than I did before AO.

Without facing Venus? World number 14 who is yet to beat a top 10 since coming back? :tape:

GoDominique
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Without facing Venus? World number 14 who is yet to beat a top 10 since coming back? :tape:
Yes, you are correct. That's what I meant.

K-Dog
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Um, when has Venus played a top ten player in a real WTA match yet?? Oh yeah, she beat Rubin in Hong Kong 6-2 6-3.

Anyway, getting back to the subject of this post. Lindsay needs to make a promise to herself to stay positive, and to let things go against the top players. This is all in Lindsay's hands. I hope we at least see Lindsay in one more slam final before the end of her career. She had such a great chance in Melbourne this year.(4-0 in the first set against Justine)

bandabou
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Yeah, yeah....keep telling that to yourself. Or better: HOPE that it stays that way!