PDA

View Full Version : Watson wins battle of Aussies

Mattographer
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Cindy Watson from Australia showed why she was once ranked 131 in the world with a 6-4 6-1 victory over compatriot Lauren Breadmore in the final of the ASB Bank International in Wellington on Sunday.

In the best conditions of the tournament the match never got out of second gear as both players struggled to find rhythm and to hold serve.

But a win is a win and Watson was clearly delighted after an injury plagued 2003.

"It's just great to be back playing after last year".

For Breadmore it was a disappointing end to her title defence. After saving two match points in her quarterfinal on Friday and showing fighting qualities all tournament she was hampered by a leg injury on Saturday and failed to hold her serve at all during the match.

The injury also throws into jeopardy her immediate plans to play in India.

In the doubles Kiwi Shelley Stephens and her Australian partner Kristen Van Elden won an entertaining final over the Australian pair of Emily Hewson and Nicole Kriz 6-1 3-6 6-3.

7 Cindy Watson(AUS) bt 1 Lauren Breadmore(AUS) 6-4 6-1

3 Shelley Stephens(NZL)/ Kristen Van Elden(AUS) bt 4 Nicole Kriz(AUS)/ Emily Hewson(AUS) 6-1 3-6 6-3

Source: nzoom

Date published: Feb 08, 2004

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:18 AM
watson shud have got at least a qulifying wc into the aussie open

azza
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Ranking points :lick:

Aussie_Kim
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:08 AM
21 Watts.
Did you used to go by another name??
(oh and I agree good luck to Naomi)
and Well Done Cindy!!! :worship:

Mattographer
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Yes, I request for changed my username from AlexSydney to 21 Watts ;)

broncosven
Feb 8th, 2004, 10:06 PM
GO CINDY!!!

u have lots of talent . . that how u got so high

coming back from injury is hard but u have potential so lets start the climb back up